Need help on H3? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Hummer
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-20-2009, 06:26 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 122808
Need help on H3?

Sorry guys for newb questions but Iam a little outside my realm in here. Dont know much about Hummers ( H3) outside what I did with them in the military (H1). I did alot of searching but I cant seem to pin down good info on the H3.

Back story: Father wanted a newer all-train SUV, so we went to the CarMax and started looking. Being as we are a jeep family we wanted to stay jeep. Well we just stumbled onto a 06 H3 with the Adventure package. It appears to be a good deal.

What I know: it has a 3.5L 5 cylinder motor, Electronic locker in the rear, 4-1 T-case, Auto-trans and of course all the other trimmings. Not good on gas and its not going to when at the drags.

What I would like to know:
(1) when flat towing do you need to leave the keys in the on position? (to keep the steering wheel from locking up when turning) Will this drain the Bat?

(2) Any and all other info you may have on them.
It will be towed behind a coach, used on lite trails and as a daily driver.

Again sorry for the newb questions and i don't like coming here and bogging this forum down but I just cant find good info. Also if you a link that I can use I will that would great and I will be on my way.

Thanks again.
sincerely, humble jeep owner.

Last edited by 0311 Infantry; 09-20-2009 at 11:43 PM.
0311 Infantry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 11:14 PM   #2 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 83683
Sounds like its just an Adventure model, not Alpha. Alphas have a V8 and came out in the 2008 model year.

For flat towing, the key does not need to be in the ignition. Just put the T-case in neutral and the tranny in park. There are detailed instructions in the owners manual.
Sewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-20-2009, 11:40 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 122808
Yes it is the Adventure model.
The concern was keeping the steering wheel in the unlocked position with out draining the batter ( so when towing the front tires would follow).

I will take a look at the manual when we go back tomorrow I'll read up.
Thanks for your help
Old 09-21-2009, 06:53 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 107089
They are fine for flat towing, I have several clients that flat tow their H3. Put your foot on the brake, select neutral in the transfmission, hold the 4 high open and 4 low buttons count to 20, you will hear a click and the "N" on the dash will light up red, set the parking brake, turn the engine off and put the car in neutral. If they are going to do light wheeling with this they would not evena really need the adventure. They may want to look at a 2007 for the 3.7l I-5 as you get about 20% more power and a 2007.5 will have the re-designed door panel so the window and lock switches are more user freindly. I hope this helps, PM if you have any questions or if I can help I work for a HUMMER dealership
boom harvey is offline   Reply With Quote