LS1 in a '78 scout II - Page 4 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > International Harvester
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2014, 02:41 AM   #76 (permalink)

Member # 193236
update time

been making some slow progress up front on the diff .
I decided to go with a combo lower link mount / spring perch on the diff side since I'm kinda stuck with the current spring location up top .

here are how the mounts looked after welding them up on the table :

and here are how they look tacked up in place :

the reason I had to place them where they are now is because I plan on using the existing bump stop mount as the top spring perch . in this configuration I get to move the axle a few inches forward and have a nice little mount to place my spring perch.
here is how the top spring perches look like :

the plan is to weld a small tube between the perch and the steering box and have the bump stop attached to it.

and here is how it looks with the spring attatched:

I also plan on welding or bolting on a spring cup adjuster tot he top perch , that way I can add about 2-3 inches tot eh front ride height if I needed to or to tweak the suspension from side to side.

I then moved on to the upper link mounts on the diff . the original plan was to weld 2 brackets one for each jonny joint on top of the axle truss ,,, well after cycling the suspension it seemed to me that the brackets would hit the engine and so would the link arms. so the plan was changed in favor of welding a flat plate on the back of the truss perpendicular to the ground and then weld the link brackets on that.

that sounded all nice and dandy until I noticed that the link brackets would face straight back , and the joints would not bend enough to reach the angle of the upper links. so I needed to change the angle that the links were welded on the plate , so out cam the welder and a whole bunch of grinding and cutting and welding and we were left with the following masterpiece ; gentlemen I give you the upper link mounts on the axle side:

I still need to weld the damn thing on to the axle off course .

and that's about it for now .

the plan today is as follows :

- weld the upper link mount to the axle
- finish welding the lower mounts to the axle
- place the truck on jack stands so I can remove the lift arms from underneath the truck
- weld the frame link mounts
- perfectly center the axle under the truck
- fab the control arms
- figure out how to mount the front shocks

that should keep me occupied for a while :P
1dirtyz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2014, 09:14 PM   #77 (permalink)
Addicted to Gear Oil

Member # 56050
Nice job I can't imagine there's a lot of Scouts in Saudi.
Originally Posted by General Dwight D. Eisenhower
History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

For the best deal on 8 lug disc brakes click here-->
guidolyons is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 12-31-2014, 01:32 AM   #78 (permalink)

Member # 193236
update time !

been a busy few months i guess , but at least i got a whole bunch of stuff done .

the front end is finally under the truck and mounted :

i also got the bump stops figured out and installed :

so now the truck is standing on its feet :P
i still have to weld the shock mounts on the diff and on the frame, jut waiting for the shocks to show up. i also have to install some sort of cone on the spring perch to keep the spring centered .

i'm also debating wether to swap to coilovers up front , but i guess i'll give the springs a shot first and then upgrade to coilovers later.

the other thing i have to do is install a front antiroll bar , as well as finish the steering linkage up front and then the hard work should be done :P

i should also start redoing the wiring real soon .

and i know i have a pic of the thing standing on its feet somewhere,,, i'll post it as soon as i find it i guess

Old 02-12-2015, 12:02 AM   #79 (permalink)

Member # 193236
update time !

starting from the rear , I finally got a chance to do the rear brake lines ,
right now I'm just going to run the drum brakes and will swap to the disks later down the road.
I did manage to bend up some brake line ,,, and my what a good job I've done so far ( pats himself on the back :P )

here is the awesome hydraulic handheld flaring tool I used , I think its a mastercool flaring tool if I remember correctly :

finished product :

so technically the rear is almost done ; I still have to figure out the u-joint issue ,,, it seems the driveshaft has a 1330 ujoint while the diff has a 1350 yoke . I either can get a bastard joint - also called hybrid joint - or just have them cut me a new driveshaft end with the correct joint .

I also put the fuel pump and filter back in and plumbed them .

moving on to the front of the truck ; I got the new brake master cylinder installed and semi plumbed along with the new adjustable proportioning valve.

I also got my new pitman arm in , its shorter than the stock one to help with the steering , and I got the hi-steer tie rod made and back from powder coating:

I also got the front shock towers welded in place and got the shocks mounted :

now with all that being done , I for some reason decided to start on the electrical work ( real later about what I still had to finish and you will conclude I have ADD :P )

earlier I decided instead of running a whole bunch of loose wires front to back that I would use a nice bundled wiring cable that has 12 wires all bundled into one cable ,,,, so the plan is to run that cable from the relay/ fuse box up front to the rear of the truck and have it terminate with a deutsch style connector , and from that connector have a small harness that runs tot he rear lights and stuff.

finished half of the project :

so , now that you know what I did so far , her is what I need to finish real soon :

- install one final brake hose from proportioning valve to existing rear brake line ,,, or just make a new piece. ( why I didn't finish that when I was doing the brake lines I don't know)
- fill and bleed brakes
- fab up the steering drag link - so I can call the steering done - along with removing the original tie rod
- paint the rear housing
- tighten all the rear suspension bolts
- fabricate rear part of electrical harness
- finish wiring rear rock lights
- start wiring front of the truck
- figure out rear u joint deal

Last edited by 1dirtyz; 02-12-2015 at 12:03 AM.
Old 02-12-2015, 02:41 PM   #80 (permalink)

Member # 483882
Looks like a fun build!

USE CODE: PIRATE4X4 FOR 10% SAVINGS ON YOUR NEXT ORDER!!!
EMAIL:
/ PHONE: 805-783-2060

//
//
PolyPerformance is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2015, 11:01 PM   #81 (permalink)

Member # 193236
sure ,,, but it never ends :P

did a bit of electrical work today ,, made the other end of the tail light harness and connector, I also finished wiring the rear under carriage lights and wired them to the relay/fuse board ,, all I have to do now is splice into the original light sockets and the rear end of the harness will be complete.

so today the plan is to work on the front end of the harness and wire the headlights, blinkers , and front undercarriage lights.
also plan on filling the brake system up and checking for leaks and bleeding it .

and if I'm lucky the tie rod inserts would be done from the machine shop and I could then fab the steering drag link and have the steering scratched off the never ending list
Old 02-22-2015, 11:11 PM   #82 (permalink)

Member # 193236
quick update ,

did pretty much nothing from what I did plan on doing :P , although I did fill and bleed the brakes.

the other thing I did was fab up the steering drag link arm and got that done :

and after finishing it I went ahead and installed it ,,, only to find out that the shorter pitman arm I installed is to short and I don't even get the knuckles close to the limiters!

so now I have to ream the original to the 3/4 size and re install it.

another major milestone is this:

we have shoes!!!!

my 37-12.50-17 discoverer's came in ! and they fit pretty decent .
I was expecting them to stick out more but luckily with the 9" wheels I have they only stick out about 2/5 of the width of the tread - depending on how bashed in the fender is :P
Old 02-24-2015, 05:29 PM   #83 (permalink)
Addicted to Gear Oil

Member # 56050
Are you able to buy parts (tabs, heims, DOM tube, wheels, tires, etc) locally or do you have to ship it all in from US and Europe?
Originally Posted by General Dwight D. Eisenhower
History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid.

For the best deal on 8 lug disc brakes click here-->
guidolyons is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2015, 02:19 AM   #84 (permalink)

Member # 193236
its a mix,,,, some I buy here , some from the states .

the tires were local ,, the rims I had shipped with other stuff in a container a year ago , but I could have got them local if I snooped around a bit.

plus I have a freight forwarding company that I use to ship anything I need from the states for a decent price.
Old 03-01-2015, 07:35 PM   #85 (permalink)

Member # 25120
Thanks for keeping us up to date. It is fun to see how much we have in common from the other side of the world, I often feel like I am stuck in a jeep jk commercial when we wheel here too. Many friends are stumped why I would rather drive a scout than a jk and so assume it is a cost issue. I usually let 'em run with that because explaining the "bolt on stuff VS: hand fabricated stuff" does not compute to most people.

If you get the front sway-bar figured out, post up!

I would love to see more photos of that slick rock area you posted awhile back too. I wheeled in Jordan's Wadi Rum and it was great, I hope to add Saudi to the list one day!

Mike
Old 03-01-2015, 11:41 PM   #86 (permalink)

Member # 193236
hey gearheart , I agree with you and will do !
I'm just waiting for the sway bar to show up

i'll try and get you a few pics of that place plus a few of other places we have over here .

here's a video I took at the very edge of that place a while back :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=814T27gffCE
Old 03-01-2015, 11:44 PM   #87 (permalink)

Member # 193236
here's a link to another site with a bunch of pics of a place similar to the one we went to :
-
Old 03-18-2015, 02:09 AM   #88 (permalink)

Member # 193236
been slowly chipping away at this thing,,,

I got the rear tail lights all wired and done up , so the rear part of the harness is off the list

also finished up the front steering so that is off the list now ,, just need to center up the steering wheel when the thing gets rolling later.

also the front sway bar showed up recently , so I got to mess with that a bit . I decided I had to bend the arms out a bit to clear the suspension. also made a custom mount for the sway bar in order for it to clear the electric fan and steering box :

all that is left is to make the links - the ones that came with the kit are bolt in type rod ends and I would like to substitute them with regular ones so I can run quick disconnect pins on them .

so next up on the list is wiring the front lights , attaching the drive shafts, re installing the radiator hose, fluids and grease, and we fire the old hag up ( I hope :P )
Old 03-18-2015, 04:57 PM   #89 (permalink)

Member # 127239
Interesting that it looks like all USA vehicles over there...I expected to see a lot more Rovers or FJs..or are you just with something like an American Off-Road club?
Old 04-06-2015, 10:16 AM   #90 (permalink)

Member # 98655
I've seen some crazy videos of stuff you guys do over there.
From drift racing to the steep sand hill climbs, it looks like many forms of motorsports are alive and well in Saudi Arabia!
Looking at some of your trip pictures you could barely distinguish many of your wheeling spots from most of our trails here west of the Rockies.
You would be right at home in the Southwest U.S. with your Scout.
Keep up the good work and keep posting trip photos when you get back to 4 wheeling the Scout.
Do you avoid going out in your hot season?
Here in the U.S. We avoid places like Death Valley in the summer because it is so hot, the only folks who go there are tourists and car manufacturers doing hot weather testing.
We head for higher elevations on our summer trips!
just4cuz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2016, 12:06 AM   #91 (permalink)

Member # 193236
well its been a while since I update !

to catch up with things , I got the thing up and running except for a few minor issues ( still don't have the turn signals working, or the onboard air wired up).

I did manage to strap the spare on the floor of the trunk area , and I trimmed the rear fenders to clear the tires.

I took it out for its maiden voyage to a wheeling spot just outside the city ( drove it on the hiway ) and man was I impressed ! ( gives himself a pat on the back )
the thing rides nice , has very little body roll , tracks straight and feels much more stable than before! I drove for quite some time at about 85 mph and for the first time I did not feel that the truck was trying to kill me :P

the brakes were somewhat of an ,,,, I don't know what to call them .... they stop the thing so fast and locking the 37"s up is not a problem at all,,,,, the issue I have is the brake is super light and feels a bit spongy . if I hold the brake pedal at a certain level it starts to sink ,,, and as it does the braking increases ! I'm not really complaining since the damn things will probably flip the truck forward if the road holds , its just that they feel weird.

so this brings us up to the current day events :P

we decided to load our stuff up and head to a great rock crawling/ camping spot about 200 miles away ( same spot as last time - the one that looks like moab). it was my rig and three other wranglers and slow ass diesel land cruiser .
this time I decided to flat tow the thing there. the truck tracked straight and was not a hassle to tow at all .

all I can say is I was very proud of how well the thing performed for its first time out . I had no idea how well it would work or if it would work at all. but all the hours spent on this thing and the added beef everywhere paid off big time.

here a few pics of the trip and how well the thing did .

rear end flexes real nice !

Old 01-18-2016, 12:07 AM   #92 (permalink)

Member # 193236

and here is the scout being a good Samaritan ( mainly just showing off that my winch works ) when the jeep ahead almost flipped over going down a waterfall :

say aaaahhhh!

Old 01-18-2016, 12:09 AM   #93 (permalink)

Member # 193236

I just love this place !

you can tell that all the added beef was put to good use : if a rock did not move out of my way ,,,,, I made it move :P

these pics above were taken at a spot that took everybody about 15-20 min each to finish ,,, which was about how long it me last time I was there ,,, this time it took me something around 1 minute :P
Old 01-18-2016, 12:09 AM   #94 (permalink)

Member # 193236
any how ,,, more flex :P

this is the spot where I found out how much flex the front end had ,,,, just enough :P

and here's a shot of how well the tire tucks into the trimmed fender :

all in all , it was a great trip , and I was amazed at how well the thing did .

it did bring out a few issues tough; first off I need hydraulic assist steering! with the automatic locked in front and the 37 the steering would just bind up when flexed.
the other thing I need to do is install the transfer case doubler to help with the crawlability of the thing. I was riding the clutch way more than I would have liked.

I also have to figure out how to stop the rear sway bar arms from bending when flexed real hard- I need to weld a gusset on them I guess. another thing I should look into is some limiting straps ,,,, but man the pics of the rear end drooping so far are so cool

off course I also need to trim the front bumper and fender to help clear the tire , I also will look into extending the bump stop a bit more.
Old 01-19-2016, 04:37 PM   #95 (permalink)

Member # 232327
Awesome practical build! Love this thing.

sokoloka is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2016, 12:09 AM   #96 (permalink)

Member # 193236
thanks ,,,

I really can't say enough on how satisfying its been building and wheeling this thing knowing I'm building it for me and for just plain having fun with it .
Old 01-20-2016, 06:43 AM   #97 (permalink)

Member # 12121
Send a message via MSN to Sully Send a message via Yahoo to Sully
One of my favorite threads.
Old 01-20-2016, 09:53 AM   #98 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 11615
Send a message via Yahoo to Harvester of Sorrow
What I wouldn't give to be able to ship my Scout to your nation and wheel with you.

Looks great.

Harvester of Sorrow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2016, 11:33 PM   #99 (permalink)

Member # 193236
thanks for the compliments !!!

more to come soon ,,, I guess I have to extend my front bump stop a bit to help with the whole fender tire conflict. and I already started looking into ordering a hydraulic assist setup for the steering,,, any recommendations?
Old 12-11-2016, 12:53 AM   #100 (permalink)

Member # 193236
well here I am almost a year later :P
and guess what I have done ,,,, almost nothing :P

well almost,,,,
I did manage to extend the front bump stop about 3/4 " which "should " help with the tire fender conflict .
I also installed a viaair onboard air compressor and tank.

I also had a new set of rear swaybar arms made, they are thicker and should resist bending like the old ones. :

I also got a set of seats and console from a trail blazer or newer chevy truck ( I friend got them for me and I forgot which :P ). the idea is to have a little better protection since these seats have the shoulder belt ( compared to the stock lap belt) and have the belt incorporated into the seat for ease of installation ( or so I thought ) :

during this little upgrade I found out a few fun facts I never realized before: 1- the scout's floor board slopes outward and down from the trans tunnel ( great for washing your trucks interior , but makes making seat brackets a whole lot not fun.
2- the seats I got actually have sliders on each side mount at different hights !

which also adds to the fun factor of making seat brackets.

3- these seats have a weird bent mounting surface on one of the legs - which had to be cut and re-welded into position.

4- scout seats are held in by some dinky little bolts.

any how , I started taking measurements and what not and began my quest for fabbing seat brackets, and out of a few 2x2 angle iron stock I got this :

which looks like this in the truck, after welding and painting them and installing a security box :

and here is the end result :

I still have to drill the brackets and floor to put some beefier bolts to hold the bracket in , I also still have to mount the center console in place and install a bunch of switches and wire them .

all in all these seats are ok , they are a bit firmer than the original ones , and they don't tilt forward ( I don't use the rear seat so that is ok ) . and after all this they sit just as high as the originals ,,, which is not really a good thing but I had to have them sit like that because of the stupid mounting legs they had.

so next up is removing the front fenders and fixing the mangled core support , installing the center console , fabbing up a switch panel for said console panel , wiring in a hazard switch, and trying to figure out what else I need to repair on this thing .

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.