Scout II BUILD with Rockwells, Cummins 12V, and 46" Claws - Page 3 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > International Harvester
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2012, 09:36 AM   #51 (permalink)

Member # 18592
Send a message via AIM to binderbound
Looks

love the frame plates. Coulda used those on my junk a few months ago.

Wheels are cool too.
Old 01-29-2012, 11:08 AM   #52 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 191749
Fawkin sweet build awesome work!
Subscribed!

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk
BrokeBrewKnow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 01-29-2012, 11:23 AM   #53 (permalink)

Member # 681
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Scout View Post
ohh my, do you really think we care about what you sold?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angler1979 View Post
What a dick!
Respect your elders

Sweet build, how much coinage have you dropped into it so far? What kind of wheeling are you going to be doing, it's going to be one heavy MF'er. Is this build in honor of Ed's dismissal?

Last edited by Scouty; 01-29-2012 at 11:32 AM.
Scouty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2012, 06:10 PM   #54 (permalink)

Member # 206164
To respond to some statements & answer some questions:

Quote:
Originally Posted by guidolyons View Post
Blak- Looking good, obviously a lot of planning (solid works models out the ass!) involved. I'll be interested on how those leaf springs handle the axle wrap even with the traction bar(s). You are half way to building a 4 link
Yeah I am curious too, its definitely a hybrid setup...not the usual anti-wrap setup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtimingman View Post
First rate work! very very nice attention to detail!
Only thing is that mother looks aweful tall? Your CG is going to be kinda high isn't it? even with the body lift out?
Keep in mind that it is a 3.0" body lift, and as it sits in the pics it's just an empty frame and body. With the Cummins, tranny, 203/205 doubler, winch, gas tank, etc...in I think that at a minimum it will settle another 1.5" (the springs are pretty soft), 4.50" + is substantial in my mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scouty View Post
Respect your elders

Sweet build, how much coinage have you dropped into it so far? What kind of wheeling are you going to be doing, it's going to be one heavy MF'er. Is this build in honor of Ed's dismissal?
That's a good question, I haven't really kept track of total build costs...I tend to sell stuff and accumulate parts as I go. I guess if I wanted to I could probably set down and come up with a pretty good estimate. I have been able to do it on a budget though, sourcing parts from the PNP, Craigslist, etc., has kept cost down. Also; believe it or not designing and fabbing custom parts has also kept costs down since I do all the work.

You're right it is going to be a heavy Scout, I'm curious to run it across the scales once its up and running. For the type of wheeling...with the low gearing and the torque I have built it to rock crawl, probably will do some snow with it too if there is decent floatation.

I am not familiar with "Ed's dismissal"....anyone care to elaborate?

Last edited by Blak Falken; 01-30-2012 at 01:19 AM.
Blak Falken is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2012, 07:38 PM   #55 (permalink)

Member # 681
Where in NorCal are you located? Would like to see that thing in action when it's done.

Ed had weight issues .
Old 01-29-2012, 10:21 PM   #56 (permalink)

Member # 194919
sweet build. im very interested in seeing how the rear suspension ends up working with the fixed traction bars.
PINITTOWINIT707 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2012, 01:04 AM   #57 (permalink)

Member # 206164
Quote:
Where in NorCal are you located? Would like to see that thing in action when it's done.

Ed had weight issues .
I'm not to far North from you, in the Oroville/Chico area.
Old 01-30-2012, 08:25 AM   #58 (permalink)
KOA-789

Member # 11777
I saw all the solidworks posts and thought I was lost for a second. Had to check to see if I was actually in the IH section...

Nice work. Motivates me to want to work on my junk...
Capt. Nemo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2012, 10:10 AM   #59 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 178400
Send a message via AIM to LibertySand
Do you have the DXF's for the frame plates?! I would love to get my hands on those. I like your subtle Iron Crosses here and there. Really slick and clean.

MY 76 LOADSTAR RESCUE/RV
LibertySand is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2012, 02:54 PM   #60 (permalink)

Member # 115008
Quote:
Respect your elders

stating the obvious. dickhead comment to make.

Nice build btw.
haddixj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2012, 03:02 PM   #61 (permalink)

Member # 72829
Wow, I can't wait to see the finished product. Would you take it to a show such as the Binder Bee?
Old 01-30-2012, 06:50 PM   #62 (permalink)

Member # 206164
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertySand View Post
Do you have the DXF's for the frame plates?! I would love to get my hands on those. I like your subtle Iron Crosses here and there. Really slick and clean.
Thanks, I think a little extra detail here and there can go a long ways, I have tried to tie it all together with the spider web and Iron Cross cut-outs.

I could potentially get you some frame plates cut if there was anymore interest I could justify making some needed revisions. To create solid models of the frame plates I had to re-create the contour of the frame which was somewhat difficult...I did it in a crude manner by taking a lengthy series of measurements in the X and Y plane, I put these data points into Solidworks and used splines to interpolate the curve through the points. My rear frame plates came out almost perfect, I oversized everything slightly so I could grind here and there for an improved fit-up. However I made an error in an angle on the front plates which I easily fixed with some cutting and welding but I would have to re-work them a little.

I started plating everything after I did the rear spring hangers...0.250" fully boxed hangers (very rigid), welded to a frame that is roughly 0.125" thick (not so rigid in comparison) creates areas of stress concentration at the weld joints. During cyclic loading as experienced when the vehicle articulates off road the frame will flex at the weld joints, over time this will fatigue the frame at these locations and lead to a possible failure or fracturing of the material. As you know the frame plates distribute this force over a greater area reducing stress in the material.

I would recommend using 10 gauge, at that thickness the increase in strength should be more than sufficient while keeping weight down and not making everything overly rigid.

***I got alot of pictures of the frame plates when I did the front of the frame, both fresh off the laser and as they were being welded on, so there will be more on this to come.***

Quote:
Originally Posted by gustav129 View Post
Wow, I can't wait to see the finished product. Would you take it to a show such as the Binder Bee?
I would be potentially interested taking it to the Binder Bee this year if it is up and running in time. I'll see how it goes...it's getting close.

Last edited by Blak Falken; 01-30-2012 at 07:18 PM.
Old 01-30-2012, 09:25 PM   #63 (permalink)

Member # 194919
im interested in frame plates.
PINITTOWINIT707 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2012, 09:23 AM   #64 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 178400
What laser are you using?

MY 76 LOADSTAR RESCUE/RV
Old 01-31-2012, 10:05 AM   #65 (permalink)

Member # 206164
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertySand View Post
What laser are you using?
I have had all my parts cut on a Mazak machine with a 4'x8' table.

It produces very high quality parts with tight tolerances. They come out so clean they require very little to no deburring.

Last edited by Blak Falken; 01-31-2012 at 10:07 AM.
Old 01-31-2012, 10:34 AM   #66 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 178400
Mazak is a good company. Would be cool to have one of there 5 Axis vertical cutting machines. Would make for some killer new high flow water pumps for the old IH mills.

MY 76 LOADSTAR RESCUE/RV
Old 01-31-2012, 09:02 PM   #67 (permalink)

Member # 165017
Looks pretty sweet! Just curious how far you have made it on the front caliper brackets? The rears are pretty straight forward, but I've seen a couple variations of the front that have made me unsure of how to go about it. Have you tackled those yet?
Old 02-01-2012, 10:29 AM   #68 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 161326
Lovin it, work looks very clean, keep up the good stuff
Old 02-01-2012, 11:29 AM   #69 (permalink)

Member # 206164
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antagonist View Post
Looks pretty sweet! Just curious how far you have made it on the front caliper brackets? The rears are pretty straight forward, but I've seen a couple variations of the front that have made me unsure of how to go about it. Have you tackled those yet?
Yeah I have the fronts done as well...they were quite a bit more work with the angles on the kingpins, and figuring out orientation of the caliper relative to the rotor from the kingpins.

I will try to get some tech and pics up on those tonight.
Old 02-01-2012, 10:52 PM   #70 (permalink)

Member # 206164
Here are a few close ups of the completed rear brakes.
Attached Images

Old 02-01-2012, 11:10 PM   #71 (permalink)

Member # 206164
Next I started doing some more work on the front axle. At the top of the priority list was figuring out how to mount the calipers. After I had stared at the knuckles, spindles, calipers, and rotor/wheel hub assemblies for quite a while considering different options, I decided that the best option was to turn to Solidworks once again.

So I brought a knuckle, spindle, caliper, and rotor/wheel hub assembly into the house and started taking the critical dimensions of each component. Next I created simplified models of the knuckle, rotor, and caliper in Solidworks. I constrained these components in an assembly as they fit relative to each other.

I used this assembly to geometrically drive the development of my caliper mounts. I wanted to fab up some boot guards as well, so I determined that boot guards with an integrated lower caliper mount would be a trick setup.

Here is a basic Solidworks animation showing the solution that I came up with:

Steering Rockwell Caliper Mounts.avi - YouTube

Last edited by Blak Falken; 02-02-2012 at 12:44 AM.
Old 02-01-2012, 11:18 PM   #72 (permalink)

Member # 206164
Here are all of the resulting pieces after being laser cut:
Attached Images

Old 02-01-2012, 11:57 PM   #73 (permalink)

Member # 206164
I had previously seen this picture of a guy who had broken a steering knuckle on a Rockwell axle running big tires with hydraulic steering. I was going to run a PSC DE Hydraulic Ram, and since I was doing some work on the knuckles I figured I would avoid any potential problems here.

I designed a low clearance plate to box the Rockwell knuckle in, sitting flush with the knuckle. I also ran a gusset all the way around the knuckle.

Here is a pic of the broken knuckle I saw, and my knuckles after Tony boxed them up and burned the gussets in using Super Missile Rod on the stick welder.
Attached Images

Old 02-02-2012, 12:21 AM   #74 (permalink)

Member # 206164
This is after I welded up the boot guards and installed them over the lower king pins. I also bolted my upper caliper mounting plates to the knuckles over the upper king pins. Short of creating a jig to position the caliper mounting brackets on these parts with the correct angles I figured it would be easiest to fit them up and tack them on the knuckles.

So I installed the spindles on the knuckles, and dropped in the wheel bearings with the rotor/wheel hub assemblies, and torqued them to spec. Next I slid the calipers over the rotors with the pads in them and lined them up. I had to do some slight grinding on the brackets in a couple of spots to accommodate the transition angles, other than that the fit-up was perfect. I tacked them together and pulled everything back apart for final welding.

Here are some shots of the fit-up:
Attached Images

Old 02-02-2012, 12:31 AM   #75 (permalink)

Member # 206164
I had to grind the calipers in a couple of spots for clearance over the knuckles as shown:
Attached Images

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.