(Spinoff) Epoxy Grout - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > General Chit-Chat
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2013, 12:36 PM   #1 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 8150
Send a message via AIM to mtnbikeboy
(Spinoff) Epoxy Grout

Why all the hate for epoxy grout in Roxy's thread? I helped grout a house where they used epoxy grout in all the dirty areas (laundry, etc) and it went fine. I made sure to only do it one little tub at a time, and I used a rubber margin trowel instead of the big one. It was definitely more of a PITA to clean; I just did it by touch. If the tile felt smooth and clean, I knew I had gotten it all.

I can definitely see that if one isn't careful, it can get away and there's a big mess left for a pro to fix. Maybe having done masonry flat work gave me a leg up?

Last edited by mtnbikeboy; 10-23-2013 at 12:37 PM.
mtnbikeboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2013, 12:46 PM   #2 (permalink)
I should be working

Member # 18829
It's the only way to go in kitchens and restrooms. It is a bitch to clean up though. I've never done it myself but I've built a ton of commercial kitchens and the ones that have quarry tile always have epoxy grout.

I wish the previous owner of my house had sprung for it in my kitchen, or at the very least sealed the grout. What was white grout is stained yellow-brown and won't even come clean with bleach or scrubbing. I'm going to have to grind it all out and regrout it.
Old 10-23-2013, 12:47 PM   #3 (permalink)
In GOD we trust. USA

Member # 15480
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnbikeboy View Post
Why all the hate for epoxy grout in Roxy's thread? I helped grout a house where they used epoxy grout in all the dirty areas (laundry, etc) and it went fine. I made sure to only do it one little tub at a time, and I used a rubber margin trowel instead of the big one. It was definitely more of a PITA to clean; I just did it by touch. If the tile felt smooth and clean, I knew I had gotten it all.

I can definitely see that if one isn't careful, it can get away and there's a big mess left for a pro to fix. Maybe having done masonry flat work gave me a leg up?
+1 for spectralock

<-- AVATAR for Concealed Carry Weapons permits in the U.S. over time: No issue / May issue / Shall issue / Constitutional carry- No restrictions / FROM 1986 to today
NoJoke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2013, 12:48 PM   #4 (permalink)
Pura Vida

Member # 42720
The only way for a pro to 'fix it' is tear it all off and start over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jam Master Jay View Post
What was white grout is stained yellow-brown and won't even come clean with bleach or scrubbing. I'm going to have to grind it all out and regrout it.
There are special strippers for that, just need to get it from a tile wholesaler not a hardware store.

THE MEEK SHALL INHERIT NOTHING

www.normalguysnetwork.com

Last edited by ChaseYJ; 10-23-2013 at 12:49 PM.
ChaseYJ is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2013, 12:53 PM   #5 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 8150
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaseYJ View Post
The only way for a pro to 'fix it' is tear it all off and start over.
I understand that. I just didn't find it as difficult as your advice seems to indicate. Maybe the homeowners/handypeople I've been around are above average as well.

I'm genuinely curious, and having worked in the building trades (masonry), am always interested in a good train wreck story.
Old 10-23-2013, 02:32 PM   #6 (permalink)
Blip Blip Blip

Member # 1041
Send a message via MSN to papee Send a message via Yahoo to papee
I used it in my bathroom and I have to say now that I've used it I won't use anything else. A vinegar and water mixture cleans the tiles nice. You just have to be sure to keep rinsing your sponge. It can get sticky but overall it's just a better product.

95 YJ 4.0 HO w/ restrictor cone mod
1 1/2" shackle lift
31" Lanvigator Mud Slingers
papee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2013, 02:50 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 167824
We just finished two bathroom remodels, and the tile guys used epoxy grout, stuff works great.

I was talking to one of the tile guys, and he said it's the best stuff to ever hit the market, no mixing, easy to clean, saves time.

There were a few spots on the tile where some grout didn't wipe off, showed it too the tile guy, and he scrapped it right off with a razor blade, said if I find anymore to just scrape it with a blade.

Best part was, the dipshits designing one of the bathroom forgot to add a floor drain, and the project manager didn't care enough to inspect the plans, so after the tile guy was finished I said "where's the drain?" he said "wasn't on the plans" so I did some calling, got the project manager in there, he had an oh shit moment, forcing the tile guy to comeback 3 days later and bust out 4 tiles so the plumbers could add a drain, and even with all the hammering, and the not so great subfloor, NON of the grout cracked.
Old 10-23-2013, 06:25 PM   #8 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 16751
other than taking about 10 times as long to do, epoxy grout is great.
Do we really think that a government-dominated education is going to produce citizens capable of dominating their government, as the education of a truly vigilant self-governing people requires?[Alan Keyes]

For some, Freedom matters, for most, prosperity suffices.[Fred Reed]

74Bronco EFI 5spd
roundhouse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2013, 06:38 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 68938
I used it in our kitchen, Other than being suprised at how little is actually in the small tubs I liked it. We cut auto body filler spreaders for body filler in half instead of a trowel. Made cleanup alot easier since I was able to keep it pretty close to the grout lines. Lots of sponges and rotate them out frequently.

2006 Dodge Megacab 3500, 5.9 cummins, 6 speed, straight piped, cold air intake, Juice with attitude, 35's and leveling kit

67' Chevy 1/2 ton 400/400/208, 6" lift, 35" Toyo M/Ts
bigbadchev84 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-24-2013, 07:07 AM   #10 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 8150
These anecdotes are my experience as well.
ChaseYJ, HighLuxx what are your horror stories that make you suggest eschewing it?
Old 10-24-2013, 07:11 AM   #11 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 3511
I used it in the tub and shower, once you get used to the really short working time it wasn't hard to deal with. Can't beat the finished result.
oldjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-24-2013, 07:12 AM   #12 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 3511
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85Diesel4x4 View Post
no mixing, easy to clean, saves time.
No mixing? How do you have an epoxy grout without mixing?
oldjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.