How to disable Event Data Recorder.... - Page 4 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > General Chit-Chat
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2013, 12:01 AM   #76 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 162771
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1uglyranger View Post
No he isn't

I have had the popo ask me to retrieve and record said data for them. Unless you know a cop that has some fancy equipment that I don't have.

If you don't want the data recorded, unplug the ORC. Your air bag light will illuminate, and the vehicle will drive just fine. You will not have air bag operation (that may save your life) and a couple other previously mentioned things, but at least "the man" won't know how fast you were going when you hit that light pole in the mall parking lot.

Even on a CAN bus vehicle, unplugging an ORC, or OCM will not affect the way it runs.......

If you don't like that..... buy a CJ7
We've already concluded that at this point in time there is no practical way to prevent the EDR from recording, short of a ORCectomy, as you describe. But the interest was in preventing recording, not defeating air bags.

The only possibility so far is installing a doppelganger (and inoperative) ORC, stub harness and OBD connector. Then you can hide the functioning originals, and anyone attempting to download events from the doppelganger (that sits in the stock location) will come up dry.

EDIT: I do drive one of those. The investigation is on behalf of an interested aquaintance.

Last edited by plym49; 05-18-2013 at 08:17 AM.
plym49 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2013, 12:07 AM   #77 (permalink)

Member # 48279
Out in the distance the faint sound of a crumpled tinfoil hat being thrown to the floor in anger will be heard by no man.

End thread.
Old 05-18-2013, 12:13 AM   #78 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 162771
Quote:
Originally Posted by _nailhead_ View Post
Out in the distance the faint sound of a crumpled tinfoil hat being thrown to the floor in anger will be heard by no man.
Guess the tinfoil got ripped by the nail in your head.
Old 05-18-2013, 12:22 AM   #79 (permalink)
Hardcore Web Wheeler

Member # 102426
There is a European automotive hacking forum that deals with mostly cloning OEM automotive software. I have seen those guys share hacks for clearing crash data and such. The bad news is that it's based towards Euro market cars, I don't think I've seen anything Jeep related over there. However those guys do a ton of stuff with MBZ, might be a good place to check.
Pm me if you want a link.
Old 05-18-2013, 01:33 AM   #80 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 140878
Will it be possible to open it up and modify in a way that it will communicate but won't "save" the data because its memory components are missing or modified?
Old 05-18-2013, 08:13 AM   #81 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 162771
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailTamer XJ View Post
Will it be possible to open it up and modify in a way that it will communicate but won't "save" the data because its memory components are missing or modified?
I wonder if it would still spit an error code.

But its a good thought as perhaps there is just one memory write pin that needs to be opened.
Old 05-18-2013, 08:16 AM   #82 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 162771
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitetrash303 View Post
There is a European automotive hacking forum that deals with mostly cloning OEM automotive software. I have seen those guys share hacks for clearing crash data and such. The bad news is that it's based towards Euro market cars, I don't think I've seen anything Jeep related over there. However those guys do a ton of stuff with MBZ, might be a good place to check.
Pm me if you want a link.
You make a good point; the various h@cker spaces will probably be diving into these units soon enough. Not really interested in reflashing chips but perhaps if anyone else is interested in that type of approach they could PM you.
Old 05-18-2013, 08:41 PM   #83 (permalink)

Member # 189225
Send a message via AIM to kastein Send a message via Skype™ to kastein
Did you really just use an @ symbol instead of an A in hackerspace?

So elite.

PS: lifting a write pin will almost certainly result in the controller throwing some sort of a code indicating it can't write to its memory. Something like the P0601 code thrown by some dodge PCMs when their internal data storage flash chip can't be communicated with by the main MCU in the PCM after attempting 3 (or 6, I forget) serial bus requests. This isn't the 80s where you just rip shit out and the computer blindly keeps going like nothing happened, not realizing that it's sending data into the void.
Old 05-18-2013, 09:00 PM   #84 (permalink)
Hillbilly Houndsman

Member # 13420
Damn you guys are making me scared to get rid of my 93 Dodge diesel.
It needs no hot wires to run. Wire the fuel solenoid open, roll the tires over, dump the clutch and it is running.

www.MountaineerOffroad.com
SilverZuk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2013, 09:05 PM   #85 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 162771
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverZuk View Post
Damn you guys are making me scared to get rid of my 93 Dodge diesel.
It needs no hot wires to run. Wire the fuel solenoid open, roll the tires over, dump the clutch and it is running.
Yup, that's why every vehicle I own is pre-OBD2, and most are not even computerized.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.