Clarksburg WV - info - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > General Chit-Chat
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2010, 10:26 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 53092
Clarksburg WV - info

Anyone around Clarksburg WV?
Company has an opening up there I am considering. Wondering what
the area is like. Trying to arrange a trip up that way soon...but thought some advance advice might help me to convince the wife.
Schools? 1 in HS, will be a sophmore next yr.
Things to do?
Hunting regulations and access?
economy in general?
Weather? winter/summer
offroading/racing?

Thanks
Mike
mgoodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 10:54 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 1930
Hunting would be small game(rabbit, squirrel, etc) whitetail deer, turkeys, bear, some boar. www.wvdnr.org for seasons and regulations.

Weather, cold and shitty from late November to Mid March. Some snow, lots of cold rain, sleet up that way. Spring and fall are usually nice. July-August is hot and Very humid, very very humid at times.

Economy in general? you dont want to know but cost of living is very cheap. Seriously though the economy in WV is primarly coal based, when coal is booming WV is doing well, when coal is down WV is down. We have a fairly steady economy, we do not get the drastic boom/bust cycles other states get. We are just low/slow all the time.

Offroading--to be honest it will pale in comparison to CO, shoot everything will recreation wise. Absolutely No OHV areas, Most land is private, trails are sparse unless you like dirtbikes or ATV's, the Hatfield McCoy trail system is one of the best in the country.

Racing- depends on what you like. Tons of harescramble series, bikes/atvs. A lot of dirt ovals, a few drag strips. A decent amount of MX, some go cart tracks here & there. CLose to a lot of good nascar tracks if you like that crap.

Other things to do, camping, hiking, backpacking, fishing, good mountain biking all over the state. Monongahela national forest encompasses most of the eastern half of the state. There are some ski resorts a couple hours from Clarksburg, skiing will completely suck compared to CO. we get little to No powder, lots of man made snow, tons of ice, 6-12" of fresh stuff is an "epic day" around the slopes here. Often its wet heavy slow snow. Resorts usually open after Thanksgiving and close by the end of march. Most do offer excellent mountain biking though.

If you have a street bike WV has some of the best riding in the east. Good Dual sport riding as well.

The clarksburg area is OK, definitely not my favorite part of the state.

Last edited by YJ4RoX; 11-01-2010 at 10:55 AM.
YJ4RoX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 10:58 AM   #3 (permalink)
Heat Wrench Hero

Member # 84582
We in West Vahginny we gots us a wal mart.

Its one of the bigger towns up that way other than Fairmont and Morgantown which are all pretty close together. Theres plenty of schools to choose from since Harrison county has 6 different high schools ,just depends on where you live. The summers are humid and the winters vary over the years ,usually average +15 to 20 temp with little to moderate snow. As far as things to do your in Wv so your not far from anything outdoor recreation wise. But its got your normal stuff shopping places to eat. Hunting there are public lands and access ,never used them or know where they are but they exist. And you wanna go offroading ..... pick a back road, theres whetstone ,5 points ,parsons, long run, wildcat, butchers fork, theres a bunch of places get on jeepinwv.com they can fill you in on all the places to wheel. The only racing really left is dirt track and that leaves you with elkins motor speedway and tyler county all the rest have been shut down cause its a dying sport around here there are some go cart tracks and stuff. And on any given weekend there are mud bogs here and there during the summer but anyways not a bad place to live.

http://www.facebook.com/p00ch

http://www.facebook.com/HBDOR

Last edited by ffp00ch214; 11-01-2010 at 11:02 AM.
ffp00ch214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 11:07 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 1930
Yes there is plenty of offroading on abandoned county roads, but its still just some mud with greasy rocks thrown in, more and more gates pop up quite regularly. Nothing that compares to CO wheeling.

The best wheeling/rocks would be a 5+ hour tow to Harlan, ky or head North to PA. really depends on your rig & what you are used to.
Old 11-01-2010, 11:20 AM   #5 (permalink)
Hillbilly Houndsman

Member # 13420
Things to do?
If you like small time, rural type lifestyle, there is fishing, hunting, different festivals, etc.

Hunting regulations and access?
Firearms laws are fairly uniform with other "free states". They aren't tight but not exceptional loose.

economy in general?
Not really great. There are niches, and good solid long-term jobs. However, this isn't a growing/thriving area. It has one speed slow forward. When the rest of the country booms, we go slow forward. When the rest of the country is sinking, we still go slow forward.

Weather? winter/summer
You have 4 seasons. Winter you will have a few weeks of weather down in the teens, some times down to zero. Negative temps are so rare they are a novelty.
Spring is from the end of March until about the first of May. You will still have some snow in March, and still have frost some nights in early may. Summer is humid.
Everyone says it is hot, but really the temps don't go into the 90's often. There will usually be a week or two that they are in the 90's. Most of the time it is high 80's with high humidity. Fall starts around the first of October. You can expect frost in October, but generally snow doesn't come until November. The fall colors are nice and the weather if perfect. Winter generally hits around the first of December. You can count on snow, and weeks at a time that there is snow on the ground. A big snow is over 12", and usually we will have melts between snow falls. Some years you will have snow on the ground from November to March, but at times it is just scattered patches in the shade. It isn't like feet deep.

offroading/racing?
There are several clubs in the area and prlenty of places to wheel. We don't have the Rubicon with thousands of people, but generally there is coal and timber land that doesn't restrict access. People hunt, and offroad service roads (plenty of them due to the gas industry), and ride ATVs. In the southern part of the state we have the Hatfield and McCoy trail system for ATV's, motorcycles, etc. They don't allow vehicle access.
Get on www.MountaineerOffroad.com to find some more local info. I live north of Charleston (about 100 miles from Clarksburg).

Clarksburg is a small town with no much going on. Strong italian influence from 100 years ago that is still present. I wouldn't have any desire to live in the town limits.
If you go Rt 50 west or away from the interstate you will find larger tracts of property relatively cheap (compared to what you are used to).

There is a "rails to trails" mountain bike and hiking path that goes from Clarksburg to Parkersburg. My wife and I enjoyed riding it when we rode. The railroad grades aren't steep, and it followed rivers and creeks most of the way. It is very rural.

If you go east of Clarksburg, you get into mountains. Not like colorado mountains, but 4000' elevation mountains. There is plenty of national forest to hunt and fish, and woods access.

www.MountaineerOffroad.com
SilverZuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 12:39 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 129728
It's a good place to raise a family ...

I live in Weston ... about 20 miles south of Clarksburg ...

http://www.stagger4x4.com

has a ride that I'll be taking the family on this weekend ...

http://www.stagger4x4.com/forum/view...&t=1995#p20141

(i'm not sure if you need to be a member to log on)

http://www.jeepinwv.com

is another local group ...

there is also a group in the southern part of the state ...

http://www.mountaineeroffroad.com/

Last edited by wv85bronco; 11-01-2010 at 12:40 PM.
wv85bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 01:44 PM   #7 (permalink)
Hillbilly Houndsman

Member # 13420
I manage projects in Weston/Lewis County.
I'll be up tomorrow to do some testing.

We also have a camp near Ireland WV. I wouldn't consider moving many places (I have roots where I am). However, I've told my wife if a specific job came open in Weston that I might bid on it, and relocate.

www.MountaineerOffroad.com
SilverZuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 02:06 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 53092
Thanks guys...
if I can get them to send me out that way to check it out, I may just
take them up on it.
While I love it here in CO, I'm always up for an adventure and something
new.
I run dirt oval tracks, love small town life, don't mind mud bogs, and prefer to spend my time fishing and hunting. Sounds like I could live there by your descriptions.

M
Old 11-01-2010, 02:24 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 139169
Like previously stated, if you are looking for a safe place to raise a family and spend time outdoors WV is perfect. If you are looking for a big metro type area, go some place else. WV is the kind of place where sitting on the front porch in the afternoon is still a favorite past time.
amacjarrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 03:13 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 104943
Wv is a good place to live. Im about 30 min from clarksburg where i live. About 10 min from where i work to there. Basically anything you need to get by here. All the big chain stores along with a mall and a variety of other stores. Check out www.jeepinwv.com or www.mountaineeroffroad.com
crazyredneckanyhow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 03:15 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 53092
I am so far off from being a city guy...
I live in Durango, CO... 4 corners area. Far from metro or even city for that
matter.
and Porch sitting would be perfect ... enjoy an nice cold one and a cigar!

My biggest concern would be the schools. Our HS, while small, is a good school and my kids have done great there. Oldest is about to graduate and go into the Marine Corp, Youngest is a freshman this year and plays football, wrestles, plays baseball and is active in several clubs with aspirations of getting into the US Naval Academy.

Having something for him is my biggest concern.... his biggest concern is "will be be able to hunt Dad?"
Old 11-01-2010, 03:16 PM   #12 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 135367
Everything's basically been covered, only thing I can add is property in Clarksburg, and Bridgeport is pretty high for the area. If you move about 30 minutes to the east, west or south you will cut property prices almost in half and taxes will only be about 1/3 of what they are in Harrison county (the county Clarksburg is in).

_(o))-o-))(o))--o))
kc8ksg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 03:27 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 139169
I'd figure since there's a possibilty you ethier work for the FBI , lockheed Martin or a oil and gas company. I can't say precisely for that section of the state but I know that the majority of the schools in my area are blue ribbon nationally recognized schools. Like mentioned earlier your best bet is to find some property outside of town. Urban sprawl in that area has drove prices up.
amacjarrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 08:14 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 18675
Send a message via Yahoo to bspencer
Quote:
Originally Posted by YJ4RoX View Post
Yes there is plenty of offroading on abandoned county roads, but its still just some mud with greasy rocks thrown in, more and more gates pop up quite regularly. Nothing that compares to CO wheeling.

The best wheeling/rocks would be a 5+ hour tow to Harlan, ky or head North to PA. really depends on your rig & what you are used to.
keep forgetting that you dropped out of the club before we got the Good Evening Ranch Off Road park open.......

if you are referring to Rock racing Rausch Creek will be about 4.5 hours from Clarksburg and ECORS may be coming to WV as well

[QUOTE=SilverZuk;11225540]You forgot the 3 rules.
1. If she is below your standards - drop your standards.
2. If she is ugly early - start drinking early.
3. No woman is ugly with your dick in her mouth.[/QUOTE]
[size="5"][COLOR="Red"]Spotter Team 304 MudRiver Motorsports[/color][/size] traded the rig
bspencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 06:14 AM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 129728
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverZuk View Post
I manage projects in Weston/Lewis County.
I'll be up tomorrow to do some testing.

We also have a camp near Ireland WV. I wouldn't consider moving many places (I have roots where I am). However, I've told my wife if a specific job came open in Weston that I might bid on it, and relocate.

small world ...

I've been wheeling around Wildcat since 1981 ....
Old 11-02-2010, 06:32 AM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 1930
Quote:
Originally Posted by bspencer View Post
keep forgetting that you dropped out of the club before we got the Good Evening Ranch Off Road park open.......

if you are referring to Rock racing Rausch Creek will be about 4.5 hours from Clarksburg and ECORS may be coming to WV as well
I have been to GER many times when they still had GNCC races there.
Old 11-02-2010, 07:35 AM   #17 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 20502
Eastern Panhandle Wheeling

Not much to add about Clarksburg but you can add "Big Dogs" to the off road list, located in Gore VA. Not far from Paw Paw WV. They offer great wheeling a few times a year at a private camp ground.

Remember the Naval Academy takes students from every state and a lot of times you have a better chance coming from a small low population state like WV.

Summit Point racing offers a road course for cars and bikes

Last edited by jeepcj; 11-02-2010 at 07:37 AM.
jeepcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 08:08 AM   #18 (permalink)
TEX

Member # 603
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgoodman View Post
don't mind mud bogs
www.wvmudracing.com
Extreme Performance
www.kmelectronics.com
Bear Creek Auto Recyclers
www.svrehorsepower.com
TEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 08:21 AM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 1930
there is a naval base in wv as well. Its near Sugar Grove. One of my all time favorite places in this state.

just a few pics of eastern wv, over in the mountains. Lots of bear hunting in this area. Just a couple hour drive from Clarksburg area.

on the wv/va border

Spruce Knob

highest point in WV

plenty of trout streams

cool little towns
Old 11-02-2010, 08:22 AM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 1930
nice rivers in the central part of the state too

plenty of color in the fall

did i mention fishing

Old 11-02-2010, 08:28 AM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 1930
lots of backroads

plenty of deer, too many deer actually, and some counties are getting infested with turkeys, seriously infested.

countless secluded camping spots

Overall a great place for outdoor recreation.

SZ's phrase of "slow forward" is spot on for WV, especially rural WV.
Old 11-02-2010, 08:49 AM   #22 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 20502
great pictures

Makes me want to sing take "Me home Country Roads"

Oh add good white water rafting
jeepcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 09:18 AM   #23 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 30842
I'm about 20 minutes from Clarksburg.

If you want to hunt and fish, you are 1 to 2 hours from the best hunting and trout fishing in the state, as well as some of the best scenery.

As far as wheeling goes, Good Evening Ranch and Swiss are within 2 hours. Rausch Creek is about 4 hours away. As mentioned before, there is also plenty of county roads and such where you may need 4x4, but there isn't much to them. In January and February there are plenty of roads in the Dolly Sods and Canaan Valley area with no snow removal, and feet of snow. They can be really fun too.

There are still a fair amount of dirt tracks around also.

Check out JeepinWV.com and Mountaineeroffroad.com for more information also.
JV post #80
Tellico post #925
WVHeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 09:19 AM   #24 (permalink)
TEX

Member # 603
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepcj View Post

Makes me want to sing take "Me home Country Roads"
Shit, I was just thinking that
Extreme Performance
www.kmelectronics.com
Bear Creek Auto Recyclers
www.svrehorsepower.com
TEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 12:17 PM   #25 (permalink)

Member # 53092
Man.. the pictures alone grab my interest.

Clarksburg wasn't anything more than a town I picked in the rough area
where I was told to look. I'm with Oil/Gas, office is near Clarksburg.

I'd have no issues living 30-40 miles from the office. I drive 60 miles 1 way now into New Mexico for work and I usually make trips to the remote offices for this district as well at least once a month.