Obamacare forbids laws restricting guns......... - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > General Chit-Chat
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2013, 12:32 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 57161
Obamacare forbids laws restricting guns.........

Oops. Provision in Obamacare Forbid Dems from Restricting Guns

Quote:
Yes. There really was a provision in Obamacare that forbid Democrats from restricting guns. Why? How?

Well, Harry Reid was so worried that the NRA would put their weight against the Obamacare bill that he snuck this piece of legislation in for them.

(c) PROTECTION OF SECOND AMENDMENT GUN RIGHTS.—

‘‘(1) WELLNESS AND PREVENTION PROGRAMS.— A wellness and health promotion activity implemented under subsection (a)(1)(D) may not require the disclosure or collection of any information relating to—

‘‘(A) the presence or storage of a lawfully- possessed firearm or ammunition in the residence or on the property of an individual; or

‘‘(B) the lawful use, possession, or storage of a firearm or ammunition by an individual.
‘‘

(2) LIMITATION ON DATA COLLECTION.—None of the authorities provided to the Secretary under the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act or an amendment made by that Act shall be construed to authorize or may be used for the collection of any in- formation relating to—

‘‘(A) the lawful ownership or possession of a firearm or ammunition;

‘‘(B) the lawful use of a firearm or ammunition; or

‘‘(C) the lawful storage of a firearm or ammunition.

‘‘(3) LIMITATION ON DATABASES OR DATA BANKS.—None of the authorities provided to the Secretary under the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act or an amendment made by that Act shall be construed to authorize or may be used to maintain records of individual ownership or possession of a firearm or ammunition.

Forbes reported:

As for Reid’s reasons for burying a pro-gun measure into the body of the Affordable Care Act, the Majority Leader is said to have been concerned that the NRA planned to take an active position against the passage of Obamacare and decided, no doubt with the permission of Reid’s friend, NRA boss Wayne LaPierre, to head the problem off at the pass by putting language in the bill that would mollify the gun lobby.

Read more at Oops. Provision in Obamacare Forbid Dems from Restricting Guns
" Prudence, indeed, will dictate that Governments long established should not be changed for light and transient causes....But when a long train of abuses and usurpations.... it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security."
cannoncrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 12:36 PM   #2 (permalink)
Window Licker

Member # 34948
Really?
bgaidan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 12:38 PM   #3 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 39143
OK, call me crazy, but it looks like that only says they can't use the Patient Sodomy and Unaffordable Insurance Act to violate the 2nd Amendment, and nothing more.
locotaco85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 12:46 PM   #4 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 377762
I take it that you believe this would really prevent them from doing whatever they really want to do anyways? I hate to say that I have almost thrown in the towel when it comes to even trying to follow politics, but it seems like whatever politicians really want to do, they will do it anyways, even if the Constitution opposes it.
Stout Fabrication is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 12:48 PM   #5 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 67681
Quote:
may not require the disclosure or collection of any information relating to
They won't use it to collect information. Mandatory registration will do that. Then that information will be provided to the Health Network. That wasn't very difficult to think of a way for them to get around that legislation.
Old 01-19-2013, 12:56 PM   #6 (permalink)
What did you expect?

Member # 119290
(c) PROTECTION OF SECOND AMENDMENT GUN RIGHTS.—

‘‘(1) WELLNESS AND PREVENTION PROGRAMS.— A wellness and health promotion activity implemented under subsection (a)(1)(D) may not require the disclosure or collection of any information relating to—‘‘(A) the presence or storage of a lawfully- possessed firearm or ammunition in the residence or on the property of an individual; or

‘‘(B) the lawful use, possession, or storage of a firearm or ammunition by an individual.
‘‘

(2) LIMITATION ON DATA COLLECTION.—None of the authorities provided to the Secretary under the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act or an amendment made by that Act shall be construed to authorize or may be used for the collection of any in- formation relating to—

‘‘(A) the lawful ownership or possession of a firearm or ammunition;

‘‘(B) the lawful use of a firearm or ammunition; or

‘‘(C) the lawful storage of a firearm or ammunition.

‘‘(3) LIMITATION ON DATABASES OR DATA BANKS.—None of the authorities provided to the Secretary under the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act or an amendment made by that Act shall be construed to authorize or may be used to maintain records of individual ownership or possession of a firearm or ammunition.

Forbes reported:

As for Reid’s reasons for burying a pro-gun measure into the body of the Affordable Care Act, the Majority Leader is said to have been concerned that the NRA planned to take an active position against the passage of Obamacare and decided, no doubt with the permission of Reid’s friend, NRA boss Wayne LaPierre, to head the problem off at the pass by putting language in the bill that would mollify the gun lobby.

It's a damn big jump from saying that "medical programs may not be used to forward information regarding lawful weapons" to 'Democrats cannot implement gun laws"

You should be in the Olympics.
Dana 60 or 14 bolt disk brake kits $315 shipped http://www.lugnut4x4.com/

Last edited by HAPPYJOHN; 01-19-2013 at 12:56 PM.
HAPPYJOHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 01:15 PM   #7 (permalink)
Pura Vida

Member # 42720
A minor inconvenience to him at best.

THE MEEK SHALL INHERIT NOTHING

www.normalguysnetwork.com
ChaseYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 02:16 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 3475
no, but to me what it says is that "obama care would prevent adam lanzas mom from having to report her weapons and sons condition
Old 01-19-2013, 02:44 PM   #9 (permalink)
not my fence problem

Member # 43837
You think a little provision in a bill will stop someone who wants to walk on the 2nd??

Same line of thought as " a gun free zone will help stop shootings."

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
bigbroncojeff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 03:45 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 3475
no, im saying the anti gun folks are siding with a guy that screwed them, and that needs to be wellknown.
Old 01-19-2013, 04:20 PM   #11 (permalink)
pudpounder

Member # 89997
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoabFab View Post
I take it that you believe this would really prevent them from doing whatever they really want to do anyways? I hate to say that I have almost thrown in the towel when it comes to even trying to follow politics, but it seems like whatever politicians really want to do, they will do it anyways, even if the Constitution opposes it.
STAY THE COURSE, don't give in or give up, that only aids their cause, it is going to take real effort, not just agreeing with some one on the internet, have you written any letters or made any phone calls yet?
Old 01-19-2013, 06:41 PM   #12 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 377762
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeinnm View Post
STAY THE COURSE, don't give in or give up, that only aids their cause, it is going to take real effort, not just agreeing with some one on the internet, have you written any letters or made any phone calls yet?
Alright alright, I could never really give up although every time I have to hear Bracks voice (let alone that whore of a woman with him) I cringe. I have indeed signed and continue to forward every NRA and pro gun EMail and letter than I receive. It's like anything with the government, if you give them an inch, they take a mile. If Carson City wasn't Nevada's capital, I would have been at the capital building.
Stout Fabrication is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 06:46 PM   #13 (permalink)
Big Meanie

Member # 5859
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgaidan View Post
Really?
Yes. I'm sure it'll come up again.

- The lush life-giving land, our personal responsibility.

Ventura County Axle Snappers - Nevada County Chapter
Haole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 06:11 AM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 109226
number 2 on his EA list... obama knows ths and plans to cover this inconvenience.

Quote:
Chairman MAOBAMA

2. Address unnecessary legal barriers, particularly relating to the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act, that may prevent states from making information available to the background check system.
justin'sbig7 is offline   Reply With Quote