Suppose your kid wanted to race motocross - Page 3 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > General Chit-Chat
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2011, 03:27 PM   #51 (permalink)
Not a Wenzelite

Member # 44480
Quote:
Originally Posted by MossMan View Post
We all love to ride and will continue to ride together whether there's racing involved or not. But if they do decide to race I will enjoy it as much (or maybe more) than they will.
This was what I wanted to know. Is it something you love doing together as a family? If so, do what you can to help them follow their dreams.

It's you being a pushy parent if it's your dream and not theirs.
It's them being a greedy kid and you not being connected as a parent if you can't relate and it's their dream and not yours.

If it's something you all love to do, it should be some amazing family bonding time. You're gonna melt some money, but if it's your "thing", go for it!
MT4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2011, 12:07 PM   #52 (permalink)

Member # 11995
Send a message via MSN to MossMan Send a message via Yahoo to MossMan
Looks like we're gonna start with GNCC next season. I'm sure we'll get some practice on the close by MX tracks and maybe squeeze a race or two in there also. After looking at rules and classes it looks like a YZ85 (or similar) would be a pretty good bike for a 10yo to race in both places.

Yay? Nay?
Old 10-20-2011, 12:17 PM   #53 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 22104
Quote:
Looks like we're gonna start with GNCC next season. I'm sure we'll get some practice on the close by MX tracks and maybe squeeze a race or two in there also. After looking at rules and classes it looks like a YZ85 (or similar) would be a pretty good bike for a 10yo to race in both places.

Yay? Nay?
Yes on the YZ and GNCC. Explain to him face to face, no bullshit that the YZ will scare him once or twice but he will get used to it and dont ride over his head.

That is if he is tall enough to ride the YZ. KTM 65 might be another option.
Old 10-20-2011, 12:18 PM   #54 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 22104
look at the races and see how the honda 150 4stroke is doing. It seems silly to me to have a kid learn how to properly ride a 2stroke only to ditch it in the next class or 2
Old 10-20-2011, 12:48 PM   #55 (permalink)

Member # 35320
Send a message via Yahoo to Phonedoc
Not exactly MX, but it went like this in my family:

Nephew, at 10 years old, gets his first cheap chinese quad.

He gets really good at riding it and wants to start racing.

He holds his own on a cheap, stock machine, which begat the 250 Blaster.

Then the highly modified 250 Blaster, then a second modified Blaster, then expensive fuel, then sponsorship money, then a trailer and a better truck, then travel every weekend.

And then little sister decided to start racing. She was doing well on Dakota's first quad, so that begat the highly modified DDR 90.

At this point, brother in law decides to specialize in TT and flat track, bringing on more modifications.

Now everybody is running well and having fun, but 'Kota can't catch this one kid, which begat the highly modified 400. He just finished the first season with that one, and it's being "improved" as we speak.

Everything I've told you so far spans four years. During that time, more of the family started racing. At the final event this year, we showed up with two trucks/trailers, eight quads and riders and a support staff of our entire extended family.

Now I'm busy modifying my daughter's quad and shopping for a trailer.

Be careful with these things. They get out of control quickly.

Last edited by Phonedoc; 10-20-2011 at 12:48 PM.
Phonedoc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2011, 12:50 PM   #56 (permalink)

Member # 101654
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaryW View Post
look at the races and see how the honda 150 4stroke is doing. It seems silly to me to have a kid learn how to properly ride a 2stroke only to ditch it in the next class or 2
why? My friend races GNCC in the 250B class on a YZ250, yeah all the pros run 450 4strokes but I don't think it is something to be concerned with, when you know how to ride, it will be a seemless transition between 2 and 4 stroke. Same friend started riding trials as a kid and quickly grew to the best in the state. Picked up a ride from scorpa but just couldn't relate to the 4 stroke in a trials situation. Trials really is a lot of fun too, just something to look into.
Old 10-20-2011, 01:04 PM   #57 (permalink)

Member # 101654
Beta Evo Trials Bike 2010 - YouTube
Old 10-20-2011, 01:04 PM   #58 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 22104
Quote:
Originally Posted by outfitter540 View Post
why? My friend races GNCC in the 250B class on a YZ250, yeah all the pros run 450 4strokes but I don't think it is something to be concerned with, when you know how to ride, it will be a seemless transition between 2 and 4 stroke. Same friend started riding trials as a kid and quickly grew to the best in the state. Picked up a ride from scorpa but just couldn't relate to the 4 stroke in a trials situation. Trials really is a lot of fun too, just something to look into.
Just the fact that bigger 2 strokes are getting fewer. I loved my yz125's.

I agree not a lot of difference but staying on top of and mastering a 2stroke is a bit different and less forgiving than a modern 4 stroke.
Old 10-20-2011, 01:14 PM   #59 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 20298
I know it's already been said, but it needs to be said again--you need to quit wasting time with the XR then and get a proper two stroke. The power of a KX60 will scare the shit out of most 9-year olds (and it should), so I'd start there. If you do get a 60 and he's adamant about riding/racing it, you can retard the timing and/or add a flywheel weight to it to take out some of the 'bang' and smooth out the band.
Old 10-20-2011, 01:30 PM   #60 (permalink)

Member # 23553
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaryW View Post
No way, learn on a 2 stroke and then (maybe) go to a 4 stroke. 2 stroke will teach him all sorts of clutch control and wont allow him to be lazy and lug the thing around like a 4 stroke.

Last edited by mjlogan88; 10-20-2011 at 01:31 PM.
mjlogan88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2011, 02:03 PM   #61 (permalink)

Member # 1930
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlogan88 View Post
No way, learn on a 2 stroke and then (maybe) go to a 4 stroke. 2 stroke will teach him all sorts of clutch control and wont allow him to be lazy and lug the thing around like a 4 stroke.
this X10000000

The two stroke will not only teach proper clutch technique and throttle control, it will also teach proper braking and cornering. He can learn to be smooth and use the brakes right instead of blasting into a corner relying on engine braking.

There is no reason to not run a two stroke. Over an entire race season the smoker will be easier on the wallet. he can run a 2 stroke his entire racing "career" if he chooses too, especially in gncc or enduro. Yes top GNCC pros run 4 strokes because they are paid to, many chose to run smokers in the National Enduro series, many XC2 racers on two strokes finish in the top 10 overall at GNCC.

check out the Shane Watts website. he has riding schools and great DVD's covering offroad riding.

I am a Yamaha guy so I will agree with the YZ choice but you really cant go wrong with the KTM either.
YJ4RoX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2011, 03:41 PM   #62 (permalink)

Member # 11995
Picked up the gear today at Cycle Gear in Nashville. Been shopping bikes online and so has my FIL. He's got a line on a couple new 09 CR 80s for a smoking deal. I really want to get him a two stroke but damn they're pricey compared to the Honda?
Old 12-10-2011, 03:52 PM   #63 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 137692
Quote:
I really want to get him a two stroke but damn they're pricey compared to the Honda?
He is going to end up on a 4 stroke when he out grows this one (most likely). I would seriously consider a crf150r especially for woods riding, haul ass but won't scare him shit less. Change out the flywheel and you are good to go.

Last edited by 75' Forty; 12-10-2011 at 03:53 PM.
75' Forty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2011, 10:02 PM   #64 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 123683
Quote:
I really want to get him a two stroke but damn they're pricey compared to the Honda?
A new 450 is over $8,000 MSRP right now.

Ever find a good 80? I'm late to the thread, but there are normally quite a few on craigslist for $1000 to $1500 in good enough condition. I don't think anyone said it, but when your son rides it for the first time he will backflip it as soon as the power 'hits' so be ready for that. All of the gear on the first ride, there will be a wreck. I'm 28 and switch between a CRF450 and XR650R, and I would probably backflip an 80 still. The last one I rode was about 5 or 6 years ago, I bought my friend's daughter a new back fender that day.

I never got into the woods racing, I was always doing motocross. They are completly different animals, and motocross will spoil you. There are no rocks, trees, water crossings, etc. A group of friends I used to ride with would make me look like an idiot in the woods, but I would smoke them on a track. Now my friends all quit riding and I'm the old guy in the woods, so I'm allowed to be slow.
Jules083 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2011, 09:40 AM   #65 (permalink)

Member # 11995
There's a decent selection of yz85s on Craigslist so that's probably going to work out. And I know the backflip will come. The first day I got my kx80 we got home and didn't have much time to ride before I had to go somewhere with dad. Knowing absolutely nothing about using the clutch I was stalled at the bottom of the driveway and he was at the car ready to go waiting for me to put the bike in the garage. Finally he said gimme the damn thing and hopped on. He kicked it started and stalled a time or to him self. Then he got it moving and the powerband kicked in on him in first gear and the bike wheelied and left him on his knees behind it. I don't think he was as amused as I was. After he went in the house and changed his ripped pants we left.
Old 12-20-2011, 12:16 PM   #66 (permalink)

Member # 156136
Another option to gncc's are "woods extreme offroad" and as mentioned "movhs" is decent too. They are going to be WAY cheaper than the gncc's. To make gncc's worth your while, your going to drop some SERIOUS coinage!!
cottonmouth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2011, 12:59 PM   #67 (permalink)

Member # 13156
My son is wanting to go the other way. He is 10 and started riding when he was 5. Started getting interested in racing so we started in the woods. Got invited to a practice mx track with some freinds and now he is hooked. He has been pretty adament about not racing woods anymore because when he rides the track there is not trees and stuff! LOL Not really competitive but has only been riding his KX65 since last 4th of July. Started on a CRF50 and he has made several comments that it was a "turd".

I ended up with a YZ250 and we are both learning to ride! I hadn't been on a bike in 20 years and was never taught to ride "right". Standing up on a bike - doesn't feel normal at all! But, we have a ton of fun. (It sucks that he is faster than me right now on the technical stuff and tight turns)
Old 01-01-2012, 12:04 PM   #68 (permalink)

Member # 11995
His birthday was yesterday and I'd say he's a pretty happy camper. We picked up an 09 YZ 85 from some really nice folks in OH and he's ready to ride. This bike is already setup for woods riding with a different cog, skid plate, radiator guard, and some bark busters.

He can't touch the ground but we knew that would be the case. Now I've got to get him plenty of seat time so he can get comfortable.
Attached Images

Old 01-01-2012, 12:08 PM   #69 (permalink)

Member # 11995
Quote:
Originally Posted by cottonmouth View Post
Another option to gncc's are "woods extreme offroad" and as mentioned "movhs" is decent too. They are going to be WAY cheaper than the gncc's. To make gncc's worth your while, your going to drop some SERIOUS coinage!!
The guy we bought from is a racer and his son is too. He said the same thing about GNCC and I think it's been said in this thread a few times too. I've read through the rules and looked at the fees and it seems pretty reasonable to me. Where does the cost add up? GNCC fees or just general travel and maintenance?
Old 01-01-2012, 01:22 PM   #70 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 4650
Quote:
The guy we bought from is a racer and his son is too. He said the same thing about GNCC and I think it's been said in this thread a few times too. I've read through the rules and looked at the fees and it seems pretty reasonable to me. Where does the cost add up? GNCC fees or just general travel and maintenance?
i have raced for 6 seasons in a woods type setting in the Canadian Rockies. To set the bike up with proper skid plate, bark busters, rad guards, rad fan, grip heaters (early am cool brings the suck), steering stabilizer and possibly headlight/taillight you will be in for another $1500.
Gear is $1000.
Maintenance is a wash compared to MX racing.
Travel and camping is the added cost.

Go mbeire muid beo ar an am seo arís

Last edited by NERVEman; 01-01-2012 at 01:22 PM.
NERVEman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2012, 02:36 PM   #71 (permalink)

Member # 11995
I think he's setup pretty good to start. And all of the races we are thinking about are pretty close to home. I'm wondering if there's hidden or added fees that keep popping up or something. I know we have to be AMA, pay reg. fees for each race, and buy or rent a transponder. Is there more?
Old 01-01-2012, 03:02 PM   #72 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 4650
Quote:
I think he's setup pretty good to start. And all of the races we are thinking about are pretty close to home. I'm wondering if there's hidden or added fees that keep popping up or something. I know we have to be AMA, pay reg. fees for each race, and buy or rent a transponder. Is there more?
i was confused when answering. No stabilizer or fan needed for his bike. Honestly, i see no hidden costs as described. The best thing is the family atmosphere camping is second to none. Camping in the bush is great, camping in the parking lot of a MX track...not so much.
Have fun!

Go mbeire muid beo ar an am seo arís
NERVEman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2012, 03:09 PM   #73 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 175047
I grazed through the thread, you started off asking about moto-x and now are looking into woods racing? We(my 2 boys and i) race KS harescrambles. Our current fleet is a 105xc, 250xcw and a gg ec300. About 5 years ago we had motokazie.com come down and build a small track in our pasture. Took about 5 acres and is .5 miles long. I asked for beginner/novice jumps and landings as we had never really jumped. We all have learned a lot about moto-x riding as a result. Id offer you a couple bits of advice for either format.

-if youre moto-xing, take off the hand guards. nothing will break his fingers/wrists faster. Its only a few bolts and its very worth taking off. also, if the previous owner put a flywheel weight on the yz, you might want to take it off for moto also. the flywheel weight will soften the "hit", which in the woods is good. On the moto track he will need the power to clear doubles and tops. He could keep the weight in for starting out, but he will eventually want to start jumping further, take it out then.

woods riding is a whole different animal. It sounds like your little bike is about setup for him. the main thing you need to look at is his suspension. since he is smaller, make sure it is set-up "soft" enough for his size. moto suspension is designed to soak up the hit from big jumps, not soak up rocks and roots across the trail. you may be able to soften it for him with adjusting the clickers. read up on yz forks and shock(sorry im an orange guy and cant offer any advice for initial settings)

and finally- along with all of the normal gear(boots, gloves, chest protector, etc) Id advise you spending as much as you can afford on these 2 areas- helmet and neck brace. he IS going to crash. Concussions are very bad, no-one needs me to explain how bad neck injuries can be. Do what you can now, before he crashes. we have had all sorts of riding injuries; broken bones, concussions, seperated ribs, etc etc etc! be ready for them. get out there and ride with them. youll have a blast and make good memories for you and them!

here we are two months ago-
Attached Images

Old 01-01-2012, 04:51 PM   #74 (permalink)

Member # 11995
Good advice. I hadn't thought about the hand guards on the track. You're right though, they're a cinch to take on and off. I just put them on earlier as a matter of fact. I did get him a good helmet but I might have to trade it for a bigger size. I looked at the neck rolls and started to get o e but I held off. You'd recommend one though?
Old 01-01-2012, 07:11 PM   #75 (permalink)

Member # 164351
i hear it gets pretty damn pricey one of our customers was telling me he spends about 10-15k a year for his kids to race. thats not including repairs

dd-07 4dr jk on 37's yadayadayada
rip-76 cj7 on 40's
new project 2 seater go fast type 460 bbf 1tons 42's
need sponsors for ECORS/RCROCS series
mwebb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.