Gold Rush: Alaska, Discovery Channel - Page 3 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > General Chit-Chat
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2010, 07:39 AM   #51 (permalink)

Member # 17116
Send a message via Yahoo to lowbuck
In the previews for next week they show one of them on the ground (they donít show a face) and a quick shot of an ambulance running down the road. I wonder who took it in the nuts. Or are they just creating dram because one of the kids got sick from eating bad bear meat? Lol
Old 12-19-2010, 11:25 AM   #52 (permalink)

Member # 21240
I saw an episode today. Bunch of idiots from what I can tell. If they spent more time mining instead of chasing bears into the hills they might actually do something. They need to quit looking for the "glory hole" otherwise they will probably be broke with some stuff on there face. They just spent 30K to get the machine to try and make the small stuff pay for them. The old man wants to play the lottery while they should be just trying to get a weekly paychecks and money flowing off the small gold.

The dude Todd does need a backhand to the face for his attitude and the old man needs to pull his head out of his ass.

They are way to freaked out by the bears. They just need to get some rubber buckshot or beanbag rounds for a 12ga and give them some painful reasons not to return. If they keep returning then take care of them.
Hoss50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 02:25 PM   #53 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 38193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Provience View Post
Thanks for the link, I haven't heard about this at all. Def worth looking into
There's also a hard rock gold mine on the Greenhorn for sale. $500K, 20 acres.
Old 12-19-2010, 03:04 PM   #54 (permalink)

Member # 31362
Send a message via AIM to deke
Ahh the new model at work yet again. Only show about 10 minutes of actual footage. Otherwise recap the story line over and over and over.
deke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 03:15 PM   #55 (permalink)

Member # 152210
I think Todd has the most at stake, is looked to by the others to be the leaders, has his dad (the old guy who is slightly around the bend) and is keenly aware that he is following an idea not a set of skills.... so, his compounded concerns become dickish attitudes.

The smart guy who built his cabin and Todd are both the bulls in the herd, the one guy was poking people in the chest too....

The guy with the beard is a cancer and a weak man and not worth a shit... he will be the problem the whole time... he is a guy looking for a way to fail and quit and move on.... it is unfortunate that he already has children, hopefully they don't emulate him.

I think the ace in the hole is the neighbor and I think the network found the 'new guy' (Turpin?) to come in and provide some positive leadership and know how. I think those two are getting paid by the network to keep putting down breadcrumbs to lead these very ordinary guys in to a new life.

I wonder how many people have headed to Alaska and the northwest after all the crab, trucking, logging shows? I'd bet it is a bunch.

We're all down sick at my house so we watched all three episodes yesterday and the show grew on us.... it is on the dvr.

As for the formula, I think when regular people are getting filmed, they only do a couple of interesting things a week, so I pity the editors....

[SIZE="3"][COLOR="Red"][FONT="Impact"][I][B]free texas blake[/B][/I][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE]
gladman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 03:49 PM   #56 (permalink)

Member # 72494
Quote:
Originally Posted by deke View Post
Ahh the new model at work yet again. Only show about 10 minutes of actual footage. Otherwise recap the story line over and over and over.
Yup. I effing hate that. Mythbusters is the worst.

[QUOTE=BeefCakeScout;10563632]I was, but if you won't kiss me after I blow you then i'll find someone else:flipoff2:[/QUOTE]

[IMG]http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/sigs/sigimage.php?u=317103[/IMG]
77bawls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 05:26 PM   #57 (permalink)

Member # 16744
Send a message via AIM to Cobra5.0Jeep Send a message via Yahoo to Cobra5.0Jeep
I watched all the episodes that are out so far, i agree with what someone said earlier if they stopped leaving their food out and stopped worrying about bears i bet they would find some gold.
Old 12-19-2010, 05:27 PM   #58 (permalink)

Member # 16744
Quote:
Originally Posted by Screwzer2 View Post
Come on up, they're just getting started:

http://www.idaho-maryland.com/s/Home.asp
That mine will never open, it'll be in the courts for years and by that time gold prices will have gone back to 30 dollars an ounce.
Old 12-19-2010, 06:03 PM   #59 (permalink)

Member # 87845
if these dumb fucks strike it rich on gold, I might find myself there too... cause holy shit, if they can do it...
y2knole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 06:33 PM   #60 (permalink)

Member # 16744
They'll make some good money since it looks like they have a big operation, once they get started atleast.
Old 12-19-2010, 06:53 PM   #61 (permalink)
Ebs

Member # 20043
As fun as chasing bears through the woods and building forts is...it seems a little ridiculous it took them so long to get started on setting up the processing equipment.
Ebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 02:09 AM   #62 (permalink)

Member # 145247
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2knole View Post
if these dumb fucks strike it rich on gold, I might find myself there too... cause holy shit, if they can do it...
My bro and I were talking about this, if they strike it rich, then someone with any amount of brains should be able to rake in the cash.. An absolute bunch of doofuses, but entertaining TV haha
h_factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 05:06 AM   #63 (permalink)

Member # 31362
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_factor View Post
My bro and I were talking about this, if they strike it rich, then someone with any amount of brains should be able to rake in the cash.. An absolute bunch of doofuses, but entertaining TV haha
you actually think they are there alone without discovery making things happen? I bet they have more than a few smart gold mining people there
Old 12-20-2010, 05:17 AM   #64 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 61545
I have some "spoilers" I can leak here. Like how much gold they end up getting. OK???
hogcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 05:25 AM   #65 (permalink)

Member # 44159
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogcat View Post
I have some "spoilers" I can leak here. Like how much gold they end up getting. OK???
Spill it.
pb4u4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 06:20 AM   #66 (permalink)

Member # 87845
Quote:
you actually think they are there alone without discovery making things happen? I bet they have more than a few smart gold mining people there
all joking aside.

I dont think I'd have the stones to do something like this, if I was truly as backed into a corner as these guys say they are...

you gotta give them credit for getting out there and trying to make something happen instead of sitting home on their asses whining about how much the economy/curren president/past president/liberals/neocons/imigrants/good-ole-boynetwork/weather/whatever else have screwed them.
Old 12-20-2010, 06:21 AM   #67 (permalink)

Member # 31362
Quote:
all joking aside.

I dont think I'd have the stones to do something like this, if I was truly as backed into a corner as these guys say they are...

you gotta give them credit for getting out there and trying to make something happen instead of sitting home on their asses whining about how much the economy/curren president/past president/liberals/neocons/imigrants/good-ole-boynetwork/weather/whatever else have screwed them.
cause discovery didn't make it easy to take that "risk"
Old 12-20-2010, 06:40 AM   #68 (permalink)

Member # 87845
Quote:
cause discovery didn't make it easy to take that "risk"
fair enough.

but... if I was ever that backed into a corner, the last thing I'd be thinking is
"I know what im gonna do... im gonna go spend a quarter million bucks on heavy equipment, buy a semi, a dumptruck and run a 16 truck/trailer convoy up to alaska. THAT should get me back on my feet!"

they say they can only afford to go mining for 3 months. WTF? Its not like another month or two or three costs any more than diesel fuel for the shovels and generators... the costs were in getting the equipment, getting setup, and getting there. Once thats done, the operation is fairly cheap.

unless he needs to turn back around and sell all that equipment again?
Old 12-20-2010, 06:46 AM   #69 (permalink)

Member # 31362
Quote:
fair enough.

but... if I was ever that backed into a corner, the last thing I'd be thinking is
"I know what im gonna do... im gonna go spend a quarter million bucks on heavy equipment, buy a semi, a dumptruck and run a 16 truck/trailer convoy up to alaska. THAT should get me back on my feet!"

they say they can only afford to go mining for 3 months. WTF? Its not like another month or two or three costs any more than diesel fuel for the shovels and generators... the costs were in getting the equipment, getting setup, and getting there. Once thats done, the operation is fairly cheap.

unless he needs to turn back around and sell all that equipment again?
they said a thousand a day in costs... Thats really NOTHING all things considered for an operation of any size. I think they really under estimated it too.

PS: where the hell are they getting their food from? And where the F are they shitting?
Old 12-20-2010, 07:30 AM   #70 (permalink)

Member # 2833
Quote:
PS: where the hell are they getting their food from? And where the F are they shitting?
Bears. Where the bears used to shit.
blufrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 08:12 AM   #71 (permalink)

Member # 87845
Quote:
they said a thousand a day in costs... Thats really NOTHING all things considered for an operation of any size. I think they really under estimated it too.

does $1000 a day include the damage they keep doing to their own cars with the shovels?
Old 12-20-2010, 08:26 AM   #72 (permalink)

Member # 3567
Send a message via Yahoo to ecvMatt
I don't understand why they went out and shot that bear. They only had 1 tag and seems they wasted it on a little bear the first chance they got. Sure, they saw the one in their camp, but that wasn't even the one they shot. It's not like shooting one sends a message to the rest to leave them alone, are they going to put it's head on a pike to warn the other bears? They also seemed a little too enthusiastic about "shooting a menacing bear." I don't really think you can claim self defence against a beast, if you go out armed, looking for it.

I watched it with a few friends and it really reminded us of the haphazzard approach we took when we packed all our gear and headed up to Alaska, and we know we were dumb in our approach. I'll keep watching, it's entertaining for sure.
Old 12-20-2010, 08:42 AM   #73 (permalink)
Who stole my title?

Member # 70825
Quote:
If it came down to me selling everything I had, buying the equipment and then relying on these bunch of numskulls to turn a profit I don't think I would do it.

If someone else sold their stuff and I was just a numskull trying to make a profit I would be all over it.

Providing of course there was an actual chance of profit and I was already or about to be sitting on my butt with no steady job prospects.
void_of_light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 08:49 AM   #74 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 61545
Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4u4x4 View Post
Spill it.
Ok, how does 16 ounces sound?? (1 pound total)

Bit to protect myself, this came from some drunk down the road on his way North, and I have no idea where he is now.

Last edited by hogcat; 12-20-2010 at 08:52 AM.
hogcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 09:04 AM   #75 (permalink)

Member # 17116
Send a message via Yahoo to lowbuck
So lets see.

$1385 an ounce * 16 = 22,160.00

Seems that isn't enough...