Quadcopter large enough to hold a GoPro... - Page 34 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > General Chit-Chat
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2015, 06:30 PM   #826 (permalink)
Window Licker

Member # 34948
Finally got the last piece for my FPV setup - the damn video out cable for my Mobius.

Here it is:

Mobius gimbal w/ Tarot controller
ImmersionRC video TX
RC732 Video RX/Monitor/DVR

I also ordered a Video switch and I'll pick up a cheap CMOS for a fixed mount. (I've heard mixed reviews on flying FPV with a gimbal. The switch will let me switch between gimbal and fixed cams.)

Hopefully I'll be able to take it for a spin tomorrow afternoon.
Attached Images

Last edited by bgaidan; 02-19-2015 at 06:30 PM.
bgaidan is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2015, 08:05 PM   #827 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 47464
Where did you find a video out cable for the GoPro?
Old 02-20-2015, 08:34 AM   #828 (permalink)
Well Done Man!

Member # 398
Send a message via ICQ to welndmn Send a message via AIM to welndmn Send a message via Yahoo to welndmn
I need help!
I have a phantom 2 and the cheap ebay gimbal and I find a how to install it article.
The ones I can find all talk about a phantom 1, but I was hoping to use the gimbal controller on the back of my transmitter.
welndmn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2015, 08:39 AM   #829 (permalink)

Member # 24091
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonsYJjeep View Post
I ended up making my own using this tutorial: DIY GoPro3 video out cable | RCExplorer
Old 02-20-2015, 09:33 AM   #830 (permalink)

Member # 86724
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgaidan View Post
Finally got the last piece for my FPV setup - the damn video out cable for my Mobius.

Here it is:

Mobius gimbal w/ Tarot controller
ImmersionRC video TX
RC732 Video RX/Monitor/DVR

I also ordered a Video switch and I'll pick up a cheap CMOS for a fixed mount. (I've heard mixed reviews on flying FPV with a gimbal. The switch will let me switch between gimbal and fixed cams.)

Hopefully I'll be able to take it for a spin tomorrow afternoon.
How's that mobius work out?
They are substantially cheaper than go pro.

My plan for a gimbal is to do a pmix in the radio to do a couple of things on a switch.

first will be to enable the gyro, I'll have it set way high so it will maintain level flight.
second, to take channels 1-2 and move them to channels 7-8, so that I can use my right stick to move the gimbal.

When I flip the switch back the servos will automatically recenter back to straight forward.

I'll still have the ability to move the gimbal while flying using channels 7-8, but knobs really aren't that good for it.

I planned on just using a USB AV adapter and my laptop for a second viewing station/dvr.
Old 02-20-2015, 03:28 PM   #831 (permalink)
Window Licker

Member # 34948
Quote:
Banggood has several

So does Hobby king and ebay. There are different configurations depending on what you're trying to do - ie: power the camera from your vid tx, add audio, etc.

I have several of them because I didn't know the mini usb plug on a gopro is proprietary and the cable for them does not work on the mobius. I had to order a cable specifically for the mobius from hobbyking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87manche View Post
How's that mobius work out?
They are substantially cheaper than go pro.

My plan for a gimbal is to do a pmix in the radio to do a couple of things on a switch.

first will be to enable the gyro, I'll have it set way high so it will maintain level flight.
second, to take channels 1-2 and move them to channels 7-8, so that I can use my right stick to move the gimbal.

When I flip the switch back the servos will automatically recenter back to straight forward.

I'll still have the ability to move the gimbal while flying using channels 7-8, but knobs really aren't that good for it.

I planned on just using a USB AV adapter and my laptop for a second viewing station/dvr.
I really like the mobius and for the money I wouldn't spring for a gopro (although I already have a 3 black). I think the gopro quality is a tad better in some situations, but I'm more than happy with the results I get from the mobius. I'll post some vids once I get a good flight in.

I'm still using my 9x with an 8ch rx - I use the two pots on top to control roll and tilt on the gimbal. I have one spare channel open for a toggle switch that I'll use to control the video switch when I get it setup.

Since I switched primarily to APM with the NOVA, I only need one aux. channel for my mode selection. I replaced the 3rd pot on my 9x with a 6 position switch (used 4 variable micro pots to preset each of the 6 postions) so I now have a single channel that can switch between 6 different flight modes.

Eventually I want to upgrade to a Taranis...I really like the slider pots they have on the side...you can control roll/tilt on the gimbal with your fingers without taking your thumbs off the sticks.
Old 02-20-2015, 03:41 PM   #832 (permalink)
For Kayla

Member # 12343
Send a message via AIM to JParuBob Send a message via MSN to JParuBob Send a message via Yahoo to JParuBob Send a message via Skype™ to JParuBob
Hobbyking has a cheap gopro clone

Quote:
Butt secks isn't for everyone........but it is for me!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
JParuBob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2015, 12:47 PM   #833 (permalink)

Member # 43110
I have a GoPro cable I wont use, and would swap for a Mobius cable if someone has one. my cable came with Heli-Star 200mw Super Mini Wireless 32-Channel 5.8GHz Transmitter (UPDATED!!!) [HLS-0119] | RC Multirotor - AMain.com - AMain.com

I got my 200qx going last weekend. The spectrum micro VTX camera sucks for range, and picture at low altitudes. I liked it on my UM Radian though. Ill be mounting it in the body on that soon.

My 200QX had a rx range issue Average 65 yards and fall out of sky kinda suck,, and I ended up swapping out the antenna for a proper length one and it works great now. Added a 200mW vTX and FS 600 camera. Had it out to 600 yards in a clear field. So most of my FPV tree dodging will be great at around 300.

Im interested in getting some better goggles now. My teleporter 4s are OK, but Id like something better. Anyone have experience with the Pred, Dom and Attitude first hand? What was the best bang for the buck?
Old 02-25-2015, 09:15 PM   #834 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 47464
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlBlueCJ7 View Post
I ended up making my own using this tutorial: DIY GoPro3 video out cable | RCExplorer
My soldering days are done. I used to be an expert soldering tech. Now my eyes can't see that close anymore. Two weeks ago I was trying to solder a micro power switch on my daughters. Lets just say she ended up getting a new phone. I can't see that close anymore. Plus I'm lazy when if it only costs about $10 bucks, its not worth the time or effort.
Old 02-26-2015, 11:19 AM   #835 (permalink)

Member # 86724
Quote:
Since I switched primarily to APM with the NOVA, I only need one aux. channel for my mode selection. I replaced the 3rd pot on my 9x with a 6 position switch (used 4 variable micro pots to preset each of the 6 postions) so I now have a single channel that can switch between 6 different flight modes.
APM is going to be my flight contrller as well. Going to do PPM directly into it to simplify my cabling (so I can locate my receiver away from al the other shit) and put it's mode selection on a 3 way, with another switch for "Oh shit return to home" mode.

Then I was going to set my receiver failsafe up to trip the oh shit return to home mode.

Are you using the HK clone?

Last edited by 87manche; 02-26-2015 at 11:20 AM.
87manche is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2015, 11:30 AM   #836 (permalink)

Member # 108445
Quote:
My soldering days are done. I used to be an expert soldering tech. Now my eyes can't see that close anymore. Two weeks ago I was trying to solder a micro power switch on my daughters. Lets just say she ended up getting a new phone. I can't see that close anymore. Plus I'm lazy when if it only costs about $10 bucks, its not worth the time or effort.
rocket flier is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2015, 06:59 PM   #837 (permalink)
Window Licker

Member # 34948
Quote:
APM is going to be my flight contrller as well. Going to do PPM directly into it to simplify my cabling (so I can locate my receiver away from al the other shit) and put it's mode selection on a 3 way, with another switch for "Oh shit return to home" mode.

Then I was going to set my receiver failsafe up to trip the oh shit return to home mode.

Are you using the HK clone?
It's whatever came in the Nova/CX-20. I'm assuming it's a clone. We actually figured out what board it was at one point, but I can't remember at the moment.

I'd like to use PPM....gotta find out if anyone figured out the if it was enabled on this board yet. They already figured out how to add telemetry to it, which wasn't wired out of the box.

I'm using FrSky gear with my 9x TX and have failsafe set as RTL. Definitely a lifesaver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocket flier View Post
$3 at Harbor Freight!

Last edited by bgaidan; 02-26-2015 at 06:59 PM.
bgaidan is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2015, 08:09 PM   #838 (permalink)

Member # 1956
Quote:
rejoice motherfuckers!

Press Release €“ DOT and FAA Propose New Rules for Small Unmanned Aircraft Systems

it's not nearly as bad as it could have been.
in fact it seems to put them firmly into the category of just RC aircraft as long as you fly LOS.

I'm ordering my FPV shit today.
hopefully I can figure out a way to make some money on this shit.
Listening to the radio at KOH, it sounds like some drone operators ARE going to have their toys shot down next time. So, I'm wondering about the legality of operating one at KOH, on the course.

Last edited by Shadow man; 02-26-2015 at 08:12 PM.
Shadow man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2015, 04:30 PM   #839 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 47464
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocket flier View Post
Just bought one today

ok so Im trying to make my video out cable. I took a GoPro Mini USB and cut off the end but there is no damn yellow wire for video out. So how do do I do this? Or do I need a different cable?

Old 02-28-2015, 04:36 PM   #840 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 89153
GoPro Hero3 Black Edition – DIY Live Video Out Cable | Alex RC Flight Blog
Green Truck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2015, 05:03 PM   #841 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 47464
ok I went to radio shack looking for a blank mini usb end and they had nothing. So I'm stuck with this unless I order one from online.
Old 02-28-2015, 05:15 PM   #842 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 89153
Quote:
ok I went to radio shack looking for a blank mini usb end and they had nothing. So I'm stuck with this unless I order one from online.
Nothing wrong with your cable. I was just trying to show a diagram for the pin outs. Plenty of diy cables on Google.
Green Truck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2015, 05:33 PM   #843 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 47464
ok I think I found something.
Old 02-28-2015, 07:23 PM   #844 (permalink)
Window Licker

Member # 34948
Why didn't you just order the $2 FPV cable? They have a nice low profile mini usb plug and pin sockets on the other ends to hook right up to your gear.
Old 02-28-2015, 11:06 PM   #845 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 47464
Quote:
Why didn't you just order the $2 FPV cable? They have a nice low profile mini usb plug and pin sockets on the other ends to hook right up to your gear.
I hate waiting for stuff..LOL. I made a cable tonight but for some reason I don't think it's transmitting video. Do you have to change a setting on a GoPro 3+ to have it transmit video??
Old 03-01-2015, 05:46 AM   #846 (permalink)
Window Licker

Member # 34948
I only have a 3 black, but I just plug it in and it works.

PM your address. I have at least 5 of these cables that I somehow ordered trying to get one to work for my Mobius. I barely use the gorpro for flying any more. I don't need 5 video cables!
Old 03-01-2015, 07:18 AM   #847 (permalink)

Member # 24091
Quote:
I hate waiting for stuff..LOL. I made a cable tonight but for some reason I don't think it's transmitting video. Do you have to change a setting on a GoPro 3+ to have it transmit video??
Yeah - the USB connector needs a resistor soldered from one of the pins to the body in order to trigger the GoPro to output video. See the link I posted earlier. You can't just solder in a USB end & have it work on the 3+.
Old 03-01-2015, 10:22 AM   #848 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 47464
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlBlueCJ7 View Post
Yeah - the USB connector needs a resistor soldered from one of the pins to the body in order to trigger the GoPro to output video. See the link I posted earlier. You can't just solder in a USB end & have it work on the 3+.
Yeh I saw the link. But I'm trying to figure out how to make that happen with the end link I have. I think I'm just going to order the cable and be done with it.
Old 03-02-2015, 08:10 PM   #849 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 47464
There are so many new quadcopters coming out that makes me want to steer away from another Phantom.

Thunder Tiger

IRIS+

So far those have caught my eye and a few others. I just can't find the links anymore. So I don't know what I want to get. Or even get one with how they are coming up with new laws.

Last edited by JonsYJjeep; 03-02-2015 at 08:10 PM.
JonsYJjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2015, 03:48 PM   #850 (permalink)
Window Licker

Member # 34948
I'm still loving my Nova/CX-20. I bought all the FPV gear and just added telemetry and OSD and I found the schematics to add the battery monitor, which I'll be doing before I button it back up. (If I can convince myself that I can solder to the processor pins.)

For a ~$320 RTF bird that runs APM out of the box, it really can't be beat.

I think with my gimbal, mobius, video gear, etc., I maybe have $700 in to it...and that's fully loaded with every feature I could want.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.