Quickbooks - Printing Invoice showing applied payments - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > General Chit-Chat
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2010, 01:21 PM   #1 (permalink)
For Kayla

Member # 12343
Send a message via AIM to JParuBob Send a message via MSN to JParuBob Send a message via Yahoo to JParuBob Send a message via Skype™ to JParuBob
Quickbooks - Printing Invoice showing applied payments

I've been giving the task of billing at my work. I had a lady call and ask for a copy of her invoice, as she has been making payments on her balance.

I was able to find the open invoice, and the summary showed her current remaining balance, but if I went to print it out, it just showed the original balance. I had to manually add in the money she's paid on it, print it with this, and then delete those as it would have made her balance incorrect.

Example:

Starting balance is $1,000
She's made 2 payments of $200.
Summary says Paid: $400. Remaining Balance: $600.

If I Preview the invoice for printing it simply says $1,000. It does not show the $400 paid, nor that the Balance Due is $600.

Am I missing an easy option or is it more in depth?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley21 View Post
Butt secks isn't for everyone........but it is for me!
JParuBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 01:29 PM   #2 (permalink)
www.SBWinVPS.com

Member # 28540
There is a different option to print out a customers balence, Also they payment had to be applied to THAT invoice for it to work.

What version are you using?

Email, Website and Blog hosting

SBWinVPS We can support your Land Use organization!
98blacktj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 01:31 PM   #3 (permalink)
For Kayla

Member # 12343
Send a message via AIM to JParuBob Send a message via MSN to JParuBob Send a message via Yahoo to JParuBob Send a message via Skype™ to JParuBob
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98blacktj View Post
There is a different option to print out a customers balence, Also they payment had to be applied to THAT invoice for it to work.

What version are you using?
Pro Edition 2009. It should be to that invoice.

Customer Balance Detail could possibly work, but I wanted it in more of an invoice form.

Quote:

Last edited by JParuBob; 01-11-2010 at 01:32 PM.
Old 01-11-2010, 02:09 PM   #4 (permalink)
* The Printer *

Member # 6532
Send a message via AIM to lttlbddy Send a message via Yahoo to lttlbddy
Try "statement" . It will show all of the activity but it identifies payments by invoice #.
lttlbddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 08:25 PM   #5 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 12488
Your payments have not been applied to that specific invoice. If you are 100% sure they have, the only other option is that the data fields on the invoice template have been messed with. Check the template.

Cheers,

Scott
Vallejo, CA 94590
707-643-6757
Unimog/Pinzgauer/Haflinger
singham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 04:47 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 17108
Jamie,

I have 2007, so it may be a little different. Go to your invoice that shows the applied payments and then click on customize in the header bar. This will bring up another window, click on additional customization, then go to footer, you will need to check the "print" box on "payments applied". This should fix your problem or at least send you in the right direction.
Jimmy's 4x4, Nitto Tire, NorthStar, Radflo, Slime, Spidertrax, ATX Wheels, Yukon Gear and Axle, Seeyouonthetrail, Alltech, Pac Racing, Rugged Radios, Sho-Me Speed, John's 4x4, Advanced Metal Fab, PSC, FK, Rigid Industries, Branik, Ouverson, Griffin, AEM, Off-Road Solutions.
Dwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 05:20 AM   #7 (permalink)
For Kayla

Member # 12343
Quote:
Originally Posted by singham View Post
Your payments have not been applied to that specific invoice. If you are 100% sure they have, the only other option is that the data fields on the invoice template have been messed with. Check the template.

Cheers,

Scott
There is absolutely no other invoice it could have been applied to in this particular case. There are 3 payments that have been made. IIRC, Quickbooks automatically applies it to the oldest invoice if you don't specify, and this is the *only* invoice this particular lady has.

Quote:
Old 01-12-2010, 06:08 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 12499
Were her payments posted using the "receive payments" tab? If so, make sure that they are being posted to the correct bank account. Also, when you go to print an invoice, you should have a pop-up that states there are payments made to the invoice. If not, the payments weren't received correctly.
PTSchram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 06:52 AM   #9 (permalink)
For Kayla

Member # 12343
Quote:
Originally Posted by PTSchram View Post
Were her payments posted using the "receive payments" tab? If so, make sure that they are being posted to the correct bank account. Also, when you go to print an invoice, you should have a pop-up that states there are payments made to the invoice. If not, the payments weren't received correctly.
They should have been, and we only have the one bank account for this particular magazine.

What Dwest said seems to be working, but I'm going to have to set up a different template to do it easily.

Quote:
Old 01-12-2010, 07:19 AM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 12499
Quote:
Originally Posted by JParuBob View Post
They should have been, and we only have the one bank account for this particular magazine.

What Dwest said seems to be working, but I'm going to have to set up a different template to do it easily.
If you're not paying attention when receiving payments, those deposits can go off into quickbooks ether. When receiving payments, look in te lower left corner and you'll see what I mean.

When working with templates, make sure to save the one you're using so you can always go back to the unmolested template. Quickbooks is the best small business accounting software I've ever used, but sometimes, there are things it wants to do that just don't seem like the best way to do it. If you don't have an accounting background, even less of it makes sense. I've had to teach one of my sisters and my wife basic double entry accounting just so they can have some understanding of why the software is doing what's it doing.
Old 01-12-2010, 07:29 AM   #11 (permalink)
For Kayla

Member # 12343
Quote:
If you're not paying attention when receiving payments, those deposits can go off into quickbooks ether. When receiving payments, look in te lower left corner and you'll see what I mean.

When working with templates, make sure to save the one you're using so you can always go back to the unmolested template. Quickbooks is the best small business accounting software I've ever used, but sometimes, there are things it wants to do that just don't seem like the best way to do it. If you don't have an accounting background, even less of it makes sense. I've had to teach one of my sisters and my wife basic double entry accounting just so they can have some understanding of why the software is doing what's it doing.
I'm fairly positive that it's fine as far as the accounts go, it's just that the templates are not setup for showing balances. This software gets used for 1/10th of what it could do here.

Quote:
Old 01-12-2010, 07:34 AM   #12 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 49181
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwest View Post
Jamie,

I have 2007, so it may be a little different. Go to your invoice that shows the applied payments and then click on customize in the header bar. This will bring up another window, click on additional customization, then go to footer, you will need to check the "print" box on "payments applied". This should fix your problem or at least send you in the right direction.
This is the correct answer. I've been using quickbooks for almost 10 years and update to the newest version each year. So far the best I can do with mine is print the total amount with the amount due under it. It will not show each payment seperately or show the amount paid, just the amount due. Anyhow, if you have questions you can pm me and I can try to help. But the template and customizing it is your best bet to get what you want. Just not sure quickbooks is going to do exactly what you want in this case.

Oh, and you get a smilie cause my 4yr old wants to see me post a smilie and she is picking out with one for me to post.....good luck
Well I guess she could have picked a worst one.

Check out PARAphernalia GEAR for 550 Paracord and items

www.sneveysoffroad.com/

For the best deal on 8 lug disc brakes click here--> www.lugnut4x4.com

Last edited by Trailer Guy; 01-12-2010 at 07:34 AM.
Trailer Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 07:38 AM   #13 (permalink)
For Kayla

Member # 12343
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailer Guy View Post
This is the correct answer. I've been using quickbooks for almost 10 years and update to the newest version each year. So far the best I can do with mine is print the total amount with the amount due under it. It will not show each payment seperately or show the amount paid, just the amount due. Anyhow, if you have questions you can pm me and I can try to help. But the template and customizing it is your best bet to get what you want. Just not sure quickbooks is going to do exactly what you want in this case.

Oh, and you get a smilie cause my 4yr old wants to see me post a smilie and she is picking out with one for me to post.....good luck
Well I guess she could have picked a worst one.
It seems that it could do at least *part* of what I want. I mainly wanted it to show (at minimum) a total of payments made on the invoice.

Quote:
Old 01-12-2010, 07:41 AM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 12499
Quote:
Originally Posted by JParuBob View Post
I'm fairly positive that it's fine as far as the accounts go, it's just that the templates are not setup for showing balances. This software gets used for 1/10th of what it could do here.
Tell me about it! I finally set up the estimating portion of it and all of a sudden, I'm preparing estimates that are nicer than those I did when I worked for a dealer.

A lot of times, I find the first template I open won't do what I want it to do and starting over from a completely blank sheet is more work than I want, but often-times, you'll find another template that has fewer restrictions or canned reports/formats.

As much as I hate using the manuals for software (if I can't figure it out right away, it goes back), the book for Quickbooks is really pretty easy to use and very helpful.

2009 pro proved to me that I'd learned more in my accounting classes than I thought I had.
Old 01-12-2010, 07:49 AM   #15 (permalink)
For Kayla

Member # 12343
Quote:
Tell me about it! I finally set up the estimating portion of it and all of a sudden, I'm preparing estimates that are nicer than those I did when I worked for a dealer.

A lot of times, I find the first template I open won't do what I want it to do and starting over from a completely blank sheet is more work than I want, but often-times, you'll find another template that has fewer restrictions or canned reports/formats.

As much as I hate using the manuals for software (if I can't figure it out right away, it goes back), the book for Quickbooks is really pretty easy to use and very helpful.

2009 pro proved to me that I'd learned more in my accounting classes than I thought I had.
Long story short I just got given this as-is. I'm fairly certain that no one tried to use QB to its full potential here. It's just used for very basic things.

Quote:
Old 01-12-2010, 09:26 AM   #16 (permalink)
In GOD we trust. USA

Member # 15480
Just call customer service.

Ha ha haaaa and bring a bag of money!

<-- AVATAR for Concealed Carry Weapons permits in the U.S. over time: No issue / May issue / Shall issue / Constitutional carry- No restrictions / FROM 1986 to today
NoJoke is offline   Reply With Quote