H1 programmers - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Hummer
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2010, 06:02 PM   #1 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 73963
H1 programmers

Im close to getting an H1. Ill mainly be using it for cold weather trips into the sierras where I have a cabin. There are some milder trails near the cabin i love to run in the snow. I often tow my trail rig to the cabin with a 6.7L cummins to run the snow trails but am frustrated that I sometimes cant tow my trail rig because the road up the mountain is too dangerous for towing. I often take all 4 of my kids with me onto the mountain trails and so i need a rig that can get them all there. I would love to run the mountain trails without taking a trail rig. I also am into expedition type stuff and the hummer seems perfect. We have a 100 series landcruiser and its nice and capable but its too small for all the people and gear we stuff into it. its too small for an extended trip. I've also considered an expedition powerstroke 4x4 on 35's and a short bed cummins 4x4 quad cab. These 2 choices would likely make more sense but i've been in the h1 and its just cool. I want the hummer bad. Wife said ok (yes)

Im looking at 99+ machine or earlier machines that have upgraded to turbo because I just cant get there slow. We often travel to arizona and utah where we play in the desert. my question is this: on flat highway can the 6.5L turbo run 80mph continuously? this question seems stupid but its important to me. i cant stand to waste time. I drive strait through and my kids are 8, 6,4,2 years old. fuel econolmy means nothing to me i just want to cruise at speed out on the highway. this is the biggest reason im considering powerstroked excursion.

could the diablo tuner be the answer?
http://www.rubberduck4x4.com/h1/perf...lfaprogrammer/
laproscopic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 11:03 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 106274
adding any form of programmer to the 6.5 is a recipe for disaster......your best bet is an Alpha model although it will severly hurt your budget(if any)
Black06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-12-2010, 11:34 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 93830
I read on the HML that the max sustained rpm for the 6.5td was 2350 (which on my truck is about 68 mph), top speed is listed as 83. Most I know keep their trucks at 65 on the fwy. These trucks aren't meant for speed -- they are shaped like a brick, and geared for wheeling.

rb
Old 01-13-2010, 08:24 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 14836
My h1 is 2002 6.5td it has no programmer just stock and does fine. Towing on flat ground can handle 80 but just keep an eye on temp because it starts going up even without towing a load. You will notice that your speed will be determined by highway at times but like you will always hear these aren meant for towing fast. On a good note towing with the all wheel drive is a great plus. I got caught in a snow storm towing a viper and some of the hills that semi trucks werent making it up and jack knifing the hummer made it up with some persuation of the skinny pedal. if your set on upgrading the ecm i would invest on doing doing exhaust, cooling, etc.. just to try to keep it alive longer. The guys at predator motorsports have always been great with me.

Old 01-13-2010, 08:29 AM   #5 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 73963
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black06 View Post
adding any form of programmer to the 6.5 is a recipe for disaster......your best bet is an Alpha model although it will severly hurt your budget(if any)
thats sad. the alpha is out of budget. a 12v 5.9 cummins conversion would solve the problem but i dont have the time for that right now. so cranking another 50hp and another 100ft/lbs with a programmer is a bad idea? I wonder if many are using programmers on the 6.5?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron b View Post
I read on the HML that the max sustained rpm for the 6.5td was 2350 (which on my truck is about 68 mph), top speed is listed as 83. Most I know keep their trucks at 65 on the fwy. These trucks aren't meant for speed -- they are shaped like a brick, and geared for wheeling.

rb
bummer. I would like at leaste 75mph. on a 12 hour drive to utah that extra 10mph gets you there 2+ hours faster if you factor in extra potty breaks for the time. that speed is also good for 2 less barbie dvds.
Old 01-13-2010, 08:39 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 14836
Not really a bummer, like i said it can handle top speeds just not forever. I take mine up to 90 in some spots to pass people but mostly downgrades. Maybe the 65 thing is for older non turbo versions. but will handle from 70 - 80 mph no problem just learn to be easy on it for 70 at times. when I towed this last time it was from el paso to houston round trip only to stop for fueling loading the viper and heading back home. ohh and it will offroad alot better than a stock 3/4 - 1 ton truck stop. some offroading pics to still keep it an offroading forum.

Old 01-13-2010, 08:41 AM   #7 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 73963
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildjeeper View Post
My h1 is 2002 6.5td it has no programmer just stock and does fine. Towing on flat ground can handle 80 but just keep an eye on temp because it starts going up even without towing a load. You will notice that your speed will be determined by highway at times but like you will always hear these aren meant for towing fast. On a good note towing with the all wheel drive is a great plus. I got caught in a snow storm towing a viper and some of the hills that semi trucks werent making it up and jack knifing the hummer made it up with some persuation of the skinny pedal. if your set on upgrading the ecm i would invest on doing doing exhaust, cooling, etc.. just to try to keep it alive longer. The guys at predator motorsports have always been great with me.

nice. So 80 mph is poss. and I wont by towing much with it and certainly not my 10,000 trailer/crawler for any distance for than 100miles from my house to local trails-thats what my 2wd cummins is for.

and nice viper. my racer is a c4s pcar
Old 01-13-2010, 08:52 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 14836
Nice! The viper isnt mine i picked it up for a good friend of mine. Cars have never been my thing I hate struggling to get in and out them. Plus something about driving that low just doesnt do it for me, even though its a blast to drive. OHh shit does a Baja Bug count as a car, haha but its taller than most
Old 01-13-2010, 08:54 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 109614
Another opinion: 80 is possible BUT very hard on a truck that was designed to run 45 mph in convoys. The governor is set at 83 for a reason, they dont go faster. You will fry the TCase, possibly the geared hubs, then the tires etc. too many rpms. We travel 60 all day long, the ride is very comfortable. (Running the same distance in the 3/4 ton Ram at 85 just tires us out).If you would want to find out more about a Cummins conversion get in touch with Steve Rumore, Avalanche Engineering. He has one. X2, the Alpha is more highwayfriendly, speed and noise.
Guinness44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 09:10 AM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 50469
my two cents
towing, there is no way a hummer can maintain 80
I overhead just going hoem everyday from work, (I live at 5600 ft, and comute up and down the mountain)

A stock 6.5 is only 190 hp,
I would strongly suggest not gettign a humemr to tow for long trips unless it is a 2004 or later truck (optimizer or Duramax)
OR a truck with an engine conversion
Rob Everhart BITD #8052 Race Hummer Old Monster Garage Truck #52
reverhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 09:21 AM   #11 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 73963
wont be towing anything heavy with the hummer. we have quads/dirtbikes and so will likely be pulling a small trailer with them on occasion but thats it.

the h1 has the same tranny and tcase and rear end as many US trucks/jeeps that go 80 mph all the time. and the alpha h1 has the same basic hubs as the 6.5td.

it seems like the only thing keeping the h1 6.5td from going fast is the motor. and i still dont see why the 6.5td cant be squeezed a little for more power. I like the exhaust idea-ive done lots of exhaust.

the nice ride is a plus with my wife. my dodge only rides nice if she is loaded with a half ton of gear and a heavy trailer

how about the programmers?

Last edited by laproscopic; 01-13-2010 at 09:23 AM.
Old 01-13-2010, 09:31 AM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 14836
Check predator motorsports.
Old 01-13-2010, 09:52 AM   #13 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 73963
Quote:
Check predator motorsports.
http://www.predatorinc.com/aluminumradiator.aspx
$1300 radiator

http://www.predatorinc.com/65tdrapje...jectorset.aspx
$700 injectors

http://www.predatorinc.com/1996-200365td.aspx
$1100 for computer, fuel pump, wastegate, intake

$400 for DIY 4" exhaust

so about $4000 to make the 6.5 td perform like a lightly modded 1st gen 5.9 cummins.

if the 6.5 engine will hold reliably under these mods this sort of combo could, in theory, be just the ticket

I wonder if any have blown their 6.5 trying to squeeze 100hp from bolt ons such as these?
Old 01-13-2010, 01:19 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 14836
Best people to ask that question would be the people from predator motorsports, theyve been real honest with me. If I were you i would look for the newest one you could find on your budget that seems less abused. As when purchasing any car if you can try to see if its an f block engine since those have the cracked 8cyl problem fixed. Then upgrade as time and your personal preference permits. You might just be happy with the towing capabilities it has out of the box. They really are the best all around vehicle in my book just not the best at everything, but lets be real nothing is. you said you already have a towrig so your good with that, you got your trail rig so your good with that, now get your h1 as a small toy hauler/ expedition vehicle to get you up at your cabin when the weather really sucks vehicle haha
Old 01-13-2010, 11:00 PM   #15 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 73963
Quote:
Best people to ask that question would be the people from predator motorsports, theyve been real honest with me. If I were you i would look for the newest one you could find on your budget that seems less abused. As when purchasing any car if you can try to see if its an f block engine since those have the cracked 8cyl problem fixed. Then upgrade as time and your personal preference permits. You might just be happy with the towing capabilities it has out of the box. They really are the best all around vehicle in my book just not the best at everything, but lets be real nothing is. you said you already have a towrig so your good with that, you got your trail rig so your good with that, now get your h1 as a small toy hauler/ expedition vehicle to get you up at your cabin when the weather really sucks vehicle haha
ill give em a call

if you could direct me to this "fblock" issue id appreciate it. i have read about the cracking 8cyl issue. what year did they upgrade to the "fblock"?

the expedition factor is huge. i just love how much gear the h1 can swallow. and the stance is so wide it can hold a mass of weight up top without being topheavy/unstable. and 37's out of the box. damn
Old 01-13-2010, 11:31 PM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 14836
Here is a link that explains F & Z block diff in vin numbers. Its only a couple links down. Same thread also has a link to lynch hummer that is perfect for the important changes during different year H1's
/forum/hummer/850962-h-1-vin-denotations.html
Old 01-14-2010, 06:01 AM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 52752
I would get in touch with either Kennedy Diesel or Heath Diesel. They both do a bunch of work with the 6.5. There is a turbo upgrade for the 6.5, it is called the ATT. You can find it over here, www.thetruckstop.com that forum has a bunch of people on it that LOVE the 6.5.

Micky
bowtied_micky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 08:03 AM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 50469
Using a hummer for long trips with the family can be an issue at highway speeds just due to the noise in the cabin

It can get to the point where you can't talk back and forth-- hat can be good sometimes

thats something else to consider

what ever you do take it for a long test drive to make sure your getting what you expected. the newer the model the quieter.
Rob Everhart BITD #8052 Race Hummer Old Monster Garage Truck #52

Last edited by reverhart; 01-14-2010 at 08:03 AM.
reverhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 05:05 PM   #19 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 20053
Don't expect to get any big gains out of the 6.5. You may gain an extra 30 -40 maybe if you did every mod out there.
Most of the gains with the ecms are not peak gains but do flatten out the power curve some.
I have a upgraded turbo, ecm and exhaust. The best thing I have done was the turbo, wakes the engine up in the mid to high rpms.
How will you seat 4 kids in the H1 and yourself? I thought they were a 4 seater
Old 01-14-2010, 05:17 PM   #20 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 108707
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtied_micky View Post
I would get in touch with either Kennedy Diesel or Heath Diesel. They both do a bunch of work with the 6.5. There is a turbo upgrade for the 6.5, it is called the ATT. You can find it over here, www.thetruckstop.com that forum has a bunch of people on it that LOVE the 6.5.

Micky

Beat me to it. The ATT + the FTB mod w/ Heath tune Will wake up that 6.5.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey D View Post
Don't expect to get any big gains out of the 6.5. You may gain an extra 30 -40 maybe if you did every mod out there.
Most of the gains with the ecms are not peak gains but do flatten out the power curve some.
I have a upgraded turbo, ecm and exhaust. The best thing I have done was the turbo, wakes the engine up in the mid to high rpms.
How will you seat 4 kids in the H1 and yourself? I thought they were a 4 seater
Do some reading here http://www.thetruckstop.us/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=229 and you might be surprized what a 6.5 can do..

It's no 12v for sure, but there not the Dog they once were.

Last edited by dragogt; 01-14-2010 at 05:17 PM.
dragogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 11:41 AM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 95754
I'm not a H1 expert, but I know my way around 6.5's. The engine will handle the tuner and can run right on the governor for extended periods. The problem lies in keeping it cool. The 6.5 TD are notorious for building a lot of heat and not being able to cool themselves and the Hummer platform only makes it worse. I would install the biggest aluminum radiator that you can fit along with an auxiliary fan setup. An intercooler would help out a lot too.

Afterwards I would install a free flowing exhaust and intake as these engines are very restricted in stock form and these two upgrades alone make a huge difference.

Last edited by Rot Box; 01-15-2010 at 11:42 AM.
Rot Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 09:03 AM   #22 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 73963
I spoke with Preditor on the phone but the tech guy couldn't talk and im waiting for his call.

Thanks. Ok guys I have the hummer bug bad but I'm not sure if it is the fam vihicle i envision or not. I'd realy like to wheel one hard first. So my little bro looks at this truck for me this week in Salt lake. They just got it in.

http://getwwa.com/cars/salvage/4b2cf0cc622b4

it had been recently rolled. the right rear quarter was crushed and needs replacing and the B billar needs to be replaced but the rest of the truck is clean. It started right up. has lots of spares and the parts to replace the b pillar. straight up beater hummer. I baught it last night unseen by me for $10,000

Did I get raked?
Old 01-16-2010, 02:36 PM   #23 (permalink)

Member # 109614
IF its a 93, its got the 6.2 and 3speed tranny. But it looks like a HMMWV, and a 93 would be really rare. They released some 85s, not totally sure. (It looks A LOT like my buddies 85, except for the crashrash). Thinking I could get a civie twodoor here locally for about 20, w. the 6.5NA, 4speed, that drives (but non CTIS), not too sure about this deal. Those aftermarket wheels, wrong backspacing, are not good for the hubs. Try to buy a truck that drives, and testdrive/check it out well before buying. Even a drivable one can be a good project, if the owner neglected maintenance. Project Hummers are BIG projects. If it was rolled, the frame can be bent, no telling from who sais what till its measured. Not having CTIS, one can upgrade that pretty easily. The parts for that are worth more than what AMG used to charge for it MSRP. A AMG Hummer without CTIS, is like a 4wd without lowrange.
Guinness44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 07:28 PM   #24 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 73963
Yea its a gamble to throw money at this truck. last week after they got it at auction it was cheaper. but it didn't run then. I almost baught it then but was worried the motor might be gone. soon as they they started her 2 days ago the price went up. Once it was cleaned up and driving they said the price would go up again. Fun little gamble. we shal see if it was a bad call or not. My little bro gave it a good look over for me and said it looked fairly clean save for the rear fender.

I think ctis is cool. would be great to air down on the fly while entering the trail and the air up on the way out. however I wheel with a co2 tank and it takes little time to air back up. Besides I just cant immagine an h1 can truly wheel to a degree where airing down is going to make much diff. We shall see.

Perhaps lockers but not CTIS. Planning on soft top and soft doors. likely have line-x laid on the inside. Fab some sliders. Then will beat it sensless. I dont suspect the hummer can wheel anything close to my lexus

Last edited by laproscopic; 01-16-2010 at 07:37 PM.
Old 01-17-2010, 10:25 AM   #25 (permalink)

Member # 93830
nice Lexus build. Not sure I've ever seen one on the hammers...or ever will again! -- that's a mean truck.

rb