Amanda Todd RIP - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > General Chit-Chat
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2012, 10:21 AM   #1 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 3370
Unhappy Amanda Todd RIP

Very sad a video she posted not even a month ago.

My story: Struggling, bullying, suicide, self harm - YouTube

Port Coquitlam teen driven to death by cyberbullying (with video)

Quote:
The mother of a teenager who died Wednesday of suspected suicide wants her daughter’s anti-cyber-bullying video to be used to help other young people.

Fifteen-year-old Amanda Todd was found dead in a Port Coquitlam home at 6 p.m. Wednesday, five weeks after she posted a heartbreaking video on YouTube detailing how she was harassed online and bullied.

“I think the video should be shared and used as an anti-bullying tool. That is what my daughter would have wanted,” Carol Todd, Amanda’s mother, told The Vancouver Sun in a message on Twitter.

Click here for ways to get help if you or someone you know is experiencing suicidal thoughts

By Friday morning, The Amanda Michelle Todd memorial Facebook page, created shortly after her death, had more than 2,500 "likes." An outpouring of support for the girl's friends and family were posted:

"She is a beautiful young lady. I am in tears over this," wrote Jennifer Fincher, while many other Facebook users said they hoped she was with angels in heaven.

But not all the chatter was positive. Mike Mace, whose own Facebook page says he is a member of the Canadian Military, faced a flurry of shaming comments after he posted a negative comment mocking her death.

In the comment, he suggests that it's not the bully's fault that she showed her breasts and gave out her private information on the Internet.

"You should be ashamed of yourself," wrote Amber Garofano, while another woman Ashley Soucy posted, "have a heart."

The tragedy has sparked much discussion online about cyber-bullying and what can be done to eradicate the problem.

The Vancouver Sun is joining in on that discussion. The Sun is hosting a day of dialogue on bullying at 1 p.m. and 4 p.m. on Facebook. Visit The Vancouver Sun - Vancouver, BC - Newspaper | Facebook to join the talk.

Click here for more photos of Amanda Todd

In September, Amanda posted a video to YouTube entitled My Story: Struggling, bullying, suicide and self harm.

In it Amanda does not speak, but instead holds up to the camera pieces of paper on which she has printed her story, one phrase at a time. She documents a painful tale of being harassed through Facebook and shunned at school, leaving her feeling alone and suicidal.

It started in Grade 8, when an embarrassing photo was circulated to her relatives, friends and schoolmates. Amanda switched schools, but the bullying continued.

“I can never get that photo back,” she writes.

Later, she was confronted by a group of teens in front of her new school and beaten up, an attack that was filmed. Despondent, Amanda went home and drank bleach.

Her harassers posted photos of bleach and commented that they wished she was dead.

Near the end of the video, she writes: “Every day I think why am I still here? ... I have nobody. I need someone.”

In a message accompanying the video post, Amanda added: “I’m not doing this (video) for attention. I’m doing this to be an inspiration and to show that I can be strong.”

Premier Christy Clark posted a short video on YouTube Thursday sending her sympathies to Amanda’s family.

“I want to say to everyone who loved her, to all her family and friends, how sorry I am about her loss,” Clark — who spearheaded a ‘Pink Shirt Day’ anti-bullying campaign while she was a radio host — says in the video.

“No one deserves to be bullied. No one earns it. No one asks for it. It isn’t a rite of passage.

“Bullying has to stop.”

Click here for ways to get help if you or someone you know is experiencing suicidal thoughts

In 2008, the B.C. government declared an annual anti-bullying day, and Clark has advanced anti-bullying initiatives since becoming premier.

Amanda was a former cheerleader with the Vancouver All Stars squad based in her hometown of Port Coquitlam. She attended school there until the middle of Grade 8, when she moved to a Maple Ridge school. In February, she transferred to Coquitlam Alternate Basic Education (CABE) in Coquitlam.

Students and staff at Amanda’s school were grieving her death Thursday.

“It is a very sad case,” said Paul McNaughton, principal of CABE, where Amanda was in Grade 10.

“She was quite connected here. The staff and the students here are very much impacted. She had some very strong ties in the school and to staff in the school.

“I can tell you we feel we tried everything we could to help her when she came to us.”

In her video, Amanda says she moved schools in a futile attempt to escape her bullies.

Spokeswomen for the Maple Ridge and Coquitlam school districts would not discuss the case directly, but both said their districts take action when they receive bullying complaints.

Grief counsellors were speaking to students in both districts Thursday.

Dr. Tyler Black, a child and adolescent psychiatrist at B.C. Children’s Hospital, said the reasons people commit suicide are often very complex. He urged parents, educators and youth at risk of suicide to realize there is help through options such as YouthinBC - Be Heard Get Help - Crisis Line, Live Chat and Resources or 1-800-SUICIDE.

“The message is there are professionals there, there are people out there who can help.”

On a positive note, Black added, suicide among youth aged 10 to 24 dropped 25 per cent from 2000 to 2009.

Amanda joined YouTube on Sept. 6 and posted her video Sept. 7.

On Sept. 7, Amanda also uploaded a slide-show presentation called Cyber Bullying on Prezi.com, in which she gives advice on how to deal with such harassment.

In what could turn out to be her own very sad legacy, Amanda urged people to stand up to bullies and help victims:

“If you see that someone is being bullied, don’t be afraid to tell the bully to stop doing what they are doing. Make sure to tell them that it’s wrong and that they shouldn’t bully other kids.”

Amanda told parents “to always give your child emotional support” and to help them if they are being bullied.

B.C.’s education ministry announced last month that it will spend $2 million on a strategy called ERASE Bullying. The strategy includes a confidential online bullying reporting service that will allow students, school staff, parents and members of the public to make anonymous reports about potential or actual cases of school bullying and violence.

“My thoughts and prayers go to her family, I cannot even begin to imagine what they are going through. High school is supposed to be the best time of your life, not one where you fear for yourself every day. No one should have to feel the way she did,” wrote Breanna Lockhart Collins. “She was a beautiful young girl who went way too soon.”

In a post on its Facebook page, G Force Gym — home of the Vancouver All Stars cheerleaders — wrote:

“Today we feel the loss of our former VAS family member Amanda ... I ask that we all watch her video and share her story so that her loss is not in vain. Allow this to be her legacy ... Allow us all to look around & find the next Amanda before another precious spunky teenager is lost.”

Amanda’s video echoed another similar online story entitled My Story: Suicide and Bullying, which had been uploaded by Mollydoyle18 on YouTube. Commenting on Amanda’s video, Molly posted Wednesday:

“Rest in peace and fly high to Amanda Todd. I was just messaging her about almost a week ago, and I just found out that she has taken her life. She was asking me about how to be an inspiration to others and to get her video more views, and now I have found out that she has passed away ... This is a terrible tragedy. I wish she could have had her happy ending.

Read more: Port Coquitlam teen driven to death by cyberbullying (with video)
Old 10-12-2012, 10:25 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 85771
so she showed her tits then got the fawk out?
Old 10-12-2012, 10:30 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 7412
Just stupid
Old 10-12-2012, 10:31 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 9275
Send a message via Yahoo to purevil71
Did they ever figure out who it was that was bullying her?

ZookiMelt FB Page:
[url]http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100003375889081[/url]
purevil71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 10:33 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 134892
Quote:
Originally Posted by ky scrambled View Post
and drank bleach
Old 10-12-2012, 10:33 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 91857
Send a message via AIM to yozsi
Quote:
your signature is my reply to this thread.

Foreign Car Center
Vallejo, CA
yozsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 10:34 AM   #7 (permalink)
Pigs Fly

Member # 31621
Send a message via AIM to vetteboy79
Quote:
Ironically, after drinking bleach as well...

edit:

Flying Pig Racing #512

Last edited by vetteboy79; 10-12-2012 at 10:34 AM.
vetteboy79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 10:36 AM   #8 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 135367
Quote:
And drank bleach apparently.

What the hell is wrong with parents that they don't support their kid and let them know it doesn't matter what other people think and to grow thicker skin.

Edit: late on the bleach

_(o))-o-))(o))--o))

Last edited by kc8ksg; 10-12-2012 at 10:36 AM.
kc8ksg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 10:37 AM   #9 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 5176
My wife and I argued about this story, this morning.

My wife's question, was "Where were her parents in all of this?"

I replied, "Probably, at work like most of us?" ~ not the empathetic answer she was looking for I guess.

Drinking bleach in Grade 8 should have been a wake-up call that the girl was unable to protect herself. Sadly, it doesn't sound like anything changed since then.

STOLEN!!! -->'80 CJ-7 w/ 258 I-6,T-176,D300, '94 YJ tub, '83 toy axles front & rear, Smirffield front axles, w/3.90's, 'YJ rears up front, and a bunch of home-grown patches, all sitting on BFG 35" MTs.

Post #411
Blame Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 10:39 AM   #10 (permalink)
Fistful of Boomstick

Member # 13344
Send a message via AIM to usmcdoc14 Send a message via Yahoo to usmcdoc14
wow. I never thought you could actually clean the gene pool with bleach, learn something new every day.

and before someone quotes me and others in this thread and calls us assholes: Yes, I am an asshole

You cant ban knowledge, learn to make your own guns right Here.
New York, Colorado, Maryland, Conneticut….is your state next? Yes it is. Write, Vote and Fight.
usmcdoc14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 10:40 AM   #11 (permalink)
DRM
Super Moderator

Member # 8
wow.. she actually drank bleach
>"A little nonsense now and then is cherished by the wisest men."
DRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 10:40 AM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 85483
Sorry…but I just don’t get this whole cyber bulling shit. I guess some people just can’t walk away from the computer.

There have always been bullies and there will always be bullies. The world will never be rainbows and unicorns. Where the problem has come about is how people have been taught in how to deal with them. When I grew up, I was taught to fight back, not coward away. If you want someone to stop doing something you have to give them a reason that hurts if they don’t.

But today all we hear is, don’t hit back, tell someone (what fucking good does it do to tell someone if all they are going to do is tell them to stop?) We need to get back to people learning and willing to defend themselves and NOT punish those that do.

Last edited by thumping; 10-12-2012 at 10:42 AM.
thumping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 10:41 AM   #13 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 98578
So how old was she when she showed her tits? If she was 18, where's the video?

edit, watched the video. 7th grade :chris hansen:

Anyway, another vote for kyscrambled's sig.

Last edited by TJGreg5; 10-12-2012 at 10:45 AM.
TJGreg5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 10:41 AM   #14 (permalink)
For Kayla

Member # 12343
Send a message via AIM to JParuBob Send a message via MSN to JParuBob Send a message via Yahoo to JParuBob Send a message via Skype™ to JParuBob
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJGreg5 View Post
She wasn't.

Sent via Morse code

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley21 View Post
Butt secks isn't for everyone........but it is for me!
JParuBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 10:42 AM   #15 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 109328
TOGTFO

Wait, too late she's out :-(

All Jokes aside this sucks

Last edited by Ho Shorts; 10-12-2012 at 10:43 AM.
Ho Shorts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 10:43 AM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 51775
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJGreg5 View Post
She never saw her 16th birthday.
wireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 10:44 AM   #17 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 22104
Only think she left out was a fork to the neck!

Sounds like she was a cheerleader and popular. Not the classic bully target until the titties popped out.
Old 10-12-2012, 10:46 AM   #18 (permalink)
IDIot!

Member # 44480
Quote:
Originally Posted by purevil71 View Post
Did they ever figure out who it was that was bullying her?
Fawk bullying, she was outright stalked!
MT4Runner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 10:47 AM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 40793
Send a message via AIM to Nightshade Send a message via MSN to Nightshade Send a message via Yahoo to Nightshade
I wouldn't think it would be difficult to track down the cyber bullies and make their lives a living hell in return, the internet is not as anonymous as one would think.

One part of me wants to say that Darwin did his job, but in reality I think this is just plain fucked up and those doing the bullying should get the same treatment.

Last edited by Nightshade; 10-12-2012 at 10:47 AM.
Nightshade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 10:47 AM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 85771
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaryW View Post
Sounds like she was a cheerleader and popular. Not the classic bully target until the titties popped out.

christ
Old 10-12-2012, 10:48 AM   #21 (permalink)
Gay Guns for Gays

Member # 118035
whooooole lotta WTF in that article.

lemme get this timeline straight:
-shewed bewbers
-pic passed around
-got beat up/teased
-drank bleach
-made an anti bully video on youtube
-killed herself
-mom finally steps in and wants her daughters video to help other people?
IEATRKS84 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 10:49 AM   #22 (permalink)

Member # 8220
Old 10-12-2012, 10:50 AM   #23 (permalink)

Member # 40793
Send a message via AIM to Nightshade Send a message via MSN to Nightshade Send a message via Yahoo to Nightshade
Quote:
Originally Posted by IEATRKS84 View Post
whooooole lotta WTF in that article.

lemme get this timeline straight:
-shewed bewbers
-pic passed around
-got beat up/teased
-drank bleach
-made an anti bully video on youtube
-killed herself
-mom finally steps in and wants her daughters video to help other people?
Yeah I agree the mother definitley did not do much to help things from the looks of it.
Old 10-12-2012, 10:50 AM   #24 (permalink)
ORS

Member # 77386
Quote:
Originally Posted by thumping View Post
Sorry…but I just don’t get this whole cyber bulling shit. I guess some people just can’t walk away from the computer.

There have always been bullies and there will always be bullies. The world will never be rainbows and unicorns. Where the problem has come about is how people have been taught in how to deal with them. When I grew up, I was taught to fight back, not coward away. If you want someone to stop doing something you have to give them a reason that hurts if they don’t.

But today all we hear is, don’t hit back, tell someone (what fucking good does it do to tell someone if all they are going to do is tell them to stop?) We need to get back to people learning and willing to defend themselves and NOT punish those that do.
Sounds like she was getting shit at school too. But yeah, not understanding the online part.
Action Fab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 10:51 AM   #25 (permalink)
IDIot!

Member # 44480
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightshade View Post
I wouldn't think it would be difficult to track down the cyber bullies and make their lives a living hell in return, the internet is not as anonymous as one would think.

I think this is just plain fucked up and those doing the bullying should get the same treatment.
Interesting...

Get /b/ on it!
MT4Runner is online now   Reply With Quote