PETA: Marine Corps Terminology, ‘Leatherneck’ Term Promotes Animal Abuse - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > General Chit-Chat
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2012, 02:22 PM   #1 (permalink)
Naughty Nurse

Member # 19565
Send a message via AIM to APRILRAZZ
PETA: Marine Corps Terminology, ‘Leatherneck’ Term Promotes Animal Abuse

Link

by Nick Shafer on July 21, 2012 ·

General Mattis had choice words for PETA activistsCamp Pendleton, CA - A peaceful protest outside the main gate of Camp Pendleton has erupted into violence today as Marines and activists continue to spar over military terminology.

The protestors, from People For The Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) have been holding a protest near the base for over a week against the use of the terms “Leatherneck” and “Wooly-Pully.”

PETA spokesman have deemed the terms offensive and say they “promote animal abuse.”

“These words that the Marines use are absolutely horrible,” said Jean Richards, a PETA activist. “We will not stand by and let these people continue to promote the killing of animals.”

Although no one understands how or why, the mild and peaceful protests soon escalated into chaos.

PFC Anthony Smith, a Marine Private currently attending the School of Infantry, reported that he was attacked while attempting to leave base. His t-shirt, which had “Leatherneck” written across the front, became a walking bullseye.

Luckily he was able to avoid the red paint they attempted to cover his neck with, saying that he employed “a little move, block, strike, and a little improvise, adapt, and overcome. Oh three hundred, Ooh-rah!”

But it wasn’t just the Marines being attacked.

PETA militants also have said that Marines were throwing hard boiled eggs and hot dog water at them. Some even claim to have been beaten with long pieces of meat byproduct.

PETA protesters turned to what they called their only defense. Using out-of-tune acoustic guitars, the crowd sang songs of animal triumph over human oppression.

Both civilian and military police worked together to break up the melee because no one could stand the horrible PETA music any longer.

Peace talks have started, with top Marine brass explaining that leather hasn’t been used around the neck of a Marines uniform since long before PETA existed. Former CENTCOM Commander General James Mattis also joined in the discussion, saying that the protestors “should just go fuck themselves.”

The term “Leatherneck” will continue in service due to an old grandfather clause that was produced faster than a a set of dummy orders. “Woolly-pully,” the term for a Marines’ dress sweater, is still under review. A few of the more popular choices of terms for the sweater include: “hot-n-cotton”, “stitchy-itchy”, and “polyester-molester.”

While the debate over the terms continues to rage, other groups have been inspired by the protestors. A group called “Irish Respect Association” has called for the Marine Corps to stop using the term “Irish pennants.”

They have sent in numerous photographs of their clothing, clearly showing no loose threads hanging as the term suggests.
"Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results."-Albert Einstein
APRILRAZZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 02:26 PM   #2 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 22176
Wtf? Talk about needing a hobby.

And seriously hot dog water? Shoot them next time.

Beat95YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 02:29 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 85771
That article made me laugh
Old 08-13-2012, 02:32 PM   #4 (permalink)
Naughty Nurse

Member # 19565
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beat95YJ View Post
Wtf? Talk about needing a hobby.

And seriously hot dog water? Shoot them next time.
I think you need to click on the link.
"Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results."-Albert Einstein
Old 08-13-2012, 02:37 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 4663
Quote:
Former CENTCOM Commander General James Mattis also joined in the discussion, saying that the protestors “should just go fuck themselves.”
This was funny but I find it hard to believe coming from a General.
Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 02:42 PM   #6 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 22176
Quote:
Originally Posted by APRILRAZZ View Post
Ok, I get it. Well played.

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1344894111.739392.jpg
Views: 792
Size:  23.4 KB

Beat95YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 02:42 PM   #7 (permalink)
Naughty Nurse

Member # 19565
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson View Post
This was funny but I find it hard to believe coming from a General.
He is a Marine Corps General.
I think some of you are missing the fact that this is the onion for the military
Old 08-13-2012, 02:45 PM   #8 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 208306
Doubt I would have taken the time to boil the eggs .
Valley Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 02:49 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 4663
Quote:
Originally Posted by APRILRAZZ View Post
Oops, got me.
Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 02:52 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 128802
if I were the General, I would comply with PETA protesters' demand and politely invite them for a little tea on base, then send every one of them mudafaka's to Afghanistan.
3rdgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 02:54 PM   #11 (permalink)
Naughty Nurse

Member # 19565
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beat95YJ View Post
Ok, I get it. Well played.

Attachment 689960
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson View Post
Oops, got me.
Check out the porta-potty story. Had a hard time breathing I was laughing so hard.
Old 08-13-2012, 02:56 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 86685
You had me
s10er8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 03:12 PM   #13 (permalink)
Naughty Nurse

Member # 19565
The comments are pretty funny (and kind of sad).
Old 08-13-2012, 03:18 PM   #14 (permalink)
Naughty Nurse

Member # 19565
African-American Skipper Makes History, Takes Command of USS Nathan Bedford Forrest

Naval Base Kitsap, Washington – Captain Jay Henson made history today, becoming the first African-American officer to take command of the James Madison-class ballistic missile submarine USS Nathan Bedford Forrest (SSBN-744).

The submarine is named after legendary Confederate cavalryman Nathan Bedford Forrest, widely regarded as one of the most brilliant soldiers in American history, but also controversial because of his involvement in the slave trade and his postwar role as the founder of the Ku Klux Klan.

The change of command ceremony was held at Naval Base Kitsap in Washington State, home port of the Forrest. Captain Henson read from remarks prepared by the ship’s Public Affairs Officer (PAO).

“Well I’ve been commanding a desk at the Pentagon for the past few years, so it’s great to be in command again, even if it is the old Nate, or as her crew likes to call her, the … um … the Grand Old Wizard of the Sea.”

“I look forward to working with you all, especially since we’ve got a tough deployment ahead of us.”

“Like her namesake, the crew of the Forrest has a take-no-prisoners attitude and they don’t see the world in black and white. With excitement burning, we cross from the normal routine of garrison to a tough few months as we patrol the Persian Gulf to protect our nation’s … precious … black … cargo.”

At this Captain Henson paused to wipe the sweat off his brow. Glaring at his PAO and clenching his remarks, he continued.

“Submarines are critical to winning the wars of today and tomorrow, allowing us to ‘git there the firstest with the mostest’, as General Forrest liked to say.”

“And, like General Forrest also liked to say, ‘Don’t throw a rope over a tree until … you … can … hang … a — ALL RIGHT, THAT FUCKING DOES IT! EVERYBODY ON THE BOAT!”

At this point Captain Henson decided to cut short his remarks after commenting that the PAO might “enjoy spending the voyage lashed to the periscope

http://www.duffelblog.com/2012/07/af...dford-forrest/
Old 08-13-2012, 03:55 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 47901
I've always wanted to launch meatballs at the headquarters in Norfolk. Funny that they don't protest like that around here.
my-xj-addiction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 03:55 PM   #16 (permalink)
Stay the Trail

Member # 3937
So is duffelblog like the Onion for the military?

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not..." - Thomas Jefferson.

Battlement Fab
mrboyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 03:59 PM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 44136
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrboyle View Post
Look for the black text noob. :toymotoflipoff2:
Snowbird13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 04:54 PM   #18 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 39143
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrboyle View Post
Is it bad that PETA is such a walking joke that people have to do a double take and ask things like this?

The Forrest one had me rolling. Fucking great.
locotaco85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 05:31 PM   #19 (permalink)
Hillbilly Houndsman

Member # 13420
Haven't heard anything from PETA in a while.
So they stage this protest, piss off a bunch of people as usual, and traffic to their website increases. They are no more than a westboro church on training wheels.

www.MountaineerOffroad.com
SilverZuk is online now   Reply With Quote