Credit Card charged before Item ships : Illegal? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > General Chit-Chat
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2005, 07:37 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 8642
Credit Card charged before Item ships : Illegal?

So I just had a company charge my card for two grand for an item that will not be delivered for 4 weeks. Is this just poor business practice, or are they breaking the law. I don't feel like I should have to give them an interest free loan for a month.

rustycruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 07:39 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 11727
Im wondering that too. I placed an order for some engine stuff and they billed me right away.... and its goin on 3 weeks. Cant get ahold of them either (phone or email). Think im gonna call my CC company and get my money back
Old 06-23-2005, 07:44 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 6957
did it alot at work for "special order items" that way in a month you can't say i don't want it and we eat it. but we would tell you up front about this. if it was a stocked we where out of 99.9999% of the time your card was billed the day it shipped
ironpig70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 07:55 PM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

Member # 5670
From http://www.creditinfocenter.com/cards/crcd_buy.shtml

Quote:
Can mail-order merchants charge my card before they ship?
According to Janet Hug of Visa USA, "a merchant is not permitted to bill ahead of time" except in case of a deposit or down payment that the customer agrees to. (phone call from Visa USA, 12 May 1992)

MasterCard said in a letter that a merchant can charge you before shipment only if s/he tells you and you agree to "the terms and conditions of the sale."

American Express said the merchant can charge your card as soon as you give your account number; but if you receive the bill before the merchandise, call Amex customer service and you don't have to pay while they investigate. (phone call to Amex, 16 May 1992)
Pavemen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 07:55 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 41117
Send a message via AIM to ST @ STM Motorsports
no its not illegal to charge before shipping, why in the fuck would you ship something out that costs that much just to run the risk that the card will be no damn good
Old 06-23-2005, 08:18 PM   #6 (permalink)
Moderhater

Member # 16980
no i dont mind having someone run my shit, as long as its being shipped in a timley manner. my problem was with glassworks unlimited in my case. trying to get a taco hood when i had a taco.... they billed me the day they got my CC number, took 4 weeks to ship my shit, fawked it up, i sent it back , they sent another, shipping damage, sent it back, another shipped, shipping damage AGAIN so i said fuck it. i called them ,said no thanks, they cant package it right. took them A FUCKING MONTH to credit my card...kept giving me this bullshit about its been swiped back etc.etc. finally i threatend them that the next call was a going to be a confrence call with him, me and my bank. STILL took 3 days to get it back on my card. what a bunch of bullshit from that company.
Halogrinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 08:30 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 7711
Quote:
Originally Posted by ST @ STM Motorsports
no its not illegal to charge before shipping, why in the fuck would you ship something out that costs that much just to run the risk that the card will be no damn good
Uh you would just charge the card and then ship it immediately. You would know if the card was good. There is no reason for a vendor to charge you before the product is ready to ship. I do not give free loans.

Serious discussion makes Bubba sad -BRB
MNBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 08:34 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 19739
Not illegal at all. Even with Visa. Sorry, it's dependant upon "terms and conditions of the sale" and that may not even be something you ever see. Especially if you order over the phone. Catalogs and websites have small print.

Good business practices are to charge when an item ships. Other business' charge when they get a card number. Sometimes, they need your money to order from their suppliers to get your part. Just the way it goes.

I guess that's why I try to keep my money going to vendors with a GREAT rep around the PBB for parts, like Marlin Crawler. No funny shipping, great customer service, and it doesn't take a much more than a minute or two on the search button to find a story where they went above and beyond the call and cost of business to make someone's order right - whether it was their fault or not.

Research a company's rep before you send out your CC# to them - everytime. It's just as easy, if not easier today, to set an e-commerce website designed to take your money as it was to get a magnetic sign put on the side of your work truck that said "Bob's Roofing". Hell, now you don't even have to leave your chair. And both take your money, give an inferior product, and leave you with NO recourse to get satisfaction.

Research, research, research.
Old 06-23-2005, 08:44 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 8642
The vendor in question is a major brick and morter appliance store. I ordered from their website store. They charged my card immediately, but the earliest option for a delivery date was a month down the road. I called and tried to reshedule the delivery earlier....no dice. I do not think I should give a major vendor an interest free loan for a month. Ship the product, or do not charge my card untill you ship. I am about ready to cancel the order, and never do business their again, after the attitude I received when I querried their business practice.

Last edited by rustycruiser; 06-23-2005 at 08:46 PM.
Old 06-23-2005, 08:52 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 11612
Depends on the deal I am getting. hell I have something that has taken over a month to get. I dont care because it was a great deal.
Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 09:40 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 2159
Send a message via ICQ to Supergper Send a message via AIM to Supergper Send a message via MSN to Supergper Send a message via Yahoo to Supergper
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustycruiser
The vendor in question is a major brick and morter appliance store. I ordered from their website store. They charged my card immediately, but the earliest option for a delivery date was a month down the road. I called and tried to reshedule the delivery earlier....no dice. I do not think I should give a major vendor an interest free loan for a month. Ship the product, or do not charge my card untill you ship. I am about ready to cancel the order, and never do business their again, after the attitude I received when I querried their business practice.
What it sounds like to me is you have already bought the item and are waiting on a delivery date from them correct??? If you're so anxious to get it go pick it up yourself, if you want them to deliver it then wait the 4 weeks when they can fit you into their schedule. Maybe this isn't how it is at all but its how you made it sound...also, if its a custom order or a special order then expect to be charged ahead too...
Old 06-24-2005, 08:59 AM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 8642
So here is the full story:

I ordered a Sony 34XS955 HDTV from BestBuy.com on May 30th. I scheduled delivery for the earliest possible date they let me, which was June 24th. They charged my credit card on May 30th. I called them a few days after the order, and tried to move the delivery date forward. They said no dice.

Fast forward to yesterday. They cancelled my order. Sorry, we have no stock. What kind of crappy company takes an order a month ago, charges you for it, and then oversells the product. Best Buy does, thats who. They have had an interest free loan from me for a month, and then have the audacity to tell me that it may take two credit card cycles to refund the money, and tough luck for you. They thing that bugs me the most is that I had already bought a custom stand for the TV, which I am unable to return. So I have a $300 stand, and no TV, because Best Buy is a crap company.

Best Buy can lick my chode. I have spent over $6,000 dollars there in the last year alone. They will never see another dime of my money.

Thanks for letting me vent.
Old 06-24-2005, 09:04 AM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 17616
LC Engineering charged my card the day I ordered my header. It shipped this week after a two week wait, and the shipping charges hit Monday. First time a vendor has done that to me, but no biggie, I knew I'd get the header.

I've been ordering a lot from Marlin and they don't charge till it ships, with everything all on one charge. I had to call and request they charge my card right away so I could plan what day to not have any other activity on the card since my daily debit limit is $2k.
Navajo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 10:08 AM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 30067
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustycruiser
So here is the full story:

I ordered a Sony 34XS955 HDTV from BestBuy.com on May 30th. I scheduled delivery for the earliest possible date they let me, which was June 24th. They charged my credit card on May 30th. I called them a few days after the order, and tried to move the delivery date forward. They said no dice.

Fast forward to yesterday. They cancelled my order. Sorry, we have no stock. What kind of crappy company takes an order a month ago, charges you for it, and then oversells the product. Best Buy does, thats who. They have had an interest free loan from me for a month, and then have the audacity to tell me that it may take two credit card cycles to refund the money, and tough luck for you. They thing that bugs me the most is that I had already bought a custom stand for the TV, which I am unable to return. So I have a $300 stand, and no TV, because Best Buy is a crap company.

Best Buy can lick my chode. I have spent over $6,000 dollars there in the last year alone. They will never see another dime of my money.

Thanks for letting me vent.
Talk to a lawyer. Threaten to sue them for intrest charges and the money for the Stand. Or tell them to get you the TV their choice. I'd bitch at em till they give you the tv just to get rid of you
Stone Cold is offline   Reply With Quote