1971 IH Travelall 1110 4x4 4 spd - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > International Harvester
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2012, 12:06 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 210981
1971 IH Travelall 1110 4x4 4 spd

Hey Everyone,
New to this forum. I am working on a project with a friend and doing some research on the best route to go with his 1971 IH Travelall 4x4. The engine is wasted and we have a built 350 chevy to drop in her. IT currently has a divorced 205 transfer case and the stock tranny. Its a four spd with granny gear. My question is can we stick with the stock tranny? adapter bell housing needed for the GM powerplant? If we go with an sm465 trans what model of that trans should I look for? I know the tranny in the 1110 is stock so would that be the T428? Any help would be greatly appreciated and thanks in advance guys.
Jethro
jethrofdr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2012, 01:23 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 2071
Send a message via AIM to tsm1mt
Quote:
Originally Posted by jethrofdr View Post
Hey Everyone,
New to this forum. I am working on a project with a friend and doing some research on the best route to go with his 1971 IH Travelall 4x4. The engine is wasted and we have a built 350 chevy to drop in her. IT currently has a divorced 205 transfer case and the stock tranny. Its a four spd with granny gear. My question is can we stick with the stock tranny? adapter bell housing needed for the GM powerplant? If we go with an sm465 trans what model of that trans should I look for? I know the tranny in the 1110 is stock so would that be the T428? Any help would be greatly appreciated and thanks in advance guys.
Jethro
AA can sell you an adapter to put a Chevy in front of the 4spd, which is likely a T-98 4spd, with a 6.3-ish:1 first gear, non-sync 1st.

Or you can get any old 2wd Chevy 4spd and swap it in and adjust the spud-shaft to suit.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-09-2012, 03:27 PM   #3 (permalink)
Blower Binder

Member # 142191
just get a sm465 and bell housing and be done with it.

"Nobody can give you freedom. Nobody can give you equality or justice or anything. If you're a man, you take it." Malcolm X
64dumptruck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2012, 11:43 AM   #4 (permalink)
Way tougher than you

Member # 141446
Quote:
Originally Posted by 64dumptruck View Post
X2

Find a SM465 with an attached 205 out of just about any 73-87 Chevy 4x4 vehicle and swap it all in the original junks place.
Blue Lodge Absarokee #30, 3rd degree MM
So Mote It Be

89 Toy Ex Cab, 3.4/5Spd/Duals-3 Link front w/14" ORI's/4.88's/Spartans/Custom flatbed
WYJAX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2012, 02:35 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 34756
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsm1mt View Post
...Or you can get any old 2wd Chevy 4spd and swap it in and adjust the spud-shaft to suit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 64dumptruck View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by WYJAX View Post
X2

Find a SM465 with an attached 205 out of just about any 73-87 Chevy 4x4 vehicle and swap it all in the original junks place.
Just to be clear, WYJAX's suggestion to source an SM465 married to an NP205 would require diching the 1110's divorced NP205 and sourcing a crossmember and side torque brackets from a married NP205 4wd chevy (for the xmember, probably a 69-72 since the frames are the same width as a '71 1110). Or fab all that. Seems like a waste of time and money if your NP205 is in good shape (likely) or can be inexpensively rebuilt (usually the case).

Also, your divorced NP205 is far from "original junk." In fact, it is a strong version of the NP205. Its divorced configuration facilitates using a variety of rear-yoke-equipped transmissions ahead of the jackshaft coupling vice being stuck with what adapters are available for trannys married to NP205s.

Having many tranny options is always good. You could even use a 2wd NV4500 behind the 350 to get a 5-speed. But then you're probably back to using an expensive adapter bell besides the NV4500 cost.

tsm1mt's more specific recommendation of sourcing a 2wd SM465 would give you a rear (1310?) yoke output that would bolt up to your jackshaft (after shortening or lengthening), to connect the 465 to the NP205. 2wd SM465s and bells are cheap to source if you're not looking to hard.

While I'm guessing WYJAX was just concentrating on going all chevy trans to be able to use a cheap, used, SM465 chevy bellhousing behind the 350, there's more to it than that.
Old 02-21-2012, 04:05 AM   #6 (permalink)
Way tougher than you

Member # 141446
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4Poet View Post
Just to be clear, WYJAX's suggestion to source an SM465 married to an NP205 would require diching the 1110's divorced NP205 and sourcing a crossmember and side torque brackets from a married NP205 4wd chevy (for the xmember, probably a 69-72 since the frames are the same width as a '71 1110). Or fab all that. Seems like a waste of time and money if your NP205 is in good shape (likely) or can be inexpensively rebuilt (usually the case).
First of all, the side torque brackets are uneccessary as GM quit using them all together. On the 465/205 combo I just yanked out of a 78 3/4 ton pickup, the 205 isn't even drilled for the two holes.

Secondly, I'm sure that everyone on here would rather pay the huge premiums for an AA bellhousing to be able to continue to run a driveshaft between their tranny and tcase, right? WRONG! So he'd have to fab up a crossmember, big deal.

To the OP, ditch the tranny & tcase along with the boat anchor under the hood. Swap in the complete GM powertrain and fab up the crossmember (which my 11 year old son could do) and forget about it. You could probably sell the original stuff and completley fund the 465/205 combo.
So Mote It Be

89 Toy Ex Cab, 3.4/5Spd/Duals-3 Link front w/14" ORI's/4.88's/Spartans/Custom flatbed
Old 02-21-2012, 10:36 AM   #7 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 130003
Poet has some good suggestions about retaining the divorced 205.
Shoot, if you wanted to drop a 500" caddy engine with it's automatic transmission in, it would be no problem. Same with a 455 Buick. Or a 6bt Cummins and whatever transmission you find bolted to the back of it, for example, say you find a 6bt out of a bread delivery truck backed up by an Allison automatic, no problem! Or a 7.3T out of a Ford pickup with the automatic overdrive.
Don't matter, weld it in there and drive the pee out of it.
Before you go stuffing a 4-71 leaktroit in it make sure to check your local ordinances about containing oil spills.
Harold Phipps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2012, 11:33 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 34756
Quote:
First of all, the side torque brackets are uneccessary as GM quit using them all together. On the 465/205 combo I just yanked out of a 78 3/4 ton pickup, the 205 isn't even drilled for the two holes.
Good point, assuming you weren't looking at an NP203. If an NP205, I suspect GM left off the brackets because they were desperate to save weight and $$$ during the smog/gas shortage era. Whether Gm needed torque brackets or not, I think we pirate wheelers need them for our serious wheeling needs that put lots of torque to big, high-traction tires.

Quote:
Secondly, I'm sure that everyone on here would rather pay the huge premiums for an AA bellhousing to be able to continue to run a driveshaft between their tranny and tcase, right? WRONG! So he'd have to fab up a crossmember, big deal.
I don't know what an AA bell has to do with my post since I only addressed going with a used SM465 with used GM bell. The AA bell only applies to keeping the IHC 4-speed behind the 350 chevy which I didn't even address.

Are you sure you know IHCs? Because tsmmt1, for one, is one of the board's IHC experts and hit the nail on the head. Just my opinion.
Old 02-25-2012, 04:28 PM   #9 (permalink)
Way tougher than you

Member # 141446
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4Poet View Post
Good point, assuming you weren't looking at an NP203. If an NP205, I suspect GM left off the brackets because they were desperate to save weight and $$$ during the smog/gas shortage era. Whether Gm needed torque brackets or not, I think we pirate wheelers need them for our serious wheeling needs that put lots of torque to big, high-traction tires.

You would be wrong by suspecting that. As I stated, the NP205 (Yes, I'm sure it is in fact a 205 and not a 203) wasn't even drilled for the bolts to accomodate that bracket. Also, this was a Wyoming vehicle, not a CA vehicle where smog/emissions are an issue.

I don't know what an AA bell has to do with my post since I only addressed going with a used SM465 with used GM bell. The AA bell only applies to keeping the IHC 4-speed behind the 350 chevy which I didn't even address.

You're right, I assumed you were talking about using the original trans.

Are you sure you know IHCs? Because tsmmt1, for one, is one of the board's IHC experts and hit the nail on the head. Just my opinion.
What does any of this have to do with IHC's (Other than that's the vehicle it will end up in) as everything we are talking about is GM?
So Mote It Be

Old 02-25-2012, 04:34 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 162643
The cheapest/easiest route would be a 2wd SM465.
shortbus4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2012, 05:12 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 2071
Send a message via AIM to tsm1mt
I'll say again as before - find a 2wd SM465 and be done with it.

You can find a cable clutch setup (74-75) for the Travelall, or a hydraulic clutch (earlier models) or whatever they used stock on the Travelall (I haven't had a 69-73 with a stick) to fix the clutch linkage after the swap.

If you didn't already have the engine.. that divorced NP205 means you can easily buy an LS1/5spd or 6spd from a wrecked Camaro and throw it in. No need for expensive AA adapters to put a t'case behind it, or a need to source the engine from one vehicle and the transmission from another.. and so on.

And if you change your mind and want something else later.. you can still do that, without changing the front or rear driveshaft, or the transfercase linkage, or the speedometer cable, or anything else - just adjust the jack shaft and call it a day.

If you were to source a 4x4 transmission, get one from a later model truck with the left-drop, and put THAT in front of the NP205 for a dirt cheap doubler.

Lots of choices.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.