Buying a clothes washer and dryer, brands to avoid? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > General Chit-Chat
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-15-2013, 07:15 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 53453
Buying a clothes washer and dryer, brands to avoid?

As the title says... Finally have my laundry room pretty much ready to go, so I need a washer and dryer to put in it.

Is there brands to avoid?

I will just be going with a top loader washer... F' those fancy front loaders.

Considering buying random used ones of CL... Good idea, or am I going to just hate the purchasing process?
Old 07-15-2013, 07:18 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 107575
There are only a handful of different manufacturers and most are rebadged......

If you're going top loader look for something with no center agitator.....

I've installed them for years but dont feel comfortable pointing you in any one direction.....buying cheap is not a horrible idea though
bigdummy30 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 07:23 PM   #3 (permalink)
Pura Vida

Member # 42720
Shit I just sold a kenmore elite top loader for $50 on kijiji. Was a screaming deal just to get rid of it, would have been worth it even with shipping for you!

THE MEEK SHALL INHERIT NOTHING

www.normalguysnetwork.com
ChaseYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 07:27 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 77434
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdummy30 View Post

If you're going top loader look for something with no center agitator.....
Thats about the last thing I would recommend. If you want a high efficiancy washer the front loader is the only way to go. It will do everthing the high efficiancy top loader will do and so much more and a much better job. If you want the old style top loader with an agitator and a full tub of water you're going to find out when you go looking for one they are becoming nonexistant. however Speed Queen still makes them. They are built on the pre-1999 old Amana platform and a great machine. They are not the cheapest thing around but they are built better then anything else made in the last 10 years.

Last edited by -Mike-; 07-15-2013 at 07:27 PM.
-Mike- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 07:33 PM   #5 (permalink)
Who stole my title?

Member # 70825
My $500 for the pair Roper washer and dryer are still going strong after 11 years.

I have no idea if newer ones are any good though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screwzer2 View Post
Huh. Yeah, I guess you're right.
void_of_light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 07:39 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 146713
Go top loader, every front loader from every brand is going to be unreliable
thatguyintheback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 07:58 PM   #7 (permalink)
Hoghead

Member # 27141
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyComanche View Post
F' those fancy front loaders.
I have Bosch front loader washer and dryer. I FUCKING hate them!!!
Old 07-15-2013, 08:04 PM   #8 (permalink)
Infected

Member # 1041
Send a message via MSN to papee Send a message via Yahoo to papee
Quote:
Originally Posted by void_of_light View Post
My $500 for the pair Roper washer and dryer are still going strong after 11 years.

I have no idea if newer ones are any good though.
Roper here too going on 8 years. Wife is a bit unhappy with me, I was doing some plumbing above them and dripped some purple primer on the washer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overbear View Post
You are surprised a cop was abusing his power?
papee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 08:13 PM   #9 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 106178
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdummy30 View Post

buying cheap is not a horrible idea though
fawking this!! My Whirlpool Admiral set was like 600 OTD for the pair 8 years ago and have been flawless. Screw that expensive unreliable shit.
takotruckin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 08:13 PM   #10 (permalink)
Pura Vida

Member # 42720
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRNDRVR View Post
I have samsung fronts and they are awesome.

Old 07-15-2013, 08:13 PM   #11 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 39312
Check a few local stores for a scratch and dent section. I had a dryer that needed to be replaced and got a fancy model in scratch and dent for the same money as the bottom of the line new one.
Old 07-15-2013, 08:18 PM   #12 (permalink)
Big Meanie

Member # 5859
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaseYJ View Post
I have samsung fronts and they are awesome.
I've got LG fronts and love them. We had a pump go bad on the washer. Wasn't bad enough to not work, just making noise.

I asked the repairman which brand he repairs the most. He said Samsung. I didn't ask model numbers.

Unfortunately, when we brought up the fridge, my brand, LG was high ont he repair list.

- The lush life-giving land, our personal responsibility.

Ventura County Axle Snappers - Nevada County Chapter
Haole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 08:29 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 152085
Our 10+ year old Westinghouse shit the bed last night after a long weekend camping. Sent the wife to Sears and got a Kenmore for $285 out the door (it was returned, but supposedly worked). The same model listed for $499 but was on sale for $399.

Well, the wife got it home and I realized why they returned it. The plastic cold hose fitting had been cross threaded. A little Teflon tape and a new hose washer saved me $140.

Just a little less money for the Jeep before Sierra Trek.
POS YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 08:35 PM   #14 (permalink)
Pura Vida

Member # 42720
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haole View Post
I've got LG fronts and love them. We had a pump go bad on the washer. Wasn't bad enough to not work, just making noise.

I asked the repairman which brand he repairs the most. He said Samsung. I didn't ask model numbers.

Unfortunately, when we brought up the fridge, my brand, LG was high ont he repair list.
These are the fancy ones but less than 4 years old so lots of time for them to break yet! Set before that were samsung too and not a problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by POS YJ View Post
Our 10+ year old Westinghouse shit the bed last night after a long weekend camping. Sent the wife to Sears and got a Kenmore for $285 out the door (it was returned, but supposedly worked). The same model listed for $499 but was on sale for $399.

Well, the wife got it home and I realized why they returned it. The plastic cold hose fitting had been cross threaded. A little Teflon tape and a new hose washer saved me $140.

Just a little less money for the Jeep before Sierra Trek.
My first fronts were ken,ore elite from the sears furniture outlet store. Washer was scratch and dent and dryer had been returned. Gt them home and dryer didn't work. Repair guy came out and said the trans was bad in it and since I had just bought it out in the work order fr full replacement dryer. Score!

Old 07-15-2013, 08:44 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 53453
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguyintheback View Post
Go top loader, every front loader from every brand is going to be unreliable
That's what my thinking is.

Plus, I am not stacking them.

I don't understand why you would want to load anything from the front when it is at ground level. I actually don't understand why there's no top loading dryers either (maybe there is).

My parents have a pair of Kenmore front loaders, I think... They've been okay for them, but I think they were quite expensive when new. I'm not digging expensive right now.

Homodepot has 'Hotpoint' as a brand. Sounds like it's their shit? So, probably rebadged something else. They're cheap...
Old 07-15-2013, 08:44 PM   #16 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 39143
My appliance repair friend recommended Kenmore when I asked him about a drier a few months ago. He also said fuck front loading washers.

I've also had good luck with cheap shit. Actually, pretty much perfect luck. I bought some mid-range Kenmore stuff S&D from a Sears appliance pickup years ago, and it still worked 5+ years later when I sold it. My current drier is a $150 CL special Kenmore and it hasn't given me problems either.
locotaco85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 08:45 PM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 53453
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRNDRVR View Post
What's wrong with them? Since you seem passionate enough about the subject.
Old 07-15-2013, 09:04 PM   #18 (permalink)
Antisocial

Member # 139337
Quote:

I don't understand why you would want to load anything from the front when it is at ground level. I actually don't understand why there's no top loading dryers either (maybe there is).
Probably because the clothes need to tumble around to dry properly/efficiently.
I found out about him being an orphan Chinese immigrant. Dude worked the first half of his life in a dim overcrowded toy factory, scrubbing lead dust off of dolls. I can just see him over in the corner with his little asbestos brush and a bottle of formaldehyde cleaner...[...]
JMAN3203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 09:08 PM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 167824
Had a Debby once, didn't do a very good job.
Old 07-15-2013, 09:19 PM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 53453
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMAN3203 View Post
Probably because the clothes need to tumble around to dry properly/efficiently.
We can put a man on the moon, implant a microchip into a living organism, clone farm animals, and build a pedal powered helicopter.

Yet, it seems you think we couldn't make a top loading drier.

Well, fair enough.
Old 07-15-2013, 09:27 PM   #21 (permalink)
Antisocial

Member # 139337
Quote:
We can put a man on the moon, implant a microchip into a living organism, clone farm animals, and build a pedal powered helicopter.

Yet, it seems you think we couldn't make a top loading drier.

Well, fair enough.
Canadian problems.

I live in a more populated part of Arkansas and still see people hanging up clotheslines from their balconies. Get to it.
I found out about him being an orphan Chinese immigrant. Dude worked the first half of his life in a dim overcrowded toy factory, scrubbing lead dust off of dolls. I can just see him over in the corner with his little asbestos brush and a bottle of formaldehyde cleaner...[...]
JMAN3203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 09:28 PM   #22 (permalink)

Member # 53453
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMAN3203 View Post
Canadian problems.

I live in a more populated part of Arkansas and still see people hanging up clotheslines from their balconies. Get to it.
Only two problems.

1. I don't have a balcony.

2. Half the year the clothes would just turn solid.
Old 07-15-2013, 09:38 PM   #23 (permalink)

Member # 77434
Quote:

My parents have a pair of Kenmore front loaders, I think... They've been okay for them, but I think they were quite expensive when new. I'm not digging expensive right now.

Homodepot has 'Hotpoint' as a brand. Sounds like it's their shit? So, probably rebadged something else. They're cheap...
Hotpoint is a low end GE. It will be just as reliable as a GE, maybe even better since they are more basic. Any manufacturer's low end brand, like Hotpoint, will usually have a smaller capacity though so if you're doing big loads thats something to keep in mind.

About the front loading washers, you don't buy one just because you can load them from the front. That would be stupid since they are harder to unload when everything is pressed tight against the drum. And you don't have to stack them. The is a lot of advantages of a front loader over an old style top loader though. They have a much bigger capacity. Some will take twice the load a top loader will. You can't really overload one because of how it washes. Even big thick king sized comforters will do fine in a front loading washer. They wash much better then a top loader will and its a much gentler washing action so clothing will not wear as much as it will in a top loader. You'll notice in the dryer you don't get as much lint on the screen if you have a front load washer because the fibers in the material are not being broken down as much while washing. If you need to conserve water (well, septic...) a front loader will do that. They spin so fast the dryer doesn't need to run as long or it will use less energy. I've got a front loader myself and I wouldn't have anything else.
Some of the downsides to them is they can be a lot more expensive to repair if something should fail. Some brands are a lot better then others though when looking at reliability and repairs so with a good brand I wouldn't worry too much about the expensive repairs. I would never recommend a front loader (or any high efficiancy washer) to someone who regularly washes stuff with a lot of pet hair in it. like a vet office, dog groomer, ect. In that case the old style water hog top loaders do a better job with all the water to help rinse everything out. Many of them will also have mechaincal drain pumps they are far less likely to clog up.
Some people with a front loader will complain about a bad smell in the washer, but thats always due to improper use. And sometimes proper use is going against what the book says. If you do everything right with it you won't have any trouble there.

About top loading dryers, there is at least one out there. I can't remember if its a Fisher & Paykel or a Bosch because they are not common around here and I've only seen one or two in the last 15 years. They only thing I remember about them is its a very complicated thing to make them work. And with complication usually comes less reliability.
-Mike- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 09:50 PM   #24 (permalink)

Member # 22805
Quote:
Originally Posted by locotaco85 View Post
My appliance repair friend recommended Kenmore when I asked him about a drier a few months ago. He also said fuck front loading washers.
Kenmore does not make any of their appliances, they are manufactured for them by all the major brands, and then branded with the Kenmore name. The first three digits of the model number tell you who manufactured that particular unit. For example 106 and 110 are whirlpool models.
Let me tell you my friend if you gonna live this life
It's not good for you to build strife
Robert Neshta Marley ; Cravin choke puppy[/QUOTE][/COLOR][/B]
stomper4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 09:56 PM   #25 (permalink)

Member # 53453
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Mike- View Post
Hotpoint is a low end GE. It will be just as reliable as a GE, maybe even better since they are more basic. Any manufacturer's low end brand, like Hotpoint, will usually have a smaller capacity though so if you're doing big loads thats something to keep in mind.

About the front loading washers, you don't buy one just because you can load them from the front. That would be stupid since they are harder to unload when everything is pressed tight against the drum. And you don't have to stack them. The is a lot of advantages of a front loader over an old style top loader though. They have a much bigger capacity. Some will take twice the load a top loader will. You can't really overload one because of how it washes. Even big thick king sized comforters will do fine in a front loading washer. They wash much better then a top loader will and its a much gentler washing action so clothing will not wear as much as it will in a top loader. You'll notice in the dryer you don't get as much lint on the screen if you have a front load washer because the fibers in the material are not being broken down as much while washing. If you need to conserve water (well, septic...) a front loader will do that. They spin so fast the dryer doesn't need to run as long or it will use less energy. I've got a front loader myself and I wouldn't have anything else.
Some of the downsides to them is they can be a lot more expensive to repair if something should fail. Some brands are a lot better then others though when looking at reliability and repairs so with a good brand I wouldn't worry too much about the expensive repairs. I would never recommend a front loader (or any high efficiancy washer) to someone who regularly washes stuff with a lot of pet hair in it. like a vet office, dog groomer, ect. In that case the old style water hog top loaders do a better job with all the water to help rinse everything out. Many of them will also have mechaincal drain pumps they are far less likely to clog up.
Some people with a front loader will complain about a bad smell in the washer, but thats always due to improper use. And sometimes proper use is going against what the book says. If you do everything right with it you won't have any trouble there.

About top loading dryers, there is at least one out there. I can't remember if its a Fisher & Paykel or a Bosch because they are not common around here and I've only seen one or two in the last 15 years. They only thing I remember about them is its a very complicated thing to make them work. And with complication usually comes less reliability.
Thanks for the in-depth posting.

I'm on a well and septic, but I don't have a shortage of water, or ability to process it, as I live alone. I guess it would be a consideration for down the road. Although, my personality rules out a SO, so it would just be if I rented out the basement.

Are the front loaders better for really effing dirty clothing, or is the traditional top loader going to do better...? I take it the front loader will still win, it's just a hair clogging issue that's the problem for them.

What's the ticket on avoiding the smelly front loader? There's one at the hangar near here that's like that, it's rather unpleasant.

Does iron content in the water affect either differently? Planning on getting an iron filter within a few months, but I've been saying that for a year now