Do you charge friends for your help?... - Page 4 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > General Chit-Chat
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2012, 03:00 AM   #76 (permalink)
Designated Wrench.

Member # 62881
It's simple. If it costs money and it's not mine it shouldn't come out of my pocket. If you're helping me the fridge is full, let me know when you get hungry. Likewise if I'm helping you.

Growing up my Dad had a full on shop at the house, fab tools, 2 post lift, I started telling people that werent close friends that it was $20 to use the lift and $10 an hour to run the compressor. Poof they were gone.
Old 07-20-2012, 03:58 AM   #77 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 38193
Quote:
Originally Posted by McCracken View Post
this.

recently I helped a guy work on his truck for ~12 hours. I missed another friend's wedding because of it. I even let him use my welder with wire when his shit out. fast forward a couple months and my wife's jeep blows an engine. he's a mechanic by trade so I ask if I could get a hand pulling and putting a new one in. all I would need is a few hours of his time. he told me to pound sand basically. said he was tired and needed to rest because he works on cars all day
I can kinda understand that, but he owed you for the 12 hours. I know the last thing I want to do is draw when I get home after a long day drawing at work (I'm an illustrator). Working on rigs is recreation, working on artwork is not.
Old 07-20-2012, 04:53 AM   #78 (permalink)

Member # 41137
Send a message via AIM to McCracken
Quote:
Originally Posted by Screwzer2:14593441
Quote:
Originally Posted by McCracken View Post
this.

recently I helped a guy work on his truck for ~12 hours. I missed another friend's wedding because of it. I even let him use my welder with wire when his shit out. fast forward a couple months and my wife's jeep blows an engine. he's a mechanic by trade so I ask if I could get a hand pulling and putting a new one in. all I would need is a few hours of his time. he told me to pound sand basically. said he was tired and needed to rest because he works on cars all day
I can kinda understand that, but he owed you for the 12 hours. I know the last thing I want to do is draw when I get home after a long day drawing at work (I'm an illustrator). Working on rigs is recreation, working on artwork is not.
If it was my wheelin' rig i could understand but this was my wife's vehicle. It's really the only vehicle we own i feel good about her driving with the baby in it. If there was an emergency she'll have to either load up the F250 or wait for me or the grandparents 15mins away.

I don't ask for help unless i really need it. I've always tried to do everything on my own because i don't like bothering people with my problems. He knew and didn't care enough to help. I've not decided yet but the next time we ride and he breaks i may not feel like helping since i've been riding all day and might be tired. Bitch move? Yeah but what goes around comes around.
Old 07-20-2012, 05:43 AM   #79 (permalink)
Hillbilly Houndsman

Member # 13420
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceofspades1 View Post
And some just want freebies,
You will always run into that.
There are friends that if they called in the middle of the night, I would get up and do what I could do to help.

There are buddy's, I'll help if I can, when I can. Sure, bring it over and I'll work on it. If they are in a pinch, I will help them unless it puts me in a pinch.

There are acquaintances that I know, would help if I have nothing better to do, and generally a one shot deal. I help them once, if I never get anything in return - then they owe me one. They will never get a chance to "owe me two".

I have been in the same situation. I volunteer to do work for a friend. An acquaintance says, "Hey could you come do that work for me?"
I say, "No, I have too many things of my own going on. You might want to call ________."

In garage/shop setting. People show up all the time.
Tell them for the work they want to do will cost xxxxxxx.
Say, "We are busy working on this. You might want to take it elsewhere to get it worked on."

Some will understand, others will be a little bitch about it. You don't want those types hanging around anyway.

I'll give you an example of those type of people. They are opportunist.
One guy I know would imply, and come out and ask women if they wanted to go out/have sex/fawk/etc.
He asked them all. It was rude and embarrassing to be anywhere around him.
He was asked, "Why do you ask every woman you see if they want to fawk?"
He replied without pause "Cause one of might want to".

www.MountaineerOffroad.com
SilverZuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 10:33 PM   #80 (permalink)

Member # 32891
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverZuk View Post
You will always run into that.
There are friends that if they called in the middle of the night, I would get up and do what I could do to help.

There are buddy's, I'll help if I can, when I can. Sure, bring it over and I'll work on it. If they are in a pinch, I will help them unless it puts me in a pinch.

There are acquaintances that I know, would help if I have nothing better to do, and generally a one shot deal. I help them once, if I never get anything in return - then they owe me one. They will never get a chance to "owe me two".

I have been in the same situation. I volunteer to do work for a friend. An acquaintance says, "Hey could you come do that work for me?"
I say, "No, I have too many things of my own going on. You might want to call ________."

In garage/shop setting. People show up all the time.
Tell them for the work they want to do will cost xxxxxxx.
Say, "We are busy working on this. You might want to take it elsewhere to get it worked on."

Some will understand, others will be a little bitch about it. You don't want those types hanging around anyway.

I'll give you an example of those type of people. They are opportunist.
One guy I know would imply, and come out and ask women if they wanted to go out/have sex/fawk/etc.
He asked them all. It was rude and embarrassing to be anywhere around him.
He was asked, "Why do you ask every woman you see if they want to fawk?"
He replied without pause "Cause one of might want to".
I have sense this post begun asking for consumable compensation for those who never offered ( payment being brew, food, trades etc) and a lot o people have stopped hounding me and has givin me time to focus on my own builds. Funny how that works...
aceofspades1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 11:09 PM   #81 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 203479
My buddies know a pack of smokes, a 18pack of Bud, and sone Jack n box...ill beover in a heartbeat for most jobs.
Buck Ofama
UndefinedTaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:34 AM   #82 (permalink)

Member # 50525
I do things the way most here do. Good friends, as in the type that call you up and say "hey let's go grab a beer tonight", much more than they ask for favors, I don't mind helping out at all for small jobs like brakes. They still usually buy me dinner or a case of beer for it. Larger jobs for those type of friends, they are welcome to use my shop and tools, and I help them out when they need a hand or get stuck. Most good friends that are too busy to be able to come do the work themselves, or have zero knowledge on how to do it, insist on paying me and I do it for half of what I would charge a random customer.

Acquaintances, as in they call for a favor more than other reasons, are generally welcome to come and use my tools for small projects, like 30 minutes of welding, or get a reduced rate on what I would typically charge for larger projects that I do for them.

You shouldn't feel like you are being a dick to them if you start asking for money, and can probably get a pretty good side business going from a group of them if you do good work and charge them $35 per hour or so since they are friends. Just let them know that you are short on time and can't keep hooking everyone up for free, but you would be happy to give them a deal on stuff. You don't have to make everything formal and fill out invoices and all that, just say for building a bumper you would want $200 plus materials costs.
gatorgrizz27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:50 AM   #83 (permalink)

Member # 153769
I usually get labor or some other form of barter when helping out friends.
I painted one buddies tj for him he did most of the sanding and body work I provided the shop and tools. He ended up helping me move to the new shop and took me on a hunting trip. No cash changed hands.

Now he has his YJ at the shop all torn apart. He has been trading me parts and labor helping out around the shop a lot. Nice to have an extra set of hands around that don't cost me any cash.
Old 12-05-2012, 09:59 AM   #84 (permalink)

Member # 1479
Quote:
Originally Posted by spidr View Post
Even for good friends, they need to cover expenses.
Agreed.
Someone helping another person should never be out of pocket for some consumables or anything else.
If someone comes to help me with something at my house, they get fed and given beverages, usually of their choice, and if there's a tool that I don't have that would make their helping me easier, I buy that tool. Because hiring a "professional" to do the work I want done would be waaayyyy more money.

If I had someone weld something for me, I would want to give them at least a 10 or 20 spot to more than cover any possible expenses on their part.
Old 12-05-2012, 10:11 AM   #85 (permalink)

Member # 547
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceofspades1 View Post
Was wondering the line in which it's time to ask for some payment when it comes to "helpin the friends".

Lately I've been doing some major work... At my house... With my welder, tools, tube bender, time.
Back inthe day our club use to have "wrench athons" we all show up at a club members home to wrench and drink.. there was usually one guy that benifited more than most by getting off without payin chit.. what comes around goes around, tit for tat.. some guys ain't got chit to pay, well they can do something in return, moe the lawn, paint the house, do computer tech stuff.. clean the gutters..
Old 12-05-2012, 10:33 AM   #86 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 32145
I'm rarely the one people come to for fab work, but Ive helped lots of friends with projects. I'm always willing to help, but don't expect to drop off a vehicle at my house and come back when the work is done. Real friends won't do that.

I have a friend who does fab work on the side and any time I have him do work for me I have no expectation that I'm getting anything for free. He treats me very well on labor prices but he is doing top notch work. A lot of the work is stuff I can't really help with as well. We generally work out a price before hand and I have no problem paying him for the work he does.

If you know up front what you are being asked to do, and you think you should be compensated for the work, that should be on the table up front. If you agree to help someone out on something big and you realize it was a lot of work after the fact, IMO it's too late to try and get paid. If they keep dumping more on to the small project, take a break and work something out before you are all the way into it. Again, I don't think friends would really do this (at least mine wouldn't).
bgredjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 10:38 AM   #87 (permalink)

Member # 2741
Quote:
Originally Posted by spidr View Post
Even for good friends, they need to cover expenses.
And good friends will ALWAYS not only offer, but insist that you take the money or whatever to make it right.

Otherwise, you should begin to be "too busy" to help the freeloaders. They'll either get it or they won't, but at least you won't be stuck working on their junk for free.

Last edited by Schly; 12-05-2012 at 10:39 AM.
Schly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 11:16 AM   #88 (permalink)

Member # 197879
I'll charge them somewhere's around $10/hr. It accounts for beer, electricity, tooling, labor, etc.
Old 12-05-2012, 12:13 PM   #89 (permalink)

Member # 128286
My close group of friends and I barter with cutoff wheels.
daryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 12:22 PM   #90 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 22104
I know I could have a fulltime computer virus removal job if I did them for free.

If you are over 65, I will gladly take desserts!

I get some killer pies and cookies.
Old 12-05-2012, 12:32 PM   #91 (permalink)

Member # 96278
Did I already post in this thread? I don't really feel like checking.
Old 12-05-2012, 12:37 PM   #92 (permalink)

Member # 85771
Quote:
Originally Posted by daryl View Post
My close group of friends and I barter with cutoff wheels.
them bitches get spendy!!
Old 12-05-2012, 01:10 PM   #93 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 143241
I try to take care of friends. I am quick to help most anybody I know. I am also quick to say no to anyone that I feel is abusing my good nature. If somebody helps me, it is important to me to try to make sure they feel compensated.
Jbevs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 02:23 PM   #94 (permalink)

Member # 4391
Send a message via AIM to punkskalar
I charge my friends double the standard price... If they don't totally freak out, then I don't collect... If they throw a fit, fawk em - didn't want them in the shop to start with.

Too many people think that gas, wire, grinding wheels, wire wheels, paint, drillbits, machining tools and inserts, and crap like that are free
Old 12-05-2012, 02:27 PM   #95 (permalink)
Badass?

Member # 192722
If I did I could be close to retirement or at least have a lot more money than I do have.
Landman87 is offline   Reply With Quote