hummer h3 getting a front locker? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Hummer
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2008, 04:15 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 103000
hummer h3 getting a front locker?

Additions and deletions on the hummer h3

New Features
(48U) All Terrain Blue
(UPF) Bluetooth for phone, personal cell phone connectivity to vehicle audio system and HMI (Human Machine Interface) standard on all equipment groups
(G93) Differential, driver-selectable full-locking front
(QAX) Tires, P265/75R16 all-terrain, blackwall
Hill start assist feature executed as part of electronic stability control software
H3X exterior badge

doesnt the h3 use the same half ton front diff thats in the silverado and sierra?
ChevyCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 04:33 PM   #2 (permalink)
flamethrower

Member # 75270
Send a message via Yahoo to Bebe
Optional in both the Alpha and Adventure models!!!

As of 2009 all H3 models will come with a Cast Iron front housing.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-09-2008, 04:35 PM   #3 (permalink)
flamethrower

Member # 75270
To answer your question, there are a lot of parts that will work, but everything is different. H3 parts are much beefier.

H3 uses an Aluminum CIH in the front, it AAM 760 and an AAM 860 in the rear.
Old 05-12-2008, 01:20 PM   #4 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 83683
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevyCowboy View Post
doesnt the h3 use the same half ton front diff thats in the silverado and sierra?
No, I believe the pickups have the AAM 825.
Sewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 02:30 PM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

Member # 111451
The H3 front is from the Colorado not the 1500 series. Is this so shocking? I mean, the Canyon/Colorado is the basis for the H3, yes?

Last edited by a360chief; 05-17-2008 at 02:48 PM.
a360chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 08:50 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 100811
Yes and no.

The old joke that the H3 is a Colorado and an H2 is a Tahoe is part of the same chassis, in terms of similar parts used, the proportions and layout are different to reach the slope/breakover approach and departure angles of the h2/h3 platforms.

But yes, if something is available for a sister product it shouldn't be shocking to see it in the H2/H3 lineup.

In theory that means we may see an H2 Hybrid if they take it from the Tahoe Hybrid setup. That's if they determine if theres a market left for the H2's.
Old 05-20-2008, 12:19 AM   #7 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 83683
Quote:
Originally Posted by a360chief View Post
The H3 front is from the Colorado not the 1500 series. Is this so shocking? I mean, the Canyon/Colorado is the basis for the H3, yes?
It's actually a mixture of stuff. The diff (aluminum one) is the same as the light-duty pickups and Trailblazer. But the hubs, for instance, are the same as the 1/2 ton pickups. I believe the A-arms and some other things are beefed up on the H3 front compared to the Colorado/Canyon.
Old 06-13-2008, 03:01 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 94125
Quote:
BS

19180976 C/C Z71 Part Number front diff carrier

12479273 C/C standard front diff carrier

25812850 H3 front diff part number.

15104113 C/C control arm

15082976 H3 Control arm

Different part numbers, different parts.
Read the demise of the hummer thread really close. There is a note in there how GM was able to run C/Cs during the AAM strike. Why? C/C uses a different axle.
Gee, that means it is not the same axle. Sorry, the BS stops...

As a person who commonly has both of these vehicles on different racks next to each other, there is more uncommon than common. Even the frames are different.

Last edited by f5fstop; 06-13-2008 at 03:06 PM.
f5fstop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 03:09 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 94125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bebe View Post
Optional in both the Alpha and Adventure models!!!

As of 2009 all H3 models will come with a Cast Iron front housing.
I received some information the other day, that the front locker was standard on the off-road suspension package. Which means, even a striped H3 and the Alpha, if equipped with the suspension package will get the front locker.

Also, I believe bluetooth is only available on US/Canadian vehicles since it is incorporated onto and partially into the Onstar module. They might have some strange setup for overseas, but if they do, I do not know.
f5fstop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 03:38 PM   #10 (permalink)
flamethrower

Member # 75270
Quote:
Originally Posted by f5fstop View Post
I received some information the other day, that the front locker was standard on the off-road suspension package. Which means, even a striped H3 and the Alpha, if equipped with the suspension package will get the front locker.

Also, I believe bluetooth is only available on US/Canadian vehicles since it is incorporated onto and partially into the Onstar module. They might have some strange setup for overseas, but if they do, I do not know.
I thought the Off-road suspension package came on all Adventure models?
Old 06-13-2008, 04:58 PM   #11 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 83683
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bebe View Post
I thought the Off-road suspension package came on all Adventure models?

Yep. That's all the Adventure model is. I wonder how much more that package will cost now.
Old 06-19-2008, 08:48 PM   #12 (permalink)
Banned

Member # 111451
Quote:
Originally Posted by f5fstop View Post
BS

19180976 C/C Z71 Part Number front diff carrier

12479273 C/C standard front diff carrier

25812850 H3 front diff part number.

15104113 C/C control arm

15082976 H3 Control arm

Different part numbers, different parts.
Read the demise of the hummer thread really close. There is a note in there how GM was able to run C/Cs during the AAM strike. Why? C/C uses a different axle.
Gee, that means it is not the same axle. Sorry, the BS stops...

As a person who commonly has both of these vehicles on different racks next to each other, there is more uncommon than common. Even the frames are different.
But apparently you aren't real familiar with axles.

I am not sure what you are getting at here. Different control arms? Wow. And you are showing that the Z71 & Colorado standard "diff carrier" is different. But the "axles" are the same: The 7.63 AAM. AS IS THE H3.

A D44 uses one carrier for 3.73-down ratios & another for 3.92-up. Add the trac-loc carrier with the same breaks, and a D44 "carrier" has 4 different carrier part numbers, often available in the same vehicle (!), yet they are all D44's. Yes? Now add in the aluminum D44's & IFS D44's and then.... you get the point?

Here are just couple of the multitude of articles I found:

http://www.gulfcoastnews.com/GCNRT20...erH3Review.htm

"The H3 is built right there in Shreveport, Louisiana, where the Chevy Colorado and GMC Canyon pickups are built. In fact, the H3 is built on the Colorado/Canyon pickup chassis and drivetrain.

http://www.4wheeloffroad.com/eventco...hummer_h3.html
H3 axles

Front Type IFS with AAM 7.63-inch center
Rear Type Solid AAM 8-inch with selectable locker

These are the same size ring/pinion gears that the Colorado uses. This is the most common measure of an axle & is how they are often identified. Both vehicles use the same "axles" as they are known in the conventional sense. As in most axles, different axle ratios require the use of different carriers. Also, different suspension tuning and track widths require different suspension parts. As most axle terms really apply to SFA, maybe I lost you. So I will say it this way:

Both the Colorado & The H3 use the same differential assemblies, barring changes for gear ratio and whether or not one has a locker. Both use the AAM 7.63 front & the AAM 8.0 inch rear. Is this true or not? Maybe they use a different diff cover for looks, or different half-shafts, but they are both the same size AAM "axles."

Try all you want, the BS does stop. Hey, I am not knocking them. It is amazing that they can keep the axles together with 33" tires. They are the size of D30's & D35's, for goodness sake.

No one is trying to piss on your hummer here. But call it like it is, do not make up stuff.

We also discussed elswhere that the Tahoe/Suburban/ Avalanche & H2 are all made off of variations of the same basic chassis. The H3 & the C/C twins are made off of variations of the same chassis: why are you so insecure that admitting this worries you? Why is this an insult to you? If the vehicle performs, it performs. Period. Don't be so sensitve unlkess it is you that feel you have an inferior product that you must defend.

Last edited by a360chief; 06-19-2008 at 08:56 PM.
Old 06-19-2008, 09:31 PM   #13 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 19392
Is that a band i hear playing

Bebe's"On Board Mechanic"
speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 10:24 PM   #14 (permalink)
flamethrower

Member # 75270
Quote:
But apparently you aren't real familiar with axles.

I am not sure what you are getting at here. Different control arms? Wow. And you are showing that the Z71 & Colorado standard "diff carrier" is different. But the "axles" are the same: The 7.63 AAM. AS IS THE H3.

A D44 uses one carrier for 3.73-down ratios & another for 3.92-up. Add the trac-loc carrier with the same breaks, and a D44 "carrier" has 4 different carrier part numbers, often available in the same vehicle (!), yet they are all D44's. Yes? Now add in the aluminum D44's & IFS D44's and then.... you get the point?

Here are just couple of the multitude of articles I found:

http://www.gulfcoastnews.com/GCNRT20...erH3Review.htm

"The H3 is built right there in Shreveport, Louisiana, where the Chevy Colorado and GMC Canyon pickups are built. In fact, the H3 is built on the Colorado/Canyon pickup chassis and drivetrain.

http://www.4wheeloffroad.com/eventco...hummer_h3.html
H3 axles

Front Type IFS with AAM 7.63-inch center
Rear Type Solid AAM 8-inch with selectable locker

These are the same size ring/pinion gears that the Colorado uses. This is the most common measure of an axle & is how they are often identified. Both vehicles use the same "axles" as they are known in the conventional sense. As in most axles, different axle ratios require the use of different carriers. Also, different suspension tuning and track widths require different suspension parts. As most axle terms really apply to SFA, maybe I lost you. So I will say it this way:

Both the Colorado & The H3 use the same differential assemblies, barring changes for gear ratio and whether or not one has a locker. Both use the AAM 7.63 front & the AAM 8.0 inch rear. Is this true or not? Maybe they use a different diff cover for looks, or different half-shafts, but they are both the same size AAM "axles."

Try all you want, the BS does stop. Hey, I am not knocking them. It is amazing that they can keep the axles together with 33" tires. They are the size of D30's & D35's, for goodness sake.

No one is trying to piss on your hummer here. But call it like it is, do not make up stuff.

We also discussed elswhere that the Tahoe/Suburban/ Avalanche & H2 are all made off of variations of the same basic chassis. The H3 & the C/C twins are made off of variations of the same chassis: why are you so insecure that admitting this worries you? Why is this an insult to you? If the vehicle performs, it performs. Period. Don't be so sensitve unlkess it is you that feel you have an inferior product that you must defend.
Sent you a PM.

What you are showing here is very general information.

I can tell you from personal experience they are very different.

So my question to you is this:

Are you looking for an education or an argument? I can post every schematic and spec you ask for.

I'm willing to put the energy into it if you're willing to listen.
Old 06-20-2008, 02:46 PM   #15 (permalink)
Banned

Member # 111451
Band for telling someone who says you are speaking BS to prove it? Why are some people so touchy? Do YOU not like what you bought? If you do like it, why does this bother you? Don't walk around with a huge chip on your shoulder. Speedy's contributions to the thread are oh so enlightening. Thanks for that.

To boil it down....

Does both the H3 & the C/C twins use the Front IFS AAM 7.63-inch center
& the rear Solid AAM 8-inch center?

Can anyone else see how the D44 analogy works? They use different parts in different versions of the D44 but it is still a D44. That is true whether it is an 8-lug D44HD front with the thick axle tubes and 4:10 gears out of a K20 or a 2:71 6-lug rear out of a Grand Wagoneer. Is the K20 front shamed because it is the same series of axle that the D5 postal jeep used in the rear? Nope.

I drive a Liberty as my DD. Do you think I may hear some sniggers? The difference is that I outgrew the need to have everyone love me & validate my choices long ago. I chose what I chose for my reasons. Another's opinion is meaningless to me.

If you want to refute my facts as incorrect, then do so. But do it in a way to prove your point. The differential carrier #'s are meaningless as I showed with the D44 info. If I am mistaken that several vehicles were built off of the same chassis ( GMT900 maybe?) yet neither frame will interchange from body to body, show me.

If I am wrong, show me. Otherwise I will believe I am right & will continue to use the info that I have at hand.

I will never understand why some are so sensitive over their vehicle's equipment. No one has even shown me that the H3 7.63 is to another 7.63 what a D44HD is to a D44 and apparently the fact that both are 7.63's hurts their feelings. If they are not both 7.63 fronts, please point me to a source that refutes it & I will retract my statements & apologized for having the audacity to be wrong. IF I am wrong. And if they are both 7.63 fronts?
Old 06-20-2008, 04:22 PM   #16 (permalink)
flamethrower

Member # 75270
Quote:
Band for telling someone who says you are speaking BS to prove it? Why are some people so touchy? Do YOU not like what you bought? If you do like it, why does this bother you? Don't walk around with a huge chip on your shoulder. Speedy's contributions to the thread are oh so enlightening. Thanks for that.
JHC, who's being touchy? Pot meet kettle.

Quote:
To boil it down....

Does both the H3 & the C/C twins use the Front IFS AAM 7.63-inch center
& the rear Solid AAM 8-inch center?
No

Quote:
Can anyone else see how the D44 analogy works? They use different parts in different versions of the D44 but it is still a D44. That is true whether it is an 8-lug D44HD front with the thick axle tubes and 4:10 gears out of a K20 or a 2:71 6-lug rear out of a Grand Wagoneer. Is the K20 front shamed because it is the same series of axle that the D5 postal jeep used in the rear? Nope.
Ring gears are larger, the cases are different. Half shafts are different, axles are different.

Quote:
I drive a Liberty as my DD. Do you think I may hear some sniggers? The difference is that I outgrew the need to have everyone love me & validate my choices long ago. I chose what I chose for my reasons. Another's opinion is meaningless to me.
yawn
You are obviously much better than we are. You're need to be right drives you doesn't it? Damm dude, take a breath, you got told you were incorrect by someone who is an expert in the vehicle, and you are now on the warpath.

Who frickin cares anyway?

Quote:
If you want to refute my facts as incorrect, then do so. But do it in a way to prove your point. The differential carrier #'s are meaningless as I showed with the D44 info. If I am mistaken that several vehicles were built off of the same chassis ( GMT900 maybe?) yet neither frame will interchange from body to body, show me.

If I am wrong, show me. Otherwise I will believe I am right & will continue to use the info that I have at hand.

I will never understand why some are so sensitive over their vehicle's equipment. No one has even shown me that the H3 7.63 is to another 7.63 what a D44HD is to a D44 and apparently the fact that both are 7.63's hurts their feelings. If they are not both 7.63 fronts, please point me to a source that refutes it & I will retract my statements & apologized for having the audacity to be wrong. IF I am wrong. And if they are both 7.63 fronts?
OK I will, but I'm busy this weekend, cooking for 80 hungry Rubicon volunteers, busting their butts to keep the trail open, maintained and healthy.

You can start by referencing your questions here

http://www.aam.com/file.php/255/axle+shaft+brochure.pdf
Old 06-20-2008, 05:02 PM   #17 (permalink)
Banned

Member # 111451
That chart is nice, but it did not tell me much other than part #'s.

to keep things even, how about this:

The 2004 C/C Z71 uses what front axle ring gear size?
The 2004 H3 uses what front axle ring gear size?

The 2004 z71 uses what rear ring gear size?
The 2004 H3 uses what rear ring gear size?

I am sorry if "no" and a list of part #'s with no applications doesn't help.

I'm sorry if your BF got defensive for you. I am sorry if someone wants to cop and attitude but gets all cranky if they even THINK someone has attitude with them, according to you. To me, they have the problem.

So, to keep track of what you have told me in various methods:

The H3 frame is in fact a modified C/C frame, including boxing & extra cross braces.

The H2 is in fact a "parts bin" chassis cousin to the other GM Suv's of similar size. It uses an even less modified chassis then the H3 & is closer to its cousins in many respects.

I have read many sources about the C/C & H3 using the same axles. Pardon me if it takes more than your word and a parts list to sway me.

You ask if I want to know the truth, and then suddenly its "Damn, Dude, your need to be right..." when I ask questions is a pathetic tack to take.

Your difference in PM & public posturing is just sad.

I am truly sorry I wondered in here. The problem with any stereotype is that too many people actually fit it. What I have seen from you, F5, and your boyfriend ( all three "close friends" and obviously unbiased ) just reinforces the stereotypes. Maybe if you really thought your vehicles could stand on their own merit, you could handle someone questioning them. Maybe you should give your own rides more credit? Maybe all of the overly expensive parts you told me that you have needed to replace on your vehicle has you disliking it?

You feel you have to be seperatists. If you hate the rest of PBB so much you have to make sure you point out to me that you are not part of it, why on Earth are you part of something you apparently loathe?

Please, no more PM's. The public "tuffy" image & the PM's are just too far apart.

Good Day.