No more H1's!!!WTF??? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Hummer
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2008, 01:30 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 112327
Angry No more H1's!!!WTF???

They stopped producing H1's!!!!!!!!!!!!!WTF! they were supposed to wait for about 30 years so I could afford one

go here, http://www.hummer.com/hummerjsp/home.jsp, highlight hummer world and click on H1 heritage
Old 04-10-2008, 02:44 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 112323
Umm... They stopped making those like 2 or 3 years ago.
Old 04-10-2008, 02:44 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 28368
Old 04-10-2008, 03:16 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 109614
The last civie H1 came off the line about June 2006. These trucks are tough, youll find one, when youre ready.
Guinness44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 01:18 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 84511
They aren't that expensive, You can find old ones for 20-30K depending on mileage and condition, not dirt cheap, but still way less than a new diesel tow rig or competiion tube buggy.
93hummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 08:45 AM   #6 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 10560
Send a message via AIM to SamuraiChris Send a message via Yahoo to SamuraiChris
And the funny thing is the H1s can not tow nearly as well as a new diesel tow rig, and they can only dream of wheeling like a competition tube buggy.

There's a bit of devils advocate from a guy that drives them everyday for work
Old 04-13-2008, 09:12 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 93830
you have to admit your humvee does pretty well for a 5500# bone stock truck with less than 190 hp and no lockers. If you know how to btm you'll go pretty much anywhere it'll fit. As far as towing, they are geared wrong for that and need more power (turbo/d-max/cat).
ron b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 01:08 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 84511
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuraiChris View Post
And the funny thing is the H1s can not tow nearly as well as a new diesel tow rig, and they can only dream of wheeling like a competition tube buggy.

But the comp buggy can't haul 4 adults or tow and the new tow rig can't rockcrawl either... The H1 isn't the best at anything, but it is damn good at everything. I have turned up the injection pump on mine and towed with it, 55-60 with 12K combined weight and it did it several times over hilly terrain. With no other mods than a 2 inch lift, detroit locker and 42's it crawls anywhere it fits. Hell it came from the factory with beadlocks, a 12K winch and rocker skids and undercarriage protection. The point I am trying to makeis tha the guy thinks he can't afford an H1, and I am telling him he can. I used to have a 2001 Dodge ram 2500 diesel, a 93 YJ with Atlas, T-18, ARB'd D44's and 38x11 boggers and a car trailer to get it to tellico. After some Jackass stole the trailer and I moved into a house that didn't have enough driveway space for all of that and my wife's car, I decided to get rid of the jeep and truck and buy a used H1 that could do what both the jeep and the truck could do, even if it didn't do either perfectly. I have more room for the family, can hual crap in the bed, tow, and wheel it like I stole it... all for less than what I paid for the Dodge when it was new. Again I am NOT saying an H1 is the perfect rig, I know it has limitations, just tying to show a dude who wants one that he can afford it.
93hummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 08:15 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 112233
Nicely said.
bartonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 09:28 PM   #10 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 107225
I think I heard that they just stopped production for the war effort. Behind in production. I'm sure they will be making them as soon as they catch up in production. God knows everybody needs a H1 ALPHA.
Old 04-14-2008, 07:51 AM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 109614
The 07 diesel emission law killed the H1.

Why compare a tubebuggy to an H1, compare the Viper with a Mini?
Guinness44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 08:15 AM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 67997
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinness44 View Post
The 07 diesel emission law killed the H1.

Why compare a tubebuggy to an H1, compare the Viper with a Mini?
I think what killed the H1 was the $30k price increase. According to this article, they sold 374 the last year of production. I owned a '96, and I think that year they made around 1200. When they raised the price for the Alpha, people stopped buying them.
Old 04-14-2008, 10:46 AM   #13 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 66259
the price for used ones is more than fair for their ability and durability. the price for new ones in the later years was absurd. in no way did people get what they were paying for. and why pay an absurd amount for a new one when you can get a nice used one? the only people who were buying new ones were poseurs, and when the H2 came out, the poseurs didn't care about the ability, they just wanted what everyone thought was cool. so basically, the H2 killed the H1 as far as civilian sales go.
spork2367 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 11:23 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 93830
I always thought it funny that when gm leased the name hummer (was it '99?) they started really jacking the prices higher and higher, then released the h2 at what the base hummer used to cost in the mid 90's.

Let's hope it comes back in some incarnation in the next few years in a basic model.

rb

Last edited by ron b; 04-16-2008 at 11:18 PM.
Old 04-16-2008, 10:54 AM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 100811
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuraiChris View Post

Well in regards to the custom buggys, the H1 is street legal . I don't need to tow my truck to go off roading.

That being said, there is a high probability that the H1 will return in a few years.

Look at it, the truck is cheap to make, in 1992 a NEW Hummer retailed for 40,000$. The price slowly creeped up over the years to see what the market could bear. The Alpha is a one off.

The Hummer came into production after defense spending fell after Desert Storm and the fall of the Iron Curtain. The Arnold Schwarzenegger story was a PR stunt.

Plus theres other signs. More and more h1 accessories are hitting the market, the vendors are being tight lipped about that.

And now AM General is flying factory techs to Alpha owners trucks to troubleshoot and evaluate drive train issues. Yes the truck is under warranty but why are they flying factory techs to evaluate customers trucks for a "dead" line. They could have pulled a "GM" and said the driveline clunks were normal operation. It's a dead truck line right? Why worry about fixing or improving it??

Kinda odd to see this activity for a dead line.

Once the war effort dies down after the election [lets face it, no matter who gets in we'll be reducing spending and reducing our role in iraq], AM General is going to have spare capacity.

Plus you got the Motor trend/Truck trend articles no one is picking up on that claim a 2010 return date.

Connect the dots...

Last edited by BigKofJustice; 04-16-2008 at 10:56 AM.
BigKofJustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 06:57 PM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 102628
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamer7 View Post
They stopped producing H1's!!!!!!!!!!!!!WTF!
NO WAY!?!?!

by the way i beat you
Old 04-27-2008, 02:34 PM   #17 (permalink)
Banned

Member # 111451
Down by me, a large dealership sold 1 H1 in 2 model years. This is in a market of over a million people. I think that price was what killed the H1 ( & the fact that it was not made by GM but by AMGeneral. That, & some serious rleiability issues ( dashboards, etc...)

I'd like to see the H1 return. It was a neat "halo" vehicle like a Viper. You may not see or sell many of them, but the press they create for a brand is a good thing.
a360chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 05:25 PM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 69594
I'm sure it was perfectly fine, but I couldn't help but chuckle when I saw that they were putting H1 Alphas on the road with the same T-Case as a Jeep cherokee. I wouldn't buy one because they're just kinda ungainly things. Too big to fit anywhere here, fuel costs, doesn't really serve any day to day purpose for me. I'll keep my Toyota.
Old 04-27-2008, 07:48 PM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 93830
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrikeKid View Post
I'm sure it was perfectly fine, but I couldn't help but chuckle when I saw that they were putting H1 Alphas on the road with the same T-Case as a Jeep cherokee. I wouldn't buy one because they're just kinda ungainly things. Too big to fit anywhere here, fuel costs, doesn't really serve any day to day purpose for me. I'll keep my Toyota.

the new venture tcase for the hummer is an hd version, not the same:
http://www.flashoffroad.com/features...Jeep/index.htm
the ones used in the alphas are even beefier. Just because the number is similar and it looks the same from the outside doesn't always mean it's the same thing.

I agree about it being a tight squeeze in many places, but the mpg being so different...you are in denial. I wheel with a bunch of jeeps, rovers, cruisers and they rarely get more than 14 to 16 with the bigger tires/gearing. My hummer gets 13 to 15 and it wieghs twice as much (it is diesel though).
Old 04-27-2008, 10:06 PM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 69594
Quote:
Originally Posted by ron b View Post
the new venture tcase for the hummer is an hd version, not the same:
http://www.flashoffroad.com/features...Jeep/index.htm
the ones used in the alphas are even beefier. Just because the number is similar and it looks the same from the outside doesn't always mean it's the same thing.

I agree about it being a tight squeeze in many places, but the mpg being so different...you are in denial. I wheel with a bunch of jeeps, rovers, cruisers and they rarely get more than 14 to 16 with the bigger tires/gearing. My hummer gets 13 to 15 and it wieghs twice as much (it is diesel though).
Maybe it was a typo then, because at least one mag I read stated that it had a plain old NP231. The fuel cost would be way different. I get 16-17 driving like an ass hat in my yota, I could probably squeek out 20 if I tried, and that's with gas. Same mpg with diesel at 4.25+ vs 3.50-3.75 for regular. It's not even a tight squeeze here, the trails are just flat too narrow and too tight for that behemoth to turn or fit between the trees, and it's actually not trail legal for a few.
Old 04-27-2008, 10:47 PM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 93830
agreed, a hummer is too wide for some trails. But a yota is too narrow for some.

The similar mpg I was referring to was for the old-school cruisers, D-90 rovers and built jeeps I often wheel with (most have serious gearing and 37+ tires). I had a jeep for a short while (bone stock) and I was lucky to get 17 going the speed limit, so you can imagine what adding a few acessories and bigger tires will do. Congrats on your 20 mpg, I don't know of many (any?) trail capable trucks getting that.
Old 05-01-2008, 09:02 AM   #22 (permalink)

Member # 27180
Send a message via AIM to rokcrwlrtj
my jeep on dana 60's and 37's gets 20 mpg highway
Old 05-01-2008, 11:21 AM   #23 (permalink)

Member # 20092
Now here's an H1:

Steve Rumore (owner of Avalanche Eng) did a CTD conversion and burns 100% biodiesel. I had a chance to drive it a little and it certainly has tons 'o balls now! It sounds cool as hell too.
Old 05-01-2008, 12:54 PM   #24 (permalink)

Member # 102628
Quote:
Originally Posted by rokcrwlrtj View Post
my jeep on dana 60's and 37's gets 20 mpg highway
i didnt get that when mine was stock

wait uou prolly have that 4 banger
Old 05-02-2008, 12:02 AM   #25 (permalink)

Member # 100811
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrikeKid View Post
Maybe it was a typo then, because at least one mag I read stated that it had a plain old NP231. The fuel cost would be way different. I get 16-17 driving like an ass hat in my yota, I could probably squeek out 20 if I tried, and that's with gas. Same mpg with diesel at 4.25+ vs 3.50-3.75 for regular. It's not even a tight squeeze here, the trails are just flat too narrow and too tight for that behemoth to turn or fit between the trees, and it's actually not trail legal for a few.
Magazine is wrong, I own the truck and have 2 of the transfer cases, I got pictures kicking around somewhere. The NV 242 has a bigger/thicker chain and larger planetary than the jeep version.

The jeep version doesn't have to support 10,800-12,800 lbs GVW with a 420-550 ft lbs of diesel torque.

Not the same part.

Same with the 6.5 transmissions. Plain jane, every day 4L80E right? No, actually different medium duty valve body for trucks, some people swap in the wrong version of transmissions and wonder why they have issues.