Daily driver thread #4838392 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > General Chit-Chat
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2017, 08:20 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 25632
Daily driver thread #4838392

Just like everyone else, looking for a cheap dd to keep miles off the diesel. Budget is about $2k.

I've heard good things about 2000ish buicks with the 3.8, they can be had cheap, with low miles and supposedly get good mileage. Plenty of these in my area under my budget, I could pick up a nice low miles unit easy.

89+ 2wd toyota truck. I've had plenty of Toyotas, so I know the 22re or 2rz is good. I like the idea of a truck for random shit where I don't need the CCLB f350. The downside is that shit like my cooler will be exposed to thieves, a shell might be a good idea.

The 3rd, I can believe I'm saying this, but I found a 1st gen prius in my area for $1900, 165k miles, salvage title. I know nothing about these things except that everyone makes fun of them. I'm also a little weary of the batteries but I have heard that these things go 300K with no issues. The big fuel savings over the other two would be a plus as well.

Last edited by YotaAtieToo; 02-25-2017 at 08:46 AM.
YotaAtieToo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2017, 08:26 AM   #2 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 105362
Mid 90s Town Car, Grand Marquis, Crown Vic. Plentiful around here for cheap. Front the rear leather couches, trunk is as deep as the grand canyon. It's been my favorite, and actually cheapest, daily driver I've ever had.

60 mile round trip commute for me and my 96 Town Car gets me 24-25mpg in the summer, 19-20mpg in the winter.

Including purchase price and all necessary repairs, I'm in it for $2500. That includes all new brakes, front suspension, steering, and new tires. Been rock solid reliable for 40k miles now.
krugford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2017, 08:31 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 16722
What are your priorities for a DD? Fuel efficiency? Passenger room? Comfortable fit a long drive? Do you somehow relate you daily driver to your self image?
Old 02-25-2017, 08:34 AM   #4 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 138976
prius

up is difficult, down is dangerous
Provience is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2017, 08:38 AM   #5 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 66684
You could get into an early 2000 crown vic
"crusty jeep screws sheep #2017"
Old 02-25-2017, 08:50 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 25632
Quote:
Originally Posted by 61scout80 View Post
What are your priorities for a DD? Fuel efficiency? Passenger room? Comfortable fit a long drive? Do you somehow relate you daily driver to your self image?
Cheap to purchase and maintain, mileage isn't a huge concern but mine as well get the best I can.

Being comfortable would be nice as well, right now I'm doing about 60 miles a day, but it could change to traveling out of town also. Last year I did 1k miles a week for a chunk of the summer.

Obviously, why do you think I drive a diesel F350

Crown vic variant is a good suggestion, I wouldn't have thought they would do very good on fuel mileage but I guess it's probably all and how much you push the pedal
Old 02-25-2017, 09:03 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 1889
We were looking at selling my wife's Kia Spectra5, but for what it's worth vs. what use it sees, we're kind of at the "just keep it and see how long it goes" point. 30mpg, looks like bluebook is sub-2k, car has needed nothing but standard driveway-level maintenance in over 100k and 10+ years. It's kind of like what an '80's Toyota was in the early to mid 90's--nothing impressive, but does the job and doesn't cost you a lot in the process. But you won't be comfortable in one if you're 6'5" or 300+ pounds (also not unlike an 80's Toyota).
Scott@Rockstomper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2017, 09:20 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 55560
90s Camry.
Old 02-25-2017, 09:21 AM   #9 (permalink)
I'm Zach

Member # 22176
Prius

:tank:
Beat95YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2017, 09:26 AM   #10 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 174037
Prius
Old 02-25-2017, 09:46 AM   #11 (permalink)
DWT
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 19850
I have dd'd nothing but 2 wd toyota trucks for most of the last decade and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Find a wrecked 1 ton or motorhome/u haul truck and get the torsion bars and sway bars from it. Now toss some kyb monomax shocks and urethane bushings at it and you'll have a useful truck that will haul ass in the twisties. :d

Taiwanese Garbage should stay in Taiwan.
DWT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2017, 09:48 AM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 40417
old camry or corolla.

When the battery dies on the prius then you can spend 2k on a battery for your 2k car??

Oh and in before someone suggests an old volvol, audi, vw, or other assorted euro trash.
FlexyTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2017, 09:50 AM   #13 (permalink)
P.B.A.

Member # 172656
I've looked for a nice 22re 5speed Toyota extended cab to daily drive. But can't find them cheap. I'd even look into Nissan pickups.

Look for an early 2000's accord pretty big reliable 30 mpg.
RANGERROD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2017, 09:53 AM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 7412
1996 to 99 Honda accord or civic
Old 02-25-2017, 09:57 AM   #15 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 106663
Location: South Park . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,,_ . . . . . . . . ,-'`-, . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .\,, '``-.__.,.,./ .,., .\ . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .|,.-;`;` . . ,.,., .,.,.,`-, . . . . . . . . . . . ..,,,.,.,._ . .
I like having a small truck for a DD. Right now it's an 88 Ranger 4wd. I do live where almost anywhere I go I can and do explore dirt roads that Subarus would bash rocks on.
Old 02-25-2017, 10:06 AM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 130483
Quote:
Originally Posted by krugford View Post
Mid 90s Town Car, Grand Marquis, Crown Vic. Plentiful around here for cheap. Front the rear leather couches, trunk is as deep as the grand canyon. It's been my favorite, and actually cheapest, daily driver I've ever had.

60 mile round trip commute for me and my 96 Town Car gets me 24-25mpg in the summer, 19-20mpg in the winter.

Including purchase price and all necessary repairs, I'm in it for $2500. That includes all new brakes, front suspension, steering, and new tires. Been rock solid reliable for 40k miles now.
Another vote for a ford panther,shop around and you can get a early 2000s in your budget,full frame and f150 drive line
My 07 town car gets 24mpg at 80mph with the ac on
Slow down to 60 and 26-27mpg
Old 02-25-2017, 10:29 AM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 25632
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWT View Post
I have dd'd nothing but 2 wd toyota trucks for most of the last decade and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Find a wrecked 1 ton or motorhome/u haul truck and get the torsion bars and sway bars from it. Now toss some kyb monomax shocks and urethane bushings at it and you'll have a useful truck that will haul ass in the twisties. :d
I've always wanted a 3rd generation single cab, 22re 5spd for some reason. I'd I was stuck to a set commute 40 mins or less, I'd probably do it, or early tacoma. Once u have to take a 6 hour trip, I'm not so sure it's practical.

The other downsides are that they SUCK off road, much worse than a car, unless you load the bed down. Some of our jobs sites are kinda shitty. Also, when I'm down in Fresno or whatever, these things are theft magnets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlexyTJ View Post
old camry or corolla.

When the battery dies on the prius then you can spend 2k on a battery for your 2k car??

Oh and in before someone suggests an old volvol, audi, vw, or other assorted euro trash.
I drove the wheels off an 86 camry. Anything much newer than that is kinda pricey around here.

I think the batteries are closer to $5k, but I've also heard they last till about 300k(this is why I posted here, I don't know shit about them). If I get 140k miles out of a sub $2k car, I'll be more than happy scrapping it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RANGERROD View Post
I've looked for a nice 22re 5speed Toyota extended cab to daily drive. But can't find them cheap. I'd even look into Nissan pickups.

Look for an early 2000's accord pretty big reliable 30 mpg.
I hear you, Toyotas in norcal are $$$

I've actually heard of a lot of motor and trains issues with that generation of Hondas.
Old 02-25-2017, 10:32 AM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 25632
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunracer1 View Post
1996 to 99 Honda accord or civic
Either too expensive or been rice out around here. We actually had a 99 civic, good car, but I wouldn't really want another.
Old 02-25-2017, 10:35 AM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 629561
Quote:
Originally Posted by YotaAtieToo View Post
Just like everyone else, looking for a cheap dd to keep miles off the diesel. Budget is about $2k.

I've heard good things about 2000ish buicks with the 3.8, they can be had cheap, with low miles and supposedly get good mileage. Plenty of these in my area under my budget, I could pick up a nice low miles unit easy.

89+ 2wd toyota truck. I've had plenty of Toyotas, so I know the 22re or 2rz is good. I like the idea of a truck for random shit where I don't need the CCLB f350. The downside is that shit like my cooler will be exposed to thieves, a shell might be a good idea.

The 3rd, I can believe I'm saying this, but I found a 1st gen prius in my area for $1900, 165k miles, salvage title. I know nothing about these things except that everyone makes fun of them. I'm also a little weary of the batteries but I have heard that these things go 300K with no issues. The big fuel savings over the other two would be a plus as well.

My dad's prius is well into 300k miles already (2005) and it's only had to have struts and headlight work. The new problem is that if it's below freezing the dash is dark when he starts the car. It doesn't come on until the interior is hot and you shut it off and turn it back on. It also doesn't count the miles or show the mileage or battery status while it's dark.
Other than that, it's still running strong with about 350k (not sure exactly he drives 115 miles a day round trip to work) and no issues with the big battery as of yet.

It gets about 45mpg average and only takes like 15 bucks to fill from a quarter tank.
PbBleachguzzler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2017, 10:36 AM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 79509
92-94 Honda Accord coupe 4cyl 5spd

If you're from California, you're not a Yankee. You're not really anything.
Black Sheep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2017, 10:36 AM   #21 (permalink)
FoMoCo MoFo

Member # 79002
Location: My little kingdom of awesome. Near Olympia, Thurston county, Wa
Panther platform.

Quote:
I want everyone to have everything. I want gays to be able to fuck each other in the ass, in the middle of a field of weed while shooting pistols in the air like yosemite sam shouting that there is no god.
Totalled is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2017, 10:41 AM   #22 (permalink)
DWT
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 19850
Quote:
Originally Posted by YotaAtieToo View Post
I've always wanted a 3rd generation single cab, 22re 5spd for some reason. I'd I was stuck to a set commute 40 mins or less, I'd probably do it, or early tacoma. Once u have to take a 6 hour trip, I'm not so sure it's practical.

The other downsides are that they SUCK off road, much worse than a car, unless you load the bed down. Some of our jobs sites are kinda shitty. Also, when I'm down in Fresno or whatever, these things are theft magnets.

That's what I choose to dd, an 89 standard cab short box. Slammed and beat up but she's a fucking riot to throw at corners. I take it to my inlaws 5 hours away without a problem but I'm also more willing to get beat up in trade for a fun commute than most.

If you want something that'll get you down dirt roads and still get decent mileage find a 96+ 4runner. I've seen them for around 2k in 3rz 4wd 5 speed configuration.

Taiwanese Garbage should stay in Taiwan.
DWT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2017, 11:00 AM   #23 (permalink)

Member # 25632
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Sheep View Post
92-94 Honda Accord coupe 4cyl 5spd
If I get a car, I'd like 2000+

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWT View Post
That's what I choose to dd, an 89 standard cab short box. Slammed and beat up but she's a fucking riot to throw at corners. I take it to my inlaws 5 hours away without a problem but I'm also more willing to get beat up in trade for a fun commute than most.

If you want something that'll get you down dirt roads and still get decent mileage find a 96+ 4runner. I've seen them for around 2k in 3rz 4wd 5 speed configuration.
It's not a 5 hr trip here and there that I'm worried about. It's 1000 miles a week all summer. I'm 6' so I fit, but there isn't much room to stretch out, plus most of the ones I see for sale have no/non working ac.

We have a 96 limited, 3.4/auto. Love that thing, I just don't like making the wife drive the CCLB which is why I'd like to get something decent, incase I need the 4runner for a shitty job site, we can switch.

I'm still curious about the prius, just because 40+ mpg would be sweet.

I've always wanted a tdi jetta, but most people are pretty proud of them.
Old 02-25-2017, 11:04 AM   #24 (permalink)

Member # 3132
Send a message via AIM to NOODLES Send a message via Yahoo to NOODLES
If going with the buick/olds. First thing i would do, is pour alumaseal in the radiator. Second, pull all door panels and stuff pool noodles under the door glass. That way you aren't scared when the windows fall in the doors.

The windos will not fall unexpectedly. Because i am telling you now that it will happen. Mostpeople use wooden shims to hold the windows up by simply wedging them between the glass and the door panel
NOODLES is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2017, 11:15 AM   #25 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 168243
1st choice, Panther platform. I could milk 27 out of my Town Car but you have to keep it under 65 to do it. Normal was low to mid 20s at 70-75. The extra comfort of the car was worth it to me, and they are rugged cars and easy to work on. Shoot for 2003+ so you can get rack and pinion steering. J-mod the trans and enjoy.

Size is not so bad on these cars either. Everyone says they are huge, but a fucking new model Camry dwarfed mine.

2nd choice, would be early 2000s Accord or Camry 4 cylinder. Still pretty much the same as the late 90s models and are relatively easy to repair. Parts are widely available.

3rd choice would be Civic or Corolla of the same vintage. I like the extra space of the larger cars personally.

I don't really even like my second or third choices, but they fit the bill. I sold my Accord so I could daily drive my 10 mpg truck because I almost died of boredom in the car. No more lame daily drivers for me. You may catch the ghey if you buy the Prius.

Bogus 4th choice: Clean 1995-96 LT1 Buick Roadmaster. You can find them in garage kept grandma condition for pretty cheap and they are great for the same reasons I like the Panther. My buddy would pull the same mileage as my Town Car in his due to the 2.73 gears, and it would lay rubber pretty well.

For the best deal on 8 lug disc brakes click here-->
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Dr.Danger; 02-25-2017 at 11:20 AM.
Dr.Danger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.