Who doesn't give a shit about the economy? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > General Chit-Chat
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2009, 10:19 AM   #1 (permalink)
Quit changin my shit

Member # 18977
Send a message via AIM to Otto Man
Who doesn't give a shit about the economy?

Just seeing if there are any people on here who don't give two shits about it? I can't be the only one, can I? My job is locked in for the next 4 years, and can be extended as much as I want till I retire. I have no family to take care of, I pay off my shit, have good credit for my age, and put a few dollars into savings every month. Conspiracy comments welcome. Tin foil hat is ready to be put on.

It's a respect issue. Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

Would you tell your Grandmother to go suck a big black cock, just because you could?
Otto Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 10:22 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 5371
Send a message via MSN to rockota
IMHO, of all of the "issues" we hear about in elections, Economy is the only universal one... that we should all care about.
rockota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 10:24 AM   #3 (permalink)
In GOD we trust. USA

Member # 15480
Well, in the I, ME, MINE context you mention; I don't.
If you had kids, as I do....
Who do you think is gonna pay for this clusterfawk.

Sounds like you don't give a shit because you have nothing to care for.

<-- AVATAR for Concealed Carry Weapons permits in the U.S. over time: No issue / May issue / Shall issue / Constitutional carry- No restrictions / FROM 1986 to today
NoJoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 10:24 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 6417
Send a message via Yahoo to Dieselmh
I care, but I'm not freaking out about it. Unemployment is hitting close to home, but I still have a good job and not too many bills. I think the panic is making it worse. I was trying to get a garage built on my place, and instead of people lowering their prices to get work, it seems like they're raising them to try and make money to save up for the next depression. Cost of steel has gone down, cost of concrete has gone down, but almost all of the quotes I got have gone up from 20%-50% over last year.
Dieselmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 10:25 AM   #5 (permalink)
Hillbilly Houndsman

Member # 13420
I am not scared, but only a fool would not "give a shit".
Kind of like not worrying about the forest fire that threatens town because you live out of town.
After the town has burned down - you realize you have no where to go to.

www.MountaineerOffroad.com
SilverZuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 10:27 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 25297
Send a message via AIM to Scudrunr
I might be keeping my money out of savings if I were you.

Am I worried? not really, seems like there isn't much to be done except to be cautious. Its really out of human hands so I might as well not lose sleep over it.
Scudrunr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 10:28 AM   #7 (permalink)
Quit changin my shit

Member # 18977
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoJoke View Post
Sounds like you don't give a shit because you have nothing to care for.
Not exactly. I got to take care of my ZX-10, gotta keep her pretty.

Would you tell your Grandmother to go suck a big black cock, just because you could?
Old 02-10-2009, 10:28 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 5371
Send a message via MSN to rockota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scudrunr View Post
Its really out of human hands so I might as well not lose sleep over it.
The problem is that it's ENTIRELY IN human hands... and a small number of them.
rockota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 10:33 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 2650
Location: Home is where the Marine Corps sends you,...right now, it's Kernersville, NC.
It's of no concern to me. Just as the generations past said things go to crap, our current generation says things are going to crap and our follow on generations will say things are going to crap. Inflation will continue to rise as will our deficit, nothing will change that. The "fear" for our children, is just that, a "fear". They will survive, just as children of the depression survived.

Honestly, this "economic problem" hasn't really effected me with the exception of my personal retirement fund, and that's just like a trip to Vegas, a gamble, it wasn't guaranteed to rise, only guesstimated to, so, I've taken a 30% hit on that, no biggie, Uncle Sam will continue to pay me, more than I actually thought I'd get too.
Old 02-10-2009, 10:37 AM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 3935
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Man View Post
Just seeing if there are any people on here who don't give two shits about it? I can't be the only one, can I? My job is locked in for the next 4 years, and can be extended as much as I want till I retire. I have no family to take care of, I pay off my shit, have good credit for my age, and put a few dollars into savings every month. Conspiracy comments welcome. Tin foil hat is ready to be put on.
That won't help you if the dollar is worthless. Time to worry AEN.
southernfriedcj8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 10:39 AM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 101942
Quote:
so your in the military then hugh?
xjemily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 10:43 AM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 84804
If I were you, Id be more worried about the dems cutting the military budget and you and youre ZX-10 ending up stationed in some bumfuck swamp town transporting hazardous waste for a living...
OBXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 10:46 AM   #13 (permalink)
Quit changin my shit

Member # 18977
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernfriedcj8 View Post
That won't help you if the dollar is worthless. Time to worry AEN.
So, how is worrying going to make the dollar not worthless? Exactly, it's not. I can now totally see how hippies started their trend. You can worry and worry and still be helpless, or you can smoke yourself stupid and enjoy life instead of worrying about it - Afterall, if you are going to go out, why not make it enjoyable?

InfantryYJ just explained my point in a better manner. Everyone is saying everything is going to shit...well guess what? There will always be tomorrow, whether you are here or not. The U.S. / world will adapt. I'm sure there was some old farts, when upon first sight of seeing an automobile, said the world was going to hell/we are getting lazier by the day.

Old 02-10-2009, 10:48 AM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 144
There is a difference between concern and panic. I'm not sure why that seems to be a next to impossible area for most to hit.
Old 02-10-2009, 11:00 AM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 65100
Send a message via Yahoo to rustywagoneersdotcom
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike View Post
There is a difference between concern and panic. I'm not sure why that seems to be a next to impossible area for most to hit.
DING ding ding ding.

This thread reinforces my opinion that many (FAR too many) people only believe history extends as far back as when they started to pay attention.
Old 02-10-2009, 11:10 AM   #16 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 48607
I am concerned but only to an extent. I have kids and a family. I own my own business. My concern is when people clam up. Stop spending in fear of the unknown. We cant stimulate the economy if we all keep our money in our pockets. I prefer cash for everything. For now it is still accepted. I have but one credit card and it is for emergencies. I don't own a home (sold mine in AZ.) and my business is doing ok for now. I don't worry about the little things and i focus on my family. That's all i can really do.
Old 02-10-2009, 11:11 AM   #17 (permalink)
#1 BURRITO IN NM!!!!

Member # 10798
Send a message via AIM to sceep Send a message via MSN to sceep
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverZuk View Post
I am not scared, but only a fool would not "give a shit".
Kind of like not worrying about the forest fire that threatens town because you live out of town.
After the town has burned down - you realize you have no where to go to.
x2

Great analogy.
sceep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 11:17 AM   #18 (permalink)
BAMF

Member # 42606
People always need a good killin! Soon as Andrea goes Officer, and then gets preggo I am enlisting.

Although my current 'job' in the 'defense industry' is secure, I just want to get my service over with, who knows maybe I will stick around for the pension
Old 02-10-2009, 11:26 AM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 53692
I feel like all of this is only worsened every time government gets involved. Government can't fix everything for everyone. Now it has started something that will never end, taking your money to give to someone else that failed.
I'm not worried about the economy, I'm worried about how the government will use the economy to get farther into my pockets.
fcduffy76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 11:41 AM   #20 (permalink)
IH/Rover Moderator

Member # 17
Send a message via ICQ to Old Scout
Quote:
Sounds like you do not have a
Home
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 11:50 AM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 2159
Send a message via ICQ to Supergper Send a message via AIM to Supergper Send a message via MSN to Supergper Send a message via Yahoo to Supergper
While I try to pay attention to the concerns and issues at hand, I think the issues are blown way out of proportion by the media. In turn I think they are making it much worse then it actually is becuase they are spooking all the sheep. I do find it funny though, my company has NEVER posted a profit, we finally posted our first profit ever this last fourth quarter. We're an online retailer. Now if the economy was really as bad as the media wants you to believe it is, there is no way this would have been possible. We set record sales days this last quarter. I know this is one small example but we are an international company that SHOULD be directly affected by a shitty economy.

Last edited by Supergper; 02-10-2009 at 11:50 AM.
Supergper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 12:12 PM   #22 (permalink)

Member # 20850
Send a message via AIM to Wildjon300ci
I'm concerned because I can't find a job and my stash is drying up rather quickly. I guessimated 3 months of no job and working side jobs for spending/food money, and it's about to be the end of the 3rd and my car died (have that planned in the stash...but stash may have to last a lot longer than it was supposed to). Not to say I haven't been trying, started search before I graduated in December and probably have sent at least 50-60 resumes since then.
Wildjon300ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 12:24 PM   #23 (permalink)

Member # 117861
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildjon300ci View Post
I'm concerned because I can't find a job and my stash is drying up rather quickly. I guessimated 3 months of no job and working side jobs for spending/food money, and it's about to be the end of the 3rd and my car died (have that planned in the stash...but stash may have to last a lot longer than it was supposed to). Not to say I haven't been trying, started search before I graduated in December and probably have sent at least 50-60 resumes since then.
If you are still sending resumes... then you are not looking for a job, you are looking for a career. Go apply at McDonald's...

slythorne is offline   Reply With Quote