Small, quiet, self contained, 120 volt air compressor? - Page 2 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > General Chit-Chat
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2010, 03:46 PM   #26 (permalink)

Member # 7647
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundguy View Post
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...y_logo.svg.png

Sniper Fab
4x4Oil SBwinVPS Custom Splice C2GFab
apeters89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 04:00 PM   #27 (permalink)

Member # 108445
40db & $600
20db & $680 also available with wheels and telescoping handle ($870)
rocket flier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 04:31 PM   #28 (permalink)
Community Organizer

Member # 32677
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocket flier View Post
40db & $600
NOW we're talking! I'll give them a call in the AM, I haven't given the woman my credit card number yet for the Jun-air
Soundguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 04:46 PM   #29 (permalink)
Overbear is a coward

Member # 20631
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonmt View Post
Once you price out a Jun-Air you might decide to look at something like this:

http://www.airbrushcity.com/2222_dig.htm
Why don't you build a little box to enclose it in? You know like a vocal booth in a studio. Line it with sonex, and use a computer fan to cool it. That's what I did with my Viair that I use for my ARB, it's mounted in an ammo can, and the fan runs when the compressor runs.

Are you coming out for InfoComm?
Old 06-07-2010, 04:54 PM   #30 (permalink)

Member # 83256
Send a message via MSN to Stonecoast Send a message via Yahoo to Stonecoast Send a message via Skype™ to Stonecoast
Quote:
40db & $600
The problem with the airbrush compressors is they normally aren't high enough pressure. Most are between 30 and 60 psi. Those didn't have pressure specs that I could find.

*edit*... oops.. guess the first, louder one, is 114 psi...

Last edited by Stonecoast; 06-07-2010 at 04:55 PM.
Stonecoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 05:06 PM   #31 (permalink)
Community Organizer

Member # 32677
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc Doc View Post
Why don't you build a little box to enclose it in? You know like a vocal booth in a studio. Line it with sonex, and use a computer fan to cool it. That's what I did with my Viair that I use for my ARB, it's mounted in an ammo can, and the fan runs when the compressor runs.

Are you coming out for InfoComm?
I really don't want to mod anything, I don't want to have to do any work on whatever I buy so that if it dies we can just order a replacement. I don't travel to all of these shows and I want to do less if possible.
Old 06-07-2010, 05:40 PM   #32 (permalink)

Member # 108445
Yeah, the first one was to 110psi, the second I thought I saw a psi number, but cannot find it nor Whisper's website. All of the links come back to Blick's, so call them. Wheels would be handy for the airport.

Not to start the bitching and whinning again, but if you can get an aircompressor with a tank on a plane, what about 2 air tanks ($80) and some sort of portable compressor to run off the rent-a-car or in the hotel room? Charge both tanks and swap them during the show, recharging one in a back area or car during a break.

5gal $25 or
11gal $38
12v, 140psi(?) $60

Last edited by rocket flier; 06-07-2010 at 05:46 PM. Reason: booth->both
rocket flier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 06:09 PM   #33 (permalink)
Overbear is a coward

Member # 20631
Quote:
I really don't want to mod anything, I don't want to have to do any work on whatever I buy so that if it dies we can just order a replacement. I don't travel to all of these shows and I want to do less if possible.
Undermotherfuckingstood!
Old 06-07-2010, 06:15 PM   #34 (permalink)

Member # 4878
Send a message via ICQ to Travis Waldher Send a message via MSN to Travis Waldher Send a message via Yahoo to Travis Waldher
Quote:
Just setup a network of mechanically and electrically inclined PBB'rs for a first response.

Imagine them calling, and you saying.. yeah, I got peoples, I'll have one there in an hour.
Travis Waldher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 06:34 PM   #35 (permalink)
Community Organizer

Member # 32677
Quote:
Yeah, the first one was to 110psi, the second I thought I saw a psi number, but cannot find it nor Whisper's website. All of the links come back to Blick's, so call them. Wheels would be handy for the airport.

Not to start the bitching and whinning again, but if you can get an aircompressor with a tank on a plane, what about 2 air tanks ($80) and some sort of portable compressor to run off the rent-a-car or in the hotel room? Charge both tanks and swap them during the show, recharging one in a back area or car during a break.

5gal $25 or
11gal $38
12v, 140psi(?) $60
I get what you're trying to do and I really do appreciate it but this isn't something I'm going to be around to set up most of the time. I need something I can put a 2 line laminated instruction sheet with and throw in a road case. This compressor isn't something I would fly with from show to show, it would get packed into the semi truck that we ship from show to show. I can't expect a bunch of sales retards to fill air tanks with a pump up in a hotel room and bring it down or anything even close to that. I need a quick coupler on the air line to the compressor and a color coded plug for the power... even that is asking a lot of these people.

If it were me doing this all the time it wouldn't be a problem but I'm trying to get away from traveling to all of these shows. As long as they don't try to run it sideways I'm almost sure they can handle a simple compressor.
Old 06-07-2010, 06:35 PM   #36 (permalink)
Community Organizer

Member # 32677
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Waldher View Post
Just setup a network of mechanically and electrically inclined PBB'rs for a first response.

Imagine them calling, and you saying.. yeah, I got peoples, I'll have one there in an hour.
I'm already doing that with audio setup with Roc Doc in Vegas.
Old 06-07-2010, 06:48 PM   #37 (permalink)

Member # 41250
Quote:
I looked at that but they're still in the 59dB range which is pretty loud for a trade show floor.

well, you could get a Senco pc1010 and put it in a vented box. I run one for trimwork and I've had people think it was their fridge when it was in the rolling toobox.

Edit: nevermind, i was looking up specs when the other stuff was posted.

Last edited by makya; 06-07-2010 at 06:50 PM.
makya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 07:18 PM   #38 (permalink)

Member # 91648
Quote:
This compressor isn't something I would fly with from show to show, it would get packed into the semi truck that we ship from show to show.
Use that to your advantage. If its going to be moved around by a truck, build the compressor into a vented sound-reduced box. with a recessed, covered panel with air connections and your set for air and sound requirements. Cart it in and just plug it in. Hell, if you get a smaller compressor, make a box within a box to muffle it further if necessary. MDF, high density foam, and a series of holes around it for venting will do a decent muffling job. Hell, a partially perforated sheet metal cage with high density foam glued to the insides does a heck of a job reducing the percieved sound.

Alex.
GMGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 07:21 PM   #39 (permalink)

Member # 4878
Send a message via ICQ to Travis Waldher Send a message via MSN to Travis Waldher Send a message via Yahoo to Travis Waldher
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMGuy View Post
Use that to your advantage. If its going to be moved around by a truck, build the compressor into a vented sound-reduced box. with a recessed, covered panel with air connections and your set for air and sound requirements. Cart it in and just plug it in. Hell, if you get a smaller compressor, make a box within a box to muffle it further if necessary. MDF, high density foam, and a series of holes around it for venting will do a decent muffling job. Hell, a partially perforated sheet metal cage with high density foam glued to the insides does a heck of a job reducing the percieved sound.

Alex.
It's for a show, often times you don't have someplace to hide a box like that. so you either end up prettying it up somehow or covering it anyway.

It would just be easier to spend the $600-1300 per compressor so you dont' have to mess with it.

Besides, being a marketing thing, I really doubt that is remotely near a budget buster.
Old 06-07-2010, 07:30 PM   #40 (permalink)
Community Organizer

Member # 32677
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Waldher View Post
It's for a show, often times you don't have someplace to hide a box like that. so you either end up prettying it up somehow or covering it anyway.

It would just be easier to spend the $600-1300 per compressor so you dont' have to mess with it.

Besides, being a marketing thing, I really doubt that is remotely near a budget buster.
This compressor will cost me less than I spend for 1 show to rent compressed air and compared to renting a 24 hour 200amp power drop this isn't even a full drop in the bucket. You are also right about location, this will need to live up on top of the booth ceiling so building a box and all of that won't really work. Add in the fact that if it breaks I don't want it to be stuck inside of some wooden box that I built in my garage.
Old 06-07-2010, 07:32 PM   #41 (permalink)
Community Organizer

Member # 32677
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMGuy View Post

Alex.
Hell I could buy an old just truck, install an engine driven OBA system and run a couple thousand feet of air hose from the parking garage/loading dock to our booth each time we do a show... what could go wrong?
Old 06-07-2010, 07:36 PM   #42 (permalink)

Member # 4878
Quote:
Hell I could buy an old just truck, install an engine driven OBA system and run a couple thousand feet of air hose from the parking garage/loading dock to our booth each time we do a show... what could go wrong?
Well, the union would get pissed about you running a line through. Maybe not in every venue, but sooner or later.

Then the fire marshall will get pissed about this line running across teh floor being a trip hazard. Can't put it in the ceiling of course to make the fire marshall happy, see the first reason.

If it was across the floor, someone would tire of it and disonnect or cut it to get it out of their way.

And, finally, you'de be tired at the end of the day, hop in the truck to head to the hotel. The loud crash, bank, and tug would remind you of what you forgot. Everyone else would kill your for tearing everyone's displays apart.

Old 06-07-2010, 07:39 PM   #43 (permalink)
Community Organizer

Member # 32677
You're right... if only there were an easier, self contained, 120V device that could product compressed air without making a lot of noise that I could buy off the shelf and never have to think about again.

Oh wait.

Old 06-07-2010, 07:45 PM   #44 (permalink)

Member # 4878
I'm just remembering the old days of setting up displays, but mostly setting up and running large scale high profile presentations.

On one hand I miss it as I got instant gratification... on the other, not really.
Old 06-07-2010, 08:13 PM   #45 (permalink)

Member # 88705
Have a twin screw compressor where I work, Alup Kompressoren, its basically a super charger, so all you here is a whine from that and the electric motor. Think it was just over $7,000 though.
Syncros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 08:25 PM   #46 (permalink)
Community Organizer

Member # 32677
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syncros View Post
Have a twin screw compressor where I work, Alup Kompressoren, its basically a super charger, so all you here is a whine from that and the electric motor. Think it was just over $7,000 though.
Have you thought about using a CO2 tank instead?
Old 06-07-2010, 08:36 PM   #47 (permalink)
Pura Vida

Member # 42720
Usually I'm not a huge Dewalt fan but I bought one of these a few years ago and it is sweet. You can stand right beside it and have a conversation no problem. 150 psi and a 2 gallon tank so it shouldn't need to run that often anyways. They have a 1 gallon model of it that is likely a bit quieter yet.

It's also damn light and easy to carry around.

http://www.dewalt.com/tools/compress...ic-d55141.aspx

THE MEEK SHALL INHERIT NOTHING

www.normalguysnetwork.com

Last edited by ChaseYJ; 06-07-2010 at 08:37 PM.
ChaseYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 08:38 PM   #48 (permalink)

Member # 88705
Quote:
Have you thought about using a CO2 tank instead?
yeah refilling a tank every 45 seconds would be just great.
Syncros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 08:40 PM   #49 (permalink)
Community Organizer

Member # 32677
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaseYJ View Post
Usually I'm not a huge Dewalt fan but I bought one of these a few years ago and it is sweet. You can stand right beside it and have a conversation no problem. 150 psi and a 2 gallon tank so it shouldn't need to run that often anyways. They have a 1 gallon model of it that is likely a bit quieter yet.

It's also damn light and easy to carry around.

http://www.dewalt.com/tools/compress...ic-d55141.aspx
That thing was tested at 79dB, that's WAY too loud. This is a medical trade show, not something loud like SEMA.
Old 06-07-2010, 10:21 PM   #50 (permalink)

Member # 4073
You're doing pneumatic brakes at a medical trade show?