Daily driver thread #4838392 - Page 7 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > General Chit-Chat
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2017, 10:07 PM   #151 (permalink)

Member # 192237
Quote:
Originally Posted by YotaAtieToo View Post
For example, is something like this total junk?

https://www.parleysdieselperformance...ta-golf-beetle

I kinda understand how it could be, kinda like the edge and superchips for most pickups. There are cheaper, better alternatives.
computer sends 0-5v to the IP quantity adjuster for the amount of fuel to put in
computer sends PWM to the IP cold start valve to adjust injection timing, referencing the wires coming from the #3 injector's piezo sensor

box takes those wires and slaps a couple resistors from 12v or ground to put more juice through one or both coils
at best has some transistors in it to amplify the signals rather than just putting a flat amount of extra electric through those two, no feedback and will probably just set limp mode causing codes in the computer

don't waste your money, these guys have a location in berkeley, which to my eyes is northern CA
https://malonetuning.com/ecu-tuning/...gen/tdi/ve-tdi
$150, which actually changes the maps in the computer, or you can send your ECU off to them out of state to have it done to save on the sales tax
If you were closer I'd fuck around with your maps for free, just cause I got the chinese cable and some understanding of the shit.

alternatively, you can read up on m-tdi, which is a mechanically governed injection pump conversion, same VE pump as a 12V cummins.
[486] is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2017, 04:06 AM   #152 (permalink)
DMG

Member # 8145
Quote:
Radio worked fine this morning

Is there anything I should do to boost mileage or power? Free flowing exhaust and intake? Or is just a waste of money?
Buy some triple square sockets. Start looking for window regulators, a core support, a 5 speed from a similar TDI, a glow plug harness, glow plugs, and really anything you touch inside the car.

The auto trans cars have bigger plungers in the pump so they are good to swap a 5 speed in. I did one a couple of years ago. Get a 5 speed from a TDI car or the gearing will be too low for the lower revving diesel. You need axles, trans mounts and a few other things to do the swap.

Last edited by DMG; 03-09-2017 at 04:09 AM.
DMG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2017, 04:55 AM   #153 (permalink)

Member # 25632
Quote:
Originally Posted by [486] View Post
computer sends 0-5v to the IP quantity adjuster for the amount of fuel to put in
computer sends PWM to the IP cold start valve to adjust injection timing, referencing the wires coming from the #3 injector's piezo sensor

box takes those wires and slaps a couple resistors from 12v or ground to put more juice through one or both coils
at best has some transistors in it to amplify the signals rather than just putting a flat amount of extra electric through those two, no feedback and will probably just set limp mode causing codes in the computer

don't waste your money, these guys have a location in berkeley, which to my eyes is northern CA
https://malonetuning.com/ecu-tuning/...gen/tdi/ve-tdi
$150, which actually changes the maps in the computer, or you can send your ECU off to them out of state to have it done to save on the sales tax
If you were closer I'd fuck around with your maps for free, just cause I got the chinese cable and some understanding of the shit.

alternatively, you can read up on m-tdi, which is a mechanically governed injection pump conversion, same VE pump as a 12V cummins.
Sounds just like everything I read on putting an edge on a 7.3.

I saw that they had 2 dealers in Berkeley definitely not going there anytime soon. Ill just leave it for now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMG View Post
Buy some triple square sockets. Start looking for window regulators, a core support, a 5 speed from a similar TDI, a glow plug harness, glow plugs, and really anything you touch inside the car.

The auto trans cars have bigger plungers in the pump so they are good to swap a 5 speed in. I did one a couple of years ago. Get a 5 speed from a TDI car or the gearing will be too low for the lower revving diesel. You need axles, trans mounts and a few other things to do the swap.
Thanks for all the info.
YotaAtieToo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2017, 05:24 AM   #154 (permalink)

Member # 729641
Quote:
Originally Posted by TireFryerSS View Post
I must have lost my touch at finding cheap vehicles...

All I want is a 4x4 truck to drive for 3 weeks, then it'll turn into a toy/wheeler/camping vehicle.

So far after several weeks of looking, Ive come up with a '99 Dodge 1500. Its an auction vehicle, it needs tires, some sort of paint, and a few other things. Its a grand.

An 80something K5. Im pretty sure it runs and drives. Has mismatched 37's and beat to piss interior. I think I can get it for a grand. Who knows what else it needs yet. I know these trucks inside and out, which is nice.

Everything else is either beat so bad it doesnt run and the fools are still asking 2k-4k, or if it does run, everything else is fucked and needs replacing and they still want too much $.
Be patient every idiot is tax return rich right now, prices are reflecting that.

But I would grab the k5 and unfuck it.
Cn'tafordit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2017, 06:53 AM   #155 (permalink)

Member # 74407
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cn'tafordit View Post
Be patient every idiot is tax return rich right now, prices are reflecting that.

But I would grab the k5 and unfuck it.
Well the K5 is fucked.

I started asking more questions and it went from "I just dont use it or have the $ to fix it up to where I want it", which is the typical excuse to "oh it needs a seal on the trans, a brake caliper is froze, and I havent started it in forever, so you'll have to tow it".

Normally these things would be cake to fix. But its 75mi away with no way for me to haul it home. If he has it in a few weeks, it'll come home with me.
Old 03-11-2017, 07:41 AM   #156 (permalink)

Member # 146689
What aboot 2000's Volvo's? I've always kinda liked them, am I a crazy person for considering one for a temp daily driver and back up car?
Old 03-11-2017, 07:49 AM   #157 (permalink)
DMG

Member # 8145
Quote:
Originally Posted by RusM View Post
What aboot 2000's Volvo's? I've always kinda liked them, am I a crazy person for considering one for a temp daily driver and back up car?
There are certain 2000s volvos that are pretty good and a bunch that will be very expensive to own. Also, they all require more maintenance than the average Camry or Accord so you are taking a chance there.
Old 03-14-2017, 08:47 AM   #158 (permalink)

Member # 25632
Quote:

So I'm thinking about picking up the "flashzilla" in order avoid sending my ecu in. My thought is that it may not pass smog with the tune on it, so it would be nice to be able to unload the tune.

The price of the tuner isn't bad at $170,but when you add in the $250 tune, it's kind of pricey.

They do rent them for $50 plus shipping, but that's really not that great once I use it more than once.

What do you think?
Old 03-14-2017, 09:10 AM   #159 (permalink)
DMG

Member # 8145
Quote:
So I'm thinking about picking up the "flashzilla" in order avoid sending my ecu in. My thought is that it may not pass smog with the tune on it, so it would be nice to be able to unload the tune.

The price of the tuner isn't bad at $170,but when you add in the $250 tune, it's kind of pricey.

They do rent them for $50 plus shipping, but that's really not that great once I use it more than once.

What do you think?
I think 486 can answer this one much better than I can.
Old 03-14-2017, 11:26 AM   #160 (permalink)

Member # 25632
Quote:
I think 486 can answer this one much better than I can.
I got you guys mixed up
Old 03-14-2017, 11:43 AM   #161 (permalink)

Member # 86724
Quote:

What do you think?
I don't think that's unreasonable.

just the tuning for the wife's car is going to cost me $500. Luckily the guy has written his own software to use the factory box for flashing and I already own that.

i'd probably ask them how it's going to present the emissions readiness shit and see if you're really going to need to unflash it.
If all they do is plug in the OBD widget and the ECU reports all is well they're not going to look any further.
Old 03-14-2017, 12:00 PM   #162 (permalink)

Member # 25632
I don't mean it's unreasonably priced, just that it's pricey for my needs. I'm used to the pricing for tuners and tunes for my 7.3, but I fully understand that there just isn't the market for the tdi's that there is for the 7.3s.
Old 03-14-2017, 12:01 PM   #163 (permalink)

Member # 86724
oh there is, it's just a market with more money.
Old 03-14-2017, 02:07 PM   #164 (permalink)

Member # 25632
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87manche View Post
oh there is, it's just a market with more money.
There is probably 25 7.3s for each tdi out there, plus I think more people are inclined to leave the tdi's alone vs the 7.3s. I could be way off, but I don't think there is near the market for modifing a tdi.
Old 03-14-2017, 06:39 PM   #165 (permalink)

Member # 192237
vw owners are just either rich kids spending parents' money, or cheap fucks who will spend months working on something to save a few bucks.

I know rocketchip used to offer "stealth tunes" that displayed all the stock stuff over the OBD, but dunno if they do any more.

My EGR readiness never sets with the EGR delete in the tune, so your DIY efforts may need a reflash every inspection, not a big deal, I've flashed mine 200 times or so trying to get everything going good for all the shit I've done to the car. Takes about 10 minutes all together and my laptop is SLOW to boot from all the lenovo bloatware.

I can't recommend learning how to DIY it more strongly, but if you're dead set on buying the loader thing, go ahead. Beware buying used tune "loader" dongles, IIRC kermatdi sold a bunch that would brick themselves for no reason other than to be one time use.

If you buy the chinese MPPS cable I'll run you through using it, it's fairly foolproof and I can do the webcam thing.
[486] is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2017, 10:00 PM   #166 (permalink)

Member # 25632
Quote:
Originally Posted by [486] View Post
vw owners are just either rich kids spending parents' money, or cheap fucks who will spend months working on something to save a few bucks.

I know rocketchip used to offer "stealth tunes" that displayed all the stock stuff over the OBD, but dunno if they do any more.

My EGR readiness never sets with the EGR delete in the tune, so your DIY efforts may need a reflash every inspection, not a big deal, I've flashed mine 200 times or so trying to get everything going good for all the shit I've done to the car. Takes about 10 minutes all together and my laptop is SLOW to boot from all the lenovo bloatware.

I can't recommend learning how to DIY it more strongly, but if you're dead set on buying the loader thing, go ahead. Beware buying used tune "loader" dongles, IIRC kermatdi sold a bunch that would brick themselves for no reason other than to be one time use.

If you buy the chinese MPPS cable I'll run you through using it, it's fairly foolproof and I can do the webcam thing.
Although I appreciate the offer, I really don't have the time or patience to learn how to program my own tunes.

Unless you are saying I could use the cable in place of the loader? Seems odd that you need a "tuner" to take the file from the computer to the ecu, not sure why it can't be done directly.

Yes, they do lock themselves to a certain ecu from what I have read.

I don't mind paying the $250 for the tune, or the $170 for the loader, but the price together is just too hard to justify. Heck I paid $150 for ts6 for my 7.3, which has 6 positions and can be sent out to add custom tunes to. I wish they made something similar for the vw.
Old 03-20-2017, 09:37 PM   #167 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 394482
Quote:
Originally Posted by MT4Runner View Post
Here's one that has a spinny thing putting out 400hp!
AllPro built it?

Had to watch my back at work for a while

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
flhtom1948 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2017, 08:00 AM   #168 (permalink)
Not a Wenzelite

Member # 44480
No, custom Jimmy's chassis.
LC Engineering engine.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
MT4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2017, 11:24 AM   #169 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 394482
Quote:
Originally Posted by MT4Runner View Post
No, custom Jimmy's chassis.
LC Engineering engine.
Thanks for reply! (Awesome rig, btw).

Had to watch my back at work for a while

flhtom1948 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.