Directv HD receiver? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > General Chit-Chat
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2010, 09:26 AM   #1 (permalink)
Wickedly Uncool

Member # 4135
Directv HD receiver?

I just upgraded to Directv HD at my house, so all my receivers are now HD with the new HD dish.... So the cabin in Chama has a regular directv dish. We used to just take a receiver from home and use it to watch tv when we were up there, now with the HD receivers I'm not sure that will work. Can we use the HD receiver we now have and the standard def dish at the cabin to watch standard def tv when we go up? We're going up for the Super Bowl, so I'd like to figure it out before then It's a 4 1/2 hour drive up there so it's not something I can really do easily before hand.
With a bit of luck, his life was ruined forever. Always thinking just behind some narrow door in all of his favorite bars, men in red woolen shirts are getting incredible kicks from things he'll never know.
wheelerfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 09:32 AM   #2 (permalink)
Creepy, Old Stalker

Member # 2059
Have you called Direct TV?
Old 02-01-2010, 09:32 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 149396
It's kinda hard to say. It depends on what dish you currently have. Go outside and look at it. Does it say "SWM" on it?

If it does then you'll have to "repeat satellite setup" every time you move it.

If it doesn't, then all you have to do is unplug it, take it with you, and plug it back in..

Just keep in mind, that with the standard 18" dish you wont get HD.
Old 02-01-2010, 09:36 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 149396
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chister View Post

He doesn't have to, I work there.

Last edited by The Luke; 02-01-2010 at 09:37 AM.
The Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 09:38 AM   #5 (permalink)
Creepy, Old Stalker

Member # 2059
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Luke View Post
He doesn't have to, I work there.
Noice.
Old 02-01-2010, 09:41 AM   #6 (permalink)
Wickedly Uncool

Member # 4135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chister View Post
No, I wasn't home last week when they installed the new Dish. I called CS and talked to a rep from another continent that wasn't helpful.

Quote:
It's kinda hard to say. It depends on what dish you currently have. Go outside and look at it. Does it say "SWM" on it?

If it does then you'll have to "repeat satellite setup" every time you move it.

If it doesn't, then all you have to do is unplug it, take it with you, and plug it back in..

Just keep in mind, that with the standard 18" dish you wont get HD.
I'm OK with having to run the setup if we have to and OK with no HD.... it is a cabin in the mountains afterall We go up about 6-8 times a year and usually don't spend much/any time watching tv up there. But now for the SB I'd like to watch the game, and theres about 2' of snow to limit the fishing and hiking that normally takes place.
With a bit of luck, his life was ruined forever. Always thinking just behind some narrow door in all of his favorite bars, men in red woolen shirts are getting incredible kicks from things he'll never know.
Old 02-01-2010, 09:48 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 149396
Setup is very easy to run anyways.

menu, "fav's and setup", "system setup", "sat and antenna", repeat sat setup, follow the steps, put your dish as "round 18" dish"..

Just keep remember to change all that back whenever you put it back in your casa or else it wont work.
Old 02-01-2010, 10:05 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 3245
Just buy another dish off CL...
Old 02-01-2010, 10:30 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 149396
I wish him luck sighting in an hd dish for the first time if he goes that route.
Old 02-01-2010, 10:34 AM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 21100
Quote:
I wish him luck sighting in an hd dish for the first time if he goes that route.
Why? Isn't there a process similar to SD?
Old 02-01-2010, 10:46 AM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 149396
Kinda. With standard you aim at a 45 degree angle towards the southwest. You have to hit one satellite. No big deal. Hd you have to hit a minimum of 3 satellites. It can be done, but there is a reason there are four companies that make "satellite finders" that can cost a couple thousand.

I'm not saying it can't be done, but your average Joe who has never sited a dish in before will most likely still be attempting to get it about 4 hours after the super bowl
Old 02-01-2010, 11:00 AM   #12 (permalink)
Ocean bound

Member # 9925
There's a lot more to it, & it depends on a # of factors.

1) Decide which receiver you're taking to Chama. Much easier with an HD Receiver than an HD-DVR.

2) Look at the back & see if there is only 1 coax going into it, or 2. And do they have B-Band Converters on the two wires (black box about 1.5" x 1.5" x 6").

3) If it's only one coax & you're taking an "H" reciever, not an "HR" receiver, just go through the setup.

4) If there's 2 coax and/or it's an HD-DVR, either change which one you take or change dish in Chama.

5) Easiest answer is buy a D12 basic receiver to leave there. $5/mo if you leave it on all the time.

I run the DirecTV retailer in Pagosa, PM me if you need any assistance. Chama is well within our area & I have 2 FT installers on staff.

Check out our blog. We've bought a trimaran and are headed toward the Panama Canal and beyond this fall. www.losemynumberblog.com
loveshackle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 12:31 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 149396
He already said its just an hd. Even if it was an hd/dvr you can still hook those up on one line. Whether you are losing features or running off a swm dish. Why would he spend $69 on a d12 and spend an extra sixty a year just to watch it a couple times a year?
Old 02-01-2010, 05:15 PM   #14 (permalink)
Wickedly Uncool

Member # 4135
I'm taking the HD receiver up, not the HD DVR. I had already mounted an old 18" round dish up there last summer. Got lucky and had 97% signal strength the first try just by eyeballing it. We had been just taking up the standard receiver when we went, but switched to all HD last week so I was worried that the new HD receiver wouldn't work with the old style round dish.

Luke, the new dish at my house just says Directv slimline, no SWM anywhere on it that I could see. Thanks for the help!
Old 02-01-2010, 07:06 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 149396
No problem man
Old 06-27-2010, 04:50 PM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 163108
Sorry to Highjack this thread

Hi...

I am hoping that someone can help.

Yesterday we got hooked up with DTV. I previosly had dish network. I told the tech that I had a couple of old DTV dishes at our cabin and I was wondering if I could tak one of the single recievers up there when we are on vacation. He said they would work with the 18" round dishes. The recievers are H24-100.

I have been trying to hook one of them up and cannot find the signal. I have the direction and angle set as close as I can with a compass and using the gauge of the pipe. The pipe is plumb.

I have the reciever set on 18" dish and using a multiswich type. I turn on the receiver...it eventually goes to code 771 "searching for signal". I go into menu and setup to set it to the correct dish type and switch type and then hit continue. It verifies connection and then tells me that it could not detect a signal and I should verify the set up. I can't get beyond this no signal at all....

I appreciate any help I can get with this...

Hartwa.
hartwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 04:54 PM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 163108
I forgot to mention that the dish they installed does say SWM on the LNB....thanks.
hartwa is offline   Reply With Quote