Those FaceBook images that ask you to "like" to "see what happens" - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > General Chit-Chat
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2013, 06:14 AM   #1 (permalink)
DRM
Super Moderator

Member # 8
Those FaceBook images that ask you to "like" to "see what happens"

Scam? What is the story on those thing? I never click them... I don't want that crap on my wall and always figured there was something up with it.
>"A little nonsense now and then is cherished by the wisest men."
DRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 06:17 AM   #2 (permalink)
Runs Amok

Member # 181276
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRM View Post
Scam? What is the story on those thing? I never click them... I don't want that crap on my wall and always figured there was something up with it.
It's just more stupid Facebook shit. Same as those "repost if you love Jesus" things.
s14sh3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 06:21 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 86724
sometimes they trick people into installing malware.

cause people are stupid.
Old 03-12-2013, 06:26 AM   #4 (permalink)
Hophead

Member # 4829
Send a message via AIM to Joe_W
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87manche View Post
sometimes they trick people into installing malware.

cause people are stupid.

that or they are getting paid for clicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddin
The vagina doubles as a neat little fanny pack.
Joe_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 06:28 AM   #5 (permalink)
DRM
Super Moderator

Member # 8
So nobody is going to admit to doing it to see what the picture "Does" once you like, share, and comment? Come on... one of you tools has done it - own up
>"A little nonsense now and then is cherished by the wisest men."
DRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 06:35 AM   #6 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 6417
Send a message via Yahoo to Dieselmh
Quote:
So nobody is going to admit to doing it to see what the picture "Does" once you like, share, and comment? Come on... one of you tools has done it - own up
They don't do shit. Well, the one my MIL clicked right before I told her "you know, that's a good way to get a virus" didn't do shit. Of course, I also routinely spend hours getting viruses and malware off of her computer, so what does she care, right?
Dieselmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 06:35 AM   #7 (permalink)
/b/

Member # 196031
Its not a scam. An article on its here:

Let me google that for you
Old 03-12-2013, 06:36 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 7762
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwampDonkeyBait View Post
Its not a scam. An article on its here:

Let me google that for you
That's why I spend so much time on Facebook.
Dan_E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 06:41 AM   #9 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 22104
I refuse to name a city in Bosnia that doesnt have an "L" in it either!

I have noticed fake Apple and Beats pages also.
Old 03-12-2013, 06:59 AM   #10 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 66259
Quote:
Originally Posted by s14sh3r View Post
repost if you love Jesus
Done.
Old 03-12-2013, 07:01 AM   #11 (permalink)
Resident Beekeeper

Member # 36707
Send a message via AIM to CJesse7 Send a message via Yahoo to CJesse7
All that shit on Facebook helps me figure out how dumb some of my friends are.

The one that really brings out the dumb fucks, are the Pictures of Bill Gates/ someone holding a lottery ticket/bag of cash, with the heading "share this picture and I'll share X amount of money with you/one lucky person".

My Reverse Flow BBQ Pit Build
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/gener...pic-heavy.html

Last edited by CJesse7; 03-12-2013 at 07:02 AM.
CJesse7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 07:04 AM   #12 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 6417
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJesse7 View Post

The one that really brings out the dumb fucks, are the Pictures of Bill Gates/ someone holding a lottery ticket/bag of cash, with the heading "share this picture and I'll share X amount of money with you/one lucky person".
I prefer the "if this pic gets 1,000,000 likes, this little kid gets a new heart." Like there's a doctor somewhere talking to a grieving family "I'm sorry folks, I really am. I wanted to do that life saving procedure, but your son didn't get enough likes on facebook."
Old 03-12-2013, 07:06 AM   #13 (permalink)
big bird

Member # 13701
Send a message via AIM to animator Send a message via Yahoo to animator
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJesse7 View Post

Anyone that I see posting that crap gets hidden immediately...
Old 03-12-2013, 07:36 AM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 52443
Quote:
It doesn't do anything. My dad is now on facebook and the first thing he did, literally, was clicking one of those shitty posts with a cat in it and then called me to ask what he did wrong because nothing happened.
Old 03-12-2013, 07:40 AM   #15 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 20298
Quote:

You're a genius.
Old 03-12-2013, 08:03 AM   #16 (permalink)
Hophead

Member # 4829
Send a message via AIM to Joe_W
Quote:
Originally Posted by ev13wt View Post
It doesn't do anything. My dad is now on facebook and the first thing he did, literally, was clicking one of those shitty posts with a cat in it and then called me to ask what he did wrong because nothing happened.
something happened, someone got a penny because some dummy clicked on it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddin
The vagina doubles as a neat little fanny pack.
Joe_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 08:06 AM   #17 (permalink)
Juice

Member # 130270
Godamned "Bet you can't name a state/band/etc without an E/A/I etc" bullshit too. Dumbfucker asshatery abound. My bet? Just a test to see how quick dumb shit spreads and where to. Marketing testing by FB. That, plus the pure retardedness of this generation equals a clogged up feed. The worst part? You've seen all this, and your "friends" like, comment and share that dumb shit. Mine too.
Old 03-12-2013, 08:08 AM   #18 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 10091
Send a message via Skype™ to ukjeeper
One of the few that (might be) worth it:

https://www.facebook.com/jeep/app_465393550194537

Quote:
Add the Operation SAFE Return badge to your Facebook profile and we'll donate $1 to the USO (up to $300,000):
But after awhile a began to realize that most here are just a bunch of Boobs who don't like Homos.
ukjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 08:34 AM   #19 (permalink)
waterboy

Member # 9086
we as PBB need to come up with one and see how long it takes to go viral like all the other crap thats posted.
Old 03-12-2013, 08:37 AM   #20 (permalink)
Juice

Member # 130270
I bet you could make one that says "Like if you are a fucking retard. Keep scrolling if you like satan". It'll go viral in a matter of days.
Old 03-12-2013, 09:13 AM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 3945
What the hell? Piggy is ignored by so many here now that Damage is picking up the stupid comments void in posts now?
Old 03-12-2013, 09:16 AM   #22 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 8540
Quote:
Scam? What is the story on those thing?
All About Those Facebook 'Like' Scam Posts | Daylan Does

Quote:
All about those Facebook ‘Like’ scam posts

You know what annoys me? People who stand still on escalators.

You know what REALLY annoys me?
Facebook posts like this!

Not a day goes by that I don’t login to see one of these posts. And they always seem to have a bazillion (no exaggeration) likes, comments or shares.

Nearly 5000 people figured this would work.

5000 people figured typing a word into the comment field would make ‘something’ happen.

Hint: Nothing happened.

These posts infuriate me.

And it’s not just the fact they are polluting my newsfeed with rubbish and distracting me from the stuff I wanna see, like my friends sharing their thoughts on TV shows, photos of food or jokes they’ve stolen from Reddit. It’s the unashamed use of terrible circumstances like cancer, or sick kids or horrific accidents that these pages usually use to get clicks that really pisses me off.

But why do these pages exist?
What are the benefits of posting a picture with a quote like ‘Like if you hate cancer, ignore if you don’t’?

To get to a proper answer to that question, you have to get a little nerdy. It’s all about the Facebook Like algorithm. The secret formula that makes activities such as sharing, commenting and liking a post such a valuable commodity.

The Facebook Like algorithm is Facebook’s way of dictating if content is of any value to users. The more likes/shares/comments it gets, the more exposure to certain people it, and the profile it belongs to, will get both short term and long term.

All these metrics contribute to a users ‘EdgeRank’ – the score your profile is given that dictates how your page interacts with other profiles on Facebook. The greater a page/profiles edge rank is, the more it will be exposed in people’s newsfeed. EdgeRank is the reason you see a lot of rubbish in your feed these days. Certain people and pages have edge rank factors that Facebook have decided are relevant to you.

So back to the original issue: Why do these pages exist?

A: Because there is money to be made from it.

Businesses worldwide are trying to figure out how to best utilise platforms like Facebook, Twitter and Google Plus (haha, na I’m just kidding about Google Plus). They know that EdgeRank, likes, brand exposure and followers are important, even if they don’t know exactly why or what to do with it. But the problem is, building up these audiences and edge rank is a time consuming and often difficult task. And because of the time and effort required, this occurs :

The ‘my sister Mallory’ scam
This post stated that someones ‘sister’ Mallory has down syndrome & doesn’t think she’s beautiful. It then asked for ‘likes’ it to show her she is.
The REAL story about this little girl is something much different: Read about it here

Structure of a Facebook scam
1.A page is created.

2.This page put out a constant stream of heart wrenching and/or mildly amusing images that are shared publicly with a call to action to click, share or comment.
3.These posts are initially shared by a big group of people all in the same network who have all built up their edge rank over a period of time that then results in the posts eventually leaking into the newsfeeds of real-life accounts.
4.These people share, like or comment which then spreads.
5.Eventually a friend of yours hits that little thumbs up button
6.It’s in your newsfeed.

And within 3 days a post like this one has 70,000 likes, and someone somewhere is about to make a nice little profit by selling the page to a business wanting some quick wins.

The buyer then changes some of the page details. BAM! Instant fanpage with a big following, lots of likes and an in depth edge rank, capable of pushing out content to a pre-built list of thousands of Facebook users. (edit: Page name cannot be altered after 200 likes, just details of the page).

So, that’s it. I’m sure you knew it already, but these things are dodgy. Where there is profit to be made, there will be people who will figure out a way to game the system. This is one of the games. Best way to stop this stuff from occurring is to not promote this rubbish.

Pro tip: If you do see a post about sick kids with rare cancer who lost all their family to a horrible house fire and if you don’t like it then 100 more children will get cancer from terrorists – it’s not real. Don’t click on it.

Share this post within 10 seconds if you agree!
Don’t share and you will get AIDS.
92YJ/2.5L/HD4:1D300/F&R D44/5:38/36 SX/99"WB

Nothing is stronger than stupid...
B.A.R.K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 09:23 AM   #23 (permalink)
I See You

Member # 138976
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.A.R.K:16645426
Quote:
Scam? What is the story on those thing?
All About Those Facebook 'Like' Scam Posts | Daylan Does

Quote:
All about those Facebook ‘Like’ scam posts

You know what annoys me? People who stand still on escalators.

You know what REALLY annoys me?
Facebook posts like this!

Not a day goes by that I don’t login to see one of these posts. And they always seem to have a bazillion (no exaggeration) likes, comments or shares.

Nearly 5000 people figured this would work.

5000 people figured typing a word into the comment field would make ‘something’ happen.

Hint: Nothing happened.

These posts infuriate me.

And it’s not just the fact they are polluting my newsfeed with rubbish and distracting me from the stuff I wanna see, like my friends sharing their thoughts on TV shows, photos of food or jokes they’ve stolen from Reddit. It’s the unashamed use of terrible circumstances like cancer, or sick kids or horrific accidents that these pages usually use to get clicks that really pisses me off.

But why do these pages exist?
What are the benefits of posting a picture with a quote like ‘Like if you hate cancer, ignore if you don’t’?

To get to a proper answer to that question, you have to get a little nerdy. It’s all about the Facebook Like algorithm. The secret formula that makes activities such as sharing, commenting and liking a post such a valuable commodity.

The Facebook Like algorithm is Facebook’s way of dictating if content is of any value to users. The more likes/shares/comments it gets, the more exposure to certain people it, and the profile it belongs to, will get both short term and long term.

All these metrics contribute to a users ‘EdgeRank’ – the score your profile is given that dictates how your page interacts with other profiles on Facebook. The greater a page/profiles edge rank is, the more it will be exposed in people’s newsfeed. EdgeRank is the reason you see a lot of rubbish in your feed these days. Certain people and pages have edge rank factors that Facebook have decided are relevant to you.

So back to the original issue: Why do these pages exist?

A: Because there is money to be made from it.

Businesses worldwide are trying to figure out how to best utilise platforms like Facebook, Twitter and Google Plus (haha, na I’m just kidding about Google Plus). They know that EdgeRank, likes, brand exposure and followers are important, even if they don’t know exactly why or what to do with it. But the problem is, building up these audiences and edge rank is a time consuming and often difficult task. And because of the time and effort required, this occurs :

The ‘my sister Mallory’ scam
This post stated that someones ‘sister’ Mallory has down syndrome & doesn’t think she’s beautiful. It then asked for ‘likes’ it to show her she is.
The REAL story about this little girl is something much different: Read about it here

Structure of a Facebook scam
1.A page is created.

2.This page put out a constant stream of heart wrenching and/or mildly amusing images that are shared publicly with a call to action to click, share or comment.
3.These posts are initially shared by a big group of people all in the same network who have all built up their edge rank over a period of time that then results in the posts eventually leaking into the newsfeeds of real-life accounts.
4.These people share, like or comment which then spreads.
5.Eventually a friend of yours hits that little thumbs up button
6.It’s in your newsfeed.

And within 3 days a post like this one has 70,000 likes, and someone somewhere is about to make a nice little profit by selling the page to a business wanting some quick wins.

The buyer then changes some of the page details. BAM! Instant fanpage with a big following, lots of likes and an in depth edge rank, capable of pushing out content to a pre-built list of thousands of Facebook users. (edit: Page name cannot be altered after 200 likes, just details of the page).

So, that’s it. I’m sure you knew it already, but these things are dodgy. Where there is profit to be made, there will be people who will figure out a way to game the system. This is one of the games. Best way to stop this stuff from occurring is to not promote this rubbish.

Pro tip: If you do see a post about sick kids with rare cancer who lost all their family to a horrible house fire and if you don’t like it then 100 more children will get cancer from terrorists – it’s not real. Don’t click on it.

Share this post within 10 seconds if you agree!
Don’t share and you will get AIDS.
Shared to keep the aids away !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I Like Bright Colors

Romans 1:28-32

Matthews 7:15-20

John 14

Surah 109

For the best deal on 8 lug disc brakes click here--> www.lugnut4x4.com
Provience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 09:43 AM   #24 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 6417
Anyone got a pic of Ironpig?
Old 03-12-2013, 12:46 PM   #25 (permalink)

Member # 4358
Send a message via Yahoo to FYRMAN
Quote:
Originally Posted by surveyboy View Post
we as PBB need to come up with one and see how long it takes to go viral like all the other crap thats posted.
Josh Turner made it happen with that little kids monster truck page.