comforpedic vs tempurpedic - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > General Chit-Chat
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2009, 10:41 PM   #1 (permalink)
Moderhater

Member # 16980
comforpedic vs tempurpedic

so with people who have one of these beds, could you plz give me your opinions on yer beds?

we have been looking at getting a new bed. we have layed down on a ton of beds, and it seems that tempurpedics are a little over-priced for what it is. we layed down on a comforpedic "natural" bed and liked it, BUT cannot find a decent amount of reviews on it. we are comparing the comforpedic "natural" against a tempurpedic "rhapsody". they are built relatively the same, so we are trying to compare apples to apples.

the difference we are seeing is obviously the price. its over 1500 dollars difference, and the comforpedic also has a 5 year longer warranty (25).

so, what does the PBB say? from both halogrinders
Halogrinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 10:44 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 377
I can't help you here as I hate memory foam beds. I like memory foam pillows (standard shaped, not contoured), but I don't like the beds.
east_beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 10:51 PM   #3 (permalink)
Moderhater

Member # 16980
well we seem to be in agreement that we want to get a foam bed, and either way we go, it looks like we're getting 2 free pillows
Old 05-24-2009, 12:20 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 100108
i love my tempurpedic bed, i have it for 5 years. its great you can get in and out without disturbing the person on the other side. i just climb into bed and get in a comfy position and i really don't even move all nite.

when it gets cold the bed does get stiff, but gets softens up in a minuet or two

#1495 in the hammers rally
303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 07:19 AM   #5 (permalink)
Moderhater

Member # 16980
interesting.
Old 05-24-2009, 07:59 AM   #6 (permalink)
Ocean bound

Member # 9925
We looked hard at the various 'foam' beds, and liked them initially. I didn't like the heat retention factor when the foam forms around your forearm, hip, back of head, whatever & it gets all sweaty. Might not apply to all, but we ended up with a sleep # bed & love it. Course her side is like a hot tub with a 1/4" of bubble wrap on top & mine is is like a cement pad.

I do have a foam contoured pillow that seems to help my back/neck injuries, but the only place I have any pimples is on the back of my neck...

Check out our blog. We've bought a trimaran and are headed toward the Panama Canal and beyond this fall. www.losemynumberblog.com
loveshackle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 09:07 AM   #7 (permalink)
avc

Member # 117683
We looked at the memory foam beds but ended up going with a latex foam bed because they are just as comfortable and don't have the heat retaining issue.
avc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 09:21 AM   #8 (permalink)
CJF

Member # 41971
Quote:
Originally Posted by avc View Post
We looked at the memory foam beds but ended up going with a latex foam bed.
Brand and cost?
CJF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 09:26 AM   #9 (permalink)
avc

Member # 117683
I don't remember the brand right now, I can look later if you really want to know. It cost about $1500.
avc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 09:36 AM   #10 (permalink)
Naughty Nurse

Member # 19565
Send a message via AIM to APRILRAZZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveshackle View Post
We looked hard at the various 'foam' beds, and liked them initially. I didn't like the heat retention factor when the foam forms around your forearm, hip, back of head, whatever & it gets all sweaty. Might not apply to all, but we ended up with a sleep # bed & love it. Course her side is like a hot tub with a 1/4" of bubble wrap on top & mine is is like a cement pad.

I do have a foam contoured pillow that seems to help my back/neck injuries, but the only place I have any pimples is on the back of my neck...
The heat build up is causing you to sweat. That is causing your pimples.

The memory foam bed was comfortable but I cant sleep on them because it gets too warm.
"Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results."-Albert Einstein
APRILRAZZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 11:45 AM   #11 (permalink)
Moderhater

Member # 16980
like i was saying, this comforpedic claims to have no heat retention like a tempurpedic.
Old 05-24-2009, 12:55 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 377
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halogrinder View Post
like i was saying, this comforpedic claims to have no heat retention like a tempurpedic.
Bullshit. If it's foam, it'll retain heat. The way memory foam molds to your body is by absorbing your body's heat. The warmer the foam, the softer it gets. The colder the foam, the harder it gets. At or below 50 or memory foam is a brick. Above 80 and it's a mush.
Old 05-25-2009, 05:09 AM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 77137
Look at some Latex beds ....I sell bedding and I've tried them all......its what I sleep on. I like them better than memory foam.
RandyTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 09:14 AM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 27513
I have a tempurpedic. 1st few nights on it were rough adjusting, especially if you are conditioned to having to relocate due to pressure/sag on a conventioonal bed. You lay on this one and it conforms - if you move around a lot at night you will notice it is a bit more difficult to relocate out of the "mold" or "form" you were in... I have not noticed the heat issue, but I run hot anyhow. I quite like it, no pressure points and no bow/sag over time.

Last edited by MZILLA; 05-25-2009 at 09:14 AM.
MZILLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 12:29 AM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 137542
I have a Comforpedic

After a exhaustive search for a new mattress, I purchased a Comforpedic original queen set in Feb. of 09. I tried latex, memory foam, adjustable, coils, & hybrids from Sealy, Simmons, Tempurpedic, Select Comfort, New Englander, and more. After probably trying 100 different mattresses in 12+ stores, we kept coming back to the Comforpedic. It seems to be the only mattress soft enough for my partner, yet firm enough for me at a reasonable price for a foam bed. I have slept on a high end Tempurpedic in the past and really liked it, but could not justify the enormous price tag. Compared to the Tempurpedic, the Comforpedic does not sleep as hot, recovers faster, does not give you that sinking feeling, and doesn't give off a horrible chemical smell when you get it. Supposedly the Comforpedic foam reacts to pressure, compared to the Tempurpedic which reacts to temperature, so not matter what the room temperature is the Comforpedic will have a consistent feel to it. I suffer from horrible back pain, due to an injury & highly recommend the Comforpedic, especially when you use the foam pillows. Compared to the Tempurpedic, the Comforpedic is a good value for a lot less money. I can not comment on the durability & or customer service, since I've only had the bed a few months. But is does have a 25 year warranty. I believe it's 10 years replacement, and after that it's pro-rated for an additional 15 years. I hope this review helps anyone who is mattress shopping. Also, I got 2 free queen+ size foam pillows from Simmons when I bought the Comforpedic. Check their website for details.

Last edited by BabyGorilla; 06-17-2009 at 12:33 AM.
BabyGorilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 12:32 AM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 377
Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyGorilla View Post
After a exhaustive search for a new mattress, I purchased a Comforpedic original queen set in Feb. of 09. I tried latex, memory foam, adjustable, coils, & hybrids from Sealy, Simmons, Tempurpedic, Select Comfort, New Englander, and more. After probably trying 100 different mattresses in 12+ stores, we kept coming back to the Comforpedic. It seems to be soft enough for my partner, yet firm enough for me at a reasonable price for a foam bed. I have slept on a high end Tempurpedic in the past and really liked it, but could not justify the enormous price tag. Compared to the Tempurpedic, the Comforpedic does not sleep as hot, recovers faster, does not give you that sinking feeling, and doesn't give off a horrible chemical smell when you get it. Supposedly the Comforpedic foam reacts to pressure, compared to the Tempurpedic which reacts to temperature, so not matter what the room temperature is the Comforpedic will have a consistent feel to it. I suffer from horrible back pain, due to an injury & highly recommend the Comforpedic, especially when you use the foam pillows. Compared to the Tempurpedic, the Comforpedic is a good value for a lot less money. I can not comment on the durability & or customer service, since I've only had the bed a few months. But is does have a 25 year warranty. I believe it's 10 years replacement, and after that it's pro-rated. I hope this review helps anyone who is mattress shopping. Also, I got 2 free queen+ size foam pillows from Simmons when I bought the Comforpedic. Check their website for details.
If you're happy with it, that's all that matters. You know the old saying, one man's junk is another man's treasure... it couldn't be more correct when it comes to beds. What feels horrible to one may feel great to another. Reading bed reviews is great for finding out things like longevity and whatnot, but when it comes to comfort, everyone is different, so others' opinions shouldn't matter.
Old 06-17-2009, 01:01 AM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 52443
Ok thats it I am studying their marketing. Is this medical super duper bed thing just a fad that will go away?
Old 06-17-2009, 04:34 AM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 137542
Facts!

FACT! Foam and non-traditional bed mattresses currently make up for about 10% off all mattresses purchases within the US. This number will only increase over time as all major bed manufacturers introduce newer & cheaper foam products. From what I was told, Tempurpedic has a price lock on there products, and will not let retailers sell them for less then MSRP, this might be because people in the industry told me that Tempurpedic has a 80% return ratio. Also, to sell Tempurpedic brands, you can not offer to sell any other foam beds with similar specifications in the same showroom. I could not find one showroom that had a Tempurpedic & Comforpedic on display in the same showroom. Tempurpedic is strong-arming the retailers to push their products, and nothing similar.

I do think the Tempurpedic is a good product, but extremely overpriced. For less money you can get a Comforpedic mattress from a US company & manufactured in the US that is just as good, if not better in some regards. Support US companies, we need it now more then ever.
Old 06-17-2009, 05:00 AM   #19 (permalink)
Anphaqueue II

Member # 95025
Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyGorilla View Post
FACT! Foam and non-traditional bed mattresses currently make up for about 10% off all mattresses purchases within the US. This number will only increase over time as all major bed manufacturers introduce newer & cheaper foam products. From what I was told, Tempurpedic has a price lock on there products, and will not let retailers sell them for less then MSRP, this might be because people in the industry told me that Tempurpedic has a 80% return ratio. Also, to sell Tempurpedic brands, you can not offer to sell any other foam beds with similar specifications in the same showroom. I could not find one showroom that had a Tempurpedic & Comforpedic on display in the same showroom. Tempurpedic is strong-arming the retailers to push their products, and nothing similar.

I do think the Tempurpedic is a good product, but extremely overpriced. For less money you can get a Comforpedic mattress from a US company & manufactured in the US that is just as good, if not better in some regards. Support US companies, we need it now more then ever.

What did you pay for your mattress?

We bought a latex mattress with a 5" thick memory foam pillow top (A total of 16" high ).

Cal. King out the door=$1750.

I have no problems with heat spots because the mattress/pillow top combo displaces more of my body than a spring mattress.

One builds up heat spots when pressure is focused on a smaller area.

For the best deal on 8 lug disc brakes click here--> www.lugnut4x4.com
CDA 455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 05:04 AM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 137542
Conforpedic Queen Orifinal

I paid $1450 out the door including delivery for 1 Queen Size Comforpedic Original Mattress, 1 Queen Size Comforpedic Box Spring. And 1 Standard queen metal bed frame. Simmons sent me 2 queen+ memory foam pillows for free as well. I believe my mattress has a 4" memory foam layer on top and a denser foam on the bottom.

Last edited by BabyGorilla; 06-17-2009 at 05:15 AM.
Old 06-17-2009, 05:56 AM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 14072
We have a Tempurpedic and I LOVE it. I am hot-blooded, and I have yet to notice the heat issue, personally. My hands don't fall asleep every night anymore, and (after the first 6 or 7 nights) I require less sleep to feel the same as I did with a regular mattress. I can't say enough about how well I sleep on my bed.
Old 06-17-2009, 06:15 AM   #22 (permalink)
Moderhater

Member # 16980
well to update we bought a cali king "natural" comforpedic for 2800 OTD delivered and couldnt be happier.
Old 06-17-2009, 06:40 AM   #23 (permalink)

Member # 65026
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halogrinder View Post
well to update we bought a cali king "natural" comforpedic for 2800 OTD delivered and couldnt be happier.
It might take you a night or two to get used to it but you're going to love it. I hate to sound like a commercial but I didn't know what it was like to get a good night's sleep until we got ours.

We had a sleep number before, and honestly I'd rather sleep on a cot then ever spend another night on one of those overpriced air mattresses.
misterfubar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 07:12 AM   #24 (permalink)
Moderhater

Member # 16980
we have had it for a week or two. its weird actually.

cant feel wife get in/out of bed.
then again neither can she feel me slip into bed

the cat is now a fucking ninja and can sneak up to your face and do whatever weird shit he does and sniffs your face

you think the biggest bug in the world just landed on you when you feel is whiskers on your face

cat freaks out, you freak out

cat cant feel when you roll over if he's between your legs, so sometimes i can get him back by making him a comforter hotdog and trapping him for a little bit
Old 06-17-2009, 07:31 AM   #25 (permalink)

Member # 40587
Don't forget the Bob-o-pedic
[QUOTE=Dieselmh]I'll cave his fucking head in with a shovel, just to show him that just because he has opposable thumbs, that doesn't put him on the same badassedness level as humans. Stupid arrogant possums. :shaking:[/QUOTE]
The Black Sheep is offline   Reply With Quote