Going rate for 30x40 unfinished stick built shop - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > General Chit-Chat
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2003, 09:34 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 17130
Going rate for 30x40 unfinished stick built shop

I'll be adding enough money into my home loan to build a new, stick built 30x40 shop (or 25x40, somewhere around there). I just need the concrete slab poored and the structure built. I'm going to do the wiring, heating and insulation myself.

Just wondering what the going rate for you folks is per square foot on something like this. The guy I'm buying my house from figures I should be able to get it for around $12-15 per sq. ft.

Thanks,
Jordan
jstandle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2003, 09:56 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 4321
Send a message via ICQ to DEnd Send a message via AIM to DEnd Send a message via MSN to DEnd Send a message via Yahoo to DEnd
That sounds about right, at least for my area. And check the codes to see if your county will allow you to do wiring and plumbing on your property without a license. I would put a very small bathroom in there with a shower. Put down some cheap tile on the floor of the bathroom and run one of those electric in floor heating grinds. In the shop have one of those Huge Utility sinks. And put outside hook-ups for a RV as well. With hot water and eletricity you could get a cheap dishwasher too to wash parts in. ohh and a oven/range to do some powder coating in and make coffee or what not on. and of course the shop refridgerator. and a bunk for when the wife gets pissed at you. Just a few small details that you might want to consider.
Old 12-09-2003, 10:06 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 1585
With the termites you have on your property, I would suggest a METAL building.
Old 12-09-2003, 10:16 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 17130
Wiring and stuff is no problem around here, as long as you're the owner and occupant.

I'll make sure to do the preventative maintanence for those little bastard termites. Likely on the shop I'll get a 2-3 ft concrete footing put around then build up from there. Same on the house. Also will be putting pesticide in the ground.

I would do metal, but they're more difficult to wire and insulate from what I was told.

Jordan
Old 12-09-2003, 10:17 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 144
6 in 1 half dozen in another I think. For shops I'd wire everything in conduit anyway. That's just me, but doing that it'd make absolutely no difference. FWIW after my experience here the next house I have I'll frame with steel studs.
Old 12-09-2003, 10:22 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 1585
Metal may be more costly in the beginning, but from what I've experienced, they hold thier value better.

Call some companies, they can give you some quotes over the phone. Figure out how big you want it, how many overheads, entry door, windows, insulation, skylights, etc. All those are extras.

If you call asking for a price on a 30x40, you will get a building with no doors
Old 12-09-2003, 10:30 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 17130
Quote:
Originally posted by Cowtowner
Metal may be more costly in the beginning, but from what I've experienced, they hold thier value better.

Call some companies, they can give you some quotes over the phone. Figure out how big you want it, how many overheads, entry door, windows, insulation, skylights, etc. All those are extras.

If you call asking for a price on a 30x40, you will get a building with no doors
Not worried about value, I plan to use this shop until I die.

I'll do like you say and call around and get quotes. I know of a guy that does good work on these, I'll find out what the going rate is and then go talk to him and see if it's competitive.

Thanks!
Jordan
Old 12-10-2003, 04:24 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 13276
Send a message via AIM to NastyNate
We had a pole barn in 30x40 built last year. Pretty much the same as stick built. We have about 15k in it so far. Its 30x40 with 16' ceilings, concrete floor, one entrance door, one 8x10 overhead, and one 10x12 overhead. 12' wide loft running the entire back wall. It was right around 12k for the buildind and floor. We wired it ourselves, which included running new power from the house (about 300') underground and 100 amp service. New workbenches, etc. It took them 5 days from start to finish with the building and floor. Most of the summer for us to finish wiring and getting it just how we want it.
Old 12-10-2003, 05:11 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 22183
Send a message via AIM to biggin

This is were I got my 30x40x10 foot eves for $6300. It came with 2 roll up doors 1 walk thru door and 2" isulation for the ceiling and walls. And this price included delivery to my site. The center is around 15 foot high with a 12/2 pitch on the roof. Me and my dad assembled it all by ourselves in about 2 weeks working in the evinings and weekends.http://homepage.steelbuilding.com/

Last edited by biggin; 12-10-2003 at 05:18 AM.
biggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2003, 06:41 AM   #10 (permalink)
pissnmetal

Member # 12035
Send a message via AIM to StudNuts
Lowes has complete garage kits. You can get a 26x30 for a shade under 5K. Comes with everything needed, block, morter, lumber,, truss', doors, windows, studs, shingles, etc. Everything but the concrete slab and the concrete for the foundation. They even deliver it all.
Old 12-10-2003, 07:01 AM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 18391
Send a message via AIM to jeep family
Got a price locally for mine 30x40x10 with one roll up door and one walk door for $4,800.00. Thats cheaper mainly because it is Mississippi. But that also met a 130mph wind load requirement.

1974 CJ6 - 4.3/465/205/44L/60L/5.38/37"/108"
1982 CJ8 - LT1/700R4/300/30L/44L/4.56/35"/105"
jeep family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2003, 07:23 AM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 4878
Send a message via ICQ to Travis Waldher Send a message via MSN to Travis Waldher Send a message via Yahoo to Travis Waldher
Quote:
Originally posted by mike
6 in 1 half dozen in another I think. For shops I'd wire everything in conduit anyway. That's just me, but doing that it'd make absolutely no difference. FWIW after my experience here the next house I have I'll frame with steel studs.
Plus, with steel.. lets say these words together folks...

overhead crane

Maybe not now, but thats something I am planning for in the future. Nothing huge.. but sure would be nice to build one to handle a few thousand pounds to aid in engine swaps (hey.. no engine hoist in teh way), moving things, etc.

My problem... is 30x40 really big enough. I'm thinking not.
Travis Waldher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2003, 07:32 AM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 17130
Quote:
Originally posted by jeep2.5

This is were I got my 30x40x10 foot eves for $6300. It came with 2 roll up doors 1 walk thru door and 2" isulation for the ceiling and walls. And this price included delivery to my site. The center is around 15 foot high with a 12/2 pitch on the roof. Me and my dad assembled it all by ourselves in about 2 weeks working in the evinings and weekends.http://homepage.steelbuilding.com/
\

Cool site! Whats with that mandatory bays? I built a 30x40 on their site and it makes me but in 2 bays? I don't want to break the shop down into sections..... or do I? I guess I never thought about it. I was thinking all open.

Jordan
Old 12-10-2003, 07:50 AM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 4878
Send a message via ICQ to Travis Waldher Send a message via MSN to Travis Waldher Send a message via Yahoo to Travis Waldher
Quote:
Originally posted by jstandle
\

Cool site! Whats with that mandatory bays? I built a 30x40 on their site and it makes me but in 2 bays? I don't want to break the shop down into sections..... or do I? I guess I never thought about it. I was thinking all open.

Jordan
I looked at that site too. I am betting it's all open, they just call them "bays" probably because of where support pillars have to be, etc.

can build a 48x60' shop with 16' eaves, 3 garage doors (14x12, 10x10, and 24x12), rated for 120mph, for about $15k delivered. Pretty cool.
Travis Waldher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2003, 07:56 AM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 9576
Jordan,

Advantage of sections is keeping things clean and orginized.

Plasma cutting, grinding, welding = dirty area.

Milling machine, lathe, general fabrication = clean area

Engine & transmission rebuild, detail painting = super clean area.
(i.e. the solvent room will have a work bench and filtered air)

Solvents, paints, etc.... small "room" (I'm planning about 6' x 10' or so) with an exterior - explosion proof - fan).

Air compressor will be mounted outide the back in it's own enclosure. Limits the noise in the shop.

Heating/cooling requirements?

I have the 30' x 50' slab down. Ahem, slab from hell (#5 rebar, 6" min thickness), Footers for a two story loads. Overkill for most needs.

Tom
Old 12-10-2003, 08:36 AM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 17130
Quote:
Originally posted by roundrocktom
Jordan,

Advantage of sections is keeping things clean and orginized.

Plasma cutting, grinding, welding = dirty area.

Milling machine, lathe, general fabrication = clean area

Engine & transmission rebuild, detail painting = super clean area.
(i.e. the solvent room will have a work bench and filtered air)

Solvents, paints, etc.... small "room" (I'm planning about 6' x 10' or so) with an exterior - explosion proof - fan).

Air compressor will be mounted outide the back in it's own enclosure. Limits the noise in the shop.

Heating/cooling requirements?

I have the 30' x 50' slab down. Ahem, slab from hell (#5 rebar, 6" min thickness), Footers for a two story loads. Overkill for most needs.

Tom
My biggest concern with the bays is what we'll be using the shop for. We've got semi-tractors and lowboy trailers that we work on from time to time, not sure if we could do that very well with the bays. BUT I do like your ideas. I think it would be easy to heat it with it all open though, use just one large wood stove or gas heater. How would one heat multiple bays cheaply?

Jordan
Old 12-10-2003, 08:43 AM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 2071
Send a message via AIM to tsm1mt
I don't have a price to share, but I can speak to a half-metal building and wiring n' such..

Bought a house and some land in April that came with an unfinished shop.

34x28. one 8x16 and one 9x9 door.

4 section slab. 2x6 studs, with DeltaRib steel siding and roofing.

One man door. 10' walls, 2 windows.

That's it.

No insulation, no wiring.. just a shell.

I had 3" of Corbond spray-on insulation applied to the inside of the steel siding for ~$1500. R-21, no vapor barriers, and it's polyurethane.

It'll be $600-$700 to blow in R-50 in the attic, after I finish the interior.

I spent two weeks cleaning and painting the floor.

I've spent off and on the whole summer digging a trench from the house to the shop (30'-ish feet, and I used a trencher where I could) for power and gas, and then wiring the inside.

I still have some wiring to do (mostly the 220 drops, and all of the lighting drops).

Just bought $500 in drywall.. hoping to have a drywall party in January to hang 'rock.

Just takin' a long time to get all of that "easy" stuff out of the way and get back to wrenching.
Old 12-10-2003, 08:49 AM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 943
My brother has a 36x36 shop mine is only 24x30 (was here when I bought the place) mine isnt big enough his is the minimum I would get. My dad is getting ready to build a 30x60 :drool.

I would think for heating put a seperation wall in the center with double doors so you can still move stuff between and put in a wood stove both sides if you have them available.
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2003, 09:18 AM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 635
I am planning on building mine here shortly as well. Since you're open for suggestion, look here: http://www.miracletruss.com they have a smokin deal on a 25 X 40 building right now, half price!! And the beauty of their system is that it is all open floor space. Easily assembled and insulated by YOU! I like the bracket system they use that allows you to use standard dimensional lumber and standard bat insulation. It's the one I'm going for, as soon as I get my slab down.

I am going to have a covered semi enclosed outside area for a bead blast cabinet and parts washer as well. Compressor will be out there too. Not to mention a 9 X 13 room inside the will be finished and closed off from the shop area. Gotta have room for the lift too.
Kendo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2003, 11:32 AM   #20 (permalink)
DRM
Super Moderator

Member # 8
Of all the metal structure ones - MIracle truss was tops in my book.

Happen to have the quotes for the shop I had built in November 2001

Post frame style building 30x40, 11'6" to bottom of trusses
Built on 14 4x6 treated posts
5 30' trusses 2x8 cords 3/12 pitch
2x6 wall stringers, 3' on center
2x4 roof purlins 20" on center
covered w/ 20 ga. painted roof,siding & trim
framed for one 10x10 door, one 9x7 door - no doors supplied
one std. walk-in door
3" vinyl back insulation in roof

Build price = $7560

Formed & finished 30x40 concrete slab, 5" thick using 3000 mix concrete w/ fiber.
22 tons of gravel to level pad

Slab price: $3548

I had another place supply some SWEET overhead doors, FULL core insulated, (This installed price was less than Lowe's could even get them for without installation).

Installed doors = $1100

Then I did all my own wiring, lights, built a SMALL office and bathroom in one corner - probably an additional $1200 in that - give or take...

Want pics of the shop too?
>"A little nonsense now and then is cherished by the wisest men."
DRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2003, 12:05 PM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 22498
Send a message via AIM to WertyzMom Send a message via Yahoo to WertyzMom
Quote:
Originally posted by DRM

Want pics of the shop too?

How about the rest of the ATTIC PICS FIRST !!

Quote:
Originally posted by DRM
Of all the metal structure ones - MIracle truss was tops in my book.
That is the 'Dream Shop'! ....No posts in the middle.... High ceilings...Yep that's the one!!

Old 12-11-2003, 01:14 AM   #22 (permalink)

Member # 17793
Man...you guys are lucky to be warm.

In AK, a 60x36 garage runs 100k if a general contractor builds it.

60k if you most of it yourself.

An insulated 36x24 2 door garge with deck runs $36k, doing most of the work yourself.

But hey, we have a lot less communists than you guys.

My next DIY project [url]http://www.interestingprojects.com/cruisemissile/[/url]
Broken Yoke - [URL="http://www.brokenyoke.com"]http://www.brokenyoke.com[/URL]
Makeshift - [URL="http://www.makeshiftak.com"]http://www.makeshiftak.com[/URL]
Logjam-grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2003, 03:31 AM   #23 (permalink)

Member # 22183
Send a message via AIM to biggin
Quote:
Originally posted by Travis Waldher

I looked at that site too. I am betting it's all open, they just call them "bays" probably because of where support pillars have to be, etc.

can build a 48x60' shop with 16' eaves, 3 garage doors (14x12, 10x10, and 24x12), rated for 120mph, for about $15k delivered. Pretty cool.
The thing is all open inside. I can get pics if any one is interested in what it looks like. Maybe start a thread of what your shop looks like sorta thing.
biggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2003, 06:19 AM   #24 (permalink)
DRM
Super Moderator

Member # 8
Pics of mine when it was first built:

And the SMALL office and bathroom I built in the front corner (enough room for a desk, chair & filing cabinet, plus bathroom)

>"A little nonsense now and then is cherished by the wisest men."
DRM is offline   Reply With Quote