I "also" :heart: Tractors - Page 4 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > General Chit-Chat
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2009, 09:44 PM   #76 (permalink)

Member # 52569
Send a message via MSN to Juztyn00
Quote:
Originally Posted by k5king View Post
you do know they are worth a LOT of money, even as fucked up as that one is. Shiny and original that lil fucker is worth $10k......

look in the loft of the garage in this pic.... I'd be happy to sell it for $5K and I'd throw in the home made one next to it for free.

Last edited by Juztyn00; 10-02-2009 at 09:46 PM.
Juztyn00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 10:43 PM   #77 (permalink)

Member # 52361
I'm new to owning a tractor, traded a 96 F150 and some cash for a 88ish case 485 with a loader and a gannon, 3cyl international diesel and new tires, makes moving junk a breeze
Then I picked up a late 60s/ early 70s Hyster 4k forklift, with a 4cyl ford on propane, smokes like a train and needs some extensions, but bitchin for loading scrap.
I'm thinking I'll be in the market for a bigger lift soon.
PROJECTJUNKIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 05:45 AM   #78 (permalink)

Member # 107600
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85f150dsel View Post
What size engine is in that?

My dad just picked up an old Montgomery Ward walk behind that he used to use as a kid, as his mother is cleaning the property up.

His is about a 3hp engine, but the actual physical size of the engine is comparable to a 10-15hp of today. Right now he is using sickle mower on it, he has the blade and cultivators.
It still has the original Briggs model "N" engine under the hood. IIRC it was rated at 1 3/4 hp. What year is the Mont. Ward tractor?

Go over to www.smokstak.com and look under the garden tractor section. Plenty of good info and a lot of good folks over there...
boogerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 06:38 AM   #79 (permalink)

Member # 28780
I have a few
My 59 Ford Select-O-Speed

Winter Duty

I also have a Farmall A I am restoring, but no pics on line of it.

I have a pedal tractor too. They can be worth a lot, but the one shown here is worth $250 fixed up. You can get parts for them from a place in SD. new tires, rims, decals, etc...
Old 12-27-2009, 06:42 PM   #80 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 30359
Quote:
Originally Posted by mudtoy67 View Post
I hate that shit too. There's a guy down the road from me who must have 20-30 old tractors and equipment in his yard. I was gonna snap a pic on my way to the barn today, but the weeds are too tall to even see them. All you can see is the numerous no trespassing and do not enter and no solicitation signs.
Managed to snap a pic yesterday...the weeds are dead for the winter and you can just see the tractors peeking through the top. It would probably take a four pics in a row to catch all the tractors and harvesting equipment. Second pic is the "no trespassing" sign on a pickup blocking the driveway.
Attached Images

Quote:
Texan. Saved my neck twice... once after he was dead.
mudtoy67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 07:17 PM   #81 (permalink)

Member # 34606
Send a message via Yahoo to cj5 buggy
thier is a feller down the road that has antique tractr pulls at his place twice a year. Best damn fried pies you'll ever eat.

few pics from the last time we went.

since it was was down the drive way of our old place i drove the 49.
Old 12-27-2009, 07:59 PM   #82 (permalink)

Member # 4733
Send a message via AIM to CRAZY MATT Send a message via MSN to CRAZY MATT Send a message via Yahoo to CRAZY MATT
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhaugen View Post
I have a few
I have the same arps snow thrower for my 641, just not enough snow to try it out yet. How well does it work?
Old 12-27-2009, 08:04 PM   #83 (permalink)

Member # 4733
Send a message via AIM to CRAZY MATT Send a message via MSN to CRAZY MATT Send a message via Yahoo to CRAZY MATT
Couple more of my latest finds

Old 12-27-2009, 09:19 PM   #84 (permalink)

Member # 5473
A friend has a few, six Farmalls all restored and he recently picked up a 50's Ford.

Old 12-27-2009, 09:43 PM   #85 (permalink)
Debauchery Wizard

Member # 80219
I'll get pics soon.
we have a '29 Fordson
a '47 farmall
a '37 case
a '51 David Brown
a '55 Oliver super 55
and a couple 70-80's model Cats
oh, and a 72 case backhoe
EDIT: and a really old deere. 2 cylinder flathead....they called it a popper john

Last edited by BeefCakeScout; 12-27-2009 at 09:45 PM.
BeefCakeScout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 09:53 PM   #86 (permalink)
Community Organizer

Member # 32677
My Dad has a little diesel 1961 Oliver 500 which is basically a David Brown 850 painted green, he bought it back in the early 80s with a bush hog, blade and coonass PTO water pump for $1200. The bush hog had a good gear box but a rusted deck so he pulled the hardware off of it and had a 3/8" aluminum deck built for it which ended up costing him more than the whole tractor did but he's been cutting his 8 acres of land with it ever since. It'll be mine one day, I hope I have the space and need for it so it just doesn't sit... I know I'll never sell it. He's already warned me that he'll come back and haunt me if I ever sell his aluminum bush hog.

Here's what I wish it looked like.

His is in great shape and runs like a brand new tractor but it needs some paint and new brakes/lights. She'll pump out a flooded field like a champ.

Last edited by Soundguy; 12-27-2009 at 10:01 PM.
Soundguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 10:35 PM   #87 (permalink)

Member # 131035
Love the old iron! This has to be the best thread ever! Never thought there would ever be a thread on old tractors.
farmerjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 04:23 AM   #88 (permalink)
I Love Man Pole !!

Member # 126327
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundguy View Post
My Dad has a little diesel 1961 Oliver 500 which is basically a David Brown 850 painted green, he bought it back in the early 80s with a bush hog, blade and coonass PTO water pump for $1200. The bush hog had a good gear box but a rusted deck so he pulled the hardware off of it and had a 3/8" aluminum deck built for it which ended up costing him more than the whole tractor did but he's been cutting his 8 acres of land with it ever since. It'll be mine one day, I hope I have the space and need for it so it just doesn't sit... I know I'll never sell it. He's already warned me that he'll come back and haunt me if I ever sell his aluminum bush hog.

His is in great shape and runs like a brand new tractor but it needs some paint and new brakes/lights. She'll pump out a flooded field like a champ.
My Grandad has a 1966 990 David Brown, that has broken both of my thumbs....No Pwr Steering...Pwr Steering was a $300 'luxury' in '66...did I mention Grandad is a tight ass?
wichita lineman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 10:44 AM   #89 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 143830
Quote:
Originally Posted by k5king View Post
you do know they are worth a LOT of money, even as fucked up as that one is. Shiny and original that lil fucker is worth $10k......

I have a John Deere one Identical to that, with a little tag trailer too, in next to brand new shape. Who wants to give me 10k for it? I have seen them go on ebay for like $150 bucks...
comeoutswingin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 12:44 PM   #90 (permalink)

Member # 28780
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRAZY MATT View Post
I have the same arps snow thrower for my 641, just not enough snow to try it out yet. How well does it work?
I have had it 10 years now and it has worked well for me. I just cleaned out the yard from our 17" snow fall on Saturday. I have to ride the "clutch" (not a true clutch, but it acts like one), but it works pretty well. My 971 Diesel is 48 hp your 641 is less hp so depending on the amount of snow its going to work it harder. The wheel weights help and I run my tire pressures around 12 psi.
Old 12-28-2009, 09:41 PM   #91 (permalink)

Member # 4733
My 641 should do fairly decent for small amounts of snow at the moment till I mod it some more. It has calcium in the rears, then I have a set of front and rear wieghts for it. Rears are 300lbs ea and fronts are 100lbs ea.

Far as power, It might make enough stock is 33hp. It had a blown head gasket when I got it- couldnt tell till it used water finally. I fixed it about a month ago/ hot rodded it a touch. I milled .080" off the head, did some port work and a nice valve job to it. It also was rebuilt at one time - could explain why it runs really well brush hogging. I dunno if it has bigger pistons in it or not tho. I imagine its near 40 hp? It runs way better since I messed with it. Theres lots more power all threw the power band.

The lack of a slow speed problem is gonna be fixed in the next month or so. I bought a howard box for it. Should be slow enough to snow blow, rototill and brush hog/ whatever at a slow speed.

Last edited by CRAZY MATT; 12-28-2009 at 10:34 PM.
CRAZY MATT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 09:50 PM   #92 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 23716
Send a message via AIM to YotaRedneckGirl Send a message via Yahoo to YotaRedneckGirl
Matt, when I get home I'll try to dig up the pic of me plowing snow with your...420?
~ #398 & #101 ~
YotaRedneckGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 10:31 PM   #93 (permalink)

Member # 4733
That was my john deere 50

I dont remember there was pics of that?

Thats been like 6 years ago?
Old 12-28-2009, 10:58 PM   #94 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 23716
Send a message via AIM to YotaRedneckGirl Send a message via Yahoo to YotaRedneckGirl
Quote:
That was my john deere 50

I dont remember there was pics of that?

Thats been like 6 years ago?
You were the one that took the pic I know I've got a digital copy of it on my desktop.
Yeap, I'd figure this time 6 years ago, good memory!
~ #398 & #101 ~
YotaRedneckGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 11:24 PM   #95 (permalink)

Member # 4733
I dont remember taking pics.

I remember more of if I'm gonna get my tractor back
Old 12-29-2009, 05:16 AM   #96 (permalink)

Member # 43079
Quote:

The lack of a slow speed problem is gonna be fixed in the next month or so. I bought a howard box for it. Should be slow enough to snow blow, rototill and brush hog/ whatever at a slow speed.
I would say that is the biggest thing. I have Fergie TO-35 that lived its life on my grandparents farm, my parents place and now mine. It has the High Low gear choices and for snowblowing or brush cutting we usually use low.

Factory HP specs are around 35 for ours, it was rebuilt in the late 70's early 80's, and now has the pleasure of garage living at my place. I would expect any 30HP tractor if you can crawl slow enough to handle it.

My dad does say his 6ft snow blower works better on his new JD though as it is closer to 45 HP and has H, M, L, gear selections. He also said the 4wd negates chains anymore, which I told him good since they are mounted on my tractor.
Old 12-29-2009, 06:29 AM   #97 (permalink)

Member # 44662
Quote:
I have a few

Winter Duty

I also have a Farmall A I am restoring, but no pics on line of it.

I have a pedal tractor too. They can be worth a lot, but the one shown here is worth $250 fixed up. You can get parts for them from a place in SD. new tires, rims, decals, etc...

Is that a snow blower that you use in reverse?

I saw a bunch of old barns on a recent road trip, but not too many tractors. I'm partial to old Ford and Deere tractors, and Farmalls too. I also kinda like Massey 65's.
Old 12-29-2009, 07:37 AM   #98 (permalink)

Member # 28780
Quote:
Originally Posted by PONY_DRIVER View Post
Is that a snow blower that you use in reverse?
Yup its a very common type of blower for use on Ag tractors. Most every farmer around here have them on real tractors with bigger 2 stage versions. With the Select o Speed on mine (fords First Power shift) I have 2 reverse speeds, the slow reverse is still a little fast, but after I get the first pass done I only do half the width (or less depending on the snow depth) so I can keep backing up with out constantly stopping.

Quote:
My 641 should do fairly decent for small amounts of snow at the moment till I mod it some more. It has calcium in the rears
Personally I would get rid of the calcium chloride. I have seen more rims ruined by that stuff on these old tractors. Other than that sound like you have a good setup.
Old 12-29-2009, 07:42 AM   #99 (permalink)

Member # 44662
Quote:
Yup its a very common type of blower for use on Ag tractors. Most every farmer around here have them on real tractors with bigger 2 stage versions. With the Select o Speed on mine (fords First Power shift) I have 2 reverse speeds, the slow reverse is still a little fast, but after I get the first pass done I only do half the width (or less depending on the snow depth) so I can keep backing up with out constantly stopping.

Personally I would get rid of the calcium chloride. I have seen more rims ruined by that stuff on these old tractors. Other than that sound like you have a good setup.

Took a tire off of an old Massey 65 once. It had 100lb weights on the rear wheels and the one tire had water and calcium chloride in it. Got some ion my mouth, friggin salty. LOL That tire damn near crushed me getting it off. I imagine a lot of people have been squashed over the years due to tires and working on equipment around the farm.
Old 12-29-2009, 07:51 AM   #100 (permalink)

Member # 4733
The calcium if on my list of things to eventually get rid of. Im not too worried about it since it had new tires and tubes when I bought it.
I have wheel weights to replace the calcium someday.

I cant complain about the 641. It had 2 new rear tires and a back blade for $800. All it took to get running was some gas and a battery.

Last edited by CRAZY MATT; 12-29-2009 at 08:00 AM.
CRAZY MATT is offline   Reply With Quote