How much notice is too much?? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > General Chit-Chat
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2012, 11:14 PM   #1 (permalink)
'Merica. Fuck Yeah!

Member # 25703
How much notice is too much??

Heres the deal. Since February, I have been working two fulltime jobs to eliminate the accumulation of retarded debt we accured as young adults. I was originally working from 3:30 to midnight M-F at a heavy truck dealership. The parts store I had been doing all my shopping at needed an expierenced hand, so I took an 8-3 M-F position there. My wife tells me we will be in the clear around December, and that I can go back to a single job.
While I have been at the truck shop 3 years, I have decided to leave them and stay at the auto parts store. Its just a better fit for me, and I want to have a day job again. Plus buying at cost helps my vehicle habits alot!!
Anyways, my night job is a pretty tough spot to fill, and I want to give them plenty of notice so they have a chance to hire someone to replace me and get that person trained. I was thinking of giving them a months notice?? I dont want to burn any bridges there, as they have been good to me. I dont think they will just tell me to hit the road when I give notice, but you never know.
Whats the PBB think?
Old 07-28-2012, 11:27 PM   #2 (permalink)
mega hack!!

Member # 139150
a months notice for a good employer should cover it if you ever want to go back. maybe enroll in some night classes to give a decent excuse......

(enter witty comment here to prove level of coolness)
sjracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 11:30 PM   #3 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 22176
Make sure you are ready to leave the same day you give notice. Some employers will dismiss you immediately when you give notice. It depends how valuable and how much backup they have for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyComanche View Post
If you can make wine in a toilet, you can make wine in Texas.
Beat95YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 11:36 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 199782
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beat95YJ View Post
Make sure you are ready to leave the same day you give notice. Some employers will dismiss you immediately when you give notice. It depends how valuable and how much backup they have for you.
This. I would wait until you no longer need it, then give a month's notice. Not like an extra month of cash will hurt. If you frame it as wanting to help train your replacement and make sure the company is taken care of, then you probably won't get much flak unless the super/owner is a dick.
ABearden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 11:49 PM   #5 (permalink)
'Merica. Fuck Yeah!

Member # 25703
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABearden View Post
This. I would wait until you no longer need it, then give a month's notice. Not like an extra month of cash will hurt. If you frame it as wanting to help train your replacement and make sure the company is taken care of, then you probably won't get much flak unless the super/owner is a dick.
thats how I'm going to put it, and thats how I mean it. I dont have any intention of leaving them hanging, since they have been good to me. In the three years I have been here, I have not seen anyone give notice and quit. Everyone that has left has just walked out and not come back!! Good company, and they pay well. Seems like they hire hot headed people, I guess.

Last edited by 86k30; 07-28-2012 at 11:49 PM. Reason: i r speeling wetarded
86k30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 11:50 PM   #6 (permalink)
G_P

Member # 139985
Once you give notice they are going to start looking for your replacement. If they find him 2 days later they will most likely give you the boot. Wait until your debts are paid and you no longer need the job then give notice. If they can you early then its no big deal.
Old 07-29-2012, 12:05 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 50525
If you were a great employee and they aren't dicks, they are likely going to be cool with it and tell you if you ever want to come back you are welcome to. A month is definitely plenty, 2 weeks is the standard most places.
gatorgrizz27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 12:09 AM   #8 (permalink)
The dude abides

Member # 114517
I gave a boss of 12 years a "heads up"that I would be leaving,and that I wanted to give him plenty time so he wouldn't be screwed.I told him I didn't have an exact date,but would be at least a month.He cut my hrs. a week later,and laid me off.I was his lead man for 10 years.I guess after all ,Business is Business.Big lesson learned for me.I should have kept my mouth shut.

Last edited by DEER TICK; 07-29-2012 at 12:10 AM.
DEER TICK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 01:03 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 136280
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEER TICK View Post
I gave a boss of 12 years a "heads up"that I would be leaving,and that I wanted to give him plenty time so he wouldn't be screwed.I told him I didn't have an exact date,but would be at least a month.He cut my hrs. a week later,and laid me off.I was his lead man for 10 years.I guess after all ,Business is Business.Big lesson learned for me.I should have kept my mouth shut.
Word

Sent from my mudwhistle via lemmiwinks.
Old 07-29-2012, 07:23 AM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 16468
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86k30 View Post
I have been working two fulltime jobs to eliminate the accumulation of retarded debt we accured as young adults.
Good for you.
Old 07-29-2012, 07:47 AM   #11 (permalink)
F.I.B.

Member # 57167
I'm switching jobs here in the next few weeks and have no problems with my current employer. I am the head machinist at a job shop and we just lost 3 guys this year. I want to give them enough time to hire someone else and let me train them properly. I also haven't taken my physical for the new job yet, so as soon as I get the green light for I am giving notice for the rest of that week + 2weeks. That should be good. If it takes any longer than it is their problem.
JeepButcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 09:37 AM   #12 (permalink)
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Member # 53195
Keep workin the 2 jobs. Build a giant savings account. Retire at 30 years old
littlemeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 09:38 AM   #13 (permalink)
Alcohol Bon Vivant

Member # 196627
I would give them two weeks, but be prepared for them to let you go sooner(as in possibly that some day)
scooter2374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 09:42 AM   #14 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 39143
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABearden View Post
That's what I'd do under the circumstances as well. Worst case, they tell you not to come in tomorrow, problem solved. Best case, they say "OK, cool" and you work there a month longer than you intended, and have extra money. I'd just tell them the truth; things changed and the extra money is no longer worth working 16 hour days. Never know, if they like you enough they might offer you a daytime position.

edit: I haven't quit many "real" jobs. But the ones I have, I was gone as soon as the next schedule was out, even though I gave them notice.

Last edited by locotaco85; 07-29-2012 at 09:44 AM.
locotaco85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 10:07 AM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 7354
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlemeck View Post
How big of a number would that account need to be for you? It's quite a big number for me for us to keep our current standard of living, hence me working forever.
Old 07-29-2012, 10:29 AM   #16 (permalink)
Hate keeps me warm

Member # 151139
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlemeck View Post
The more you make, the more it takes to live.

When I made 24 k a year I was just making it. Now I make significantly more, and I am still just making it, but instead of a 1200 sq foot house, I live in a 2200 sq ft house, and instead of a second hand Pontiac Grand Am my wife drives a new Toyota, and then the money it takes to raise a kid

Let's look a this further.
If he started making 100k a year at 24, after taxes that's 66k. Take out health insurance (300 a month / 3600 a year) so now we have 62,400 TIMES 6 years. You could bank 374,400.00

Now deduct living expenses, rent, gas, car, car insurance, food, cloths, etc. you would have less 250K maybe

and for that you sacrificed 6 years of your life.

But during this time, you are working your ass off, so you feel you deserve and can afford some ....extravagant items........new welder, nicer car, nice TV, hell you can afford it and you deserve it. Now you have substantially less.

Retiring at 30 ain't gunna happen.
And there ain't no good chain gang

Last edited by Grumpy356; 07-29-2012 at 10:30 AM.
Grumpy356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 10:41 AM   #17 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 39143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy356 View Post
The more you make, the more it takes to live.

When I made 24 k a year I was just making it. Now I make significantly more, and I am still just making it, but instead of a 1200 sq foot house, I live in a 2200 sq ft house, and instead of a second hand Pontiac Grand Am my wife drives a new Toyota, and then the money it takes to raise a kid
While I agree no one's retiring at 30 working a pair of blue-collar jobs, and I know where you're coming from saying the more you make, the more you spend, the house and car are your own damn fault.

I moved from a $450/mo shitty rowhouse to a $750/mo decent detached with a garage. The more efficient HVAC at the new place saved me about $100 a month on the electric bill, and the lack of my house/vehicles getting broken into and my shit getting stolen made up for the rest of the cost increase. If you truly bought a NEW car, that's just damn dumb. My worst car payment was $360 on a 5-year note, and that was my WRX which was one hell of a splurge purchase for myself, plus I put nothing down. My current car I'm paying $300 a month... for a year. I should have it paid off in the next 4 months.

Making more money doesn't usually mean you have to spend more... it's just hard to resist the temptation.

However, it'd require a lot of convincing reasons for me to want to work 80 hours a week for very long. I like money, but I'm not sure I like it that much.
locotaco85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 10:49 AM   #18 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 25686
When an employee comes to me with notice I look at a few things...

Are they leaving happy only to better them self with opportunity I can't offer? I can't see me standing in the way of a man bettering himself and I will either honor their notice or cut them loose and pay them for their notice up to 2 weeks.

Are they leaving and going to work for a direct competitor? That employee is not leaving my office and walking into my operation for 1 more second. I have a business to protect.

I look at every situation and try to come up with a fair solution where everyone is content and shake hands with the man. Burning bridges is a 2 way street, too many employers don't realize they may need that guy back someday worse than he needs to come back.
Thank you to all our 2012 partners. Barco Pump, Wide Open Design, Jimmy's 4x4, Jim's Garage, PSC, Advance Adapters, PCI, Branik Motorsports, Spidertrax, NC Serve, TKES, RickyB Photography, Downsouth Motorsports and BFGoodrich.
crawlin85cj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 10:53 AM   #19 (permalink)
Ocean bound

Member # 9925
I here what guys are saying about getting hours cut, let go, etc.

I've never given less than 2 Weeks and have given as much as 6 months. If you have been a reliable, valued employee, and they're not already cutting hours & eliminating OT (fighting payroll imbalance), and they feel assured they don't have any theft concerns (Over 70% of theft is internal, and over 50% of that is within a week of departure), then give as much notice as you can.

Otherwise, stick with 2 Weeks when you are no longer dependent upon that 2 Weeks pay.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Check out our blog. We've bought a trimaran and are headed toward the Panama Canal and beyond this fall. www.losemynumberblog.com

Last edited by loveshackle; 07-29-2012 at 10:54 AM.
loveshackle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 11:37 AM   #20 (permalink)
BFH

Member # 97978
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanP View Post
How big of a number would that account need to be for you? It's quite a big number for me for us to keep our current standard of living, hence me working forever.
For a 60 year old retiree, I say to budget 70% of your current monthly expenses to be used in post-retirement.

People, however, usually fail to do this. Without work, the urge to "go do something" is much stronger, and leads to $$$$ spending.

Figure several million, easily. To retire at 60 even takes over a million usually
Old 07-29-2012, 12:14 PM   #21 (permalink)
DWT

Member # 19850
Quote:
Originally Posted by trkklr77 View Post
being nice and honest to an employer very rarely benifits you in the end.

That's no shit. Last job I was there 5 years which was longer than ANY employee that had ever worked at that place. I was asked to come back to an old employer so I gave my boss notice that I was going to be leaving. I figured a month, it was 6 weeks. In that time there suddenly was no work to be done even though we were building 4 new circle irrigation systems in 2 new fields and it was the beginning of hay harvest. Shortly after giving notice I was asked every week or so when I was going to be moving out of the house I rented from that boss too by his secretary. 5 years I busted my ass for that place and didn't tear equipment up, I was extremely well liked by all of our accounts and I did by best to drum up more work when I could and I was tossed out like yesterdays trash.

I wouldn't give notice till you no longer NEED the second gig. Even though they are good to you now that doesn't mean dick...

Taiwanese Garbage should stay in Taiwan.
DWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 02:36 PM   #22 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 85972
i've given a months notice to a handful of employers and never got dismissed before my last scheduled work day.

Authorized Ruffstuff dealer- pm me for pirate discount and free shipping on orders over $100.

ADS Racing Shocks- I can save you money on those too!

Website http://hellfire-fabworks.com/
billybob13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 02:54 PM   #23 (permalink)
chug life

Member # 180649
Quote:
Originally Posted by trkklr77 View Post
if they shit can you before your given date then you gave to much notice.

being nice and honest to an employer very rarely benifits you in the end.
That is no bullshit.

I worked for a company making brackets for GE and Pratt and Whitney. Was never late, only time I ever took off was for doctor visits. I could do everything in the shop except weld (wasn't certified) and works on all the projects that nobody else wanted to do all with a smile on my face and making less than everyone in the shop (who could only do maybe one job).

I gave a week notice to go to work for a company that paid way better and I went from the golden child to the red headed step child. My plant manager became a grade a asshole in one day.

So what did I do? lined up a bunch of difficult jobs that I was gonna get done "for the company" and left them half done two days later when I walked out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMMYBAJA View Post
Just type that shit n send it, no point fartin with it unless it's to fucked up it's not a lathe !

Last edited by clastic; 07-29-2012 at 03:38 PM.
clastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 03:13 PM   #24 (permalink)
Flyer

Member # 204368
I would say use your best judgement. I was at a job 7 years and decided to move away. I gave my employer 2 weeks notice which they were happy to get. I ended up moving back to town 2 years later and they hired me back on the spot. I was happy I gave them the notice.
heloflyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 03:14 PM   #25 (permalink)

Member # 140621
I just gave my boss notice... for four years from now.
I have worked for the same boss for over thirty years.
He says he will close up when I retire.
jbxx is offline   Reply With Quote