Camping the PCH: Dos, Don'ts and Need to Knows. - Page 2 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > General Chit-Chat
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2014, 12:12 PM   #26 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 102813
And watch out for poison oak. It is thick in the northern Cali-southern Oregon regions. Lots of cool walking trails to take along the pacific coast trail but you need to be aware of where you are walking.
Attached Images

The good guys...

Marlin Crawler, Hellfire Fabworks, Dave'z Offroad, gearinstalls.com (Zuk), Diamond Axle, RADesigns, Advanced Adapters, Jantz Engineering, G-Fab motorsports, Got Propane, JHF
Mr Stubs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2014, 12:14 PM   #27 (permalink)
Not a Wenzelite

Member # 44480
The entire Oregon coastline is incredible. It's been 6 or 7 years since I've been out there, but definitely spend some time exploring. Hopefully some OR peeps can weigh in.

AFAIK, the entire coastline is public and most of the dune zone is also public.

Not sure if primitive camping is oK or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTDEVL View Post
Primitive... As in we set up a lean-to or tent on a beach. No services needed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MT4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2014, 12:22 PM   #28 (permalink)

Member # 855
I think this is a great trip and would love to do one similar.. I've done the 101 a few times and just recommend you stop and see the views and snap some pics. There is a Sea Lion sanctuary right before Herst Castle that is cool and Gianni's Pizza in Montery has some of the best Pizza around! The Montery Aquarium is a great site to see I usually spend 1/2 to 3/4 of a day there. Have fun!
Old 01-02-2014, 06:10 PM   #29 (permalink)

Member # 162643
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Stubs View Post
Stay the night in the Adobie Hotel in Yahauts Oregon.

They are right on the ocean, built on bedrock. You can watch waves crash agenst the coastline about 50' away from the hotel. They have floodlights out at night and it is great to sit in the third floor hot tub room and watch a storm roll in.
The Adobe in Yachats is sweet, I have been there before. In fact the owners daughter was in the same high school class as me and I used to hang out with her little brother quite a bit and go to the Ducks games. You can walk right down to the beach there and go tide pooling. I would have to say that would make a nice hotel night.

I forgot to mention Fern Canyon in CA north of Eureka, its a must see. The Trees of Mystery is cool too if you have never been there before. I have Trees of Mystery post cards with pictures of trees and trails on them from 1947 that my grandparents got on their honeymoon and I still recognize some of the trees.

I really like OR state campgrounds and the beach. Lots more access in my opinion. Tillamook has cheese and big blimp hangers filled with vintage aircraft to look at. Once you get to OR try the Tillamook huckleberry icecream. Its really good. Bandon is another nice town in S OR to hang out in. There is so much to see and do it will be hard to fit it all in in just two weeks.
shortbus4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2014, 06:37 PM   #30 (permalink)

Member # 10867
Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Bone View Post
In the US Forest Service lands, yes all over the place. It is called Dispersed Camping. Read up on the particular area you will be in.

You could also buy the Park Service Annual Pass, for $80, which gets you access to all National Parks, National Monuments, Fee areas if National Forests, some State Parks, and half-off camping at Forest Service developed camp grounds. You can buy them at any National Park.
The National Park Service Annual Pass is free for Military. I will be renewing mine at the Guadalupe Mountains NP right before the trip in order to keep it for about 9 months after I retire.
Old 01-03-2014, 03:16 AM   #31 (permalink)

Member # 10867
Another question: I know "Commiefornia" is not very gun-friendly. Caveats of bringing a .45? A lot of our spots are in bear country, you know...
Old 01-03-2014, 04:18 AM   #32 (permalink)

Member # 45304
When you hit Ventura CA take a +/-20 minute cruise up to Ojai via hwy 33. Love that town.

You can also take, (I believe it's hwy 150) back through to Carpenteria to Catch the 101 again.
Old 01-03-2014, 05:41 AM   #33 (permalink)
Crazy Old Troll

Member # 38193
Quote:
Another question: I know "Commiefornia" is not very gun-friendly. Caveats of bringing a .45? A lot of our spots are in bear country, you know...
All you need with California bears is to make a loud noise. Black bears will almost always run, unless the baby is around.

We get 'em all the time in the yard. It give my airedale something to tree.

Last edited by Screwzer2; 01-03-2014 at 05:42 AM.
Screwzer2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2014, 06:22 AM   #34 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 26369
Send a message via Yahoo to Urban Wheeler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subybaja View Post
Might try here: Americas - ADVrider
ADVrider.com is the place to go.
Urban Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2014, 06:57 AM   #35 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 138976
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTDEVL:23183434
No more open carry, check cc reciprocity.

up is difficult, down is dangerous
Provience is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2014, 07:31 AM   #36 (permalink)
Not a Wenzelite

Member # 44480
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortbus4x4 View Post
I really like OR state campgrounds and the beach. Lots more access in my opinion. Tillamook has cheese and big blimp hangers filled with vintage aircraft to look at. Once you get to OR try the Tillamook huckleberry icecream. Its really good. Bandon is another nice town in S OR to hang out in. There is so much to see and do it will be hard to fit it all in in just two weeks.
Also lots to do in Newport. The Aquarium is very good.

Florence is a nice seaside town. We bought fresh crab off the back of a boat and took it to my buddy's uncle's place in Yachats for a crab boil.

-
Old 01-03-2014, 07:36 AM   #37 (permalink)

Member # 7233
Send a message via AIM to Wilson
Quote:
Crap, crap

Last edited by Wilson; 01-03-2014 at 10:39 AM.
Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2014, 08:37 AM   #38 (permalink)

Member # 7233
Quote:
Originally Posted by Screwzer2 View Post
What if he holstered in Oregon and Washington?
I do not know what their handgun or open carry laws are.
Old 01-03-2014, 08:46 AM   #39 (permalink)
Not a Wenzelite

Member # 44480
OpenCarry.org | “A Right Unexercised is a Right Lost”

-
Old 01-03-2014, 09:10 AM   #40 (permalink)

Member # 7233
Quote:
Originally Posted by MT4Runner View Post
Thanks!

Oregon: Oregon | OpenCarry.org

Washington: Washington | OpenCarry.org

New Mexico: New Mexico | OpenCarry.org
Old 01-03-2014, 09:34 AM   #41 (permalink)

Member # 9222
I'd motel in California, sure you can camp, but the camp grounds are usually full and dispersed camping is hard to do on a couple of choppers because the terrain is pretty rough for street bikes, not to mention a lot of homeless camps.

I've ridden all of HWY 1 in one day between Fort Bragg and Santa Barbara, it doesn't take as long as you'd think because it's so damn fun. North of SF, it's tempting to pass on a double yellow because the cars are so slow and it's safe to make a few passes, but the CHP works that area pretty hard from the air targeting bikes passing on the double yeller. Good street bike side trip...Point Reyes.

Camping is more fun in OR/WA IMHO, go inland just a bit for warmer temps and great camps, pretty much pick any road going up a river and you'll find nice camping.
larryboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2014, 09:37 AM   #42 (permalink)

Member # 55560
How about you turn south when you hit San Diego and take Mexican highway one south for a few days? You can camp on virtually any beach for a few bucks or free, the food is fantastic, the people are friendly, the desert and coastal scenery is incredible.

Just an option. Oh wait, if you step into Mexico you will be immediately beheaded.
Old 01-03-2014, 09:40 AM   #43 (permalink)

Member # 9222
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattafact View Post
How about you turn south when you hit San Diego and take Mexican highway one south for a few days? You can camp on virtually any beach for a few bucks or free, the food is fantastic, the people are friendly, the desert and coastal scenery is incredible.

Just an option. Oh wait, if you step into Mexico you will be immediately beheaded.

Good idea, but then he'd have to leave the bear protection at home.
larryboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2014, 09:41 AM   #44 (permalink)

Member # 8227
CA does not honor (reciprocity) any other State-issued CCW.

Reciprocity with Other States

First State AG website that turned up.

Carry it unloaded in a locked case on your bike.

Last edited by J-Bone; 01-03-2014 at 10:46 AM.
J-Bone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2014, 10:41 AM   #45 (permalink)

Member # 7233
Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Bone View Post
This is FUCKING BAD ADVICE. CA does not honor (reciprocity) any other State-issued CCW.

Reciprocity with Other States

First State AG website that turned up.

Carry it unloaded in a locked case on your bike.
Crap, you are right. I had that map up because I was checking where a CA ccw would be valid. It does not work the other way around.
Old 01-03-2014, 10:45 AM   #46 (permalink)

Member # 1956
With that many miles and loaded bikes, keep an an eye on your tires. They will go quicker than you think.

When I lived in Cali, you could not possess any mag larger than 10 rounds also. They gun laws in Cali only apply to law abiding citizens though. I was at a range in Cali and that was brought to my attention by two HP officers that were shooting in the bay next to me. I think they were just giving us shit because my daughter made them look bad. She LOUDLY asked me why they shot so badly!

Last edited by Shadow man; 01-03-2014 at 10:57 AM.
Shadow man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2014, 12:29 PM   #47 (permalink)

Member # 324337
Olympic pennisula

Not sure if you're planning on hitting the peninsula or not. There are a few good places to camp and lots of great scenic roads. I'll start at the Oregon coast and head north around the top. Bogachiel state park is a good one its first come first serve.

This is the National park site for the area I would think about the HOH or maybe a night at Klaloch. Klaloch is very popular and literally on the beach I wouldn't do more than one night there just cause of the time of year and number of people that will be there. But its beautiful. There are some tribal lands like the Quinalt reservation that I heard has some stuff but I can't find much on the web for it. They have all sorts of their own rules I haven't figured out yet.

Moving along towards Sequim and Seattle there is Salt creek its just west of Port Angeles on Rt112 and the site of historic camp hayden again very pretty overlooking the strait of Juan De Fuca.

Also in this area but in the national park so you would have entrance fee covered and just need to pay the overnight. There is Elwha campground Its on lower Elwha road in Port Angeles and is right on the river bank again beautiful and about 200 miles from Klaloch lodge. Lake Crescent is between and absolutely worth stopping and spending a few hours. The lodge at the lake there does lunch and dinner and has a great sun porch and little beach on the lake in the summer.

Near Port Townsend there is Fort Worden and also Fort Flaggler. They are a couple of cool 19th century forts and Army camps. Fort Worden has old officer quarters they rent out could be a high class night for you. Not much National Park on this stretch of the trip.

I don't have much for you beyond the Pennisula I haven't been stationed here long enough to get into the Cascades and points east. I will say lots of people take their bikes accross the straits on the ferry to Victoria from Port Angeles and then ride to Vancouver and back into the U.S. that way. Would be a great add-on. If you run into trouble in the Port Angels area don't hesitate to PM me.
tjsean0308 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2014, 12:40 PM   #48 (permalink)

Member # 7233
Another piece of advice that I was reminded of after seeing the town names posted above... Shortly after traveling through Port Angeles, ALL of our debit cards stopped working for some reason (3 accounts, 2 banks). We wound up having to do some wire transfers and pull cash out at a local bank for the balance of the trip. May not be an issue for you, but it happened to us.
Old 01-03-2014, 01:20 PM   #49 (permalink)

Member # 10867
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattafact View Post

No, because I will still technically be in the Army and subject to certain specific orders; one of which is that no Soldier stationed at Ft Bliss is permitted to enter into any Mexican border state.
Old 01-03-2014, 01:32 PM   #50 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 125937
I'll second that Hearst Castle is pretty amazing. I normally wouldn't be interested in something like that but I am glad I went. Absolutely amazing place.

We did the general tour but there are about 5-6 different ones I think.

I will return someday to hit the other tours that we didn't do.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.