Pirate 4x4 banner

1974 international 1ton 4wd diesel conversion

4K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  Diesel Smoke 
#1 ·
Hi everybody i'm a newbie when it comes to internationals and have a few questions about there frame and 52'' spring swap.

I have a 1974 international 1ton 2wd pick up that i'm gonna convert to 4wd using a 1979 Chevy Dana 60 front and plan on using 52inch Chevy springs.

How similar are Chevy vs international frame? i plan on getting a Diy4x4 b52 spring conversion for the front.Will this conversion kit give me a good start with mounting these spring up front?

the motor i plan on swapping into the International is a 1986 6.9 diesel with a Ats turbo kit will the 52 springs handle the weight or will i sack them out quickly?

#2 ·
So you have an IFS A-arm 2wd truck and want to make it 4x4 with leaf springs?

You need to fabricate a shackle hanger that installs in either the strut rod mounting holes, or in the stock 4x4 shackle mounting holes just in front of them. If you use the forward holes, you'll probably find your springs are too long.

Up front, it's easy. A chunk of angle bolted to the frame for the inner side, and flattened Z looking mount for the outbooard side.

You will need to remove the whole IFS crossmember/subframe thing.

The steering box is ready for cross-over at least.

#3 ·
You need to fabricate a shackle hanger that installs in either the strut rod mounting holes, or in the stock 4x4 shackle mounting holes just in front of them. If you use the forward holes, you'll probably find your springs are too long.

Up front, it's easy. A chunk of angle bolted to the frame for the inner side, and flattened Z looking mount for the outbooard side.
Okay that's what i thought the hole ahead of the strut rod was.

Can you elaborate the up front part Z looking mount.

#5 · (Edited)
I've got a set of 52s in the front holding up the 7.3L PSD in my Scout, I'm still tweaking the suspension, but I left the overloads in for now, the springs are nice and flat. 52s should be fine.

Post up some pics.

#7 ·
Hi everybody i'm a newbie when it comes to internationals

There should be a pop-up that comes onto your screen when people write this that instantly redirects them to the Binder Planet.

#9 ·
tsm1mt- ya that's what my frame look and i know what your talking about to do with the front leaf spring hanger mounts,

Now from what i have read on here my frame is the same as a 2wd 74 Chevy 1ton correct?

I plan on using a dodge Dana 70 drw axle in place of the axle that's in it now (looks like a 2ton unit). and 14bolt hubs will bolt on the 70 rear?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.