LS1 in a '78 scout II - Page 3 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > International Harvester
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2013, 12:41 AM   #51 (permalink)

Member # 193236
thanks for the replies guys , I really appreciate it .

not much to report here other than that I'm driving this thing in to the ground cause it so much fun :P

something in the ignition switch went bad and I had to wire the thing so that it has constant ignition on . so basically to shut the car down I have to stall it in gear ( luckily the starter signal still works)

so I had to start the rewiring of the whole rig ( why stop at the ignition switch since everything else needs replacing ). I ordered a set of carlin switches from OTRAWW o(r something like that ) to install where the radio used to be . I just had to widen the hole a bit to accommodate all the switches.
well after a few hours of messing around I ended up with this thing :

I also got a new relay and fuse board that is very compact and controls almost everything in the car and has an extra 8 relays and fuses that it also controls ( sorry no pics yet) . it controls lights , signals , fuel pump , fans and everything in between .
now I just need to install the darn thing somewhere convenient and out of harms way , then the fun part of wiring starts

the plan is to mount the board somewhere in the glove compartment , run the ignition , pcm and what not wires to it first , then mount the rock lights and rear lights and build the light harness outside the truck and install it when ever I have a chance , then do the stuff inside once I get another chance ; that way I get to use the truck if there was an outing or any trips .

as for the four link and doubler ,,,, I think that will be delayed till the summer ,,, again :P

Last edited by 1dirtyz; 12-08-2013 at 01:08 AM.
1dirtyz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2013, 12:55 AM   #52 (permalink)

Member # 193236
speaking of trips , we went out this weekend to a nice little outcrop of rocks about 200 miles out of town . its a strange formation or something like silkrock that juts out of the ground in the middle of nowhere . the place is huge ; about 17 miles to drive around and has a whole bunch of formations and nice stuff to play around in and see.

the group I was with looked like a jeep commercial :P

I've been to the place before but never got a chance to properly explore it and find some good trails,,,, well this time we camped over and found a few really nice spots, the nice thing is that we never got a chance to explore the whole place ; which mans there are a ton more cool spots to check out .

here are a few "action" shots :

Sponsored Links
Old 12-08-2013, 01:01 AM   #53 (permalink)

Member # 193236
more pics of the place :

Old 12-08-2013, 01:06 AM   #54 (permalink)

Member # 193236
looking back at these pics ,,,, seems the binder is exact opposite of what these jeeps are ; rough, crude and proudly carrying its scars

almost makes me feel like the bully of the group :P
Old 12-08-2013, 10:32 AM   #55 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 16680
where is that?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
plug ugly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2013, 02:04 PM   #56 (permalink)

Member # 193236
its a place called Jabalah , NE of aldawadmi city in Saudi arabia
Old 12-08-2013, 02:58 PM   #57 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 16680
so its a long drive?

Old 12-08-2013, 09:02 PM   #58 (permalink)

Member # 18592
Send a message via AIM to binderbound
Quote:
Originally Posted by plug ugly View Post
so its a long drive?

binderbound is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2013, 09:57 PM   #59 (permalink)

Member # 193236
if you don't mind crossing an ocean , a continent, and another sea then its not that bad
Old 12-08-2013, 10:40 PM   #60 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 16680
looks like fun wheeling.

Old 12-09-2013, 11:58 AM   #61 (permalink)

Member # 50955
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1dirtyz View Post
if you don't mind crossing an ocean , a continent, and another sea then its not that bad

Looks like you had a great time. Those rock formations remind me of many places in the SW United States.
472Scout is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2014, 02:44 AM   #62 (permalink)

Member # 193236
man its been a while since I updated this thread !
sadly I don't have much to update you with ,,, just been busy doing other stuff and having fun with the scout before the hot season drops in :P

we found a local hidden spot locally ,,, and man do I mean local - its within the city limits but is hard to get to , and it makes for a great trail!

its basically a "wadi" or a dry river bed that gets pretty interesting after it rains .

here are a few pics from late December when I went out with a bunch of jeeps :

nice place to fool around in and explore , its pretty long and we still didn't reach the end of it but already found a few waterfalls and other interesting obstacles.
off course I have done nothing to the scout between trips, well nothing except add more things to fix on the list ; the ignition switch took a dump on me and I had to hotwire the ignition to where it stays on all the time . starting the car is not an issue but shutting it down requires me to stall the car in gear , then use the batt disconnect to shut the car off for long periods of time.

the radiator still leaks , and the brakes don't feel so great .
and last but not least the engine needs a tune up since it misfires badly when cold .

the only thing I did manage to do is get this sweet relay and fuse board from leash electronics that incorporates almost all the electrical circuits you need along with their fuses and relays. it controls lights, signals, fans , ignition sources , etc. and is very easy to wire.

I decided to mount it where the glove box used to be and hang it under the dash for ease of access if I need to do so (sorry no pics of the mounting bracket I made and how I mounted it ):

so now that the off road season is kinda over , as well as the drag racing season , I can now start fixing it and finish the projects I have in mind .

first off I guess is start wiring the car up ; i'll finish wiring the switch panel to the board, and the board to everything else.

after that I can start on the drivetrain : I have the 205 / 203 doubler sitting on the ground, I just have to mate them up and hook up the triple stick shifter to them , then I can install them along with a new crossmember to hold them up.

and after I'm done with that I can start with the axle swap : I have a D60 front and a rear14 bolt with a locker all trussed up and setup for a triangulated 4 link setup waiting to be bolted on ( the mounts on the frame are already welded on ) . before that I have to convert the rear into a disk brake setup and install a locker and hi-steer kit on the front.

I'm also contemplating a small wheelbase stretch by pulling the rear axle back a bit ; I love the approach angle on my truck , but the departure angle leaves a bit to be desired.

so my to do list is as follows :
- wire switch panel
- wire board
- fix leaking radiator hose
- install new air compressor
- install rock lights and interior lights
- get doubler ready
- get rear end brake conversion done
- finish front end locker and hi steer kits.
- put the truck on lift
- drop transfer case and rear diff
- install doubler
- install rear diff with possible stretch
- rear spring mounts / shock mounts
- remove front diff
- install new front diff
- front spring / shock mounts
- new brake master cylinder and lines

wish me luck!
Old 06-03-2014, 02:19 PM   #63 (permalink)

Member # 193236
well I finally started some real work on the truck

I it it on jack stands and started work on the old hag .

first off I mounted the relay panel and started wiring it . I decided to mount it in behind the glove compartment door :

( sorry for the crappy cell phone pics )

I got a bit of work done before I got bored with wiring and thought it was time to start with the rear end ; 15 mins later and the rear was out of there :

its interesting what you find out when you take stuff apart ; turns out my shackles were finger tight , as were the u joint straps. and it appears I have no fluids in my rear brake lines.

any how , so after another 15 mins. I got the new 14 bolt under there and the links all in place ( I had the brackets welded a while back , so it was just a matter of bolting stuff on)

here is how the rear end looks under almost full compression :

and here is how it looks with one side stuffed up on one side :

in this picture I ran out of jack on one side and the ground was in the way on the other side :P

the plan was to use these offset coil mounts on the frame and weld a perch on the back side of the axle , but then I thought why not run an airbag instead of the coil and not have it bolted down on the axle side .

so I kinda knew where I wanted the coil mounts and the bump stops as well as the shocks to be located,,,, but then I found out about some adjustable height coil mounts from ballistic fab ( Adjustable Coil Buckets ) and I decided to revise what I have : so now I plan on putting the coils in line with the axle tube and move the bumpstop to a pad on the rear of the axle tube or inboard of the frame rails .

more pics soon !

Last edited by 1dirtyz; 06-03-2014 at 02:26 PM.
Old 06-03-2014, 07:46 PM   #64 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 9835
It looks great, but how are you getting all those parts over in Saudi?
ChiScouter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-03-2014, 08:59 PM   #65 (permalink)

Member # 50955
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiScouter View Post
It looks great, but how are you getting all those parts over in Saudi?
Junkyard.
Old 06-04-2014, 02:06 AM   #66 (permalink)

Member # 193236
loool,

I just shipping them from u.s. using a freight forwarder

but off course there is no replacement for local junk yards
Old 06-04-2014, 12:19 PM   #67 (permalink)

Member # 184378
Sweet rig, very jealous of the gas prices I wish gas was still .78 heck I'd even take under 4 bucks right now.

Didn't remember if I read it or not but are you gonna shave the 14bolt?
Old 06-04-2014, 11:42 PM   #68 (permalink)

Member # 193236
no , I'm not planning on shaving it for not ( not really any time soon ,,, or not soon :P )
Old 06-25-2014, 02:42 AM   #69 (permalink)

Member # 193236
a little update ,,,
I got the rock lights installed , was planning on running regular floodlight type of lights then I found some pretty big LED strips which give out a ton of light with not much AMP draw, so I went with those .
I installed a pair next to each other on the front most cross member facing back ( between the front spring hangers ) and in the front part of the rear wheel wells facing back - sorry no pics- all I need to do is to wire them in .

I also installed one of those under bed rail LED lights in the engine compartment to help light the place up if I need to work on it when its dark. (forgot to take pics too ) . and I still need to wire those up to a switch in the engine compartment .

and some more parts showed up lately :

what we have here is the front dana 60 hi steer arms , rear disc brake brackets , sway bar mounts , adjustable spring mounts and front axle C truss/ shock mount .

I also go in the currie rock jock universal sway bar and some weld in upper shock mounts:

and last but not least a pair of front shock hoops ( don't know why I ordered them , it just seemed like a good idea then :P ) :

I also had to make a couple of local made spring perches cause I decided to mount the springs behind the rear axle so I can take advantage of the adjustable upper spring perch :

now that you seen the parts , its time for the actual worke done part :P

I started by centering the rear diff in the frame then figured out where to mount the base for the spring perch on the frame :

and here is how it looks with the perch all welded up and the spring dangling on it:

and that is where I stopped .

I still have to fit and weld the lower mount on the axle , then I can start on the other side of the axle. hopefully I can have the truck sitting on its axle by the weekend, then I can move on to welding the shock mounts and swaybar.

speaking of shocks , I decided - for now- to use ( don't laugh!) some air shocks to help raise and lower the truck on the rail . I know it sounds like a redneck move ( or camel jockey one depending where you read this ) but I'm planning on using the air shocks to raise and lower the truck depending on the obstacle and see how I like the whole idea of air suspension.

the other thing I plan on doing is swap out the springs with long travel airbags to do the same , and replace the shocks with regular ones then.
Old 06-29-2014, 02:36 AM   #70 (permalink)

Member # 193236
a bit of progress to report ,
I managed to get the lower spring mounts bent and trimmed into shape , and finished welding up the pass side for now. so now that is done :

all I have to do now is start on the driver side upper and lower mounts and after that I can call this pile a roller :P

speaking of rollers , I already bought a set of steel 10" 8 lug wheels for these axles . I was assuming that they would have enough back spacing to help tuck the tires in ,,,, WRONG :P

so now I need to either get a new set of narrower wheels / different offset wheels , or get me a set of flares installed to help cover up the mile of rubber sticking out from the fenders.

another option that I might look into is to take the wheels to a machine shop and have them cut and re-weld the centers to change the offset,,, but that is a decision for another day :P
Old 07-20-2014, 06:31 AM   #71 (permalink)

Member # 193236
we have progress !!

I finished welding the perches on diff and shoved it under the truck , then slapped the springs I got off a later model Nissan patrol on there and viola ! the truck is now self suspended !

and here it is with a 35" tire on the other side:

so now I can roll this thing around , which means I can start working on the front suspension ,,,,, or finish running the rear brake lines , and welding the shock mounts and swaybar mount while the truck is on the lift . i'll see how I feel next time I'm in the shop :P
Old 09-21-2014, 03:30 AM   #72 (permalink)

Member # 193236
we got some progress to report :P

like I said before the rear is on the ground now , so the truck got rolled over to the lift and I ripped the front housing out and got the hi steer arms mounted on the new D60 :

and this is how it looks now :

and that's about it

before I start anything on the front I decided to just get the rear finished once and for all ; I'm welding in a small cross member to use as the upper shock mount , and then I need to weld the lower shock mounts to the housing. and since I'm welding I have to finish weld all the brackets and stuff I installed . after that I can see how much flex or extension I get out of the rear and order a set of limiting straps.
and finally I need to weld up the sway bar mounts and install the darn thing in the rear.

and once I'm done with the list above I can focus on the front end. first off I need to position the diff square under the truck, then weld the frame link mounts , diff link mounts , make the links , figure out if I want to use coils up front or go with a and airbag -lever style setup ( more on that later), make a pair of tie rods and see how I'm going to do the front shocks.

should keep me busy for a while :P
Old 09-23-2014, 04:40 PM   #73 (permalink)

Member # 193236
looking back at the pics above ,,, I need to stop using my phone camera and get back to using a regular digital camera!

speaking of pics ,, I took a few of the progress I made today ,,,, with my phone :P

so on to the update:

I started with messing with the upper shock mount , I had to drill it for the shock bolts and weld in sleeves for strength :

and here it is all finished up and ready to weld on the truck :

I then proceeded to weld the thing on the truck along with the lower shock mounts :

I'm using air shocks cause I want the option to fool around with the height of the rig from inside the ruck ,,,, I know its cheesy but I always wanted to do something like that .

and here is how it looks from the rear :

here is how much the rear droops:

next I moved to the sway bar ; I started with welding the brackets to the frame , then shoved the bushings in place , then I had to gently persuade the actual bar into place using a very delicate 10 lb hammer .

I faced one last issue with the sway bar ( being a universal unit ) ; the end links were too long for what I need, so I had to fab a couple of links using spare rod ends and some tube I had lying around ( sorry no pics yet) , which I will send off to get powder coated .

so other that tightening up everything up , the rear suspension is done !

now all I have to do is re install the springs, tighten everything up , plumb the brake lines , reinstall the fuel pump and filter in what seems to be the same location as before.

next up is centering the front diff under the frame , weld the lower/ upper link mounts on the frame , bolt in the upper spring perch where the old bump stop in , weld in a new bump stop mount in front of the existing one .

the plan is to move the front diff about 3 inches forward , hence the new bump stop location .

after that I can tack weld the diff mounts , build the links , make the lower spring mounts , shock mounts , and finish it off with the front swaybar.

after that I can make the drag link and tie rod, and then plumb the front brakes and I should be able to build me a new set of shafts and get the thing rolling !
Old 09-24-2014, 12:00 PM   #74 (permalink)

Member # 50955
Looking good, but yes the cell phone must go. That's got to be the only linked Scout in the Kingdom.
Old 09-24-2014, 10:45 PM   #75 (permalink)

Member # 193236
loool, yes it it is most likely the only one :P

we had a Saudi scout gathering about a year ago , and from the looks of it I am the only linked scout out of the two that were there :P

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.