Pg&e Sucks!! - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > General Chit-Chat
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2008, 08:23 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 6
Send a message via ICQ to Brandon
Pg&e Sucks!!

I did a small addition so my gas meter has to be moved. I dug up all around the gas pipe and stubbed out the connection so they don't have to do anything other than tap into the line and move the meter..

$1400!!!!

INSANE!!

Grrr had to vent

On the other hand SMUD (electric only) isn't charging me a penny and is running all new wire from their pull box..
Old 02-22-2008, 09:02 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 41
Wow, that sucks. I am thinking about doing a garage addition/convert existing garage to living space, and in order to do this would have to move the electric panel on the end of the garage. Hadn't got around to calling pge yet, but judging from your example, its gonna hurt.
82FB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 09:32 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 78741
How you think they can afford all those shiney trucks
BibBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 10:58 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 6
They say it is because the gas line is steel, what the hell else are they, plastic really??

Moving and upgrading my panel to 200A was free, but then again that was SMUD so I dunno what yours will be like.

I feel like saying, nevermind I will just leave the meter right in my dining room.
Old 02-23-2008, 12:49 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 19666
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon View Post
They say it is because the gas line is steel, what the hell else are they, plastic really??

Moving and upgrading my panel to 200A was free, but then again that was SMUD so I dunno what yours will be like.

I feel like saying, nevermind I will just leave the meter right in my dining room.
Yes most new gas lines are plastic/nylon/pex type stuff.

I've run some of it but I never reall asked for details while I was apprenticing.
Old 02-23-2008, 12:50 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImNotRight View Post
Yes most new gas lines are plastic/nylon/pex type stuff.

I've run some of it but I never reall asked for details while I was apprenticing.
The underground stuff??
Old 02-23-2008, 12:57 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 19666
yes

it bright yellow and run with a metallic tracer line so you can locate it.

the stuff I did was plastic/pex (actual term eludes me right now) underground and was then hooked to typical black pipe risers (still underground) that then went to the meter/regulator assembly.

Last edited by ImNotRight; 02-23-2008 at 01:00 AM.
ImNotRight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 08:25 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 14221
Send a message via AIM to ABQ-TJ Send a message via Yahoo to ABQ-TJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon View Post
I did a small addition so my gas meter has to be moved. I dug up all around the gas pipe and stubbed out the connection so they don't have to do anything other than tap into the line and move the meter..

$1400!!!!

INSANE!!
Guess they are still paying Erin Brockovich?

[url="http://twitter.com/abqtj"]Follow me on Twitter[/url]
ABQ-TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 09:17 AM   #9 (permalink)
SHOOT TO THRILL!

Member # 26382
we run miles of plastic gas line underground. it is real easy for the gas company to work on it because they can just crimp it in front of where they are working ,fuse a new piece in, un-crimp the line and they are done.

but still fuck pg&e. my power bill has been over $200/month quite a few times. my house is less than 1k square feet. i don't have a heater. i don't have a/c. i have less than 10 light bulbs total. i don't have a garage and don't do any welding or other power consuming things. i called them a few times trying to get some one to come out and do an evaluation like they keep advertising on the tv and radio commercials. they won't do anything about it. one time they did a phone evaluation and decided that my power bill was consistent with the power i use a couple weeks ago my power was out for 3 days. i noticed my meter was still turning even though i didn't have power. this reminds me that i need to call and bitch at them again.
300sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 09:42 AM   #10 (permalink)
IH/Rover Moderator

Member # 17
Send a message via ICQ to Old Scout
Tell them to pull there freaking meter, your going propane!
Old Scout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 09:55 AM   #11 (permalink)
SHOOT TO THRILL!

Member # 26382
fuck those mother fuckers. i just spent 20 minutes on the phone with them explaining that my meter was still turning even though my power was out. they pretty much called me a liar and said it was impossible. i agree that it shouldn't happen but i saw it with my own eyes. i finally talked to a supervisor and she also implied that i was lying. she gave me a number for the corporate office which is closed today of course. i loose a couple hundred dollars worth of frozen meats and i still have to pay for power when i couldn't use it?

i got the flu so i guess i am extra mad today.
300sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 10:43 AM   #12 (permalink)
I make websites!

Member # 12429
That's BS, I have had issues with SMUD too and they won't do the evaluation for me either
Todd W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 08:20 AM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 6
for the record the plastic piece they are putting in is.. 6" long.
Old 02-27-2008, 08:22 AM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 192
Send a message via AIM to brector Send a message via Yahoo to brector
Go California!!!

1 ton yoda

I make nerd sexy
brector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 08:35 AM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 9419
Dang, my gas company ran over 100 feet of line from the road to my house...for FREE.
Old 02-27-2008, 08:39 AM   #16 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 5176
Quote:
Originally Posted by 300sniper View Post
we run miles of plastic gas line underground. it is real easy for the gas company to work on it because they can just crimp it in front of where they are working ,fuse a new piece in, un-crimp the line and they are done.

but still fuck pg&e. my power bill has been over $200/month quite a few times. my house is less than 1k square feet. i don't have a heater. i don't have a/c. i have less than 10 light bulbs total. i don't have a garage and don't do any welding or other power consuming things. i called them a few times trying to get some one to come out and do an evaluation like they keep advertising on the tv and radio commercials. they won't do anything about it. one time they did a phone evaluation and decided that my power bill was consistent with the power i use a couple weeks ago my power was out for 3 days. i noticed my meter was still turning even though i didn't have power. this reminds me that i need to call and bitch at them again.
Can't you turn off your panel, at your breaker box, just for 5 minutes, and go check to see of the meter is still turning? If so, call them saying sparks are flying out of their meter, so that they come out to check?

A service dude, would probably be more helpful, than someone on the phone.

Shit. Either that, or just start to smash the meter, and then they'll come out anyways.

STOLEN!!! -->'80 CJ-7 w/ 258 I-6,T-176,D300, '94 YJ tub, '83 toy axles front & rear, Smirffield front axles, w/3.90's, 'YJ rears up front, and a bunch of home-grown patches, all sitting on BFG 35" MTs.

Post #411
Blame Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 11:21 AM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 191
so Brandon,

the meter only moved 6"-? and they dented you for 1400? something sounds
funny...

as for the spinning meter w/no power.......... pull your main from the panel

if possible to see that meter still spin....... if it does, and since you already

called pg&e, I'd call back and talk to service and tell them it's broken and

needs to be checked..... tell them you saw a spark or something, and the

tech will have to come out and check it..... (they might kill your power

prior to the service check however and lock out your panel, so be there and

be prepared for that to happen...

--Sherpa

SHERPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 11:23 AM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 2741
Next time, tell them you need a meter upgrade for more volume. They do that for free.
Schly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 11:53 AM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 4142
During September/October the wife and I didnt run any AC or heat. The bill went up $50 for each month. Called them on it, said that's what the meter read. Bill has been running $50 less throughout the winter and we run the propane heater, wtf? I dont think they read the meter, maybe just guessing, coming out once every 6 months and adjusting the bill accordingly?
Old 02-27-2008, 12:03 PM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 86724
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut2 View Post
During September/October the wife and I didnt run any AC or heat. The bill went up $50 for each month. Called them on it, said that's what the meter read. Bill has been running $50 less throughout the winter and we run the propane heater, wtf? I dont think they read the meter, maybe just guessing, coming out once every 6 months and adjusting the bill accordingly?
that's exactly what columbia gas does to us, and it's always vastly overestimated.
We usually don't end up paying for 2 or 3 months because they've already overcharged us so much
87manche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 12:56 PM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 7907
There are so many variables here that it would take volumes to explain....

First of all, what you are doing is a service rearrangement. What this means is that you are modifying your existing service to suit your new needs. In order to do this, the exisiting service has to be essentially re-engineered and re-arranged.

Grant it, it only may have been for a 6" gas stub, but here's generally what was entailed....

Administrative costs to process your paperwork and request....
Engineering costs to engineer and evaluate your job...
Crew costs to re-arrange the work. This includes crew time (how many workers were involved? You're paying for their time), equipment time (gas line plasti-weld equipment, materals) , travel to and from the job site.
Line testing....

The key here is that you've modified an existing service. You're hearing talk here that others may have received a gas line run for free... but I really doubt this is the case. Sure, there are some free footage allowances for new construction type of work, but in your case; you've requested the modification to an existing service...and that's gonna cost you.

A 2 - 3 man gas crew, their trucks and equipment, materials, engineering, etc... I can see why that would add up to $1400 easily.

The filed PG&E Rates and Rules underwent a major change throught the CPUC back in 1997. Prior to that, there was a lot of cross customer subsidization that took place. Basically large commercial/industrial customers were more or less subsidizing work for smaller customers. This all changed, and now every customer is responsible for the work or re-arrangement performed at their premise.

On your metering issue... something really does sound weird. Call PG&E back request a meter test. The meter spinning with now power usage is just not right. Kinda like watching your gas pump rack up $$$ and no gas going into your tank. If the meter is spinning... the power is going somewhere....
Old 02-27-2008, 04:27 PM   #22 (permalink)

Member # 6
it isn't free, you pay for it monthly!

The line runs in line with where I am moving it so they tap into the line, install riser, and move the meter. The 6" is the amount of plastic they have to put in which is what they are justifying the cost for.

It gets better today, they want a 6' long x3' wide by 3' deep trench with sand below that so they can charge me $1400 to connect the gas I pay THEM for. Fuck them bastards. I hope they blow up welding the fitting on, fucking fucksticks.

My sideyard is only 5' wide and then I have a fence right there, so I have to remove the fence and somehow contain my dogs, then dig down and remove a shitload of dirt, put in sand and then pay them bastards $1500 so then I can pay a monthly fee for gas. Damn close to going all electric!

What the fuck are they engineering?? Am I the first person to get gas? I could do it in an hour. Use a pipe cutter to cut it, plug the thing (it is low pressure), use a hand threader to thread it, thread on a riser and move the fucking meter, gee that's hard.

ooooooohhhhh burns me up..

Once again, the electric (SMUD) is not charging me a penny and they are running all new line for a 200A feed..

Last edited by Brandon; 02-27-2008 at 04:34 PM.
Brandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 04:39 PM   #23 (permalink)

Member # 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Scout View Post
Tell them to pull there freaking meter, your going propane!
I oughta be able to buy a tank for $1400 and then it's just fill cost, damn tempting..
Old 02-27-2008, 04:39 PM   #24 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 233
why can't you do it your self ??
Old 02-27-2008, 04:40 PM   #25 (permalink)

Member # 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post
why can't you do it your self ??
You can't turn the gas off so it is hot, I don't know if there meter is a regulator too, they probably wouldn't be too happy if I cut into their line. You'd be leaking gas that isn't metered, can't be a good thing legally.

Last edited by Brandon; 02-27-2008 at 04:53 PM.
Brandon is offline   Reply With Quote