Hummer Rookie questions before a purchase - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Hummer
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-03-2008, 11:16 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 2269
Hummer Rookie questions before a purchase

I've driven a 2001 that was owned by a Dallas Cowboy, and now a Doctor friend of mine, but that thing was flawless, and out of my price range. I found a 1999 that has high miles, and is in fair condition. 200,000 miles, the A/C compressor is literally disconnected. Needs a new Soft top and TLC, the heater doesn't work, blew when Stereo was installed. It's an open top. It was a Tour vehicle, and the motor is greasy and filthy but seems to run well.

He wants 20K but I think it could be gotten a little cheaper.

Can a hard top be added instead of replacing the soft top? Or is that monitarily unreasonable?

Is it difficult to remove the body entirely? Seems to me that would be a great way of cleaning this beast up and working on things.

Are the 99's notorious for anything really horrendous like the earlier HVAC problems.

I've rebuilt and restored classic cars a time or two, but don't want to bite off more than I could chew.

What should I look for?

Pimp? Bling? "Dude, look in the mirror!"
coyote11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 02:25 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 50469
1st thing:
this is not the best Hummer forum

try
humvee.net
, and flashoffroad.com
look through the information there for your answers

as far as 99 AC --all Hummers arn't great, 99 should have the upgraded AC--taht happened in 1997.5
99s have tt4--this sucks for wheeling, but can be made better with lockers
the tour vehicles are beat to hell--take a look at the humvee forum humvee.net--there are threads about the hummer your interested in

200K is hard on a hummer--

try--this one 25K its a gasser
http://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/cto/823582633.html
Rob Everhart BITD #8052 Race Hummer Old Monster Garage Truck #52

Last edited by reverhart; 09-03-2008 at 02:28 PM.
reverhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-07-2008, 12:52 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 100811
I agree with rob, check out humvee.net or flashoffroad.

The 200,000 mile 99's that are out there [there are 3] are from Vegas and have been on sale for 5-6 months. I believe there are 2 red ones and 1 yellow one. One was rolled but repaired some time ago.

Those 3 99's were beat on pretty hard.

Interiors aren't too bad. I redid mine in my 98. It took a day to haul the seats, plastic and vinyl out [they're all just screwed together, very easy], and a few days to clean, repair and respray/dye them and put a new clear coat on them. I got a few interior bits for free from members of the community and I purchased other pieces from a dealer and ebay.

I used SEM products colorcoat for cleaning and repaint. My interior looked like ass before but now it looks new. I'm looking at doing minor bodywork in the spring, put new hinges on my doors and a new paint job.

The most expensive part on redoing my interior was new tunnel/floor vinyl/padding which ran about 500$. With all the cleaning materials, paints and misc small trim bits, it ran me about 1200$ to refresh my interior. That's new screws and fasteners, a new seat mount or two, all new bolts, cleaning out the wiring, new interior lights, cans of paint, vinyl prep, cleaner, scuff pads, etc.

Opps, I forgot the new door handles and 4 interior door panels I just got off ebay, better make that total 1700$

Off and on over the last 3 months I was working on my interior and I came to one realization:

Hummer interiors are garbage. Cheapest shit of the shit. I've seen nicer interiors in farm implements and construction machinery. That being said an older hummer with a nice condition interior will usually indicate that the owner at least took some care of the vehicle.

I'm not sure I would do that much work on a truck with 200,000 miles unless it was cheap, cheaper then what they're asking for. Screw blue book and NADA, they're useless figures for exotic, low production run, handbuilt vehicles. An H1 is a money pit. At least get a money pit that you can easily resell [ie. a lower milage truck.]

If you want to go ahead, the things I'd look for are:

-Frame rust or damage
-"slapped" springs, that is rub marks on the top and bottom of the individual spring loops, this indicates full compression from something like a jump [aka tour hummer].
-cracked aluminum body parts/missing rivets. Especially around the shifter area and passenger and driver foot wells. The only way you can check for this is to pull the dog house and the plastic tunnel pieces which means possibly pulling the front seats, fat chance you'll get a seller to agree to this.
-electrical issues
-hvac issues [hvac on a 97.5 or higher is repairable, but can run 1-3 grand for repairs, it's labor intensive and most of the components are 2-300$ each]
-The usual leaks around drive line seals, fluid condition and levels in engine and driveline components.
-The TT4 ABS controller is insanely expensive, 4-5 grand, I haven't heard of many failing but TT4 trucks are approaching the 10 year old mark and people are trying to find a parts cross reference so they don't have to pay the high AMG price for an replacement. That's why I like the 97.5 and 98 trucks, they use the old school brake system.
-everything else is straight forward.

It's cheap, but by the time you fix things up, a few thousand dollars after a while, you may be better off buying a lower mileage truck that isn't beat down.

They're 20k for a reason, they have been around that price for a long time, a few Humvee.net guys with large H1 collections ran down to check out the 3 H1's for 55,000$ deal, only to report that they passed on it.

Last edited by BigKofJustice; 09-07-2008 at 01:01 AM.
BigKofJustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 10:06 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 100811
Just to add, it's not just the high mileage thats a negative issue, it's the usage.

Theres a guy with a 95 with 500,000 miles on his h1 on the HML and his truck is still going strong, but he is the original owner and has done all the routine maintenance work.

Tour guide trucks get trashed. They get jumped, they have wear and tear of thousands of people crawling in and out of it every year, people who don't give a shit because hey, they paid 50$ to ride in the thing. Switches break, handles pull off and panels crack. Fix it? Just fix it with whatever park you can find to keep the truck running it's tour business.

Many tour groups go with surplus humvee's because theres less material to trash and it's easier to fix things. Humvees are ideal tour trucks.