LS1 in a '78 scout II - Page 2 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > International Harvester
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2012, 11:07 PM   #26 (permalink)

Member # 193236
i do hate mud , i just need a reminder every couple of years or so :P

and i already have a cooler , its just sitting on the shelf waiting for me to install it
1dirtyz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2012, 09:36 AM   #27 (permalink)

Member # 182687
I still canot get enough of it, I been stuck broke or blasted thru mud, water creeks, ponds also the ocean in most all my vehicles and its still fun everytime and well worth the story even when the tow bill is massive
Attached Images

vancetater is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 03-11-2012, 03:37 PM   #28 (permalink)

Member # 91325
Looking forward to seeing the 4 link
Echo4charlie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2012, 04:38 PM   #29 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 9835
Quote:
Originally Posted by Echo4charlie View Post
Looking forward to seeing the 4 link
x2 and less pictures of toyotas in water puddles
ChiScouter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2012, 02:03 AM   #30 (permalink)

Member # 193236
no 4link yet , but more pics of the mess we were in :P

look in the background of the next pic and you can barely see the roof of the H1 , thats how deep it was stuck in there :

on a positive note , i pulled the cover off the rear 14bolt i got and it did have a detroit locker
WOHOO!

Last edited by 1dirtyz; 03-13-2012 at 02:06 AM.
Old 03-20-2012, 06:50 AM   #31 (permalink)

Member # 147462
that's a great looking build, and I'm willing to bet an LS in a Scout is ridiculously fun! If you end up needing another radiator for the LS swap, give me a shout as we build bolt-in All-Aluminum versions that are set up for stock engines or LS conversions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
From mild to wild radiators, we help your project stand out from the rest!
SparkyRnD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-13-2012, 10:33 AM   #32 (permalink)

Member # 193236
thanks for the offer , i'll keep that in mind for later :!
any how , time for an update i guess .

we headed out this weekend north of the city to see some places that were "supposed" to be full of mud and water after the recent rains we had. so we fooled around in a few places and and though tenough with the dust ! time for some sand dunes , so we head over to the dunes that were conveniently close by.

any how , long story short we were merrely bouncing across the dunes, and as i was putting along in fourth and not really paying attention and the truck slid to one side of the dune and as it did it stalled which meant i could not steer it or throttle out of it . it was totally my mistake as i was really not paying attention to what i was doing .

so on to the good stuff; pics!!

so a few tugs later :

Old 04-13-2012, 10:34 AM   #33 (permalink)

Member # 193236
luckily the damage was minimal , thanks to a the kick ass cage in there; not a single pane of glass was broken ! the top was slightly bent in some spots and the front fenders were bent in ( they were bound to get messed up later ) . the only real broken part was the passenger side mirror !

so after adding a quart of oil , it was back to bouncing on the dunes again and later the 80 mile trip back home !

all in all , its a good day when you drive back home in one peice .

Last edited by 1dirtyz; 04-13-2012 at 10:35 AM.
Old 04-14-2012, 12:47 AM   #34 (permalink)

Member # 50955
Glad you're ok.

Funny how you're in the Middle East modifying your Scout and having a great time while a lot of guys here won't touch an IH "because you can't get parts for them".
472Scout is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2012, 07:59 AM   #35 (permalink)

Member # 193236
thanks 472,

why would you need parts for a scout ?? they never brake down , right?? :P
Old 04-14-2012, 07:23 PM   #36 (permalink)

Member # 4586
Looks like a bunch of camel jockeys running around the desert, with the price of oil you should all be running KOH rigs

Looks like a good time for sure, just wish when I had the honor of visting there, I could have had my SSII with me.
Old 04-14-2012, 08:39 PM   #37 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 187456
So did the Ford hydrolock? And why wouldnt the H1 drive out of the river???
'r than gcc
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If you fuckers actually took a second to read the words rather than knee jerk reacting to the pics, you might have a clue what his plan is.

EricsGreen98Tj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2012, 08:44 PM   #38 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 187456
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1dirtyz View Post
So was the flip that scary? Cause it looks like you shat yourself.
'r than gcc

If you fuckers actually took a second to read the words rather than knee jerk reacting to the pics, you might have a clue what his plan is.

EricsGreen98Tj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2012, 12:34 PM   #39 (permalink)

Member # 193236
LOOOOOOL i knew some one was going to say some thing about that pic when i posted it ! that was just water from the cooler mixes with sand
and i asked about the ford, it did hydrolock the engine and mess up the trans as well.

jet fixer , you would think we get anything in our pockets from the oil revenues but it all goes to uncle saud ( our version of uncle sam :P ) . where did you visit when you were here?
Old 05-06-2012, 12:18 AM   #40 (permalink)

Member # 193236
not much to report , i guess the "going out" season here is over ( summer is in ) and the "fix your junk and start your project" season is upon us :P

there was a final trip to a local seasonal lake , not much happened there except that i surprised myself when the rig climbed over a ledge that i was not expecting to climb over

another thing i noticed is that the tranny needs a rebuild 4th gear grinds pretty bad .

so i should clear an area in the garage to park the rig and start working on it .

i guess i'll list the things i need to do here just to help me keep track of things :

first off i'll be taking the truck to a shop close by where i'll have a new front bumper and winch mount fabricated and install a wich, along with a rear bumper. i'm also planning on having them build me a seperate water tank to hold water for me to use during camping trips.

after that i'll probably start installing all the rock lights i bought for this thing ( but not wire them - yet) as well as the interior lights.

then i should start focusing on the interior (new guages , wiring ( lights and other stuff, spare tire mount, storage compartments, etc )

by that time i should have a doubler kit in , so when that shows up its out with the drive train for a tranny rebuild and a transfer case doubler installation and maybe see what i can do engine wise ( read - more power ).

mean while some where in there i'll weld on the scoilover mounts on the frame side as well as the 4 link brackets in preperation for the axle swap - the reasoning for not going all the way is that i don't want to have truck sitting in peices when the wheeling season comes. i'm only going to remove the axles when i'm postive i have all the parts i need to do the swap in hand .

so wish me luck !
Old 08-14-2012, 05:22 AM   #41 (permalink)

Member # 193236
well i guess its time for an update

i took the rig over to a friend's shop to have him fabricate the front bumper / winch mount and rear bumper , i also had him make me a permanent spare tire mount while the thing was in his shop.

well i got the car back and i'm very pleased with the results:

this is how it looked during fabrication :

and the end result : ( sorry for the crappy pic)

i never got around to working on the list i had before, so not much done since then, but i did decide to finally start working on the new axles ; i first cut the shock mounts on the rear axle in preperation for mounting the truss:

and i stopped there

next step is to weld that thing on there and then move on to the front axle . i also should move the truck to a better location ts o i can start working on the inside of the thing and mount the lights too.

Last edited by 1dirtyz; 08-14-2012 at 05:26 AM.
Old 10-01-2012, 01:14 AM   #42 (permalink)

Member # 193236
guess its about time for an update :

ididn't do much since last time but i guess the pace will pick up now that the cooler weather is getting closer .

i did move the truck to a "suitable" area in the garage :P and i did manage to take the left side of the dash panel off ( four small guages and i'm the process of installing some auto meter guages in there. i have the new panel drilled out and ready to accept the guages , but i have to finish wiring them from under the dash first. ( sorry no pics )

another thing i did was weld up the trusses on the front and rear axles as well as weld up the axle tubes to the pumpkin:

the plan now is to unbolt the rear end and springs and shocks and pull them out as one unit , then bring in the 14bolt rear and tires under the truck and jack it up as far as it will go to see how much compression i can get out of it and based on that take measurements on where to place the coil overs and what length to get.

i'll also get cracking on making the rear links and tacking the link mounts in place on both the frame and diff.

later on i should start - or finish - the gueage project so at least i can scratch it off the list.

speaking of the list , here's what i git so far:

- remove rear end from under the truck
- slide new rear under the car and start taking measurements
- make suspension arms
- tack weld the mounts ( frame and diff)
- finish guage wiring
- install exterior lights / rock lights

that should keep me busy for a while
Old 10-03-2012, 03:19 AM   #43 (permalink)

Member # 193236
i guess i have some progress to report :

the rear end and suspension is out

and after that i proceeded to mocking up the new rear end, not easy when you are alone and the truck is jacked up while your jacks are midgets :P

so i shove the rear end under the truck and install a 35" tire i had to see how i can i locate it so i can trim the fender to fit , guess what ?? it fits nicley in there without trimming . all i had to do was center the rear properly and you get this:
(check out my hillbilly ,,, errr desertbilly diff lifting tool :P )

the pic above is taken without the bumpstop in the pic below,
and here is the bumpstop stopping me and a view from under the truck :

and how much room between the pumpkin and gas tank ( ignore the pinion angle please ) :

the bumpstops are too long and soft , so i'm going with some new 2.5 " ones and most likely will build a small pad for them to hit on the diff.

if you are wondering how much a 14 bolt with stock 16.5 GM wheels and hummer H1 tires stick out ,,, well wonder no more :

i was really expecting alot more tire to show!

so i guess next i have to tack weld the frame lower link mounts in place along with the diff lower links and start fabbing the links .
ideally i want the uppers and lowers to be the same length so that i don't need to carry more spares with me , but that is not a high priority for me right now.

as soon as i have the diff squared away i can start measuring for shocks and shock mountsand other stuff .
Old 10-09-2012, 03:08 AM   #44 (permalink)

Member # 193236
the four link build continues i guess :

i tacked the lower link mounts on the frame , got the lower arms made up , won't weld them untill i'm 100% sure that they are the right length :

and how the arm sits under full compression :

and this is how the diff will be located in relation to the bump stop location , now for all you non scout owners before you say the bumpstop is not in line with the axle , on these trucks the bumpstop mount is slotted. this means i can move the bump stop about 3" fore and aft).

and then i stopped apparently i don't have the upper link frame mounts, they should be here in about a week or so. i also have a pair of shorter bump stops on the way to help get more compression out of the rear .
another thing i ordered was another pair of lower link mounts on the diff side that have the shock/coil over mounts integrated into the mount , using these will allow me to push the mounts further out on the axle to get more trianglulation out of the link setup.
Old 10-19-2012, 08:08 AM   #45 (permalink)

Member # 70148
So, how much does it suck to live in saudi araibia?

larboc@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2012, 11:45 AM   #46 (permalink)

Member # 189068
Quote:
Originally Posted by larboc@hotmail.com View Post
I'm guessing it's not to bad he said gas is $0.75 a gallon

how much is it down there stupper

Last edited by zachwrench; 11-03-2012 at 11:46 AM.
zachwrench is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2012, 08:58 PM   #47 (permalink)

Member # 50955
Looking pretty good. Time for an update.
472Scout is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2012, 04:38 AM   #48 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 9835
Quote:
Originally Posted by larboc@hotmail.com View Post
Is that the most ignorant question you could think of?

OP thanks for the good tech added to the forum.
ChiScouter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2012, 09:08 AM   #49 (permalink)

Member # 4586
Come on Chi everyone knows how good life is when your trailer house rent is paid and you have the lot rent in your pocket. It is a true sign the economy is on the up swing. That is truly part of this great nation, I mean being able to sit around on your trailer house porch sipping PBR and calling everyone else in the world fucked.

By the way OP nice Scout, You have to be going through hell to get the parts and junk to build that thing. Little on the tech all from the web.
Old 11-04-2012, 06:56 PM   #50 (permalink)

Member # 126767
"so how much does it suck to live i saudi arabia"

Larboc,YOU are a DOUCHE. I am a "noob" here,and like everyone else,I like TECH. This guy probably has more in shipping just to get his part's,than you have in your single wide. STFU. Hijack over,
str8rbill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.