For Pitbull dog owners... Absolutely yes. - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > General Chit-Chat
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2013, 07:23 AM   #1 (permalink)
Gravity Works!

Member # 25608
For Pitbull dog owners... Absolutely yes.

Yep yep yep.

Quote:
The new rules, which go into effect Thursday, require owners of “dangerous dogs” to carry $1 million in liability insurance, post signs, complete an obedience class with the dog, and keep the dog in a locked, fenced-in area. Owners must also comply with seven pages worth of other requirements to keep their pets in the city.

Officials say a dog is deemed dangerous if it bites or attacks a person, or causes serious injury to another domestic animal. Exceptions include dogs protecting an owner or a homeowner’s property.

City leaders say they created the ordinance after receiving 32 reports of dog bites and attacks during 2012 in Royal Oak.

Royal Oak resident John Scott said the ordinance is a good move for the city, putting the responsibility on the owners instead of the dogs.

“If you’re a dog owner, you know that dogs are protective of their territory. There’s an old saying that there’s no bad dogs, just bad owners,” he said.

Lori Wosnicki, who has a Bernese Mountain Dog, she understands the reason for the new ordinance, but still thinks that it goes too far.

“Look at this dog, who goes to schools and has kids lay all over him. I have a really hard time with [the ordinance] because how do you decide what’s dangerous,” she said.

Violation of the dog ordinance is a misdemeanor offense, punishable by a fine up to $500 and 90 days in jail.
Old 05-16-2013, 07:27 AM   #2 (permalink)
Unleash the me.

Member # 113176
Let's do it for guns too. And cars. And forks.
"Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say that there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe."
LucasFury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 07:27 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 22923
Royal Oak, MI
Old 05-16-2013, 07:31 AM   #4 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 57779
so do you have to do all that after a dog bites someone or because you own a breed that is deemed dangerous
nahmus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 07:36 AM   #5 (permalink)
Bean flicker

Member # 43637
Quote:
Originally Posted by nahmus View Post
so do you have to do all that after a dog bites someone or because you own a breed that is deemed dangerous
This ^^^^ Article says one thing, then another.

I own German Shepherds, they haven't bitten anyone..........yet. So are they deemed dangerous already?
Back in college, we were making up acetylene balloons and putting them in a box to take off to light. Guy comes into the room, goes "Balloons!" and grabs a balloon, rubs it on his head, and sticks it to the wall... Everyone was diving for cover...
Ol'Customcj7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 07:37 AM   #6 (permalink)
Who stole my title?

Member # 70825
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucasFury View Post
Guns, cars, and forks are not going to cause harm on their own.

The million dollar insurance policy goes too far. I would be fine with mandatory chipping and heavy fines for dogs that are not properly kept on a leash or escape from their fenced in area.

A responsible dog owner would already have a proper fence and would keep their dogs on a leash when out in public.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screwzer2 View Post
Huh. Yeah, I guess you're right.
void_of_light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 07:43 AM   #7 (permalink)
Bald Eagle Fucker

Member # 101407
Give me a link. Gonna poke the Facebook bear.
Elvis38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 07:47 AM   #8 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 20728
Go for it. I will walk up and poke the hell out of your dog until it bites me then sue this shit out of you. Brilliant idea!
Romogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 07:51 AM   #9 (permalink)
Gravity Works!

Member # 25608
Quote:
Nah, just pitbulls.
Old 05-16-2013, 07:54 AM   #10 (permalink)
Gravity Works!

Member # 25608
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvis38 View Post
Give me a link. Gonna poke the Facebook bear.
Royal Oak Ordinance Requires $1 Million
Old 05-16-2013, 07:55 AM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 19500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landslide View Post
Nah, just pitbulls.
Article never mentions Pitbulls. Troll much?
OverThrottle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 07:57 AM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 236068
Quote:
When the last time you seen a gun, a car or fork suddenly jump on it's own bite some kids fawking face off?
LongKnocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 07:59 AM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 224970
I'm ok with it. It seems to state clearly:

"Officials say a dog is deemed dangerous if it bites or attacks a person, or causes serious injury to another domestic animal. Exceptions include dogs protecting an owner or a homeowner’s property."

When the dog is protecting you or it's property it is exempt. What's wrong with this? It only applies if your dog has bitten a person or causes "serious" injury to another animal.

Good, it will deter dumbshit tough guys from having dogs they can't handle. It bites, it goes or you pay. $1 mil seems out of line though. I'm not sure what would be appropriate, but 1 mil, that's a lot.

The problem will be the investigator getting the facts on the situation. It would be their judgement why the bite happened. But in reality if your dogs is biting people you have a problem that needs to be addressed, a problem you obviously can't handle. Skip the breed and penalize bites, sounds legit.

In conclusion, Pitbull population will decline, Good!
Early '99, 7.3/4R to Cummins 6.7/ZF6 CONVERSION WITH BASIC MODS, AIR LOCKERS, 4:11, 33" TOYO M/T'S.

Last edited by Project20v; 05-16-2013 at 08:01 AM.
Project20v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 08:01 AM   #14 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 116537
I would think that if your dog bites or attacks a person, or causes serious injury to another domestic animal it should be put down. At this point, the owner has already demonstrated an inability to properly train or keep his dog under control.
emiller22207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 08:12 AM   #15 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 57779
if its after a dog bite and the owner does all this to keep the dog then i'm ok with this.
nahmus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 08:14 AM   #16 (permalink)
DWT

Member # 19850
My city has 2 parts. The newer area thats nice and the older area where every thug wanna be has at least1 pit they beat till its mean so they can have dog fights. That caused them to have a "dangerous breed" ordnance. To legally have my pussy weenie pit in city limits we need to have a 250k insurance policy, 6 sided kennel obedience training etc. OR he can go through the "good k9 citizens academy" and he'll be treated like any other dog.

Taiwanese Garbage should stay in Taiwan.
DWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 08:24 AM   #17 (permalink)
Gravity Works!

Member # 25608
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverThrottle View Post
Article never mentions Pitbulls. Troll much?
It's my opinion, don't like it? Too bad.
Old 05-16-2013, 09:03 AM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 160982
What about ferrets?
Pet ferret bites 7 fingers off baby boy parents investigated for neglect | Mail Online

Pomeranians?
Baby Girl Killed by Family Dog - Los Angeles Times

Boxers?
Dog Runs Down Man: Boxer Bulldog Kills Owner with Family Car

Mastiffs?
Woman killed by her 140-lb. dog: Reason why previous owners gave Mastiff away - Portland Top News | Examiner.com

I know it's wiki but its the best I could find.
Fatal dog attacks in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You really need to lose your hard on for pits and realize people should never leave a kid alone with any animal. A friends 1yr old girl was bit in the face by her grandparents toy poodle. She has quite the scar but instead of killing the damn dog they just said she "scared it and it wouldn't ever hurt anyone."

I've grown up around pits and know many people who have them for pets, guard dogs and hog dogs. I have played with theses dogs and had a 70lb pit that was a beast of a hog dog come sit and beg for attention by sitting up on his haunches like a small dog. I have only been bit once in my life and that was a golden retriever.
yogisjeep is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 09:07 AM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 5371
Send a message via MSN to rockota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Project20v View Post
I'm ok with it. It seems to state clearly:

"Officials say a dog is deemed dangerous if it bites or attacks a person, or causes serious injury to another domestic animal. Exceptions include dogs protecting an owner or a homeowner’s property."

When the dog is protecting you or it's property it is exempt. What's wrong with this? It only applies if your dog has bitten a person or causes "serious" injury to another animal.
I have very serious problems with the highlighted...

what if the neighbors cat is in my yard and my dog needs an afternoon snack?
What if a neighbor sees my dog killing a snake - which some people have as pets?
rockota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 09:12 AM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 224970
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockota View Post
I have very serious problems with the highlighted...

what if the neighbors cat is in my yard and my dog needs an afternoon snack?
What if a neighbor sees my dog killing a snake - which some people have as pets?
Pay attention - "Exceptions include dogs protecting an owner or a homeowner’s property."

Your property EXCLUDED.
Early '99, 7.3/4R to Cummins 6.7/ZF6 CONVERSION WITH BASIC MODS, AIR LOCKERS, 4:11, 33" TOYO M/T'S.
Old 05-16-2013, 09:13 AM   #21 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 18977
Send a message via AIM to Otto Man
Quote:
Yep yep yep.
No matter which side of the topic you're on, you do realize that lawsuits are going to increase, right? You don't have a problem with sue-happy American suing even more?

It's a respect issue. Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

Would you tell your Grandmother to go suck a big black cock, just because you could?
Otto Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 09:15 AM   #22 (permalink)

Member # 224970
Quote:
Originally Posted by yogisjeep View Post
What about ferrets?
Pet ferret bites 7 fingers off baby boy parents investigated for neglect | Mail Online

Pomeranians?
Baby Girl Killed by Family Dog - Los Angeles Times

Boxers?
Dog Runs Down Man: Boxer Bulldog Kills Owner with Family Car

Mastiffs?
Woman killed by her 140-lb. dog: Reason why previous owners gave Mastiff away - Portland Top News | Examiner.com

I know it's wiki but its the best I could find.
Fatal dog attacks in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You really need to lose your hard on for pits and realize people should never leave a kid alone with any animal. A friends 1yr old girl was bit in the face by her grandparents toy poodle. She has quite the scar but instead of killing the damn dog they just said she "scared it and it wouldn't ever hurt anyone."

I've grown up around pits and know many people who have them for pets, guard dogs and hog dogs. I have played with theses dogs and had a 70lb pit that was a beast of a hog dog come sit and beg for attention by sitting up on his haunches like a small dog. I have only been bit once in my life and that was a golden retriever.
The OP is not breed biased. Skip anything that's not a dog, that's not the topic.
Old 05-16-2013, 09:16 AM   #23 (permalink)

Member # 15587
HA HA your stupid if you think this will do much for the pitbull..More little dogs bite people every day wich means on average more people will have to carry that heafty ins policy on small dogs over pits.

Pits do kill more people then small dogs but thats not what this is about..Its about a dog (anydog ) that bites deemed dangerous that the owner has to carry ins..Ha ha,,try again..This will effect more people with small dogs over pit bulls.

all pits are bad,,all 4wd users are red neck hicks and the prius will save the world
Old 05-16-2013, 09:16 AM   #24 (permalink)
DMG

Member # 8145
Quote:
It's my opinion, don't like it? Too bad.
No, you are citing an article. Unless you wrote the article you need to separate your opinion.
Old 05-16-2013, 09:18 AM   #25 (permalink)

Member # 224970
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Man View Post
No matter which side of the topic you're on, you do realize that lawsuits are going to increase, right? You don't have a problem with sue-happy American suing even more?
You don't think they aren't suing already?

With this ins. will pay instead of a broke dog owner. The rates will rise so high that if your dog bites someone you can't afford to own it.