Possible Hummer Demise - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Hummer
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2009, 02:07 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 80641
Possible Hummer Demise

I was reading yesterday that Gm is trying to offload the hummer brand and that no one is interested in buying it. According to the article, it was on yahoos website and i believe it was pulled from the new york times, the big three and foreign car makes are cutting cars that are not selling well. The hummer brand was apparently hit the hardest in the past couple months because it sells to such a limited market. The article said that if things didnt turn around gm was contemplating killing the brand for the time being because of bad sales.

I know most of yall on here are probably running H1s anyway but thought it was interesting and that the h2 and h3 guys might want to know.

Kind of sad that a brand like hummer was up for sale and no one wanted to buy it.

sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

[QUOTE=DillWeed;9324924]Kid... you are looking for a dance club and you stumbled into an old school tavern full of mean drunks...Run for your life.[/QUOTE]
1990 yj, 44/60, d300, howell FI- sold
offroadjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 10:26 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 100811

Got a link? I always like to read the Hummer chicken little stories.

Last edited by BigKofJustice; 01-25-2009 at 10:26 PM.
BigKofJustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-26-2009, 07:51 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 80641
its on the yahoo.com rotation right now if i can find it ill post up a link

i know its been rumored that hummer was going down before but with the way the economy is going and the way hummer's sales are going now seems like a time where it could actually happen.

[QUOTE=DillWeed;9324924]Kid... you are looking for a dance club and you stumbled into an old school tavern full of mean drunks...Run for your life.[/QUOTE]
Old 01-26-2009, 09:08 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 100811
I'll rolling my eyes at a jeep guy rolling into the forum going "guys, guess what... I'm sooooo sorrry.. but you're trucks aren't going to be made anymore.... ha ha.... "

At least that's how the post comes across to me.

Hummer sales are up internationally, and GM has little invested [ie. little to save] by killing off hummer vs selling it. Most of the vehicle production is outsourced to other companies with the exception of the H3.

Even now, Hummer sales are still up in international markets. And used Hummer sales are up domestically.

No they'll never get the 10,000 unit a month sales in California like they had a few years ago, but honestly the market for Hummer was small in the beginning. It's a niche product like most 4wd toys.

I'd like to see Hummer stick around, if Jeep and Toyota are the only 2 companies making products, that would be pretty boring. AM general is always going to be around and GM doesn't own the Humvee trademark.

There's buyers for the Hummer product/licensing, they're just haggling over it, otherwise it would have been "dead" months ago. Dealers are given an option of sticking with it or cashing out. Some cashed out months ago.

Last edited by BigKofJustice; 01-26-2009 at 09:10 AM.
BigKofJustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 01:02 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 80641
im not trying to dis hummer owners or say fuck yall.

im asking what do you guys think will happen?

Old 01-26-2009, 01:31 PM   #6 (permalink)
flamethrower

Member # 75270
Send a message via Yahoo to Bebe
I think that GM will leave it up for sale and continue to make the H3, and H3T.

I think they will try to push the hybrid H2 for one maybe two years, and then kill it.

If they would just make the H4....they would be set.
Old 01-26-2009, 01:43 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 80641
ya thats what i was thinking also... i dont even know why they are still producing the h2 it gets horrible mileage and it has a huge price tag. if they had a h4 out that was fully equiped for under 25k i bet they would stand a chance.

Old 01-26-2009, 05:07 PM   #8 (permalink)
Banned

Member # 36711
Okay, don't get me wrong here... But, lets be realistic for a second.

Of actual vehicles sold, how many actually make it off road? More so, how many are used regularly off road. The h1 excluded...., but the h2 and h3's seem to be a glorified Chevy. Sort of like the avalanche. I never really saw a future for them in all honesty.

They have been attacked since day one, labeled a gas hog s.u.v. That sure didn't help them in the general populations eyes.

For the people that own and use these vehicles, this would present a pretty crappy problem. But for the majority of owners (( soccer moms and egocentric middle class pedophiles... )), this just isn't a big impact. They will drive it for a year or two and trade it in for something else.

Personally, I would like to see this line head the other direction. Back to a more utilitarian vehicle. Now, that would place them back into a niche market. I think that might be a good thing though, and honestly... Could save this brand.

Not bashing anyone who will read this here, or these vehicles in general. Just wanted to throw that out there and see what the responses are.
Nor Cal Wheelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 08:11 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 95326
This is just my opinion so it does not mean much. I think the H2 could survive if it went through an overhaul. If they would re-vamp it to rid itself of the soccer mom image, and focus more on the H1's heritage of being a rugged off road brand, I think it could hold a niche of it's own.

What this means to me is:
-make the exterior with a slighly narrower body with removable flares
-Make it 2WD and selectable 4WD
-Front locker standard equipment
-solid front axle (GM will most likely never do this, but since it's built by AMG - they sure as heck could/would)
-Portal hubs with high pinions on the diffs, CTIS and DOT approved beadlock wheels
-water & mud proof the interior and rid it of all the luxury features
-stop putting sunroofs on them that limit the usable roof space. You cant hardly find one without a sunroof!
-make suspension with it easy to upgrade to aftermarket high shock towers so customers could convert to coil overs
-Make the factory bumpers so front/rear winches could be added with just the purchase of the winch and nothing else
-stop the chrome immediately

Unfortunately, It is going to have to offer a Hybrid and diesel version to overcome the image it has to date. They might even be able to get away with a V6 diesel - even though most would prefer the V8 Duramax

Basically, what I am getting at is a hybrid of things from the H1 and H2

I just don't see GM investing any money in a re-design at this point as it would be considered a high risk investment.
tomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 08:14 PM   #10 (permalink)
flamethrower

Member # 75270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal Wheelin View Post
Okay, don't get me wrong here... But, lets be realistic for a second.

Of actual vehicles sold, how many actually make it off road? More so, how many are used regularly off road. The h1 excluded...., but the h2 and h3's seem to be a glorified Chevy. Sort of like the avalanche. I never really saw a future for them in all honesty.

They have been attacked since day one, labeled a gas hog s.u.v. That sure didn't help them in the general populations eyes.

For the people that own and use these vehicles, this would present a pretty crappy problem. But for the majority of owners (( soccer moms and egocentric middle class pedophiles... )), this just isn't a big impact. They will drive it for a year or two and trade it in for something else.

Personally, I would like to see this line head the other direction. Back to a more utilitarian vehicle. Now, that would place them back into a niche market. I think that might be a good thing though, and honestly... Could save this brand.

Not bashing anyone who will read this here, or these vehicles in general. Just wanted to throw that out there and see what the responses are.

I'm not sure what your point is here.

The H1 will go wherever it fits
The H2 will go wherever it fits
The H3 will go wherever it fits

Last edited by Bebe; 01-26-2009 at 08:16 PM.
Bebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 08:18 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 80641
Me either...

What was the first year the h2 was sold?

Anyone know when it is do for its next model, seems like that is when cars get canceled.

Old 01-26-2009, 08:22 PM   #12 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 19392
Quote:
You're not trying to start a fight are you

Just like any brand of 4x4 more go to the mall than to the trail.

If it does what you want it to do then so be it.

Bebe's"On Board Mechanic"
speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 08:27 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 80641
yes this is true but most 4x4 get more than 10 mpg without a trailer behind them.

Old 01-26-2009, 08:38 PM   #14 (permalink)
flamethrower

Member # 75270
Quote:
Originally Posted by offroadjunkie View Post

What was the first year the h2 was sold?
H1 - 1992 (1993 model year) ranges between 9-15 mpg
H2 - 2003 (2004 model year) ranges between 9-13 mpg
H3 - 2005 (2006 model year) ranges between 16-20 mpg

Many power train variations among all three models from year to year.
Old 01-26-2009, 08:39 PM   #15 (permalink)
flamethrower

Member # 75270
Quote:
yes this is true but most 4x4 get more than 10 mpg without a trailer behind them.

Are you counting full size V-8, 10 4x4 gas engine trucks in that statement?

Last edited by Bebe; 01-26-2009 at 08:40 PM.
Old 01-26-2009, 11:53 PM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 113619
Send a message via Yahoo to stjames151
If anyone thinks the % of Jeep owners that push their trucks is significantly > or = to the % of "H" owners off-road, they're naive, insulting, and deserving of no less than a demoralizing and ass-handing demonstration of what can be done in a "First Class" truck. The OP is clearly an ignorant ' tard deserving a wide berth and helmet for attempting to "find out what Hummer owners think will happen" in a section that is used to taking crap from every group from greenies (earth killer argument) to "wheelers" (mall crawler argument).

To the OP:
In a segment that needs no Nomex to withstand the flaming, you alone stand unprepared for the heat that lies ahead.
Old 01-27-2009, 07:01 AM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 107089
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomp View Post
This is just my opinion so it does not mean much. I think the H2 could survive if it went through an overhaul. If they would re-vamp it to rid itself of the soccer mom image, and focus more on the H1's heritage of being a rugged off road brand, I think it could hold a niche of it's own.

What this means to me is:
-make the exterior with a slighly narrower body with removable flares
-Make it 2WD and selectable 4WD
No such thing as a 4X2 HUMMER defeats hertiage
-Front locker standard equipment
-solid front axle (GM will most likely never do this, but since it's built by AMG - they sure as heck could/would)
-Portal hubs with high pinions on the diffs, CTIS and DOT approved beadlock wheels
These three all kind of go together, solid axle and locker easy, but would raise center of gravity and make it more difficult to achieve the 60% side grade. Geared hubs are required for CTIS and that would add about $5k per corner, making it more cost prohibitive
-water & mud proof the interior and rid it of all the luxury features
-stop putting sunroofs on them that limit the usable roof space. You cant hardly find one without a sunroof!
-make suspension with it easy to upgrade to aftermarket high shock towers so customers could convert to coil overs
-Make the factory bumpers so front/rear winches could be added with just the purchase of the winch and nothing else
All you need to add a winch to a H2 is a craddle that fits a standard 2X2 hitch (that is why they put a front hitch on the truck)
-stop the chrome immediately
Chrome is not standard on the H2 until you go to the Luxury package.

Unfortunately, It is going to have to offer a Hybrid and diesel version to overcome the image it has to date. They might even be able to get away with a V6 diesel - even though most would prefer the V8 Duramax

Basically, what I am getting at is a hybrid of things from the H1 and H2

I just don't see GM investing any money in a re-design at this point as it would be considered a high risk investment.

GM is/was developing a 4.5L Duramax for the 1500 trucks as well as the H2 nut have since dropped the H2 from all information since anouncing the possible sale of the brand.

According to the last video conference with GM they have 11 different serious lookers at the brand. HUMMER is viable in most every market around the world except here, where you can get stares for driving a H2 but they oggle over your $120k S550 that gets the same mileage yet requires premium fuel and gets charged a gas guzzler tax!
boom harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 07:10 AM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 80641
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bebe View Post
Are you counting full size V-8, 10 4x4 gas engine trucks in that statement?
lol but they get 10mpg even if there is a trailer behind them

Old 01-27-2009, 10:30 AM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 121835
I'm a Jeep guy and like the H3TA, the Hummers owners I have talk with ,like there Hummers,,but say, mpg is poor,visiblety could be better,and it cost to much.,so why can't Gm put a diesel motor in it?, as ,all of you know, it would give it much better mpg! To lower the vehicle cost, make it more of a utility, add a right handed steering option and sale 100,000 to the post office, then maybe i can get my mail !

Last edited by slw2run; 01-29-2009 at 12:53 PM.
slw2run is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 11:59 AM   #20 (permalink)
flamethrower

Member # 75270
AM General layoffs could spell end for Hummer H2

http://www.motorauthority.com/am-gen...hummer-h2.html

The layoffs took place Monday, but GM's latest announcement could extend the production halt

General Motors yesterday announced it would be laying off 2,000 workers and reducing production at 10 North American plants over the coming months. At the same time, AM General, producer of the Hummer H2, laid off 200 workers from its Mishawaka, Indiana plant. Now GM's extended production halts could combine with the layoffs to put H2 production on ice for the foreseeable future.

Production wasn't expected to restart until March at the earliest, but with GM's announcement of a general slowdown or halt in output, plant officials and workers are fearing H2 production could be delayed even longer - and possibly permanently.

In the mean time, AM General is trying to find places within the company for the laid off H2 workers, though company spokesman Craig MacNab also says, "Nobody knows what's going to happen with the H2 plant," according to Mishawaka local news outlet WSBT. When asked directly if GM had plans to kill the H2, MacNab said only, "There are no plans regarding that. We haven't announced anything."

The unstated 'yet' at the end of that sentence speaks louder in its absence, but on the other hand, the influx of cash from Treasury loans and continued low fuel prices could keep GM and AM General in the Hummer business for a few more months.

With the brand already under strategic review and being shopped to interested parties, however, it's only a matter of time.

Last edited by Bebe; 01-27-2009 at 12:00 PM.
Old 01-27-2009, 02:57 PM   #21 (permalink)
Banned

Member # 36711
Quote:

All I was saying is this... LOOK UP. They should take it back to a utilitarian platform.

I could honestly give a fawk what happens to the Hummer vehicle line. I don't, nor will I ever drive one.

Completely sorry if I ruffled any ones gawd damn feathers.

I will say this though. The rumors sure are true....
Nor Cal Wheelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 03:05 PM   #22 (permalink)

Member # 100811
Here's what the rumor mill has listed for Hummer buyers, in no particular order:

-Navistar [who are also looking into buying some of GMC's commercial lineup, ie. Topkick/Kodak trucks, maybe other parts of the lineup]

-AM General with financial backing from a chinese automaker. This would be an odd mix, but since AMG builds the H1/H2, they'ed run things for north America and China runs things internationally, with input from AMG.

-Tata or Mahindra from India

-A firm made up from Arab businessmen

-Some rich Russian oil businessmen [Seeing how Russians seem to love Hummers I can understand their interest].

As for any others, I can guess other smaller truck/bus companies wouldn't mind taking a crack at it if the price is right.
Old 01-27-2009, 03:11 PM   #23 (permalink)

Member # 100811
Quote:
All I was saying is this... LOOK UP. They should take it back to a utilitarian platform.

I could honestly give a fawk what happens to the Hummer vehicle line. I don't, nor will I ever drive one.

Completely sorry if I ruffled any ones gawd damn feathers.

I will say this though. The rumors sure are true....
The mass market doesn't want a utilitarian Hummer, Jeep or any other make. We're the exception.

I wanted a utilitarian, diesel Hummer, and I had to buy a used H1, that was my only option.

The mass market doesn't off road or wheel on a semi to regular basis, and from observation, the majority of people in our sport typically don't buy showroom new vehicles to take to the trail. We buy used and modify.

So on that end, the auto industry doesn't really care that much about us except when it comes to marketing.

The H2 new's isn't really news, 2 year ago AMG stated the H2 line was going to end by 2010-2011 in the auto news media, so it's hardly a surprise. They already announced making other vehicles n the H2 building last year.

Besides, who would buy a new H2 at 50,000K plus when you can get some guys street driven used truck for half that.
Old 01-27-2009, 05:53 PM   #24 (permalink)

Member # 95326
Quote:
So you just made up an assumption all on your own that the H2s get less MPG than this? I get 14.7mpg on the highway IN AN H2!
tomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 01:30 PM   #25 (permalink)

Member # 121835
Chrysler/jeep could kill the GM hummer line by building hummer type tops for some of its Jeep line, and start by putting the H3TA top on the wrangler J8Military Jeep ,that has a diesel engine. but want. they plan to market a honda ridge line type of Jeep ! if you go toallpar.com
and read news and rumors you will find updated info, I'm just looking for the best 4X4 that i Can afford, I know the hummers H3 are a chev truck,with a hummer top, so you should be-able to find parts When GM drops the hummer line, but its a cost and mpg thing for me .

Last edited by slw2run; 02-02-2009 at 03:30 PM.
slw2run is offline   Reply With Quote