Boat Trailer to Utility Trailer - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > General Chit-Chat
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2009, 11:07 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 36128
Boat Trailer to Utility Trailer

Anyone on here convert a boat trailer to a utility trailer?

I bought a single axle boat trailer this weekend for $75 mainly for the title, but then I got to thinking about converting it into a smaller utility trailer to haul a couple fourwheelers and for other chores.

I think I will have to widen it and also move the axle a bit forward. Boat trailers seem to have the axle farther back than a conventional evenly loaded trailer.

(I am picking up the trailer tomorrow evening so I haven't been able to check it out real close yet.)

[QUOTE=87manche;10827893]just color it in with a sharpie.
[/QUOTE]
COVEJEEPSXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2009, 11:27 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 81214
Your on track
Never Monday is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2009, 11:55 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 28792
I converted one for a buddy of mine.

I welded up a 2'x4'x8' box and welded it to the frame. I don't know what he hauls with it but it all passed inspection at the DMV.
Old 08-31-2009, 04:44 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 3698
Just make the box longer and hang off the back to balence right. If you make it all bolt on, you can take it off and put a boat back on it.
XJJack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-01-2009, 02:33 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 73069
I bought one that my buddy built out of a boat trailer. He didn't move the axle. The deck is 6'x10'. I can put a 4'x8' sheet of plywood in between the wheels. I put 1 quad in at the front side ways & the other straight on.
Tallchevy350 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-01-2009, 08:10 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 36128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallchevy350 View Post
I bought one that my buddy built out of a boat trailer. He didn't move the axle. The deck is 6'x10'. I can put a 4'x8' sheet of plywood in between the wheels. I put 1 quad in at the front side ways & the other straight on.
Any pics?

[/QUOTE]
Old 09-01-2009, 08:15 AM   #7 (permalink)
CMF

Member # 36775
Random picture from the net...

CMF is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-01-2009, 09:10 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 9467
I took a 30' triple axle boat trailer and made it into a double axle car hauler. The main frame rails are 3x5" and the outriggers are 2x4. I left the center open but am currently rebuilding it to a complete flat deck. The outside width is 101". Total weight without tongue box and ramps is 2200#. GVW is 16000# (two 7000# axles and 15% tongue weight with load levelers)
lt1yj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-01-2009, 10:40 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 59807
I converted one a couple of years ago and it works great. I just beefed it up a bunch with square steel tubing and welded sheet steel to the top.

Having the axle way to the rear makes it pull really nice and it definitely makes it a lot easier to back up than a typical small utility trailer.

I'd post up a couple of pics but I don't have a star on this forum. Email me if you want and I can send them to you if you are looking for ideas.
Rhinoliner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-01-2009, 11:44 AM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 76684
We towed our old suzuki lt125 around behind farm equipment with a hitch we welded on front so we could ride the fourwheeler back to the other farm when moving equipment. Just pick the front end up and slide the hitch on. Well, we got a new 425 magnum polaris, and it was too heavy to do that. I took an old boat trailer, welded a few extra crossmembers in it, and topped it with expanded metal, worked great.

Hauler four-wheeler there, unload fourwheeler, hook trailer to fourwheeler, head back.
Old 09-01-2009, 12:16 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 547
yea i did one, the location of the axel was adjustable. There were 4 bolts and several holes were already drilled from the factory..
Old 09-01-2009, 12:25 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 104465
Boat trailers are balanced in the neighborhood of 80% of length in front of axle. This is so with the weight of the outboard at the rear, the extra length in front of the axle ensures enough tounge weight. Not enough tounge weight = fishtailing trailer. Too much tounge weight = trailer that will want to push under the tow vehicle and unload the rear suspension (huh, that equals wreck).

IMO - most uses of the trailer would result in a heavy tounge weight - no biggy if the tow vehicle is heavy. This also translates to a biatch of a time hitching. Look at your hitch/bumper - most stock ones limit tongue weight to about 500-750#. A boat trailer loaded as a hauler could easily push you over that limit.

If it were me, I'd move the axle forward to around 68% for a general purpose trailer.

Last edited by cinco; 09-01-2009 at 12:40 PM. Reason: heh
cinco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-01-2009, 01:14 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 80052
Send a message via MSN to the_experience3006 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience3006
How big is this boat trailer? If it's for an 18+ foot boat no problem. Smaller trailers than that tend to be built pretty light because...well....boats are light. I would suggest reinforcing the tongue a little. When I see those things going down the road the tongue is generally flopping more than Bob Dole's schlong.

[QUOTE=TexasBlake;10305687]She's not that hot. I was just looking for a quick lay and she all wanted to like go on dates and shit.
[/QUOTE]
the_experience3006 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-01-2009, 01:29 PM   #14 (permalink)
Blip Blip Blip

Member # 1041
Send a message via MSN to papee Send a message via Yahoo to papee
I made the one I have now out of a 16 foot boat trailer. I just built the box on then cut off some of the tongue and put on a new hitch. I used aluminum diamond plate for the deck and put on Galvanized "C" channel for the sides.

95 YJ 4.0 HO w/ restrictor cone mod
1 1/2" shackle lift
31" Lanvigator Mud Slingers
papee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-01-2009, 04:35 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 36128
Quote:
Originally Posted by papee View Post
I made the one I have now out of a 16 foot boat trailer. I just built the box on then cut off some of the tongue and put on a new hitch. I used aluminum diamond plate for the deck and put on Galvanized "C" channel for the sides.
Cool. You built the rectangular box then sat it on top of the boat trailer? You mounted the spring hangers to the new frame or old boat trailer?

The trailer I bought is 14', but is super narrow (41"). Looking like I will have to buy a new axle.

[/QUOTE]
Old 09-01-2009, 06:48 PM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 24591
I have one that my MIL gave me to haul off. I plan to shorten the tongue and cut out the center bows and either hack em up and staighten out or replace em and deck it.

I have a 16' tandem axle utility so I plan to cut this one down around 10' or so.
Old 09-02-2009, 12:25 AM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 73069
Quote:
Originally Posted by COVEJEEPSXJ View Post
Any pics?
I don't have any pics of my trailer. The tounge on my has been beefed up. I'll have to measure but I believe that my trailer is a 14'.
Tallchevy350 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.