F the FAA - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > General Chit-Chat
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-19-2017, 11:40 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 86724
F the FAA

Drone pilots don’t have to register under FAA’s controversial rule, court rules - MarketWatch
rejoice!
useless registration struck down.

Quote:
The Federal Aviation Administrations requirement that hobby drone users register their devices was struck down in an appeals court Friday.

The U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit ruled in favor of John Taylor, a drone hobbyist who had challenged the legality of the FAAs drone-registration program.

The program, which was instituted in December 2015, required hobby drone owners to register through an FAA website for a $5 fee. Drone hobbyists were then issued a unique identification, which they were required to mark on their drones. Within the first month, nearly 300,000 drone owners had registered.

The court struck down the FAAs registration rule, referencing the 2012 FAA Modernization and Reform Act, which was passed by Congress and signed by President Barack Obama. That rule stated that the FAA may not promulgate any rule or regulation regarding a model aircraft.

The case is a victory for model aircraft enthusiasts and those who oppose government overregulation of hobby flying, said aviation attorney Loretta Alkalay. Congress prohibited any rule regarding model aircraft and the Court of Appeals today ruled that the FAAs registration rule was expressly prohibited.
Old 05-19-2017, 11:45 AM   #2 (permalink)
thhhpptthh!

Member # 10798
Send a message via AIM to sceep Send a message via MSN to sceep
So does everyone get their $5 refunded or did the .gov just coolly steal a few mil?
sceep is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2017, 11:45 AM   #3 (permalink)
Bitter old man

Member # 162771
Good on the court.
Old 05-19-2017, 11:46 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 86724
Quote:
Originally Posted by sceep View Post
So does everyone get their $5 refunded or did the .gov just coolly steal a few mil?
well that's a question.

AFAIK there's 770K registered, but I'd bet a good majority did it when it was free.

can we get paid for the stickers we all had made to label our aircraft too?

Last edited by 87manche; 05-19-2017 at 11:46 AM.
87manche is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2017, 11:47 AM   #5 (permalink)
Bitter old man

Member # 162771
Curious - how big does a model airplane need to be to no longer be considered a model aircraft?

What is someone made a 1:1 model of a 747?
Old 05-19-2017, 11:49 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 86724
Quote:
Originally Posted by plym49 View Post
Curious - how big does a model airplane need to be to no longer be considered a model aircraft?

What is someone made a 1:1 model of a 747?
55lbs.

below that, nothing special.
above that, you need a waiver and it needs to be inspected.
Old 05-19-2017, 11:50 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 14221
Send a message via AIM to ABQ-TJ Send a message via Yahoo to ABQ-TJ
outside of line of sight you still need to register it.

So if you've got a fancier one that you can control while looking at a hand held screen, better keep registering.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
ABQ-TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2017, 11:53 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 86724
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQ-TJ View Post
outside of line of sight you still need to register it.

So if you've got a fancier one that you can control while looking at a hand held screen, better keep registering.
there no "outside LOS" ever. Doesn't matter if it's registered.

FPV equipment does not meet the requirement for see and avoid. if your flight plan takes you outside your sight you need a spotter to put eyes on it. it's why the new fancy commercial level shit is now capable of accepting commands from multiple transmitters. So if you need to fly a big autonomous loop you can have spotters/pilots along the route in case of emergency with controls.
Old 05-19-2017, 12:50 PM   #9 (permalink)
Well Done Man!

Member # 398
Send a message via ICQ to welndmn Send a message via AIM to welndmn Send a message via Yahoo to welndmn
More and more places I got have signs that state they do not allow drones to be flown.

All State parks in CA ban them as well.

I sold mine.
welndmn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2017, 12:57 PM   #10 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 20114
Send a message via AIM to Overbear
That fucking sucks, oh well more reason to start knocking the fucking things out of the air and stomping on them once they hit ground.

A drone is NOT a model airplane. It carries cameras, video feedback, and can (and IS) used to spy on others. People with drones fly into restricted airspace, you don't hear that shit happening with your average model airplane. THe reason? COST. any moron can get a "drone" for $300. Most even half way good model airplanes run $1000 by the time you put a radio in them.

I am still, and will remain of the opinion so called 'drones' should not be flown without a license that proves the fucktard with it, is at least aware of the laws involved.

Christianity neither is, nor ever was a part of the common law.-Thomas Jefferson, letter to Dr. Thomas Cooper, February 10, 1814,

Quote:
When I'm the voice of reason, it's a pretty good indication that someone's doing it wrong.
Overbear is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2017, 01:00 PM   #11 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 5859
You will need to delete the thread since you can't change the thread title. Holocene will not be happy.

- The lush life-giving land, our personal responsibility.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Darlington County Chapter
Haole is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2017, 01:02 PM   #12 (permalink)
DogTalker

Member # 52202
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overbear View Post
That fucking sucks, oh well more reason to start knocking the fucking things out of the air and stomping on them once they hit ground.

A drone is NOT a model airplane. It carries cameras, video feedback, and can (and IS) used to spy on others. People with drones fly into restricted airspace, you don't hear that shit happening with your average model airplane. THe reason? COST. any moron can get a "drone" for $300. Most even half way good model airplanes run $1000 by the time you put a radio in them.

I am still, and will remain of the opinion so called 'drones' should not be flown without a license that proves the fucktard with it, is at least aware of the laws involved.
Oh look, Alain doesn't like something.
jensenkennels is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2017, 01:02 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 40417
I wish drones still had to register
FlexyTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2017, 01:22 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 86724
Quote:

fuck off.

and the FAA required registration for EVERYONE, including long standing members of the AMA that only flew at chartered airfields and only flew LOS fixed wing aircraft. No exceptions. if it weighed over a lb, you needed to be registered.

try and get a clue about the context of the law and what it regulated before you go opening your fucking mouth.

oh, and a grand for a model airplane?
You're so fucking out of touch with the hobby I don't even know what to say. you can buy a complete RTF trainer from tower for less than 3 bills, and it has a gyro that will keep it stable so you can learn to fly it yourself.
There are PNF planes on hobbyking for less than $100.
and six channel radios for Less than $50.
go fuck yourself with your ignorance.

here you go. name brand RTF trainer with a gyro. $299.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXEXZL&P=ML
it even has a bomb drop mechanism. OMG! candy falling from the sky!

Last edited by 87manche; 05-19-2017 at 01:26 PM.
Old 05-19-2017, 01:24 PM   #15 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 5176
Quote:
...THe reason? COST. any moron can get a "drone" for $300. Most even half way good model airplanes run $1000 by the time you put a radio in them...
This moron is looking at a $100 quad copter, with FPV and radio - Ready to Fly.

Or course, it's not recommended to fly with the FPV since there's a little bit of lag in the signal, but for $100, I'm looking at getting into flying as a hobby.

I think quad-copter first, model plane 2nd.

Looks like a fun hobby.

STOLEN!!! -->'80 CJ-7 w/ 258 I-6,T-176,D300, '94 YJ tub, '83 toy axles front & rear, Smirffield front axles, w/3.90's, 'YJ rears up front, and a bunch of home-grown patches, all sitting on BFG 35" MTs.

Post #411
Blame Canada is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2017, 01:29 PM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 86724
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blame Canada View Post
This moron is looking at a $100 quad copter, with FPV and radio - Ready to Fly.

Or course, it's not recommended to fly with the FPV since there's a little bit of lag in the signal, but for $100, I'm looking at getting into flying as a hobby.

I think quad-copter first, model plane 2nd.

Looks like a fun hobby.
find a club nearby.
They'll get you sorted and will teach you to fly. We're all super friendly.

this is the canadian counterpart to the AMA
http://www.maac.ca/en/

and here's your locals:
http://www.maac.ca/en/clubs_details.php?club_id=431
at the dairy farm.

Last edited by 87manche; 05-19-2017 at 01:31 PM.
Old 05-19-2017, 01:42 PM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 52710
Good, I'm suddenly legal again.

jpmassey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2017, 01:52 PM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 86724
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmassey View Post
Good, I'm suddenly legal again.
me too!
Old 05-19-2017, 01:53 PM   #19 (permalink)
thhhpptthh!

Member # 10798
Send a message via AIM to sceep Send a message via MSN to sceep
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87manche View Post
fuck off...

...try and get a clue about the context of the law and what it regulated before you go opening your fucking mouth.

You're so fucking out of touch...
...go fuck yourself with your ignorance.
Quote:
We're all super friendly.

Last edited by sceep; 05-19-2017 at 01:54 PM.
sceep is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2017, 02:04 PM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 86724
Quote:
the irony was not lost upon me.

I giggled when I typed it myself.

but for serious, unless you're overbear, everyone in the hobby is super cool and willing to help out new people.
Old 05-19-2017, 02:10 PM   #21 (permalink)
Gravity Works!

Member # 25608
Quote:
We're all super friendly.
Quote:
fuck off.

before you go opening your fucking mouth.

Hmmmmmmm... really?

Landslide is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2017, 02:11 PM   #22 (permalink)
Gravity Works!

Member # 25608
Quote:
Sumbitch, beat me to it. Uuuuugh.

Old 05-19-2017, 02:12 PM   #23 (permalink)

Member # 74407
Quote:

I think they should start making faggots register in a National database and be required to carry papers at all times. Im sure they'd make you #1.

Btw, your bitch ass wouldn't ever knock one out of the sky and/or stomp on it.
Old 05-19-2017, 02:16 PM   #24 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 20114
Send a message via AIM to Overbear
Quote:
Tons of bullshit
1)I said half way good, not some RTF crap. I LOL at you if you think the guys flying scale perfect models are using $50 radios.

2)Just because you want to be a peeping tom and invade peoples privacy doesn't mean shit. It isn't your constitutional right to fly that pile of shit and you can't sell it as anything else but you being a fucking snowflake. wahhh the mean old man is making me get a simple license and take a test to show I know the law and how to respect peoples privacy.

For fuck sake it is harder to buy a gun in most states, and that is a fucking constitutional right! (and it shouldn't be as hard as it is but that is a whole other argument)

Pretty simple, one of you numbnuts dronetards flies your shit above my property. I have no problem whipping out the compound bow and bird tip, and turning your pretty little privacy invader into scrap plastic.

Christianity neither is, nor ever was a part of the common law.-Thomas Jefferson, letter to Dr. Thomas Cooper, February 10, 1814,

Quote:
When I'm the voice of reason, it's a pretty good indication that someone's doing it wrong.
Overbear is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2017, 02:21 PM   #25 (permalink)
Gravity Works!

Member # 25608
Quote:
1)I said half way good, not some RTF crap. I LOL at you if you think the guys flying scale perfect models are using $50 radios.

2)Just because you want to be a peeping tom and invade peoples privacy doesn't mean shit. It isn't your constitutional right to fly that pile of shit and you can't sell it as anything else but you being a fucking snowflake. wahhh the mean old man is making me get a simple license and take a test to show I know the law and how to respect peoples privacy.

For fuck sake it is harder to buy a gun in most states, and that is a fucking constitutional right! (and it shouldn't be as hard as it is but that is a whole other argument)

Pretty simple, one of you numbnuts dronetards flies your shit above my property. I have no problem whipping out the compound bow and bird tip, and turning your pretty little privacy invader into scrap plastic.
What makes you think anyone would want to hover around your place to catch you humping the leg of a Muslim wanting to butt fuck him?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.