Truckers Plan to Slow D.C. Beltway - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > General Chit-Chat
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2013, 04:35 PM   #1 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 30586
Truckers Plan to Slow D.C. Beltway

Sucks for anyone in DC.

'Truckers for the Constitution' Plan to Slow D.C. Beltway, Arrest Congressmen - US News and World Report

Tractor-trailer drivers will intentionally clog the inner loop of the Washington, D.C., beltway beginning on the morning of Oct. 11, according to a coordinator of the upcoming "Truckers Ride for the Constitution" rally.

Organizers of the three-day ride want to call attention to a litany of trucker frustrations and express their disapproval of national political leaders.

Earl Conlon, a Georgia trucker who is handling logistics for the protest, told U.S. News tractor-trailer drivers will circle the beltway "three lanes deep" as he rides with other participants to Congress to seek the arrest of congressmen for allegedly disregarding the Constitution.

[EARLIER: Truckers Say Their D.C. Shutdown Is Full-Speed Ahead]

The truckers circling I-495 will keep the left lane open for emergency vehicles, Conlon said, but "everybody that doesn't have a supporter sticker on their window, good luck: Nobody in, nobody out." The trucks will be going the 55 mile-per-hour speed limit.

D.C. commuters who wish to be allowed past the convoy must have "T2SDA" – an acronym for the event's original name, "Truckers to Shut Down America" – written on their vehicle, he said.

"It's going to be real fun for anyone who is not a supporter," Conlon said, "[and] if cops decide to give us a hard time, we're going to lock the brakes up, we're going to stop right there, we're going to be a three lane roadblock."

Zeeda Andrews, a former country music singer helping promote the protest, said last week participants would present demands to congressmen – including the impeachment of President Barack Obama – and give the congressmen an opportunity to agree to the demands in exchange for canceling the ride.

[GALLERY: Country Crippled by Government Shutdown]

But Conlon says that's not quite right.

"We are not going to ask for impeachment," Conlon said. "We are coming whether they like it or not. We're not asking for impeachment, we're asking for the arrest of everyone in government who has violated their oath of office."

Conlon cited the idea of a citizens grand jury – meaning a pool of jurors convened without court approval – as the mechanism for indicting the officials.

"We want these people arrested, and we're coming in with the grand jury to do it," he said. "We are going to ask the law enforcement to uphold their constitutional oath and make these arrests. If they refuse to do it, by the power of the people of the United States and the people's grand jury, they don't want to do it, we will. ... We the people will find a way."

[RELATED: In D.C., You Can Parade Without Paperwork]

It's almost certain that anyone attempting to "arrest" a member of Congress would be arrested themselves for attempted kidnapping.

Conlon and Andrews say Obama committed "treason" by allegedly funneling weapons to al-Qaida-linked rebels in Syria. Members of Congress who support arming Syrian rebels, Conlon said, are accessories to the alleged crime. He identified House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif., and Sen. Dianne Feinstein, D-Calif., as politicians he will seek to arrest for alleged acts against the Constitution.

Andrews said last week 3,000 truckers had RSVP-ed to the event, and Conlon says he's now lost count of the number. He says he's receiving around 100 emails a day from prospective participants.

"What we want to do is go in nice and peaceful and keep it as peaceful as possible... but if they decide to get ugly with us we're going to do what we have to do," he said. "If all I get is one or two congressmen walked out of there in handcuffs, that will be a shot across the bow that will ripple across all branches of government. ... I hope they are all civil enough and brave enough to step out onto the congressional steps."

Trucker-specific grievances behind the protest include Environmental Protection Agency fuel efficiency standards and the high cost of diesel fuel. State and local anti-idling laws as well as insurance companies purportedly requiring technological updates are among the irritations, as is the perceived deterioration of Fourth Amendment rights protecting truckers' cabs.

Whether or not the truckers pack a punch to D.C. area traffic depends on the number and intensity level of participants. A similar three-day protest in 2007, against illegal immigration and competition from Mexican truckers, did not spoil commutes as feared, the Washington Examiner reported. A Facebook page advertising the upcoming ride has close to 50,000 likes.
rockcrawln is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2013, 04:39 PM   #2 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 57779
now the beltway will be working at the same speed as the government.
nahmus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2013, 04:51 PM   #3 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 98578
I like the intent, but in realty this will be hurting the average citizen much worse than any politician.

Last edited by TJGreg5; 10-07-2013 at 04:51 PM.
TJGreg5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2013, 04:53 PM   #4 (permalink)
bearded lady

Member # 82435
The average citizen is our problem. Maybe those lazy average fucks will be inspired, quit their bitching and get up and do something. I'm all for it.

Buy my slide in camper:
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/misc-...l#post28739457
Rooney77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2013, 05:05 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 4391
Send a message via AIM to punkskalar
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJGreg5 View Post
I like the intent, but in realty this will be hurting the average citizen much worse than any politician.
I think it's worth being a little peeved if it gets enough attention.
Old 10-07-2013, 05:07 PM   #6 (permalink)
RIP Angel

Member # 26250
Send a message via AIM to RDUB29
More 'Hollywood Stuntin' huh?
RDUB29 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2013, 05:09 PM   #7 (permalink)
loves bacon

Member # 49159
I'm with the lezbonian on this one. If it doesn't affect the average citizen it will be forgotten amongst teen choice awards and what ever other popular soap opera/reality tv dribble is popular now. Good for them, I hope their voice is heard and answered.
Old 10-07-2013, 05:12 PM   #8 (permalink)
Banned

Member # 6957
Be great when the cops site and arrest the shit out of these guys.

It is illegal after all.
ironpig70 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2013, 05:18 PM   #9 (permalink)
Unleash the me.

Member # 113176
Unimpressed.
LucasFury is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2013, 05:18 PM   #10 (permalink)
TR
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 2877
Send a message via ICQ to TR Send a message via AIM to TR Send a message via Yahoo to TR
To do what? Drive the speed limit?
Old 10-07-2013, 05:19 PM   #11 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 57779
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpig70 View Post
Be great when the cops site and arrest the shit out of these guys.

It is illegal after all.
I don't think its illegal to drive around in a circle doing the speed limit.
nahmus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2013, 05:21 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 192681
If I remember right convoys are illegal except for military.

Last edited by kenmel; 10-07-2013 at 07:35 PM. Reason: Damnit, Now I am agreeing with the pig
kenmel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2013, 05:23 PM   #13 (permalink)
Banned

Member # 6957
Quote:
Originally Posted by nahmus View Post
I don't think its illegal to drive around in a circle doing the speed limit.

It is.

Its called impeding traffic. All trucks in the middle lane can be cited for it.
Old 10-07-2013, 05:23 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 29177
This was started by a group that has their own agenda. I don't know many that are getting involved nor are many shutting down for the weekend.
Blind Driver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2013, 05:28 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 4878
Send a message via ICQ to Travis Waldher Send a message via MSN to Travis Waldher Send a message via Yahoo to Travis Waldher
Quote:
It is.

Care to quote the law on that one.
Travis Waldher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2013, 05:32 PM   #16 (permalink)
Banned

Member # 6957
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Waldher View Post
Care to quote the law on that one.
Here is the legal definition of it

Impeding traffic is typically defined when not operating a vehicle reasonably, so as to block the normal flow of traffic. It typically is used in cases where a person is blocking an intersection or driving too slow and causing a log jam. Laws vary by jurisdiction, but are generally follow a standard of "reasonable operation". The following is an example of a state law governing impeding traffic:

" 169.15 Impeding traffic.

No person shall drive a motor vehicle at such a slow speed as to impede or block the normal and reasonable movement of traffic except when reduced speed is necessary for safe operation or in compliance with law or except when the vehicle is temporarily unable to maintain a greater speed due to a combination of the weight of the vehicle and the grade of the highway. "
Old 10-07-2013, 05:37 PM   #17 (permalink)
Banned

Member # 6957
And here is DC's law on it

I. No person shall drive a vehicle at such a slow speed as to impede or block the normal and reasonable movement of traffic. D.C. Code '40-703(a) and CDCR 18-22-2200.10
II. A person, driving at less than the normal speed of traffic, shall drive in the right-hand lane then available for traffic or as close as practicable to the right-hand curb

http://www.nhtsa.gov/people/injury/e...oc/dcspeed.pdf
Old 10-07-2013, 05:37 PM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 107575
Quote:
It is.

you don't know the capital beltway,its four lanes and only the left is restricted for trucks......this will block this city/area up good ....and i doubt there is much they can realistically do about it.

And again as somebody who drives the CB all day this will be a love/ hate ..i do love all the attention and movements that are being focused on D.C. Unfortuantely this area is about 80% libtards and won't do much to change any local thinking
bigdummy30 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2013, 05:41 PM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 107575
Quote:
And here is DC's law on it

I. No person shall drive a vehicle at such a slow speed as to impede or block the normal and reasonable movement of traffic. D.C. Code '40-703(a) and CDCR 18-22-2200.10
II. A person, driving at less than the normal speed of traffic, shall drive in the right-hand lane then available for traffic or as close as practicable to the right-hand curb

http://www.nhtsa.gov/people/injury/e...oc/dcspeed.pdf
speed limit is 55 ,all the trucks going 55 so that is the speed of traffic therefore what can they be pulled over for.....i know you're arguing to argue but it's still shocking how retarded you are most of the time.

And btw ,that's a D.C. Law you quoted,the capital beltway never actually goes IN D.C....its Va and Md
Old 10-07-2013, 05:41 PM   #20 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 116537
Truckers will be driving the 55 mph speed limit?

Obviously, these morons have never been on the inner loop. That would be a huge improvement in traffic on the Beltway. These morons will be sitting in traffic just like all the DC commuters do every fucking day.

Have fun.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 10-07-2013, 05:43 PM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 107575
Quote:
Originally Posted by emiller22207 View Post
Truckers will be driving the 55 mph speed limit?

Obviously, these morons have never been on the inner loop. That would be a huge improvement in traffic on the Beltway. These morons will be sitting in traffic just like all the DC commuters do every fucking day.

Have fun.

...that WOULD be a treat to go 55.
Old 10-07-2013, 05:46 PM   #22 (permalink)

Member # 75114
Here comes the expert on DC traffic.
keeptahoewhite is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2013, 05:46 PM   #23 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 116537
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdummy30 View Post
Unfortuantely this area is about 80% libtards and won't do much to change any local thinking
This. The truckers will only make liberals angry who would be happy to pass even more restrictive regulations on them.

Old 10-07-2013, 05:48 PM   #24 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 116537
Quote:
Originally Posted by keeptahoewhite View Post
Here comes the expert on DC traffic.
Expert at avoiding it.

Old 10-07-2013, 05:51 PM   #25 (permalink)
Banned

Member # 6957
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdummy30 View Post
speed limit is 55 ,all the trucks going 55 so that is the speed of traffic therefore what can they be pulled over for.....i know you're arguing to argue but it's still shocking how retarded you are most of the time.

And btw ,that's a D.C. Law you quoted,the capital beltway never actually goes IN D.C....its Va and Md

Its not just a DC law. About every state has a impeding traffic law.

Also doesn't matter if you are going the speed limit or not if you are holding back traffic you are going to slow and need to move over.

Lastly since this is semis I'd suspect the cops to roll out portable scales and DOT cops and fawk as many drivers as possible.

Last edited by ironpig70; 10-07-2013 at 05:51 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.