Diesel trucks-the ricers of the future. - Page 7 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum
 
Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > General Chit-Chat
Notices

Reply
 
Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-24-2010, 10:22 PM   #151 (permalink)
Registered User
 
1wd B-series's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Member # 128287
Location: Littleton, CO
Posts: 568
Send a message via AIM to 1wd B-series
Quote:
Originally Posted by howyadoin View Post
I run 5" turbo back, out the side, behind the passenger's rear tire. I only turn up the tuner all the way up in one specific situation...when there's a Prius next to me.
__________________
Colorado Emissions questions about your rig? Ask me!
All answers legal only
1wd B-series is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 10:26 PM   #152 (permalink)
Registered User
 
steven-o's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Member # 122487
Location: willits ca
Posts: 113
I always wanted to build a dakota with a 4bt in it
__________________
97 Cummins 4x4, starwheel turned, no plate, blocked wastegate, 33"
88 Wagoneer 6.5" lift, 33's SOLD
steven-o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 10:45 PM   #153 (permalink)
W6FTW
 
NorCalPR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Member # 133266
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 1,680
Black smoke just equals wasted horsepower. It's just unburned fuel...

YouTube - Diesel Performance: 7.77 sec @ 180 mph

^Banks Sidewinder S10, 7.77
__________________
NorCalPR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 10:53 PM   #154 (permalink)
Registered User
 
steven-o's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Member # 122487
Location: willits ca
Posts: 113
Banks is one of the few/only company all about no smoke
and if it is wasted HP, then why do the 99% of the diesel dragsters pour smoke down the track?
__________________
97 Cummins 4x4, starwheel turned, no plate, blocked wastegate, 33"
88 Wagoneer 6.5" lift, 33's SOLD

Last edited by steven-o; 05-24-2010 at 10:59 PM.
steven-o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 04:29 AM   #155 (permalink)
Juggernaut
 
Camarogenius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Member # 49232
Location: Longview, TX
Posts: 2,400
Send a message via Yahoo to Camarogenius
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven-o View Post
Banks is one of the few/only company all about no smoke
and if it is wasted HP, then why do the 99% of the diesel dragsters pour smoke down the track?
Because the excess fuel helps cool the EGT's down.
__________________
SECEDE!

What this world needs is less "Tolerance", and more Ass Whoopin'.
Camarogenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 07:27 PM   #156 (permalink)
Registered User
 
steven-o's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Member # 122487
Location: willits ca
Posts: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camarogenius View Post
Because the excess fuel helps cool the EGT's down.
__________________
97 Cummins 4x4, starwheel turned, no plate, blocked wastegate, 33"
88 Wagoneer 6.5" lift, 33's SOLD
steven-o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 07:47 PM   #157 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Member # 20331
Location: CO, USA
Posts: 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven-o View Post
Banks is one of the few/only company all about no smoke
and if it is wasted HP, then why do the 99% of the diesel dragsters pour smoke down the track?
Cause they don't have thousands of dollars of R and D to figure out how to go 180mph with no smoke.

I'm not a fan of smoking out the highway or anything but nothing wrong with too much fuel on the drag strip, unless you smoke out the lights.
fullsize80cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 07:55 PM   #158 (permalink)
Registered User
 
steven-o's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Member # 122487
Location: willits ca
Posts: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullsize80cherokee View Post
Cause they don't have thousands of dollars of R and D to figure out how to go 180mph with no smoke.

I'm not a fan of smoking out the highway or anything but nothing wrong with too much fuel on the drag strip, unless you smoke out the lights.
well of course, i dont agree on that it is wasted hp tho
__________________
97 Cummins 4x4, starwheel turned, no plate, blocked wastegate, 33"
88 Wagoneer 6.5" lift, 33's SOLD
steven-o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 08:40 PM   #159 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Member # 68986
Posts: 73
Normally when you see a full bodied diesel truck going down the dragstrip without smoking it is because of the use of Nitrous. And going back to the person who made the comment about not being a grocery getter, or being able to do anything besides go down the track i would like to point out that yes there are some track only trucks, but alot of these guys that are running 11's, and even 10's in the 1/4 mile are driving these trucks daily. Right now one of the quickest fords running (the canadian truck) is a 4door short bed 4x4 that runs 10.56's. After the weekend is up the guy puts a set of different injectors in the truck, and drives it daily. With his daily driven tunes its still a 600hp plus diesel. Alot of these trucks are also on stock headgaskets with head studs only. You would be surprised what these trucks can do, if you would look someplace else than a 4x4 forum for information on diesel performance.

and yes tons of black smoke is dumb and a huge waste unless its got a purpose. such as racing.

And here is a link to a thread similar to this one. Its got a shit ton of dumb stacks in it. http://powerstrokenation.com/forums/...ght=rediculous
my79f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 10:46 PM   #160 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Member # 69594
Location: Roy/Eatonville ,Washington
Posts: 949
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven-o View Post
well of course, i dont agree on that it is wasted hp tho
Unburnt fuel going out the exhaust isn't wasted hp?
__________________
Nothing happens when you die.
TrikeKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 11:05 PM   #161 (permalink)
Registered User
 
steven-o's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Member # 122487
Location: willits ca
Posts: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrikeKid View Post
Unburnt fuel going out the exhaust isn't wasted hp?
No, its more like wasted diesel, not wasted hp, having smoke isnt gonna affect the hp, well if it smoke way too much you can "put the fire out" in the cylinders. other then that you have to get lots more fuel and air to get higher hp numbers
__________________
97 Cummins 4x4, starwheel turned, no plate, blocked wastegate, 33"
88 Wagoneer 6.5" lift, 33's SOLD

Last edited by steven-o; 05-25-2010 at 11:06 PM.
steven-o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 01:06 AM   #162 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Member # 9264
Location: Galveston, TX
Posts: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven-o View Post
No, its more like wasted diesel, not wasted hp, having smoke isnt gonna affect the hp, well if it smoke way too much you can "put the fire out" in the cylinders. other then that you have to get lots more fuel and air to get higher hp numbers
How many commas can you put into a sentence before 1) Adding a semicolon or 2) Create a new sentence. ?

Let me guess, you're French-Canadian
__________________
MonteCunto can Kissimmee my ass...
4RunnerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 06:16 AM   #163 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Member # 24475
Location: Menomonie, WI
Posts: 1,165
Send a message via ICQ to JeffsJeep04 Send a message via AIM to JeffsJeep04
Quote:
Originally Posted by my79f View Post
Normally when you see a full bodied diesel truck going down the dragstrip without smoking it is because of the use of Nitrous. And going back to the person who made the comment about not being a grocery getter, or being able to do anything besides go down the track i would like to point out that yes there are some track only trucks, but alot of these guys that are running 11's, and even 10's in the 1/4 mile are driving these trucks daily. Right now one of the quickest fords running (the canadian truck) is a 4door short bed 4x4 that runs 10.56's. After the weekend is up the guy puts a set of different injectors in the truck, and drives it daily. With his daily driven tunes its still a 600hp plus diesel. Alot of these trucks are also on stock headgaskets with head studs only. You would be surprised what these trucks can do, if you would look someplace else than a 4x4 forum for information on diesel performance.

and yes tons of black smoke is dumb and a huge waste unless its got a purpose. such as racing.

And here is a link to a thread similar to this one. Its got a shit ton of dumb stacks in it. http://powerstrokenation.com/forums/...ght=rediculous
Trust me, there are plenty on here that know a shit ton about diesel performance. Swapping out injectors after running down the strip sounds like an awful lot of work to make a daily drivable truck. It DOES crack me up that the ford guys have kinda made their own class...It's REALLY fast (for a ford).
JeffsJeep04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 06:37 AM   #164 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Dieselmh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Member # 6417
Posts: 4,103
Send a message via Yahoo to Dieselmh
No new pics, but I didn't almost wreck my work truck yesterday, trying to get a pic of another diesel ricer. Some high school kid with a single stack that had to be at least 8 inches in diameter and not quite centered, but not quite on the side of the bed area. It smoked like he was burning mattresses under the hood for power.
Dieselmh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 06:41 AM   #165 (permalink)
Hoghead
 
TRNDRVR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Member # 27141
Location: Utah - Alaska
Posts: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by qcjeeper View Post
Here's some real trucks drag race...

YouTube - Nicolas Gagnon Rodéo du camion 2007

Those thing are over 135 000 lbs gross...


(yes..i know..the music suck... )
No safety concerns there!!!
__________________
I drive a train
TRNDRVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 06:49 AM   #166 (permalink)
Knee Grow Brewer
 
southern k5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Member # 25230
Location: Georgia/Iowa
Posts: 3,192
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camarogenius View Post
Because the excess fuel helps cool the EGT's down.
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven-o View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven-o View Post
No, its more like wasted diesel, not wasted hp, having smoke isnt gonna affect the hp, well if it smoke way too much you can "put the fire out" in the cylinders. other then that you have to get lots more fuel and air to get higher hp numbers
You laugh at him, but completely contradict overself here. You are both right to a point. Certain trucks, really only trucks running a mechanical injection pumps can flow enough fuel to do it. ie p7100, sigma, ect. But guys running these pumps can put out so much fuel thatll put out the fire a little and actually cool the exhaust temps, but again you have to have a stout injection pump and big injectors.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffsJeep04 View Post
Trust me, there are plenty on here that know a shit ton about diesel performance. Swapping out injectors after running down the strip sounds like an awful lot of work to make a daily drivable truck. It DOES crack me up that the ford guys have kinda made their own class...It's REALLY fast (for a ford).
I can swap my injectors out in less than an hour, lot of guys do it that run 12v's electronically controlled diesel really dont need to do this do to, being able to "turn it down", at leats with the Cummins guys, I know nothing about Fords.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hef View Post
I refuse to let ignorant, emotional "thinking" create public policy that infringes upon my constitutional rights, especially when such policy has already failed and caused the very incident thy compels the ignorant to cry for more of the same.
southern k5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 06:55 AM   #167 (permalink)
Registered User
 
TheTonka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Member # 8294
Location: In a house with a brewery.
Posts: 2,080
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonka1 View Post
I ride on 24.5's and roll coal every chance i get....FUCK CARB!
Thanks for being an asshole. It's because of assholes like you and your attitude towards CARB and your self-righteous opinion that you should be able to do whatever the fuck you want that I have to now smog my diesel truck. It's also because of assholes like you that the push to "crack down" on diesel truck emissions is nation wide. Bottom line is that if less assholes like you were out "rolling coal" on the street there would be far less attention and push to force the light duty diesel truck world into a hippie, tree hugging, irrational, cage of emissions compliance.

I don't have a problem with a little smoke, even from a turned up diesel, especially when under a really heavy load. I don't have a problem with a lot of smoke on the track, though I do think it creates a bad image and a lot of the smoke is completely unnecessary and due mostly to laziness or incompetence. What I do have a problem with is assholes who think thumbing their nose at the CARB and EPA is going to do anything other than push them into making everyone's life a lot more difficult.

So to those of you who intentionally "roll coal" at every opportunity because you think you are cool or are trying to make a statement I say FUCK YOU!
__________________
If life gives you lemons, throw them at the stupid people.
TheTonka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 06:58 AM   #168 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Member # 24475
Location: Menomonie, WI
Posts: 1,165
Send a message via ICQ to JeffsJeep04 Send a message via AIM to JeffsJeep04
Quote:
Originally Posted by southern k5 View Post
You laugh at him, but completely contradict overself here. You are both right to a point. Certain trucks, really only trucks running a mechanical injection pumps can flow enough fuel to do it. ie p7100, sigma, ect. But guys running these pumps can put out so much fuel thatll put out the fire a little and actually cool the exhaust temps, but again you have to have a stout injection pump and big injectors.

I can swap my injectors out in less than an hour, lot of guys do it that run 12v's electronically controlled diesel really dont need to do this do to, being able to "turn it down", at leats with the Cummins guys, I know nothing about Fords.
I've never torn into a ford either, but I've heard damn near everything on them is a huge bitch to work on, that's more what my comment was to.
JeffsJeep04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 06:59 AM   #169 (permalink)
Knee Grow Brewer
 
southern k5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Member # 25230
Location: Georgia/Iowa
Posts: 3,192
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffsJeep04 View Post
I've never torn into a ford either, but I've heard damn near everything on them is a huge bitch to work on, that's more what my comment was to.
Not when you lift the cab.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hef View Post
I refuse to let ignorant, emotional "thinking" create public policy that infringes upon my constitutional rights, especially when such policy has already failed and caused the very incident thy compels the ignorant to cry for more of the same.
southern k5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 07:10 AM   #170 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Member # 24475
Location: Menomonie, WI
Posts: 1,165
Send a message via ICQ to JeffsJeep04 Send a message via AIM to JeffsJeep04
Quote:
Originally Posted by southern k5 View Post
Not when you lift the cab.
If you don't think lifting the cab of a truck in the midwest is a bitch, I gots news for you


JeffsJeep04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 07:26 AM   #171 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Dieselmh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Member # 6417
Posts: 4,103
Send a message via Yahoo to Dieselmh
You sons of bitches are fucking up my diesel rice (drice, ricesel ) thread.
Dieselmh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 07:32 AM   #172 (permalink)
Knee Grow Brewer
 
southern k5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Member # 25230
Location: Georgia/Iowa
Posts: 3,192
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselmh View Post
You sons of bitches are fucking up my diesel rice (drice, ricesel ) thread.
Please contact Dieselmh, he's the head of the complaint department.... O, nevermind.



Sorry had too.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hef View Post
I refuse to let ignorant, emotional "thinking" create public policy that infringes upon my constitutional rights, especially when such policy has already failed and caused the very incident thy compels the ignorant to cry for more of the same.
southern k5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 07:34 AM   #173 (permalink)
Granite Guru
 
kc8ksg's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Member # 135367
Location: WV
Posts: 973
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselmh View Post
You sons of bitches are fucking up my diesel rice (drice, ricesel ) thread.

For threads that go off topic you need to PM dies... oh nevermind

I am gonna go with ricesel, like it better than drice.


edit: son of a bitch, southern K5 beat me to it I R slow
__________________
.,_________
//_|__l__\\___\ ____
l_/ \’ _|’ __/ \_ llllll

_(o))-o-))(o))--o))

Last edited by kc8ksg; 05-26-2010 at 07:35 AM.
kc8ksg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 07:38 AM   #174 (permalink)
Boats 'n' Does
 
toymoto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Member # 24296
Location: Southside, Single Wide
Posts: 6,776
Quote:
Originally Posted by my79f View Post
if you would look someplace else than a 4x4 forum for information on diesel performance.



Fuck you.
toymoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 07:41 AM   #175 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Member # 120561
Location: Boise, ID
Posts: 71
Send a message via AIM to Tonka1
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTonka View Post
Thanks for being an asshole.
Buddy i drive an 2009, pete with weed burners and dummy stacks, because of carb... so blow me!
__________________
Live the low life, put it in the dirt!
Tonka1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:26 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.