JPEG file into AutoCAD - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > General Chit-Chat
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2008, 10:41 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 79762
JPEG file into AutoCAD

Is it possible to pull a jpeg image file into autocad? Such as a company logo so it can be used on plans? I have never done this and a google search turns up little. If there is a better file format to convert the jpeg to and then import it I could do that as well.

Any help??
kidkrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 10:42 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 48233
insert as rastor image and specify location on screen is easiest
Doc Holiday13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 10:47 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 7287
In the command prompt, just type "image" and it'll bring up the manager. I'd suggest drawing up the logo in CAD sometime if you plan on inserting it alot in the future.
If not, you'll have the send the .jpg file itself along with the CAD file every time you need to e-mail a drawing or it'll show up as a missing reference...

Last edited by Welby; 12-29-2008 at 10:47 AM.
Welby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 10:49 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 48233
Quote:
Originally Posted by Welby View Post
In the command prompt, just type "image" and it'll bring up the manager. I'd suggest drawing up the logo in CAD sometime if you plan on inserting it alot in the future.
If not, you'll have the send the .jpg file itself along with the CAD file every time you need to e-mail a drawing or it'll show up as a missing reference...
Why would he reference it when he can insert directly to the drawing like I told him to?
Old 12-29-2008, 10:53 AM   #5 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 9722
I would not reference it. Then you have to deal with having the image file somewhere else, which isn't the case 99% of the time.

Nothing pisses me off more than when I see that in a CAD drawing. It makes the CAD drawing completly fucking worthless in the future.

Last edited by TexasBlake; 12-29-2008 at 10:54 AM.
TexasBlake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 10:55 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 7287
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Holiday13 View Post
Why would he reference it when he can insert directly to the drawing like I told him to?

I get the impression that it's something he'll want to use on every plan, not just one drawing... *shrug*

Last edited by Welby; 12-29-2008 at 10:58 AM.
Welby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 10:58 AM   #7 (permalink)
Douche Bag

Member # 105653
I once used a program called cutshop or something. It would import .jpg let you modify it a bit and then export a .dxf.

Was a pain in the ass but it worked. It was without a doubt faster than redrawing the image in ACad.

One time deal go that way.

If you need it alot over time draw it out new.

[SIZE="3"][COLOR="Red"]HAMMERS[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[URL="http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showpost.php?p=8004681&postcount=83"]virtual rally - #83[/URL]

[SIZE="3"][COLOR="Red"]TELLICO[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[URL="http://pirate4x4.com/forum/showpost.php?p=8218356&postcount=51"]virtual rally - #51[/URL][SIZE="5"][/SIZE][SIZE="6"][/SIZE]
Repost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 10:59 AM   #8 (permalink)
Not 5S compliant

Member # 1889
In the past, when I embedded tire tracks in my paint, I imported a picture of a tire into AutoCAD and then traced it on a separate layer, effectively converting it to line art (I couldn't come up with a utility that would actually convert it the way I needed it for my vinyl cutter). If you just want to have the image in there, paste it in like Doc said, but I agree with the sentiment of that if you're going to use it more than once or twice, draw it up directly in AutoCAD and then import it into all the drawings you want it in--it'll look a lot more professional.

Last edited by Scott@Rockstomper; 12-29-2008 at 11:00 AM.
Scott@Rockstomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 11:06 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 48233
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott@Rockstomper View Post
In the past, when I embedded tire tracks in my paint, I imported a picture of a tire into AutoCAD and then traced it on a separate layer, effectively converting it to line art (I couldn't come up with a utility that would actually convert it the way I needed it for my vinyl cutter). If you just want to have the image in there, paste it in like Doc said, but I agree with the sentiment of that if you're going to use it more than once or twice, draw it up directly in AutoCAD and then import it into all the drawings you want it in--it'll look a lot more professional.
Exactly. If its going to be a title block then save it in a generic location and then insert it in the layout tab as a block.

For example. I have our title block completely drawn up in the model space. All my plots are on 8 1/2" x 11" paper. So I drew a rectangle 8 1/2" x 11" and offset it in by 1/2" so I can see what my actual printable area is then drew the title block as it needed to be and inserted the logo as a rastor image.

Once that's done you never had to draw it again. Just drop into the new drawings layout view and indicate the title block on the paper. Set your viewport and you are set
Old 12-29-2008, 11:07 AM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 99158
x2 on drawing it up in autocad. imported images often look like crap when you plot them if you scale them up or down from the original size.

[url]www.leded.com[/url][URL="www.toyotacrawlers.com"]
Northeast Toyota Crawlers[/URL]
[url]www.rok-freekz.com[/url]
88 Zuk - [url=http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=765704]Build Thread..[/url]
[url=http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1004552]ZUK FOR SALE...[/url]
RTrac1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 11:08 AM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 48233
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTrac1 View Post
x2 on drawing it up in autocad. imported images often look like crap when you plot them if you scale them up or down from the original size.
If you do it the way I just explained there is no scaling to be done to it. Scale of the drawing itself is set in the viewport. My method also makes the drawing 1/4 smaller in kb/mb usage

Last edited by Doc Holiday13; 12-29-2008 at 11:09 AM.
Old 12-29-2008, 11:13 AM   #12 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 24091
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkrawler View Post
Is it possible to pull a jpeg image file into autocad? Such as a company logo so it can be used on plans? I have never done this and a google search turns up little. If there is a better file format to convert the jpeg to and then import it I could do that as well.

Any help??
Yes, like doc says:

Insert menu>Raster Image Reference

Quote:
insert as rastor image and specify location on screen is easiest
Bingo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasBlake View Post
I would not reference it. Then you have to deal with having the image file somewhere else, which isn't the case 99% of the time.

Nothing pisses me off more than when I see that in a CAD drawing. It makes the CAD drawing completly fucking worthless in the future.
Images work just fine in AutoCAD - when sending to a client, make sure to use File>Etransmit, rather than just emailing the *.dwg. When you use etransmit, it packages all required files (including images, fonts, and plot styles) into a zip to send off to the customer.

Sounds like you have clients who just don't know what they're doing - it might save you some hassle in the future if you took the time to educate them.

Quote:
Exactly. If its going to be a title block then save it in a generic location and then insert it in the layout tab as a block.

For example. I have our title block completely drawn up in the model space. All my plots are on 8 1/2" x 11" paper. So I drew a rectangle 8 1/2" x 11" and offset it in by 1/2" so I can see what my actual printable area is then drew the title block as it needed to be and inserted the logo as a rastor image.

Once that's done you never had to draw it again. Just drop into the new drawings layout view and indicate the title block on the paper. Set your viewport and you are set
Alternatively, you can setup your drawing templates so all your settings (including title blocks in paperspace) are already established in the file.

As for logos in CAD though, I much prefer to vectorize them & not use images.

Last edited by OlBlueCJ7; 12-29-2008 at 11:14 AM.
OlBlueCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 11:14 AM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 40587
Insert, Raster Image. Make sure you specify the folder that the image is in is staying with the autoCAD file so it doesn't get disassociated like Texas Blake said. For example make a folder with both the drawing and the JPEG in it, that way they are always together.

I can't stand that shit either when people send me drawings that don't know how the fawk to use CAD
[QUOTE=Dieselmh]I'll cave his fucking head in with a shovel, just to show him that just because he has opposable thumbs, that doesn't put him on the same badassedness level as humans. Stupid arrogant possums. :shaking:[/QUOTE]
The Black Sheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 11:15 AM   #14 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 9722
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlBlueCJ7 View Post
Sounds like you have clients who just don't know what they're doing - it might save you some hassle in the future if you took the time to educate them.
It has to do with the repositories/documentum systems that some of the clients use. A lot of times you can only just place a file in one system I've used. Sometimes I could be pulling up anything from a 1 week old Cad drawing or a digital scan of a 90 year old wax paper drawing from when pipe lines were made of wood/rolled sheet metal with a Standard Oil logo on them. Also, with some of these clients, you basically have to treat them like a 2 year old and make things as EASY and LOW TECH AS POSSIBLE.

Hell, half the people I work with think that "the internet is gone" if there is no IE button on their desktop.

Last edited by TexasBlake; 12-29-2008 at 11:22 AM.
Old 12-29-2008, 11:17 AM   #15 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 24091
Quote:
It has to do with the repositories/documentum systems that some of the clients use. Also, with some of these clients, you basically have to treat them like a 2 year old and make things as EASY and LOW TECH AS POSSIBLE.

Hell, have the people I work with think that "the internet is gone" if there is no IE button on their desktop.
Oh I hear ya.

We've had really good luck with e-transmit though - sure there's a lot of functionality that some people don't need, but if they just choose the defaults, it's surprisingly reliable (for an Autodesk product ), and enables us to reproduce their design intent.
Old 12-29-2008, 11:21 AM   #16 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 9722
Quote:
Oh I hear ya.

We've had really good luck with e-transmit though - sure there's a lot of functionality that some people don't need, but if they just choose the defaults, it's surprisingly reliable (for an Autodesk product ), and enables us to reproduce their design intent.
I won't even transmit the DWG files to the client or any co-worker outside the few people in my department per the project. I don't want people to F with things, or make changes and print that off.

Everyone gets a PDF with "PRELIMINARY" stamped across it until the drawing is used for construction, which then the client will receive the electronic file with all the other drawings.
Old 12-29-2008, 11:32 AM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 48233
Quote:
Alternatively, you can setup your drawing templates so all your settings (including title blocks in paperspace) are already established in the file.

As for logos in CAD though, I much prefer to vectorize them & not use images.
OOOH me likey the idea. I'm lazy so I'm gunna have to go setup a drawing template

Quote:
I won't even transmit the DWG files to the client or any co-worker outside the few people in my department per the project. I don't want people to F with things, or make changes and print that off.
Yup thats one method. Another I use is to set everything in the drawing into a block that is password protected. That way they can pull dims and everything on the drawing but never actually edit my work

Last edited by Doc Holiday13; 12-29-2008 at 11:32 AM.
Old 12-29-2008, 11:33 AM   #18 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 24091
Are you on 2009? Did you see that there is a bonus pack out now that lets you insert PDF's directly into a dwg (like you would a raster or an xref)? Cool as shit - even lets you snap to geometry in the PDF.
Old 12-29-2008, 11:34 AM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 11622
If all you are doing it tracing a logo then a simple control c/control v will work.
Old 12-29-2008, 11:35 AM   #20 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 9722
Quote:
Yup thats one method. Another I use is to set everything in the drawing into a block that is password protected. That way they can pull dims and everything on the drawing but never actually edit my work
Never hought of that. Honestly I don't even really do work in AutoCad. I use special 3D software for the industry which is based around MicroStation. The new software for the industry doesn't have many people besides my project at my company and a few other projects at other companies, and it's 2D software is something called SmartSketch, it's like MS Paint

Also, one thing to remember is EVERYONE can read a PDF on their computer. A lot of people in my company don't have AutoCad on their machines if they're construction, chem. engineer, etc.

You can also export as that one file that can be opened by that AutoDesk Design Review that lets people pull dimensions and mark up. That software is free.

Last edited by TexasBlake; 12-29-2008 at 11:38 AM.
Old 12-29-2008, 11:35 AM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 40587
Quote:

Everyone gets a PDF with "PRELIMINARY" stamped across it until the drawing is used for construction, which then the client will receive the electronic file with all the other drawings.
I have to deal with pissed off clients that want full autoCAD drawings too. They always get a PDF. They usually go thru the roof when they are told they don't own the virtual files themselves. Theres no way any LS or PE is gonna put their signature and stamp on a plans that can be modified by some joe who thinks they can design their own shit.
[QUOTE=Dieselmh]I'll cave his fucking head in with a shovel, just to show him that just because he has opposable thumbs, that doesn't put him on the same badassedness level as humans. Stupid arrogant possums. :shaking:[/QUOTE]
Old 12-29-2008, 11:37 AM   #22 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 24091
Quote:
OOOH me likey the idea. I'm lazy so I'm gunna have to go setup a drawing template
FYI:

Under Options (OP at command line), Files tab, expand the Template settings bullet.

"Drawing Template File Location" is the folder where you store the DWT files.

"Default Template File Name for QNEW" is the single template that you use most. When you select the icon on a toolbar for a new file, this is the file that will launch. If you select File>New, it will open the folder above, allowing you to choose any of the templates you have setup. We have different ones for metric & imperial, for example.
Old 12-29-2008, 11:38 AM   #23 (permalink)

Member # 40587
I heard you can always make a copy and minsert it but I never had the balls to basically turn a drawing into read only permantely. DO NOT try this on an original drawing or you will be FUCKED.
Old 12-29-2008, 11:44 AM   #24 (permalink)

Member # 48233
Quote:
FYI:

Under Options (OP at command line), Files tab, expand the Template settings bullet.

"Drawing Template File Location" is the folder where you store the DWT files.

"Default Template File Name for QNEW" is the single template that you use most. When you select the icon on a toolbar for a new file, this is the file that will launch. If you select File>New, it will open the folder above, allowing you to choose any of the templates you have setup. We have different ones for metric & imperial, for example.
I just did that. I've never really played around with lazy settings like that. Just a few months ago I figured out how to insert a text tab on my title block that automatically displays the file location so that I don't have to manually do it. I'm gettin lazy but my boss is going to think this is the tits for me figuring that out
Old 12-29-2008, 11:47 AM   #25 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 38193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott@Rockstomper View Post
For a "corporate correct" import of a logo, the best way I know is to create in vectors in Adobe Illustrator where you have support for the original vectors in text fonts, including kerning. Also waaaaaaay easier to create the forms used in most logos with the bezier-based tools of Adobe Illustrator.

Export to .dxf from Illustrator is your friend.

If you have an .ai or vector .eps file of your logo send it on over and I can prolly pervert it.