My smoker trailer fabrication story... grinding, cutting and welding oh my! - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > General Chit-Chat
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2010, 09:18 AM   #1 (permalink)
Community Organizer

Member # 32677
My smoker trailer fabrication story... grinding, cutting and welding oh my!

So the story starts off with my buddy sending me an email about a smoker trailer he saw for sale on a fishing website he spends time on. He had a couple pictures of a decent looking smoker on wheels and the guy was selling it dirt cheap. I told him to buy it for me while I was out of town and I'd figure out what to do with it.

When I first saw it up close I realized how big of a POS the trailer portion was. The smoker itself looks solid and well built but it appears that someone cut the legs off of it and wanted it mobile. The "axle" was a piece of pallet rack with some spindles welded to it. The main trailer beam that ran from the axle to the hitch was a combination of 7 different pieces of scrap that had been welded together. This what I started with.

I guess it was too narrow so they flipped the wheels around to make things wider. Because the lug nuts had nothing to sit in it wallowed out the holes on the wheels and just about ripped the studs off both hubs. I have no idea how it made it in one piece on the 30 mile trip home.

The main chamber and the fire box is made from 24" pipe 1/2" thick and capped on the ends with 3/4" thick plate. The smoker itself looks nice, it just needs a good cleaning to get the rust off.

This is how it looked on Halloween day when I put it in the back yard. We plan on trying it out for Thanksgiving so I didn't have a lot of time to get it rolling.
Soundguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 09:22 AM   #2 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 6417
Send a message via Yahoo to Dieselmh
Clean it off really good, then heat it up and oil it inside and out with peanut oil. It'll keep it from rusting any worse until you get it finished and can properly clean it and paint it. After the paint cures, heat it up and oil it again. I haven't painted mine since I built it a few years ago and the firebox is just now starting to rust. I oil it about every 3 cooks or so.
Dieselmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 09:23 AM   #3 (permalink)
Community Organizer

Member # 32677
I'm trying to spend as little as possible on this thing so if I ever turn around and sell it I can get my money back. I had some 2.5" 1/4" wall drill pipe laying around so I decided to use that to make the main trailer frame. I also picked up some 2" square 3/16" tube for all the cross members since I didn't feel like notching 2.5" pipe all over the place.

I cut a bunch of shit off of it like the old BBQ grill burner they had tack welded to the front end. I picked up a 3500lb axle kit with springs and hangers and started building the frame. I wanted to lower the pit about 1' from where it sat before because it was way too high.

I left it sitting on the original axle while I built the new frame around it. The old stuff isn't straight or level or anything so I basically leveled the pit surface and built around it ignoring everything else.
Old 11-17-2010, 09:24 AM   #4 (permalink)
Community Organizer

Member # 32677
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselmh View Post
Clean it off really good, then heat it up and oil it inside and out with peanut oil. It'll keep it from rusting any worse until you get it finished and can properly clean it and paint it. After the paint cures, heat it up and oil it again. I haven't painted mine since I built it a few years ago and the firebox is just now starting to rust. I oil it about every 3 cooks or so.
I'm just going to have a buddy sand blast it once I'm done. There's about 5 coats of paint on the pit that are starting to flake off and the pipe I used has been sitting outside for about 25 years so it has a little surface rust as well.
Old 11-17-2010, 09:25 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 4142
Is it reverse flow? Must be with the stack location.
Old 11-17-2010, 09:28 AM   #6 (permalink)
Community Organizer

Member # 32677
So this morning I supported the new frame all the way around and cut most of the old crap off of it. I then realized that the axle wasn't actually welded to the fire box at all, just the 2 supports on the sides held it together.

This is how it sits right now.

I really want to get the spring hangers on it and have it sitting on the axle today. I picked up a 2" bulldog hitch for it but I'm not sure what I'm going to do on the front end for the hitch area. I have a bunch of 2.5" pipe and 2" square tube left. I want enough space to put a propane bottle up front because I'm going to add a burner to the fire box and on the side for cooking. I'm also going to put a counter top on the back side of the smoker with room for wood underneath.

Last edited by Soundguy; 11-17-2010 at 09:31 AM.
Old 11-17-2010, 09:30 AM   #7 (permalink)
Community Organizer

Member # 32677
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut2 View Post
Is it reverse flow? Must be with the stack location.
Yes it is but the smoke stack from what i can tell isn't actually welded to the pit. It's 8" square 1/2" thick wall tube that's bolted to the side of the pit with 4 small bolts. My plan is to take it off, clean up the area and weld it on. I also want to replace the hot plate on top of the fire box with something a lot thicker.

Once I get it rolling I'll start a fire to see where all the leaks are, I'm no great welder but the guy who built this thing must have been blind.
Old 11-17-2010, 10:32 AM   #8 (permalink)
Resident Beekeeper

Member # 36707
Send a message via AIM to CJesse7 Send a message via Yahoo to CJesse7
i started a 20"x60" RF with a warmer. im going to start a build thread when i get a little more progress

My Reverse Flow BBQ Pit Build
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/gener...pic-heavy.html
CJesse7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 10:35 AM   #9 (permalink)
waterboy

Member # 9086
seems like you woulda been better off just building it all.... since you pretty much are now
Old 11-17-2010, 10:41 AM   #10 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 6417
It's gonna need a bigger air intake vent, otherwise you're going to have to leave the door open to get the temp up if you want to cook chicken or something else that requires higher heat.
Old 11-17-2010, 10:49 AM   #11 (permalink)
Community Organizer

Member # 32677
Quote:
It's gonna need a bigger air intake vent, otherwise you're going to have to leave the door open to get the temp up if you want to cook chicken or something else that requires higher heat.
I was thinking that too, I want to add an upright box to the end but it's a reverse flow so I'd need to split the smoke between the exhaust and the new box. Once it's rolling I'll fire it up and see what it does temp wise.
Old 11-17-2010, 10:50 AM   #12 (permalink)
Community Organizer

Member # 32677
Quote:
Originally Posted by surveyboy View Post
seems like you woulda been better off just building it all.... since you pretty much are now
I got it dirt cheap, a lot less than I could get just the pipe for around here unless I waited a long time. When it's all said and done I'll have less than $500 in it total and the axle kit with fenders was $150.

I've been looking for pipe for a while, haven't found anything worth the drive.
Old 11-17-2010, 10:51 AM   #13 (permalink)
Resident Beekeeper

Member # 36707
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundguy View Post
I was thinking that too, I want to add an upright box to the end but it's a reverse flow so I'd need to split the smoke between the exhaust and the new box. Once it's rolling I'll fire it up and see what it does temp wise.
you could put it over your fire box, and vent your smoke through it.

Old 11-17-2010, 10:54 AM   #14 (permalink)
Community Organizer

Member # 32677
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJesse7 View Post
you could put it over your fire box, and vent your smoke through it.
I was thinking about putting it on the other end of the main box and put a baffle on the main vent so I could shut it and force everything through the upright box. A couple tuning plates at the bottom would make it easy to force the smoke through however I want.

I'm talking waaaaay far ahead of myself, it's sitting on an old tire and a stack of firewood right now.
Old 11-17-2010, 11:01 AM   #15 (permalink)
Resident Beekeeper

Member # 36707
here is where i went for ideas....great site, lots of friendly people.

http://thesmokering.com/forum/index.php

Old 11-17-2010, 11:09 AM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 85481
Quote:
What's the best way to paint one of these things? My firebox it rusted pretty good, it's 1/4" thick, no fear of burn through or anything, just looks like shit. I'd like to paint it, but dread how long I'm going to be out there with a grinder trying to grind it smooth and clean.
Old 11-17-2010, 11:15 AM   #17 (permalink)
Marion Cobretti

Member # 40131
Good motivation here to redo my dad's 20+ year old smoker.
72blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 01:51 PM   #18 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 6417
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcbroom View Post
What's the best way to paint one of these things? My firebox it rusted pretty good, it's 1/4" thick, no fear of burn through or anything, just looks like shit. I'd like to paint it, but dread how long I'm going to be out there with a grinder trying to grind it smooth and clean.
I never worry about getting it smooth. The pipe we used for mine was already pitted with rust. I just used a wire brush to get as much off as I could, then painted it with a decent high heat paint. After it cured for a week or so in the sun, I started a fire in the firebox, let it get warm (not hot), then used a spray bottle and a paint brush to coat the inside and outside with peanut oil. Now I only do the outside every 2 or 3 times I use it. I just cook on it, then when I'm done and it starts to cool off, I "paint" it with oil real quick. Literally takes maybe 5 minutes. I only do the inside if I scrape it out and pressure wash it, otherwise I just scrape the inside clean every few cooks and call it good.
Old 11-17-2010, 02:00 PM   #19 (permalink)
Community Organizer

Member # 32677
There's some 1200 degree high heat Rustoleum I found that a lot of guys recommend for fire boxes and smokers like this.
\http://www.rustoleum.com/CBGProduct.asp?pid=108

I haven't found any yet but I'll be looking soon.
Old 11-17-2010, 02:09 PM   #20 (permalink)
Heyull yea

Member # 13671
I used the Rustoleum above on my smoke a year ago and it's still holding good. A little bit of rust coming through on the firebox but it was bad pitted to begin with... my dad and cousin built my smoker 30 years ago and it's sat out in the weather until now.
Old 11-17-2010, 04:49 PM   #21 (permalink)
Community Organizer

Member # 32677
So I welded in the spring hangers and got it sitting on tires, it's almost perfectly balanced front/back. I figured once I add the frame and hitch up front plus a propane bottle and the rest of the box for wood I'd have enough tongue weight. I'm diggin' it a lot.
Old 11-17-2010, 09:16 PM   #22 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 48607
That fire box is friggin huge. To the point of ridiculous.
Old 11-17-2010, 10:36 PM   #23 (permalink)

Member # 162162
you could get some expanding metal for all the flooring and sides to hold the wood in

my smoker is one that my dad bought 20 years ago and my grandpa modified it heavily since. he put a roof, sides counter top, propane starter, wood storage, new (15 years ago) firebox that's rusted all to hell, smokestack cover with a lower control, and a neat dead weight pulley (from a '32 ford) thing to hold the lid open

i'll snap a pic of it tomorrow if anyone cares lol
vintagestrat08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 06:51 AM   #24 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 6417
Make it a little more tongue heavy than you think you need. We had to cut and move mine because we had it almost balanced. It never fails that you'll want to haul it with a firebox full of wood, a couple of coolers full of stuff on the back, etc, and you'll end up with a trailer that's ass heavy and doesn't pull well.
Old 11-18-2010, 06:53 AM   #25 (permalink)
Community Organizer

Member # 32677
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5trucks View Post
That fire box is friggin huge. To the point of ridiculous.
It's thick too.