Anybody have Dry-Loop DSL? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > General Chit-Chat
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2010, 07:41 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 41250
Anybody have Dry-Loop DSL?

Any problems? I'm thinking about dropping my home phone and going VOIP. Did you get charged more for the DSL service?

I know some people had problems with skype, what else is out there for reliable VOIP.
Old 07-27-2010, 07:55 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 29728
Dry loop here, not a problem in the world...

$29.95 gets me 1.1/512 and no solicitation calls at home :-)

We use our cell so no VoIP. I have never had a problem with my Skype though so I don't know where you heard that
'48 cj2a SN#208638
salt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 07:56 AM   #3 (permalink)
Who stole my title?

Member # 70825
When the FCC said they had to provide dry loop they didn't dictate the price. Most of the time dry loop is at best a few $ less than dsl with phone.
void_of_light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 08:08 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 41250
it's $39.99 for dsl, or $65 with a phone line tacked on.
Old 07-27-2010, 08:30 AM   #5 (permalink)
Who stole my title?

Member # 70825
Quote:
Originally Posted by makya View Post
it's $39.99 for dsl, or $65 with a phone line tacked on.
That's a lot better than I had heard. I would jump on it. If VOIP doesn't work for some reason, you can always add a line to it later.
void_of_light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 08:42 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 41250
plus, with what I'm reading, the taxes and surcharges don't apply, so we save another $15 on top of that.
Old 07-27-2010, 09:06 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 6152
Send a message via AIM to lsloth
I hate our local phone company, dsl with no analog voice is alot more than just dsl with analog voice.

Last edited by lsloth; 07-27-2010 at 09:07 AM.
lsloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 09:11 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 6417
Send a message via Yahoo to Dieselmh
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsloth View Post
I hate our local phone company, dsl with no analog voice is alot more than just dsl with analog voice.
That's because when you buy "dry" or "naked" dsl, the Telco loses the subsidy that they normally get because it's not considered a "phone" line anymore. In order to turn a profit, they have to charge more.
Dieselmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 09:13 AM   #9 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 18283
I was wondering what dry loop dsl was but from the responses I'm gathering DSL w/ no voice service

Count me in there 37.95/month for me for 1.5mpbs costs me $5/month more than w/ voice AT&T is my provider. My choices are commiecast, and clearwire for cell based high speed. Clearwire is roughly the same price & speed with less reliable service. comcast is higher even if I bundle it with other services, Currently I'm using over the air broadcast for TV and cell for voice calls.
Old 07-27-2010, 09:32 AM   #10 (permalink)
I'm the boss

Member # 3220
Send a message via Yahoo to Renee
Dry DSL is fine. VOIP however sucks balls.
Renee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 09:48 AM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 6152
Send a message via AIM to lsloth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselmh View Post
That's because when you buy "dry" or "naked" dsl, the Telco loses the subsidy that they normally get because it's not considered a "phone" line anymore. In order to turn a profit, they have to charge more.
I can understand that to a certain extent. But being rural I suspect she gets some subsidies for providing rural internet. Also even if you don't make as much money on them, some profit is better than none. So far every customer has turned down the offer so that customer that will never come back. Any small telco that thinks POTS will keep them running are fooling themselves.
lsloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 09:55 AM   #12 (permalink)
Poseur SUV

Member # 610
Send a message via ICQ to Paul Gagnon
From what I've seen at work VoIP is mega bandwidth-intensive. Are you sure it's going to work over a DSL line?
Paul Gagnon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 10:06 AM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 6417
Send a message via Yahoo to Dieselmh
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsloth View Post
I can understand that to a certain extent. But being rural I suspect she gets some subsidies for providing rural internet. Also even if you don't make as much money on them, some profit is better than none. So far every customer has turned down the offer so that customer that will never come back. Any small telco that thinks POTS will keep them running are fooling themselves.
Nope, no subsidies are given to the Telcos for internet. At least not yet. They're lobbying for it now. Telcos are often forced to provide services to areas that they normally wouldn't service because it's not profitable. Because the gov't makes them provide this service, they get money. For right now, it's only on POTS lines though, not internet. No one is going to offer service at a price that loses them money. There's no point. People don't understand that the initial cost of turning up dsl is thousands of dollars per port. If the Telco can't make that money back in a few years, there's no point in even providing the service.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Gagnon View Post
From what I've seen at work VoIP is mega bandwidth-intensive. Are you sure it's going to work over a DSL line?
It's not really that bandwidth intensive, but it relies heavily on your provider having a good network and a good uplink. If they have much latency, your VOIP will suck and there's nothing you can do about it.
Dieselmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 10:07 AM   #14 (permalink)
www.SBWinVPS.com

Member # 28540
VOIP need about 80 kbps dedicated to function correctly. If you start compressing it you can use less.

Email, Website and Blog hosting

SBWinVPS We can support your Land Use organization!
98blacktj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 11:33 AM   #15 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 38193
Oop, nevermind. I thought you said "Dry Loop LSD"
Old 08-29-2010, 08:44 PM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 10700
Send a message via AIM to Co Pilot Send a message via Yahoo to Co Pilot
I went searching for this thread because we are thinking of dropping our home phone service... so pardon my dumb questions, but how exactly is this accomplished?

I have Verizon phone service and Verizon DSL for my computer.

anyone know if Verizon will allow me to have the DSL line without a normal home phone connection???

if not, what are my options?
Old 08-29-2010, 08:53 PM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 4033
I have it for my service. It's $30 a month for the middle speed service though AT&T. If I wanted I could drop down to the $24.99 service. I like it a lot since I just use my cell as my phone. The only issue I had was Dish Network told me they were going to charge me $5 more a month because I didn't have a phone line. I told them to yank my service then, I wasn't paying more for that reason. Suddenly the fee was waived. Oh and when I need a home phone, I have a Magic Jack for that reason.

Last edited by ChevyGal; 08-29-2010 at 08:54 PM.
ChevyGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 08:54 PM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 29527
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee View Post
I prefer sloppy wet DSL.

But anyhow

We have VOIP on our cable service and it's great. What kinds of problems do you have with it?
Old 08-29-2010, 09:56 PM   #19 (permalink)
www.SBWinVPS.com

Member # 28540
Quote:
Originally Posted by Co Pilot View Post
I went searching for this thread because we are thinking of dropping our home phone service... so pardon my dumb questions, but how exactly is this accomplished?

anyone know if Verizon will allow me to have the DSL line without a normal home phone connection???

You need to see if your phone and internet are bundled in a package. If they are call VZ and see what it will be for just DSL. Some places like speak easy call it "onelink" their might be other local names also just FYI.

Email, Website and Blog hosting

SBWinVPS We can support your Land Use organization!
98blacktj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 12:03 AM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 4878
Send a message via ICQ to Travis Waldher Send a message via MSN to Travis Waldher Send a message via Yahoo to Travis Waldher
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98blacktj View Post
VOIP need about 80 kbps dedicated to function correctly. If you start compressing it you can use less.
I think the biggest issue home users have with VoIP, and the least understood is simple latency.
Travis Waldher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 05:10 AM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 140312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Co Pilot View Post

I have/had dry DSL with Verizon. It's not Fairpoint, but the same deal.

Basically, it's just DSL with no phone. You pay a little more, but I have a cell, and wouldn't use the land line much anyway.
sometoyotaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 05:36 AM   #22 (permalink)

Member # 48146
When the hospital, I work at, signed the contract for att dsl internet service. There was a clause, no voip service allowed. They throw that shit into the contract even if it goes against FCC rules.
Bluetick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 06:19 AM   #23 (permalink)

Member # 13012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee View Post
A proper installation of voip kicks ass.

Skype sucks balls, I use it from time to time when I have to be on long conference bridges for work, that way I can use a good comfortable usb headset. Im about to say fuck skype and just run my Cisco Ip Communicator soft phone which I have zero problems with.
lincontaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 10:13 AM   #24 (permalink)

Member # 10700
Send a message via AIM to Co Pilot Send a message via Yahoo to Co Pilot
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98blacktj View Post
You need to see if your phone and internet are bundled in a package. If they are call VZ and see what it will be for just DSL. Some places like speak easy call it "onelink" their might be other local names also just FYI.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sometoyotaguy View Post
I have/had dry DSL with Verizon. It's not Fairpoint, but the same deal.

Basically, it's just DSL with no phone. You pay a little more, but I have a cell, and wouldn't use the land line much anyway.

just got off the phone with Verizon.

I am currently paying $24.98 a month for DSL on my regular home bill, Dryloop DSL will cost me $10 bucks more a month at $34.99

But... the only people that seem to ever call on the house line are telemarketers anyways. Everyone we know calls us on our cells, so whats the point of keeping the home phone .... its going!
Old 08-30-2010, 10:38 AM   #25 (permalink)

Member # 86724
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselmh View Post
usually the cost for fixed expenses is included in te POTs service as well, like paying for the line maintenance and the electricity bill at the building that houses the equipment. Drop the phone service and the internet service costs more because now they're charging you for the maintenance and other such.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Waldher View Post
I think the biggest issue home users have with VoIP, and the least understood is simple latency.
yes, and running a bit torrent client 24/7 without any kind of QOS and wondering why their phone calls are all choppy

If you want to do VOIP, and want it to be bulletproof you need QOS. Cheapest way to get it is one of these:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-026-_-Product

flashed with this:
www.dd-wrt.com

Last edited by 87manche; 08-30-2010 at 12:23 PM.
87manche is offline   Reply With Quote