You mean fire sprinkler water isn't clean? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > General Chit-Chat
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-06-2012, 08:39 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 88939
You mean fire sprinkler water isn't clean?

The movies always show fire sprinkler water as crystal clear as a mountain stream, what on earth would cause oily black ooze?? LMAO

Who wants to bet someone was trying to hang a decoration off a head?

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow...165006406.html

Bride drenched in ‘oily black ooze’ from hotel sprinklers on wedding day

.By Eric Pfeiffer | The Sideshow – 22 hrs ago...

A hotel in Georgia literally rained on a bride's parade, covering her wedding party in an "oily black ooze" just moments before the ceremony was scheduled to begin.

Local affiliate WSBTV Channel 2 Action News reports that Shalita Harris were prepping for the ceremony at the Westin Hotel in College Park when the hotel's sprinkler system kicked in, drenching them. Video from the incident shows the women covered in "black soot."

"Before we got ready to leave the room, we heard a big boom." Harris said. "I felt like my life was going to end right then and there."

Firefighters and paramedics were called to the scene and five members of the wedding party were taken to the hospital after reported breathing problems. And somehow, in the midst of all the commotion, one child reportedly had a tooth knocked out.

"The sprinkler just came on and out of the sprinkler came black stuff," Bridesmaid Jasmine Robinson told the station.

Nonetheless the wedding ceremony still went on as planned. Well, mostly as planned. Only two of the eight bridesmaids were at the ceremony, as the rest were at the hospital either as patients or attending to friends.

The Westin Hotel's manager says only one room was affected by the triggered sprinkler system and tells WSBTV the cause of the dousing is still unknown.

Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready. Theodore Roossevelt

Last edited by Rekless_Off_Road; 06-06-2012 at 08:40 AM.
Rekless_Off_Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 08:42 AM   #2 (permalink)
Who stole my title?

Member # 70825
So they get a little wet and dirty and they have to be taken to the hospital?

WTF?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screwzer2 View Post
Huh. Yeah, I guess you're right.
void_of_light is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 08:46 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 3935
Quote:
Originally Posted by void_of_light View Post
So they get a little wet and dirty and they have to be taken to the hospital?

WTF?
They are laying the groundwork for a lawsuit.
southernfriedcj8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 08:47 AM   #4 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 83100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rekless_Off_Road View Post
The movies always show fire sprinkler water as crystal clear as a mountain stream, what on earth would cause oily black ooze?? LMAO

Who wants to bet someone was trying to hang a decoration off a head?
I wouldn't take that bet. I've seen some nasty stuff from sprinklers. On commercial systems, that water stays in the steel pipes until a head goes off.

I like this: "The Westin Hotel's manager says only one room was affected by the triggered sprinkler system and tells WSBTV the cause of the dousing is still unknown."

Bullshit, they just don't want to dump on the wedding party. And of course only one room was affected, that's the way they are SUPPOSED to work. A single sprinkler handles about 99% of the fires.
Old 06-06-2012, 08:49 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 148982
Someone definitely hung something from the head or it got hit somehow. They don't just pop. The water is like black ink after its been stagnant in the system for several years and it does stink but it smells like money to me.
Pat McRotch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 08:50 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 146603

I have heard they are changing the pipes being used in residential systems so something like this wont happen, well the water would happen, it would just be cleaner.

-Alex

http://www.MasterPull.com
-- Recovery Gear of the 10 and 11 Griffin KOH -- Official Recovery Gear of Cal-Neva Extreme and Area BFE in Moab
Master-Pull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 08:51 AM   #7 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 49595
They would have had a fit at my work, our water comes right out the river and when the sprinklers go off you can find small fish and tiny ass crabs on the floor.
RSWORDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 08:54 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 148982
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master-Pull View Post

I have heard they are changing the pipes being used in residential systems so something like this wont happen, well the water would happen, it would just be cleaner.

-Alex

They use cpvc in residential... No oil or rust.
Old 06-06-2012, 08:55 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 119773
Shalita Harris , someone with that type of name would complain to a local news channel.
tsommers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 09:00 AM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 943
The movies get so much wrong when it comes to fire sprinklers this just happens to be a bonus no one thinks about.
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 09:06 AM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 4878
Send a message via ICQ to Travis Waldher Send a message via MSN to Travis Waldher Send a message via Yahoo to Travis Waldher
Quote:
And somehow, in the midst of all the commotion, one child reportedly had a tooth knocked out.
Kid probably got kneed/ran over by the adults.

OH MY GOD!!! THE SPRINKLER SYSTEM KICKED ON!!! RUN FOR YOUR LIVES!!!

Last edited by Travis Waldher; 06-06-2012 at 09:06 AM.
Travis Waldher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 09:06 AM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 76368
My building has MILES of 50 year old steel pipe. However, the water is always really clean. We completely drain the system for a twice a year inspection, and everytime the water is crystal clear, and no smell at all. I know in Arkansas it is mandatory that your system be inspected annually, and when they inspect ours they drain it every time.
Old 06-06-2012, 09:07 AM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 40793
Send a message via AIM to Nightshade Send a message via MSN to Nightshade Send a message via Yahoo to Nightshade
Well at least her clothes won't rust.
Old 06-06-2012, 09:12 AM   #14 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 9154
The typical sprinkler pipe is un coated steel, the black oily goo water is the result of the corrosion going on inside the piping. Oxygen is needed to complete the corrosion process so as the pipe rusts it uses up all the available oxygen and the corrosion stops but not till it has turned the water into this black SMELLY goo. The plastic residential systems prevent this, however the objective is to never need the water I suppose?
'01 21.5 boat w/502 "Evil Satisfaction"
v6toy4x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 09:19 AM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 148982
Quote:
Originally Posted by X2elite View Post
My building has MILES of 50 year old steel pipe. However, the water is always really clean. We completely drain the system for a twice a year inspection, and everytime the water is crystal clear, and no smell at all. I know in Arkansas it is mandatory that your system be inspected annually, and when they inspect ours they drain it every time.
Flushing systems is not mandatory for inspections. That's your company that has it done unless its the authority having jurisdiction that wants it done. What is stored or manufactured in the building?
Old 06-06-2012, 09:24 AM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 88939
Quote:
Originally Posted by X2elite View Post
I have never heard of a system needing to be drained for a bi-annual inspection. And I do tons of work in hospitals, colleges, etc.

I do know that I have modified heads in a hospital day after day, and we had to drain the system in the morning, and fill it back up at nights. No matter how much you flush it, it still has that cutting oil smell to it.

Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready. Theodore Roossevelt
Old 06-06-2012, 09:27 AM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 88939
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatCJ View Post
I wouldn't take that bet. I've seen some nasty stuff from sprinklers. On commercial systems, that water stays in the steel pipes until a head goes off.
Yeah, got that, sarcasm apparently is not found on the interwebs.

I was saying that I bet someone was trying to hang a decoration off a head and that is why it went off.

Old 06-06-2012, 09:28 AM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 148982
Are you a sprink reckless??
Old 06-06-2012, 09:48 AM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 88939
Nope, Commercial General Contractor

I do a lot of work in hospitals. So am fairly involved with all of the Fire Life Safety stuff.

Been at it 11+ years, and for the first time saw a copper sprinkler piping system in a high rise downtown. Thought that was odd?

Last edited by Rekless_Off_Road; 06-06-2012 at 09:48 AM.
Old 06-06-2012, 09:53 AM   #20 (permalink)
Team Helen Keller

Member # 128472
I set the sprinklers off in high school. We had a "tool crib" in auto tech where we stored all the tools. The floor was slick and I had a wrench in my hand. Slipped, threw my arm up to try to gain balance, "THWANG", got showered. WATER EVERYWHERE. The water line cutoff was in a locked room. So the FD came by, searched for the key for like 30m, then cut the door open. I have no idea how many thousands of gallons gushed out of that thing. It was full bore for almost an hour. We had to put all the cars on the lifts to raise them out of the water. I was sick to my stomach, but for the rest of the year we laughed about it. Fun times.

But yea, that water is not clear. Who knows how long its been sitting in those pipes.

Quote:
1. NEVER, EVER date a single mother.
Quote:
Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.
JM93LiftedYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 09:54 AM   #21 (permalink)
Pura Vida

Member # 42720
There is no way Sheniqua lit a joint in the room or anything like that. No way.

THE MEEK SHALL INHERIT NOTHING
ChaseYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 09:56 AM   #22 (permalink)

Member # 148982
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rekless_Off_Road View Post
Nope, Commercial General Contractor

I do a lot of work in hospitals. So am fairly involved with all of the Fire Life Safety stuff.

Been at it 11+ years, and for the first time saw a copper sprinkler piping system in a high rise downtown. Thought that was odd?
I've seen alot in Hawaii. Not so much here. Downtown as in Portland? Where at? IIRC your from around here..
Old 06-06-2012, 09:56 AM   #23 (permalink)
Team Helen Keller

Member # 128472
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaseYJ View Post
There is no way Sheniqua lit a joint in the room or anything like that. No way.
Actually, sprinkler systems work by having a piece of lead blocking the water. The room has to get hot enough for the lead to melt to activate. Unless there is something new out there, lighting a smoke will not activate a sprinkler.

Quote:
1. NEVER, EVER date a single mother.
Quote:
Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.
JM93LiftedYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 10:04 AM   #24 (permalink)

Member # 47901
We had a job at an old abandoned grocery store that was going to be rehabbed into a school. Pipes hadn't been inspected in 15-18 years from the reports we found on site. The water coming from the drain was yellow and carbonated from the time in the pipes. Every time we had to remove a drop we would vacate for a smoke break due to the smell.

Last edited by my-xj-addiction; 06-06-2012 at 10:05 AM.
my-xj-addiction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 10:08 AM   #25 (permalink)

Member # 88939
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat McRotch View Post
I've seen alot in Hawaii. Not so much here. Downtown as in Portland? Where at? IIRC your from around here..
Yep, Portland. I am personally out in the Beaverton area.