Free Real Time Satellite Images. - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > General Chit-Chat
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2011, 06:08 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 68844
Free Real Time Satellite Images.

I know about Google Earth, but from my experience, most of that stuff is 2-10 years old. I mean, I just looked up my last 3 houses, and it is showing my trucks and car at a place I haven't lived at in 3 years! It also shows 3 trees that I cut down at the place I moved to after that, and it shows my garage as grass. The landlord told me ha had this garage built 4 years ago!

ANYWAYS. I have been told by several people that there are free, online, real time (within 24-72 hours) satellite images available on a website. I've heard stories of people's boss knowing that they had laundry on the line via satellite images, people having property tax (regarding buildings on said property) adjusted by using satellite images, etc. If you ask me, thats pretty cool!

I would really like to know what is available out there. Right now, the area I live in is flooded. I would really like to see just how swollen the rivers and lakes are compared to their typical size, and other stuff like that.

Also, if there are some that cost money, but are real time like what I am talking about, I'd like to know about them too.

I've been searching Google, and I searched here, but haven't found anything ueseful or up to date.
[COLOR="Blue"][QUOTE=Texas97;13281566]dont know why... unless its some new hippie tree hugger brady campaign sissy ass bedwetter gun control nanny state facist orwellian barbara streisand law that just passed....[/QUOTE][/COLOR]
redpitbull44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 06:12 PM   #2 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 47464
Last time I checked (about 10 years ago) a real time picture is about $5g's.
Old 06-01-2011, 06:15 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 57128
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpitbull44 View Post
...free, online, real time (within 24-72 hours) satellite images available on a website...pretty cool!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonsYJjeep View Post
Yota Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 06:23 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 68844
Quote:
The last time you checked was a long fucking time ago. I can tell you it is out there. I don't know about the free part, but hearing it from 20+ different people in different towns/ states that obviously don't know each other... And when I say "Google Earth" they say "No, this is something different."...
[COLOR="Blue"][QUOTE=Texas97;13281566]dont know why... unless its some new hippie tree hugger brady campaign sissy ass bedwetter gun control nanny state facist orwellian barbara streisand law that just passed....[/QUOTE][/COLOR]
Old 06-01-2011, 06:28 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 6957
Quote:

I don't know about the cost but my local building department is using something as they have guys surfing maps of the area and getting folks for building with out a permit.
ironpig70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 06:29 PM   #6 (permalink)
DRM
Super Moderator

Member # 8
Quote:
I've heard stories of people's boss knowing that they had laundry on the line via satellite images,
I call bullshit.
>"A little nonsense now and then is cherished by the wisest men."

Last edited by DRM; 06-01-2011 at 06:29 PM.
DRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 06:35 PM   #7 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 66259
THe county I live in photographs the whole county every year. My county website has a nice interactive map where I can overlay their image, flood maps, topographic maps, tax parcels...etc. Pretty nice.
spork2367 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 06:40 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 4878
Send a message via ICQ to Travis Waldher Send a message via MSN to Travis Waldher Send a message via Yahoo to Travis Waldher
Quote:
Originally Posted by spork2367 View Post
THe county I live in photographs the whole county every year. My county website has a nice interactive map where I can overlay their image, flood maps, topographic maps, tax parcels...etc. Pretty nice.
It's a pretty nice service for you huh...

Also lets them more easily see who's building stuff that wasn't there the year before. But they probably don't let you see that overlay.
Travis Waldher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 06:53 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 68844
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpig70 View Post
I don't know about the cost but my local building department is using something as they have guys surfing maps of the area and getting folks for building with out a permit.
Yes, this is another one that somebody told me. Guy put a large mini-barn up at his house or something, and his county found out about it via satellite.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRM View Post
I call bullshit.
No, seriously. The chick works for the county, and is friends with her boss. I guess she took a personal day and he called her and basically asked "You took a personal day to hang up your laundry?".
Old 06-01-2011, 06:59 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 57128
Quote:
Yes, this is another one that somebody told me. Guy put a large mini-barn up at his house or something, and his county found out about it via satellite.
That barn could have been built 6 years ago, the pics taken 5 years ago, county looking at it currently.

Quote:
No, seriously. The chick works for the county, and is friends with her boss. I guess she took a personal day and he called her and basically asked "You took a personal day to hang up your laundry?".
People that hang laundry do it more than once in their life. It's more than likely that this is a habit and she's been doing it for some time. Could he have been looking at a picture of her laundry from several years ago and it just be a coincidence that she also did it that day?
Old 06-01-2011, 07:02 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 102478
Time to invest in camo netting. When my house disappears my taxes will go down right?
jeepinj1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 07:07 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 48414
Real time sat imaging to the normal consumer is still way way away.
patracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 07:09 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 85205
Look over this link..
http://www.quora.com/Natural-Disaste...s-in-Australia
Old 06-01-2011, 07:12 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 68844
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yota Up View Post
That barn could have been built 6 years ago, the pics taken 5 years ago, county looking at it currently.

People that hang laundry do it more than once in their life. It's more than likely that this is a habit and she's been doing it for some time. Could he have been looking at a picture of her laundry from several years ago and it just be a coincidence that she also did it that day?
Yes, and Yes, but this wasn't like that. In the case of the barn, the dude lives down a private drive, surrounded by woods, and his house and yard are in a clearing. There is no way anybody could have viewed it from the road etc, and they knew about it within a few weeks apparently.

As far as the laundry thing goes, kind of the same thing. Clothes line couldn't have been viewed from the road, and she hadn't lived there all that long.

I know this shit is 3 or 4th hand anecdotal evidence, and I don't want to purport it to be more than that. I don't really even care about their stories. What I want is to know if this shit is available, and if it is, I want to know if it is free or if it's going to cost me. That's all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinj1990 View Post
Time to invest in camo netting. When my house disappears my taxes will go down right?
Not in this economy. They'll get you for tax evasion, or terrorist activity.
Bastards.
Old 06-01-2011, 07:15 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 68844
Quote:
Originally Posted by F2504x4 View Post
That's a step in the right direction. I have a feeling that what I am looking for is available to the local government as a service from the state/federal level, but maybe it's something non-government types could gain access to also. IDK. Best way I could describe it is an up-to-date version of Google Earth...

Last edited by redpitbull44; 06-01-2011 at 07:19 PM.
Old 06-01-2011, 07:16 PM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 57128
Like my first post in this thread - if true it would be awesome!! But seems a little too good to be true. Imagine all the cheaters out there getting busted.

But also, as in my first post, the cheers are short-lived by what appears to be a sober reality that it is still, and will remain for some time, out of our reach for us as normal civilians and consumers.

Edit: The most realistic hope here is that your area does something like this on the local level, as per Sporks post.

Last edited by Yota Up; 06-01-2011 at 07:17 PM.
Old 06-01-2011, 07:21 PM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 68844
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yota Up View Post
Like my first post in this thread - if true it would be awesome!! But seems a little too good to be true. Imagine all the cheaters out there getting busted.

But also, as in my first post, the cheers are short-lived by what appears to be a sober reality that it is still, and will remain for some time, out of our reach for us as normal civilians and consumers.

Edit: The most realistic hope here is that your area does something like this on the local level, as per Sporks post.
Yeah. You're probably right, but I hope you're wrong! Guess I should have taken that job with the NSA after all...

Last edited by redpitbull44; 06-01-2011 at 07:22 PM.
Old 06-01-2011, 07:21 PM   #18 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 116537
Grab tinfoil, make hat. Not that the man does not have real time imagery, but it ain't for code enforcement.
Old 06-01-2011, 07:26 PM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 68844
Quote:
Originally Posted by emiller22207 View Post
Grab tinfoil, make hat.
Why? I got me a gen-u-wine Texas Armadilla helmet. Best thing for stopping government mind rays!
Old 06-01-2011, 07:31 PM   #20 (permalink)
SHOOT TO THRILL!

Member # 26382
how long ago was the "fuck obama" mowed into that field in louisiana that everyone has seen on google earth?
300sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 07:52 PM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 68844
Quote:
Originally Posted by 300sniper View Post
how long ago was the "fuck obama" mowed into that field in louisiana that everyone has seen on google earth?
Obama has been in the public eye since 2006, so, say, within the last 5 years. Hell, he's been president for ~ 3 years now...
Old 06-01-2011, 08:20 PM   #22 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 116537
Quote:
Why? I got me a gen-u-wine Texas Armadilla helmet. Best thing for stopping government mind rays!
Tinfoil + Armidiilo = good BBQ.
Old 06-01-2011, 08:28 PM   #23 (permalink)
chug life

Member # 180649
You can always rent a plane and go see for yourself. Depending on what you get it should be $80-$100 wet (plus hiring pilot)
clastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 09:19 AM   #24 (permalink)

Member # 60950
Try googling for MODIS

The forest service has imagery for most of the US in their fire mapping site:

http://activefiremaps.fs.fed.us/index.php

It shows one day back or you can step back in time using the calendar. The down side is that often all you see is clouds. I have not explored all of the options there, so you might find a way around that.

You can also try playing around here:

https://wist.echo.nasa.gov/api/

I haven't figured out how the NASA site works yet, just found it a few days ago.
Red Dwarf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 09:45 AM   #25 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 66259
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Waldher View Post
It's a pretty nice service for you huh...

Also lets them more easily see who's building stuff that wasn't there the year before. But they probably don't let you see that overlay.
I'm well aware that building permit infractions is the main purpose.
spork2367 is offline   Reply With Quote