Oak Island on History Channel - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > General Chit-Chat
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2014, 08:20 PM   #1 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 57779
Oak Island on History Channel

Do they find anything in the end? Or just a "we think something is down there bla bla bla

I've always been interested in this and have read about it now and then when someone tried to get down there but these guys seem to be very well funded besides the HC show. I think they might have the best chance yet to take this to the next level.
nahmus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 08:28 PM   #2 (permalink)
The Devils Trailboss

Member # 51571
It's got its typical "reality" show stuff but I'll watch it anyway. I first heard of this in the 70s as a kid on an episode of In Search Of.... Peaked my curiosity way back when and Leonard Nemoy used to freak me out on that show.

93 W250 CTD 5spd

97 TJ 60/14 Atlas 40" Maxxis 106" WB

www.polyperformance.com

Last edited by UCTJ; 01-05-2014 at 08:31 PM.
UCTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 08:30 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 41063
It's another "Gold Rush" show where nothing is ever conclusive, nothing "real" is ever found and the shows are full of useless filler and staged moments of tension like the previews for the 2ND episode where it seems a cut tree is falling on someone. Shows like this are just insulting to your intelligence. I love how the footage of the camera at the bottom of 10x was somehow not available to show the old man that dug the hole and yet it was available for them to use in the editing room when they were running the camera in the hole on the show. Idiocy.

As for the mystery itself, I've read about it in different places over the years and was always curious about it. It would be nice to get to the bottom of it, pun intended, but I doubt it will ever happen on anything related to the "Fictional History" Channel.
Old 01-05-2014, 08:32 PM   #4 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 57779
Quote:
Originally Posted by UCTJ View Post
It's got its typical "reality" show stuff but I'll watch it anyway. I first heard of this in the 70s as a kid on an episode of In Search Of.... Peaked my curiosity way back when and Leonard Nemoy used to freak me out on that sho
Same for me. Loved In search Of.

I'm watching the repeat of the first episode. I liked the fact that they put a camera down 10x and there is at least SOMETHING down there. Regardless of whether there is a treasure or not I would love to see if there are booby traps and the engineering behind them.
Old 01-05-2014, 08:33 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 16744
Send a message via AIM to Cobra5.0Jeep Send a message via Yahoo to Cobra5.0Jeep
I could have wrote this show. I knew their camera would screw up, their stupid vaccum thing of sucking out a manmade hole, of course your going to pull up metal, especially since it sounds like the original builder of the hole was welding the train car tanks together as he dug down.
Its almost a guarantee someone has dived in that cove before them and didn't find anything.
Where do they keep getting the really nice pictures of the stone with the writing on it that disappeared in 1919 too?
I'm not impressed with the show but i like the thought of something being down there.
Old 01-05-2014, 08:34 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 16744
Quote:
Originally Posted by nahmus View Post
Same for me. Loved In search Of.

I'm watching the repeat of the first episode. I liked the fact that they put a camera down 10x and there is at least SOMETHING down there. Regardless of whether there is a treasure or not I would love to see if there are booby traps and the engineering behind them.
I think that "something" they see is a bunch of trash someone dumped down the hole.
Old 01-05-2014, 08:37 PM   #7 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 57779
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elwenil View Post
It's another "Gold Rush" show where nothing is ever conclusive, nothing "real" is ever found and the shows are full of useless filler and staged moments of tension like the previews for the 2ND episode where it seems a cut tree is falling on someone. Shows like this are just insulting to your intelligence. I love how the footage of the camera at the bottom of 10x was somehow not available to show the old man that dug the hole and yet it was available for them to use in the editing room when they were running the camera in the hole on the show. Idiocy.

As for the mystery itself, I've read about it in different places over the years and was always curious about it. It would be nice to get to the bottom of it, pun intended, but I doubt it will ever happen on anything related to the "Fictional History" Channel.
On one hand i agree with the history channel angle but these brothers bought the company that owns 80% of oak island (according to the narration) If you are willing to sink that amount of money into something you really want to get to the bottom of it. There is real money at stake. I think either the history channel latched onto something that was going to be done anyway or the brothers offered to sell history the rights to at least recoup the money they already laid out.

who knows. If it goes to crap like all the other reality shows I'm out.
Old 01-05-2014, 08:39 PM   #8 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 57779
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra5.0Jeep View Post
I think that "something" they see is a bunch of trash someone dumped down the hole.
I was thinking the same thing. 100 years of people trying to get down there.

I was also thinking that is there is something down there did all this blasting and drilling ruin it anyway?
Old 01-05-2014, 08:43 PM   #9 (permalink)
The Devils Trailboss

Member # 51571
Quote:

Exactly, all I have invested is one hour on a Sunday night before bedtime so either way I'm not out anything. Again it just reminds me of when I was a kid and there wasn't anything like this on tv, no computers, really any books that I knew of..sometimes just not knowing but always wondering is the cool part. Cant ever be right or wrong that way.

93 W250 CTD 5spd

97 TJ 60/14 Atlas 40" Maxxis 106" WB

www.polyperformance.com
UCTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 09:03 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 108445
I remember reading of this when I was a kid. I love the diagrams they're showing. There is no possible way flood tunnels were dug at the time they think this treasure was deposited.

Oh, they pumped dye into the hole and it appear around the island. Go figure. But their conclusion is there's more flood tunnels. eyeroll.

Last edited by rocket flier; 01-05-2014 at 09:03 PM.
rocket flier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 09:15 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 16744
Quote:
I was thinking the same thing. 100 years of people trying to get down there.

I was also thinking that is there is something down there did all this blasting and drilling ruin it anyway?
All the drilling i am sure ruined a lot of the stuff down there.
Old 01-05-2014, 09:34 PM   #12 (permalink)
Boats 'n' Does

Member # 24296
Anyone watch America Unearthed? It's gonna be like that. Stupid.

PM me for the best prices on tires, military, red labels, and bicycle.

For the best deal on 8 lug disc brakes click here--> www.lugnut4x4.com
toymoto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 09:45 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 16744
Quote:
Originally Posted by toymoto View Post
Anyone watch America Unearthed? It's gonna be like that. Stupid.
LOL where nothing is ever unearthed?
Old 01-05-2014, 09:55 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 30572
Quote:
On one hand i agree with the history channel angle but these brothers bought the company that owns 80% of oak island (according to the narration) If you are willing to sink that amount of money into something you really want to get to the bottom of it. There is real money at stake. I think either the history channel latched onto something that was going to be done anyway or the brothers offered to sell history the rights to at least recoup the money they already laid out.

If you look at the Wikipedia page people over the years have spent millions trying to get the bottom.

I was surprised how many times the island has been bought and sold. They have injected dye in the pit and it came out in 4/5 areas in the perimeter IIRC.

It is like hunting for snipes except you get to spend your entire life savings

Oak Island - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Chum731 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 10:18 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 377
The area has already been dug to the bedrock previously and no one has ever found shit. The point of hiding something is that it won't be found. You don't go through such elaborate practices to prevent someone from recovering what you've hid. Instead, you'd simply find a better place to hide it to begin with.
east_beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 10:21 PM   #16 (permalink)
G_P

Member # 139985
The whole show has already been filmed. If they found any treasure it would have been all over the news the day they found it.

So yeah, they will find nothing.
Old 01-06-2014, 01:35 AM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 157046
Quote:
Originally Posted by UCTJ View Post
It's got its typical "reality" show stuff but I'll watch it anyway. I first heard of this in the 70s as a kid on an episode of In Search Of.... Peaked my curiosity way back when and Leonard Nemoy used to freak me out on that show.
Piqued!!! someone already corrected my exact same mistake, so there!!
xmptsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 05:32 AM   #18 (permalink)
I Love Man Pole !!

Member # 126327
It used to be that if I was watching tv, it was history or discovery, with a little sportscenter. But since history has gone full retard with the reality shit, I can hardly stomach it. I wish Oak Island would pay out. It looked like they could sell scrap and make a small fortune.
wichita lineman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 05:40 AM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 187267
they have wayyyyyy to many reality shows on the tube lately ...

is it me, or did they run out of imagination =/
jfreakofkorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 05:47 AM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 277090
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfreakofkorn View Post
they have wayyyyyy to many reality shows on the tube lately ...

is it me, or did they run out of imagination =/
Ever since "Survivor" debuted.
Short change$$ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 08:27 PM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 30572
Tonight's episode brought a renewed interest in island

I wonder if they find anything
Chum731 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 09:00 PM   #22 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 57779
It was kind of cool that the widow handed over the logs. It was eerie to see that last log entry
Old 01-26-2014, 10:06 PM   #23 (permalink)

Member # 41063
It's fucking retarded. I guess the actual money pit wasn't worth enough filming so they have had to go around finding more shit to waste air time on. I've read about the pit and the various holes dug around the area and I remember something about stones being found here and there, but what in the fuck is this retarded bullshit about a "vault" in the swamp? I don't recall any story about shit being in any swamp, much less the menorah from Solomon's temple. So instead of diving in the stupid hole with a camera and being done with it, we have these morons screwing off looking for rocks, bullshit from a swamp, idiots cutting trees, pumping water randomly around the place and diving around looking for "coconut fiber". I just love how excited they get about coconut fiber being on the island and they even state that it was used in shipping but instead of drawing the logical conclusion of debris from a shipwreck, they leap to the idea that this has something to do with flood tunnels. Tunnels that would be difficult to dig with today's technology and would have certainly collapsed even if they did exist. But no, this fiber couldn't possibly have been used on a ship that sank and ashed ashore, something I would immediately think of considering it was found on the beach and it was used in shipping. Duh. The simplest answer is usually the right one, but in this case it would make for a very short show and very little income. Morons.
Old 01-26-2014, 10:12 PM   #24 (permalink)

Member # 53453
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elwenil View Post
It's fucking retarded. I guess the actual money pit wasn't worth enough filming so they have had to go around finding more shit to waste air time on. I've read about the pit and the various holes dug around the area and I remember something about stones being found here and there, but what in the fuck is this retarded bullshit about a "vault" in the swamp? I don't recall any story about shit being in any swamp, much less the menorah from Solomon's temple. So instead of diving in the stupid hole with a camera and being done with it, we have these morons screwing off looking for rocks, bullshit from a swamp, idiots cutting trees, pumping water randomly around the place and diving around looking for "coconut fiber". I just love how excited they get about coconut fiber being on the island and they even state that it was used in shipping but instead of drawing the logical conclusion of debris from a shipwreck, they leap to the idea that this has something to do with flood tunnels. Tunnels that would be difficult to dig with today's technology and would have certainly collapsed even if they did exist. But no, this fiber couldn't possibly have been used on a ship that sank and ashed ashore, something I would immediately think of considering it was found on the beach and it was used in shipping. Duh. The simplest answer is usually the right one, but in this case it would make for a very short show and very little income. Morons.
So, uh, will you be watching the rest of the season or not?

If so, I look forwards to your continued critique.
Old 01-26-2014, 10:33 PM   #25 (permalink)

Member # 41063
Yup, as much as I hate to say it, I probably will. Goddammit.