How deep is a sewer line? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > General Chit-Chat
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2004, 11:18 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 19981
How deep is a sewer line?

I have a friend that is going to redo the sewer pipe from the house to the main sewer line, as soon as we find it.
Does anyone know how deep a pipe is typically buried? We have been digging trenches all over the front yard and we cannot find it. We started where he thought it would be, he has a 15í long, 6-8í deep trench now and no pipe.
We have the blueprints from the city; it shows where the pipe is supposed to come in from the street. So we started there, now we have a new 6x6 trench w/ no pipe. Since itís doesnít freeze here I donít think it has to be as deep as it does in other parts of the country. Any advice from the all-knowing Pirate board? Does anyone have experience?
This project has been going on way to long now; the neighbors are starting to get hostile.

for advice.
Old 02-09-2004, 11:21 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 13276
Send a message via AIM to NastyNate
Can you get under the house to see where it exits? That should give you an idea. If not, find the nearest manhole and remove the lid. See how deep the inverts are coming and going. Your service line shouldn't be but about 1' higher close to the main line, then tapering up to the house. Typically around 3'-5' deep, unless the sewer main is really deep.
Old 02-09-2004, 11:21 AM   #3 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 19330
Send a message via AIM to dan58
Your best bet is to trace the line from inside the house. The pipe will be about 4" coming from the house. If it's an old house, look for cast iron. New ones will be white PVC. Laterals can also be found by looking for the cleanout. It should be a metal or PVC pipe, laying either flat on the ground or sticking up slightly (6") to avoid lawnmower incidents.
dan58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2004, 11:24 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 5381
Typlically sewer laterals (the line from the house to the main on the street) are relatively shallow, 6 feet or so from the surface. But there really is no set rule, they may have had to lay them very low to avoid other things underground (storm drains, power, water, etc) or they could be very deep in order to maintain the slope needed for adequate flow velocity.

You know where the alignment is from the plans you gut, just keep going deeper, you'll find it. Be careful though, the 4 or 6 inch clay pipe they are made of isn't the toughest stuff, don't wanna break it. EEWWW
RockHammered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2004, 11:24 AM   #5 (permalink)
Hillbilly Houndsman

Member # 13420
Not how deep, it's slope.

You are recommended to have a minimum of 2% slope throughout a 4-inch line.

If you cannot maintain slope, make sure you have a positive slope throughout the length.

You should have a minimum of 18-inches of cover. I usually specify 24-inches.

www.MountaineerOffroad.com
SilverZuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2004, 11:27 AM   #6 (permalink)
Hillbilly Houndsman

Member # 13420
Most sewer laterals are hand dug, or done with a small trencher. They are seldom over 30-inches deep.

I require a minimum of 42-inches of cover over municipal sewer lines. This is mostly to protect it from freezing. Frost depth in our state is either 36 or 42-inches depending upon location. Sewers seldom freeze (Iíve never heard of one around here) because the waste going into them is usually around 60-degrees, and moving/mixing constantly.

www.MountaineerOffroad.com
SilverZuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2004, 11:36 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 943
Depending on where you intercept it at the depth could really vary. I use to do underground concrete work (dont ask) and they can tie into the main line at any where from 4' to 15' in depth. I helped my Father dig down to put a tie in for his motor home and at the edge of the road he was about 6' to 7' deep.

Closer to the house you dig the shallower it will be so you exploration ditches dont have to be so deep.
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2004, 11:42 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 19981
Thanks guys. We took the man hole cover off, I say it was 10-12í deep, my pal says 8-10í.
I guess Iíll see if they have a crawl space or some kind of access under the house. That and just keep digging by the street.

for all.
Old 02-09-2004, 11:48 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 943
Find the main outlet under the house and the direction it goes. Quite often they dont end up where the plans say. Dont dig by the street that will be the deepest part, dig by the house until you find it.
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote