HE PASSED - The continuing saga of the Teenage Nephew - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > General Chit-Chat
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2008, 08:27 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 34022
Send a message via AIM to Terrys_85_Toy Send a message via MSN to Terrys_85_Toy
HE PASSED - The continuing saga of the Teenage Nephew

Woo Hoo

After a rocky few months, he finally pulled his head out of his ass and started making the right decisions. When he came to live with us in January, he was failing 4 out of 6 classes and didn't care. By the end of this school year, he had turned all of grades around significantly and was motivated to pass. Unfortunately for him, he as so far behind in 2 of his classes that it would have been impossible to get a passing grade. But after 5 weeks of summer-school he's done it; he can now move on to the 10 grade and finally be proud of accomplishing something that his "parents" told him he couldn't do (btw, his dad didn't even call to day "good job" ).

We are very proud of him and he is very grateful that we didn't give up on him. Now, just 3 more years to go.

[QUOTE=rustywagoneersdotcom;11056223]Political Correctness is a doctrine that holds forth the proposition that it is possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=fullygruntled]PBB is mostly dumb.[/QUOTE]
Terrys_85_Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 08:29 AM   #2 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 14059
he's banging the teacher, be proud
Old 07-23-2008, 08:30 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 44662
That's awesome man. Glad to hear he's doing well. As someone who was in a somewhat similar situation as your nephew all I can say is don't give up on him.
Old 07-23-2008, 08:32 AM   #4 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 111030
Good job keeping the faith in him!! It's great to see a kid turn around for the better.
Old 07-23-2008, 08:36 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 85771
Your mustache scared him into submission
Old 07-23-2008, 08:42 AM   #6 (permalink)
DRM
Super Moderator

Member # 8
PM me his name & address, I'll send him a card and a note telling him he's doing a good job.

Hell, more people need encouragement when they are headed down the right path - and props to you for helping
>"A little nonsense now and then is cherished by the wisest men."
DRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 08:47 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 85771
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRM View Post
PM me his name & address, I'll send him a card and a note telling him he's doing a good job.

Hell, more people need encouragement when they are headed down the right path - and props to you for helping
thats actually a good idea...Ill send him some beer. What does he drink?
Old 07-23-2008, 08:50 AM   #8 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 110475
Quote:
Originally Posted by ky scrambled View Post
Im gonna guess coors, bud, or busch. The highschool staples.

Good job on that though! I passed highschool with exactly the right amount of credits (and i was a few ahead before senior year). Just make sure he keeps caught up and that he doesnt take class's over his head. I ended up taking class's that i didnt wanna commit time to and failed out of em.
Outlaws we will be!
For the best deal on 8 lug disc brakes click here--> www.lugnut4x4.com
Alpine4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 09:03 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 34022
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRM View Post
Sent

Quote:
YooHoo Chocolate Drink

BTW, if you're serious about sending him something, let me know, I'll PM you my address.

[QUOTE=rustywagoneersdotcom;11056223]Political Correctness is a doctrine that holds forth the proposition that it is possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.[/QUOTE]

Old 07-23-2008, 09:04 AM   #10 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 5176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myanarchy View Post
he's banging the teacher, be proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrys_85_Toy View Post
Woo Hoo

After a rocky few months, he finally pulled his head out of his ass and started making the right decisions. When he came to live with us in January, he was failing 4 out of 6 classes and didn't care. By the end of this school year, he had turned all of grades around significantly and was motivated to pass. Unfortunately for him, he as so far behind in 2 of his classes that it would have been impossible to get a passing grade. But after 5 weeks of summer-school he's done it; he can now move on to the 10 grade and finally be proud of accomplishing something that his "parents" told him he couldn't do (btw, his dad didn't even call to day "good job" ).

We are very proud of him and he is very grateful that we didn't give up on him. Now, just 3 more years to go.
Good for you guys. I couldn't have been easy, but good for you guys for not giving up.

STOLEN!!! -->'80 CJ-7 w/ 258 I-6,T-176,D300, '94 YJ tub, '83 toy axles front & rear, Smirffield front axles, w/3.90's, 'YJ rears up front, and a bunch of home-grown patches, all sitting on BFG 35" MTs.

Post #411
Blame Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 09:08 AM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 85771
Quote:
Sent

YooHoo Chocolate Drink

BTW, if you're serious about sending him something, let me know, I'll PM you my address.
yeah I will send him something
Old 07-23-2008, 09:08 AM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 52443
Quote:
and finally be proud of accomplishing something that his "parents" told him he couldn't do (btw, his dad didn't even call to day "good job" ).

Awesome. I can relate to him. I was constantly told: "You will never do that, its impossible..." "I don't care what you do - what job you choose - you could lay bricks for all I care - just do SOMETHING." "At least get a D, you don't have to be an "A" stundent..."

It affected me a really long time. Till 27. (edit: About the time I joined here... Thanks guys!)

Say hi to him from me from Germany. Please tell him from me that school is where he can learn to be better than the others "in the game" - They will try and hold you back.

Last edited by ev13wt; 07-23-2008 at 09:24 AM.
ev13wt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 10:07 AM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 34022
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blame Canada View Post
Good for you guys. I couldn't have been easy, but good for you guys for not giving up.
No it hasn't. We were used to the 5 & 7 year old mentality of our own kids. We had to rethink everything to find new and exciting ways to punish and/or entertain him. But we've had some time now and everyone is getting along just fine. Getting him through 9th grade was only step 1 though.

Quote:
yeah I will send him something
PM sent. Thanks

Old 07-23-2008, 10:40 AM   #14 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 16751
Just have him study for and pass the GED & skip high school.

Im pretty sure my 10 yr old could pass the GED test.
Do we really think that a government-dominated education is going to produce citizens capable of dominating their government, as the education of a truly vigilant self-governing people requires?[Alan Keyes]

For some, Freedom matters, for most, prosperity suffices.[Fred Reed]

74Bronco EFI 5spd
roundhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 10:54 AM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 39371
Send a message via AIM to currupt4130
Quote:
Originally Posted by roundhouse View Post
Just have him study for and pass the GED & skip high school.

Im pretty sure my 10 yr old could pass the GED test.
WTF? This is great advice, why doesn't everyone take the easy way instead of working hard and accomplishing something. Fucking idiot.

Congrats on turning the kid around.

Last edited by currupt4130; 07-23-2008 at 10:55 AM.
currupt4130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 11:13 AM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 34022
Quote:
Originally Posted by currupt4130 View Post
WTF? This is great advice, why doesn't everyone take the easy way instead of working hard and accomplishing something. Fucking idiot.

Congrats on turning the kid around.
Thanks.
And I was thinking the same thing when I read that post. Hell, maybe I should just send him back home so his daily beating will continue too. I'm sure his mom would enjoy the extra welfare money again.

Old 07-23-2008, 11:26 AM   #17 (permalink)
Sue
Rock God

Member # 13743
Awesome
Old 07-23-2008, 11:36 AM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 75475
obviously you did something to change his outlook. what? I have a son who refuses to make the right choices, he passed 9th grade because the teachers just wanted to push him through, all Fs (except choir, the one class he really likes????) until days before the end of the semester, then all of a sudden, all D-

I have tried everything, even bribery, completely rebuilt 1970 stepside gmc, 4wd, his if he gets all Cs, nothing
BarfBag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 11:48 AM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 85771
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarfBag View Post
obviously you did something to change his outlook. what? I have a son who refuses to make the right choices, he passed 9th grade because the teachers just wanted to push him through, all Fs (except choir, the one class he really likes????) until days before the end of the semester, then all of a sudden, all D-

I have tried everything, even bribery, completely rebuilt 1970 stepside gmc, 4wd, his if he gets all Cs, nothing
Sounds like he might not be a truck guy...buy him a dress

I dont have kids so I am not really sure how to handle that.
Old 07-23-2008, 12:02 PM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 34022
Quote:

Honestly, he didn't want to go back home to his parents. After about 3 months of being with us, he realized that life is much better than where he came from and we used that to his benefit. Being with us also showed him where hard work will get you as opposed to being a drop-out living in a run-down trailer and shopping with food stamps and raking pine-straw for gas and cigarette money.
Also, we didn't budge on anything; if we said do this or do that or there'll be consiquences, we followed through with those consiquences. He quickly learned that is was our way or the highway and that he was responsible for his own actions. It was a bitch keeping a 15 year old on restriction for all but 4 weeks out of 5 months, but that's what we had to do; and it worked. Now that he's assimilated to our rules, he's made major gains in both school and in his social mind-set. And now he's "earned" all of the privileges (Cell Phone, MySpace, Video Games, etc) that he used to take for granted back.

Old 07-23-2008, 12:31 PM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 14121
Send a message via MSN to Kitty Cat
Way to GO!!
Old 07-23-2008, 12:45 PM   #22 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 5943
Location: Southeastern MN. (formerly near Chicago, I've ESCAPED!)
Quote:
Also, we didn't budge on anything; if we said do this or do that or there'll be consiquences, we followed through with those consiquences. He quickly learned that is was our way or the highway and that he was responsible for his own actions.
I'd say you've got it figured out. Tell him he's a good kid.
ChiXJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 01:00 PM   #23 (permalink)

Member # 70258
Excellent!

( I'm sure you realize this, but I'll mention it anyway)

Keep doing what you are doing! Be prepared for periodic relapses along the way....The good news is that relapses(if any) will be shorter in duration from here on out.

My hat's off to you guys for hanging in there and doing what is "right" by him instead of taking the "easy" road.

My folks did this with my cousin growing up and he credits them with literally saving his life after seeing what happened to his friends he used to run with.(They are all dead or in prison)

Send me a PM and I will drop him a note, as well. I am more than happy to spend a few minutes in "encouraging" him on to keep at it!

Steve Stroud
Old 07-23-2008, 01:03 PM   #24 (permalink)

Member # 52443
Quote:
Slacker. Tell him you expect A's. At least. What, you think he is dumb or something?

Last edited by ev13wt; 07-23-2008 at 01:04 PM.
ev13wt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 01:15 PM   #25 (permalink)

Member # 11425
Quote:
Woo Hoo

you did good. and good luck with the next 3 years, may just turn the kid around for good.